IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Looks like a fun novelty, though. I have flash carts for various systems, but I still like having actual carts around...nice having flash carts for the ridiculous priced games, though =)

Why wouldn't certain games work? Are some of the pins missing or something? Or is it like how Activision games are troublesome on a heavy sixer?

If I recall correctly (I don't fee like digging up the details but a search should reveal them) this box doesn't actually "switch" all the pins from slot to slot. It actually has all the pins connected all the time and only switches a particular pin or set of pins which leaves the other carts partially connected or powered or something. I recall people saying it was actually potentially hazardous to the system or carts. I believe there is a write-up somewhere of how someone modified it to actually work more safely. I picked up one of these a while back from my local game store when I first got back into collecting and ended up returning it after reading all that. If I recall correctly I saw one there again not too long ago and I'm pretty sure the price was under $20.

Wow, I would have never guessed that would be worth so much. Is it because its Pokemon and the current pokemon craze and all?

$300 all works. After some cleaning and new batteries and I will get around $700 and profit a good $300.

The 3ds came with a charger as well, just forgot to put in picture.

attachicon.gifpokemon lot.jpg

Nintendo + Pokemon = money. Those Pikachu 3DS's in particular still go for a mint.

Are the games worth a fair bit? I'm pretty sure I passed on some in a thrift store in recent memory. I was a little old for Pokemon when it was first big here so I've never understood it or had a feel for the value at any given time.

I just sold 5 Pokémon color games w/new batteries for $250. Those 6 gb color games minus the extra silver will get me like $300 once I put new batteries in them. I'm prolly going to list the 6 games w/the system and case for $400 for a quick sale. I just listed the 3ds for $230.

Then I will still have the extra silver and gba games left.

• Like 1

$5 FOR EVERYTHING PICTURED

post-30739-0-20838600-1473300686_thumb.jpg

The green Gameboy Color works great, the purple Gameboy Color works great but is missing the battery cover, the Gameboy Advance SP has yet to be tested as i cannot find my wall charger but the screen is without blemish, the pink DS lite works great (the bottom screen is scratched but it still functions well - missing the pen), the clear GBA works great (missing the battery cover and a bit dirty), the white GBA works great (missing the battery cover as well), the two portable CD players work great, the Tomagotchi works great, and all of the games work. The 'unlabeled' GB cart is a 64 in 1.

• Like 4

Just can never make sense of Rochester roads.

You are kidding me right? I use to go to college in Buffalo and Gettzville. I use to live in Medina as well. I would take Rochester roads over buffalo roads any day. Unless you are in the dead of the city "inner loop" Rochester is super easy to navigate via the 390, 490, and 590.

Buffalo pisses me off royally. Not only does it (or at least it did) have roads that just magically turned into tolls where you could not get through unless you had exact change! I remember digging under my seat for a damn quarter when I had tons of bills in my wallet with traffic all backed up and pissed at me. Then don't even get me going on the fact the every street is 1 way.

I need to make a trip back to buy some sausage from Mineo Sapio on Connecticut St. By far the best Italian sausage ever! I am just so glad Mighty Taco finally came out to Henrietta. Not having to drive 2 hrs for a burrito is nice lol.

I can say one thing Buffalo game prices are stupid high. Rochester is very poor and nobody will pay for anything, that's how I get the deals. I not only check Rochester craigslist but Buffalo and Syracuse. There are practically no deals to be had in Buffalo. That Oogie games charging more than Ebay has kind of set the tone for prices in Buffalo.

• Like 1

Had a great score last Friday. Took a road trip to Shreveport, LA and on the way, out in the middle of nowhere were a couple of signs on the country highway for an "estate sale". Turns out it was one of those church garage sales. Must have been towards the end because it was late in the afternoon and hardly anyone was there. First thing I spot: a Technics SL-D303 turntable for $15. Then I found a couple of albums In great condition for $0.50 each. The Keith Jarrett album is a particularly good one and I was excited as soon as I saw it. They kept saying "make us an offer on anything" but I thought the price was awesome and didn't want to even try to offer less. I'm either going to give my brother the Technics or keep it and give him one of my now spares since he has some great hand-me down albums but no turntable.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got Soundgarden's Superunknown, and King's Quest VI CD-ROM today, no scratches =) And some other stuff.

