IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

So not only is this a portable gaming jackpot, it's a very funny snapshot of gender stereotypes. Here we have not one, but two Nintendo 3DS consoles, each with its own carry case and games, and it's pretty certain they were "his" and "hers". Here is "his":

post-6115-0-68034000-1465162655_thumb.jpg

And here is "hers":

post-6115-0-89660700-1465162672_thumb.jpg

"He" gets the Pokemon and LEGO games, while "she" gets I Spy, Scribblenauts, Pinkalicious and My Little Pony. And yes, both copies of Super Mario 3D Land were in "his" case.

I also snagged a fresh batch of '80s 45s for the vinyl collection:

post-6115-0-24187600-1465162881_thumb.jpg

This next one wasn't a thrift store find, but a church castoff.

post-6115-0-40996100-1465163333_thumb.jpg

Now that sermons are no longer recorded on tape, the church had no need for this tape duplicator, so it was destined for the dumpster. My roommate snagged it, and we figured we could offer it for sale at the thrift store. While giving it a test I decided to look up what sort of online market there is for these things, if any. Turns out, there is a pretty healthy market, with even the mono models like this one going for around $150 a pop! Lesson learned: Always look up electronics before making any decisions!

• Like 1

Now that sermons are no longer recorded on tape, the church had no need for this tape duplicator, so it was destined for the dumpster. My roommate snagged it, and we figured we could offer it for sale at the thrift store. While giving it a test I decided to look up what sort of online market there is for these things, if any. Turns out, there is a pretty healthy market, with even the mono models like this one going for around $150 a pop! Lesson learned: Always look up electronics before making any decisions!

I learned to always test electronics first before making any decisions.

NES Metroid cart for only $2.99. Older silver label not the classic reissue, 3 screws on back. This is the ONLY actual non-DS game cart I've seen in the past few weeks since finding that large 2600 lot at Goodwill store. All other game stuff had been disc games or icky common loose DS games.

Lookie what I saw:

r4JfabB.jpg

Only my bedroom has more than this! Lots of 2600, 7800, and Intellivision and a few Colecovision carts. I bought just the Bump n Jump with 2 overlays for Inty. I'd have picked a few more but I spent too much this month: JiffyDOS set for my new 128D, a 1541-ii drive I've had, some other mods, and that oddball 1541 disk drive on eBay that I had to find out. No sushi for me for a while.

• Like 3

This is how I know I'm a collector: Those are mostly commons, I've probably had at least two or three of each title pass through my hands over the years, and I still salivate at seeing a picture like that, and even feel a twinge of jealousy. Nice find, 7800fan!

If the battery turns out to be unobtanium and its NiCad, NiMh or LIon, do some seaching on refurbing recharchable batteries. Its not that hard and you basically open it up and replace the generic cells inside the battery pack.

Its (2) 2200mah 3.7v Li-p batteries inside the battery pack. I found some easy enough. But I'm thinking the 2200 is how much charge it has? So I could maybe go with (2) 6000mah 3.7v instead and have longer battery life?

It's been a while since I've posted anything since I've been so busy and haven't been buying much. I've been hitting the flea market pretty regularly recently, though, since I've started selling on eBay instead of doing back breaking manual labour.

The other day I found an old Osborne OSS2 portable computer for only $20. I also bought a TRS-80 Color Computer 2 and a Timex Sinclair 1000 computer, along with a boxed copy of SNAFU (one of my favourite Intellivision games) for the Aquarius computer for $20 from a fairly new vendor at the market who I've sort of become buddies with. He's got my number now and is going to call me whenever he comes across older computers in the storage containers he buys. Also picked up a Macintosh SE with keyboard, two mice, external 3.5" floppy drive and external HDD for $50. I don't have pictures for it, though, since it's still in the trunk of my car.

I love the flea market lifestyle.

post-31618-0-90845200-1465688891_thumb.jpg
post-31618-0-35318800-1465689202_thumb.jpg
post-31618-0-16151200-1465689206_thumb.jpg

Salvation Army today:

found a Commodore power supply

found a few serial cables for Commodore computer, one of them is actually an 8 pin to 6 pin monitor cable

found a video cable with 9 pin D connector to 6 pin DIN

Looked around really hard.

No printer though but I did find

MVizROk.jpg

next to a couple old electronic typewriters and

UWb0Zsw.jpg

buried with a few Aroma Disc Player (these are still around? No one makes refills anymore!)

$1 each for the 5 serial cables and 2 monitor cables, $2.50 for the power supply, $5 for Enhancer drive that was mistaken as large aroma disc player, and $20 for the keyboard that was mistaken for electronic typewriter.

I didn't find anything and employees were clueless when I asked if they had any more Commodore stuff in the back. So there could be a printer or 2 and maybe a few disk drives that I am missing going by the serial cables I found.

All works but I am having trouble figuring if that 8 pin to 6 pin cable is for Commodore or not, my 1082 doesn't have 6 pin composite/audio port, only RCA ports next to RGBi and RGB-analog ports.

EDIT: 4th C128 I bought in my lifetime, and the first ever that doesn't have a 'D' in it. Probably will sell it and the disk drive as it's not 1541 compatible and doesn't work well with many of the games.

Edited by 7800fan
  • Like 1

Its (2) 2200mah 3.7v Li-p batteries inside the battery pack. I found some easy enough. But I'm thinking the 2200 is how much charge it has? So I could maybe go with (2) 6000mah 3.7v instead and have longer battery life?

I think if they are the same physical size and same type (NiCad, NiMh, LIon) then you can do that but I'd consult mighty google to be sure.

• Like 1

Lookie what I saw:

r4JfabB.jpg

Only my bedroom has more than this! Lots of 2600, 7800, and Intellivision and a few Colecovision carts. I bought just the Bump n Jump with 2 overlays for Inty. I'd have picked a few more but I spent too much this month: JiffyDOS set for my new 128D, a 1541-ii drive I've had, some other mods, and that oddball 1541 disk drive on eBay that I had to find out. No sushi for me for a while.

Nice score. Wish I could reach through that picture and grab Pitfall.

Picked up the following Wii games for $2 each at a neighborhood garage sale:

Rayman Origins - Complete

New Super Mario Brothers - No case or manual, just game and card board sleeve

Donkey Kong Country Returns - Game and case, no manual