IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Ci7tz_XUUAAFIQC.jpg

Went out to a few thrifts today, the loose Genesis 1 was surprisingly in good condition for $10 and fortunately it shares cables with the master system I already own so I could test it. The xbox remote seems to not work though.

Edited by FireStar
  • Like 1

It's not often you find the XBox remote without the receiver. Usually it's the other way around! In fact I've got several extra receivers, so FireStar, if you don't find one soon, ping me if you're interested and we can work something out.

You could download netflix from the Nintendo store, so why was it released on disc. If you cannot download the files, you also wouldn't be able to watch online content.

Originally, you needed a disc to install it. I remember having one, but I have no idea where it is. It was made available via the Nintendo store at a later date.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/18/netflix-on-wii-drops-the-clunky-disc-requirement-starts-streami/

I drove by a little tag sale on Saturday and saw a Genesis 1 just sitting in a bag...walked down from my grandmother's house and asked him how much he wanted for the bag, which had a bunch of games too...he said "I dunno, 5 bucks? I just want it out of my basement." I said hell man it's worth more than that, so I gave him 10. The Genesis took some serious cleaning (it looks sharp now) but that was actually kind of fun, I had never opened one up before. Was happy to see Toe Jam and Earl in there!

IMG_0880.jpg

• Like 4

Nice haul! I think CIB Diner went for $50 auction style a while back.

My turn:

Just got back from today's run. I wasn't planning to go anywhere but a little bird told me about something 80 minutes drive away. This came in:
1yAURI7.jpg
A 128DCR with 2 original 2600 joysticks. And what's that? Not in ugly "See Urologist ASAP" piss-yellow color. Don't need to retrobrite this at all. There is a warranty seal on the back, not sure if it's CBM original or a computer store salesperson. But that is not all. In the same sale I also got:
sD62xsd.jpg
A number of boxed games including a very highly desired Ultima box that is almost mint. I did not check yet but the manual, map, and reference card seems missing, they may be in another box. I did find a receipt from 1991 for $40 for this game.
w8yPZ3i.jpg
and a whole lotta floppy disks to check out.

And about a pound of dust bunnies. I think it sat somewhere for many years before it finally crawled out today for me to buy. Not pictured, an old 12" B&W TV with game switch for this computer. I'll probably slap "WORKS, FREE" sign on it and abandon it somewhere public. :D

I am still going through to find out what's complete and what's missing.

All of the above for

$75 USD plus about 6 gallons of gas for the trip at about $2.40 per gal for about $14.40 in gas

This is the 4th time I've seen a 128 in the wild, the third time I bought it, and the first time it is in original factory color. :D

• Like 4

update: I didn't find the missing Ultima stuff but I did find about 100 commercial disks for AD&D, seems like maybe the entire C64 library worth? plus receipt from Target for computer game for $34.99, probably one of the AD&D game. Also Bard Tales III and many other commercial games plus some disks that are illegal copies :D

The 2 Legacy of the Ancients, one seems complete and one is disk only.

128D seems to be working fine in both modes and games are running off disk drive without issues most of the time. A few disks seems to fail but it's probably bad disks. I did find official CBM boot disk and C128/1571 demo disk, both are bad (nothing to load, fails at directory check) so I'd need to reimage it from SD2IEC and disk copy program.

Lastly a typing tutor program for DOS in the mix. Probably an old disk the previous owner intended to erase and reuse. There were many recycled disks in one box and many new blank disks in another box.

• Like 2

I made the long trip to my favorite flea market over the weekend and came home with this.post-40273-0-29835700-1464623584_thumb.jpeg

Bally Astrocade, 3 controllers, 8 games. The guy said it powered on, but I figured it was probably 50/50 or whether any given Astrocade works. The thing I was after was the games. It had $125 price tag on it and he gave me the usual spiel about how rare it is and how much it sells for online. I took it home for $90. And surprisingly it works, really good even.

post-40273-0-28416600-1464623962_thumb.jpegpost-40273-0-95676600-1464624988_thumb.jpeg

Its nice when you see something rare and actually know what it is and what's a good deal. I won't be selling them but what does Muncher and Sea Devil go for. There's none on Ebay but I seemed to think $50 and $80 respectively.

I also got another Gyromite famicom adaptor cart and Mario 2 for $15.

• Like 2

I made the long trip to my favorite flea market over the weekend and came home with this.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Bally Astrocade, 3 controllers, 8 games. The guy said it powered on, but I figured it was probably 50/50 or whether any given Astrocade works. The thing I was after was the games. It had $125 price tag on it and he gave me the usual spiel about how rare it is and how much it sells for online. I took it home for $90. And surprisingly it works, really good even.

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Its nice when you see something rare and actually know what it is and what's a good deal. I won't be selling them but what does Muncher and Sea Devil go for. There's none on Ebay but I seemed to think $50 and $80 respectively.

I also got another Gyromite famicom adaptor cart and Mario 2 for $15.

Well, it actually WAS pretty rare. I don't see many Astrocades, and that Muncher cartridge alone is probably an easy $90. I'd say you did pretty well for yourself.

Nice, a High Definition Graphics Model 1 Genesis too. That's like the Heavy sixer of the Genesis models.

I was very excited because I assumed the sound (via the headphones port of course) would be better than my model 2. And it is.

But it's a TMSS model 1 and has some serious jailbars. So kind of a toss up. I'm happy to have it though because this model just "feels" more like the Genesis to me.

This weekend is the community yard sale for my town. Can't go out today/tomorrow (Work. Bleh.) I did got out yesterday though- there were a surprising number of games around. I mean, it was almost entirely sports titles, but considering how rare it is for me to find any games it was nice!

I did get a couple things:

SANY0016

Wario World was $1 & is missing the manual, Devil Summoner 2 was $2 and is complete- although I've never seen a PS2 case without a memory card holder before. I know it's a proper case because it has the PS logo on the inside. It's just odd. I still need to clean them up a bit. I was more focused on cleaning up this one!

SANY0015

It's a 3000 model, and everything in the picture was 5 bucks. It's honestly in really good shape for as dirty was it was- the screen's only got some minor superficial scratching, everything plays well. The back's a little scuffy around the edges, but you can hardly complain for the price. I'm actually really excited about this one, my sister in law has been looking for a PSP for several months now, I'm looking forward to surprising her with this! I have another friend who's donating a spare charger she's got to the set. I actually have no idea what the cable it came with is for. I'm pretty sure it got stuck in the bag by mistake.
  • Like 1