I was at a thrift that still sells CRTs, and I think they must be eBay pricing now or something, because they used to have great big console TVs for $15...now even the tiny ones are a bit expensive >_< They had a really nice RCA Colortrak for $80, ehhhh...even at 50% off, I don't know...but I'm really tempted to go back and get it because this Magnavox is not fantastic (did they ever make good TVs??).

If I recall correctly (I don't fee like digging up the details but a search should reveal them) this box doesn't actually "switch" all the pins from slot to slot. It actually has all the pins connected all the time and only switches a particular pin or set of pins which leaves the other carts partially connected or powered or something.

Oh shoot, okay, that makes sense.

Are the games worth a fair bit?

Even before Pokemon Go came out, I was looking for Red or Blue for a friend a few years ago, and the cheapest copies were selling for almost what they cost brand new back when they came out >_<

I mean, unless you don't mind buying a Japanese cart =)

Edited by Asaki

Well Those gbc games took me a bit more work than anticipated. 3 sets of pins were corroded really bad, crystal being extremely bad. I sanded them down and added thin layers of solder to make a nice connection. Gold had that battery terminal ripped off the board from someone prying the battery out and taping another one in... luckily the joints were still there for me to solder to so the battery would stay in place solid.

Crystal however was a royal PITA. I had 3 broken traces I had to fix. Works now w/a new battery as well. For what I paid I can't complain too much :)

post-25078-0-04280400-1473352666_thumb.jpg

$5 FOR EVERYTHING PICTURED

attachicon.gif100_2052.JPG

The green Gameboy Color works great, the purple Gameboy Color works great but is missing the battery cover, the Gameboy Advance SP has yet to be tested as i cannot find my wall charger but the screen is without blemish, the pink DS lite works great (the bottom screen is scratched but it still functions well - missing the pen), the clear GBA works great (missing the battery cover and a bit dirty), the white GBA works great (missing the battery cover as well), the two portable CD players work great, the Tomagotchi works great, and all of the games work. The 'unlabeled' GB cart is a 64 in 1.

Son of a...! I mean, um, congratulations. What are your plans for this bounty?

• Like 1

I'm keeping the SP (if it works) so I can play the GB 64 in 1 on a backlit screen but I am going to sell the 2 color GB and 2 GBA units. Unfortunately they all have a varying degree of scratches on their screens but I think those can be replaced for maybe $3 to $4 each? I will probably sell the DS lite and the games too except the 64 in 1, I really like that, been playing Contra on the GBC it's fun. Of course the DS lite can double as a GBA machine.

Went out hunting over the weekend. A neighboring town has a big fall festival, and there are tons of yard sales along the way there. I've seen some good stuff here in the past, so I was pumped!

I picked up absolutely nothing. :(

The only gaming items I found after visiting about 20 sales were a big box of Wii stuff (mostly garbage games and golf club/tennis racket wiimote attachments) for $70 and Guitar Hero guitar for the 360 for $30. And not only that, but EVERYTHING else was stupid expensive too. An old mitre saw for $50? An ugly corner chair for $130? Crappy old dirty computer keyboard for $10 apiece? Everyone around here has lost their minds. Ugh.

Last week came across a VG cart only of Wayne's World nes in a local thrift store for....$4!!! Flipped that sucker quick for over $100 ;) Then 2 days later found a smash n64 cart for $3.99 at a local goodwill that was also sold rather quickly for the going rate. Not a bad few days luck. That's a once a yr score though. Lol

Edited by FibroFreak78
  • Like 1