IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Saw an Atari VCS lot at a rummage sale. $250 for everything, but this stuff was in immaculate condition. I've never seen VCS/2600 stuff in this shape. There was a box of games and controllers (including keyboard and paddles), many still in their boxes. The loose ones had no Actiplaquing. The system was in a carrying case I'd never seen before. Turns out it's an Atari Club exclusive and goes for decent money on eBay.

• Like 1

Went to a Goodwill store I hadn't been to before, they had a 2600 console plus 3 controllers. No game or power supply and no way to test it. The 2 controllers has Fuji logo on it and is flashback version, not the original Atari version. The price?

7FLqFqp.jpg

Yes, $124.99 and checked. Left it behind. Charlotte store near Walmart, about 15 minutes south of Lansing.

At a different Goodwill store oh about 50 miles away, they had a bunch of 2600 carts which may have been from the same donated lot. Price were much better, I picked up Food Fight (standard cart) and Blueprint if only to encourage the store to leave more of classic games out at reasonable price and not rely on eBay or ShopGoodwill site.

I stopped by a yard sale and didn't think they had much but they had an ol' dirty duffle bag with a bunch of PS1 and PS2 controllers in it (one is a saitek px5000 and one is an original PS1) so I picked it up for $5. To my surprise it also had a PS1 (original) and a slim PS2 on the bottom of the bag. They are both dirty and a bit scratched up but unbelievably they both work like a charm! I'm keeping the PS2 slim and I started playing Kingdom Hearts. I was never a PS guy, I went the route of Atari, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, Gamecube - but the graphic quality in the opening to KH is stunning. Apparently I need a PS2 memory card too ... I has a sad, poopyheads. I do not have one. Maybe I will find one tomorrow, there is a giant flea market here in Oakdale so maybe I can haz memory kard?

• Like 2

Pretty good finds today

$20 for all of the GC stuff. The two wavebirds work great

post-30739-0-59548600-1474151218_thumb.jpg

$40 for this lot

post-30739-0-45195000-1474151264_thumb.jpg

can't get the pokemon pinball to work yet but it probably just needs to be cleaned. Everything else works great.

The guy I bought this from said he sold two Atari 2600's and some games earlier. dadgum!

Anyway he said he would have more games tomorrow because he would bring more from his storage.

• Like 3

Nice, you can get a $80 for those two wavebirds. I actually just got a fat ps2 yesterday and thought they were worthless. I got one just bare bones but I have a crap ton of boxes full of cords and controllers so that didn't matter much to me. I was astonished to see they sell for $40-$50 all day on ebay. However shipping is likely brutal. I will likely take to the local gamestore for trade.

• Like 1

Too funny on the fat PS2, yeah shipping is brutal for those but I have a few non-sports games I can throw together in a nice package. i think the N64 cartridge holders can fetch a few bucks at least too - not much but it all adds up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by a Pawn Shop yesterday and saw about 5 Atari 7800 games by their end label only. I was shocked to see "Froggo Games" on one of the end labels and it wasn't Water Ski. I've found Tank Command in the wild before but only when I lived back east in Pennsylvania and only in the early 2000's. I was very surprised to find it in Phoenix, AZ at a Pawn Shop that I assumed would look on ebay or something before selling. The Atari games were all priced at the same amount, $9.99 - and the price sticker says it's "Sega" which may be why they couldn't find it if they did look it up.

I already have this game CIB and I have an extra manual somewhere to so maybe $120 on ebay?

post-4103-0-00912700-1475254859_thumb.jpg post-4103-0-85683800-1475254868_thumb.jpg

Not really a "thrift" find persay. I walked into GameXChange today and saw an Activision Commando labeled as the 7800 version with premium price tag. Needless to say, I let this "deal" pass me by... :roll:

attachicon.gifUnthrifty_Commando1.jpg

attachicon.gifUnthrifty_Commando2.jpg

attachicon.gifUnthrifty_Commando3.jpg

Sorry for my crappy cell phone pictures...

I returned to that GameXChange today, picked up the Activision Commando still stagnating on the shelf, and informed the clerk it was not the 7800 version. She repriced it at a much more reasonable $9.95 and then I purchased it... :grin:

okay as promised pictures:

$10 for the Dreamcast lot. All four controllers work great and the unit loads burned discs. No A/V cord though.

post-30739-0-78490800-1475426261_thumb.jpg

$3 for these games. The N64 game is SOTE.

post-30739-0-25442200-1475426300_thumb.jpg

$8 for the 2600 game lot. Even includes a Parker Brothers mystery game!

post-30739-0-54001400-1475426337_thumb.jpg

$12 for the PS1 and PS2 lot

post-30739-0-08409800-1475426378_thumb.jpg

$25 for the rest. There were so many old computers & parts it was difficult to pick what to get. Lots of Windows 95/98 stuff and of course some DOS items. I could not get everything but I wish I had the room in the garage because I would have grabbed a few more pieces. I have never seen 8" floppies in the wild. It was the first thing I grabbed at the estate sale. I picked up four containers of 5.25 floppies. Not too many original disks but I did find a Zork I. Lots of CP/M and something called "Valdocs"

post-30739-0-32110200-1475426554_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-18129800-1475426580_thumb.jpg

post-30739-0-81817600-1475426665_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-17920300-1475426681_thumb.jpg

This Epson is a PX-8. I could not locate the power supply.

post-30739-0-84134000-1475426695_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-89648900-1475426737_thumb.jpg

I don't think this printer was ever removed from the box

post-30739-0-40797400-1475426782_thumb.jpg

This Epson is the QX-10. It has a funky card installed on the side for a "battery back up" box that you plug into the wall. The cable for the monitor is an 8 pin on the computer side to a 7 pin on the monitor side. I suppose the computer provides the power to the monitor as the monitor has no external power cord. I picked up two keyboards (or I should say they threw them in to get rid of them!) because I do not know which one originally went with the computer. I have yet to test.

post-30739-0-43629800-1475426940_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-97533800-1475426954_thumb.jpg

post-30739-0-25155600-1475426971_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-21477800-1475426984_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

They had a few more towers but they were massive and i don't really have the room so I had to pass. I guess the QX-10 was Epson's first personal computer and the PX-8 is considered one of the first truly portable computers. The estate sale had numerous 5.25 disk drives (all internal) and some data switches and a few main boards but they were all scattered throughout the house/garage/shed. It took me over an hour to locate all of the above finds and pick out what to get/what to leave behind. Lots of N scale train stuff too. There must have been over 1,000 DVD's and CD's.

Nice haul, Grig! Hopefully the wifeoid and 6,000 little Griglings approve.

---

The bits in these first two pictures set me back about $40.

post-6115-0-13305000-1475454882_thumb.jpg post-6115-0-15508600-1475454892_thumb.jpg

And...

post-6115-0-64050700-1475455030_thumb.jpg

...my thrift store was donated its second ever PS3, and first working PS3! Now I have a way of testing discs without stealing time on the PS3 belonging to my roommate's sister and her family. Of course, they also have a PS4 and a Wii-U and a 360... They're not exactly hurting for entertainment. Anyway...

post-6115-0-82299000-1475455064_thumb.jpg

This collection of DVDs isn't particularly special, but the way I acquired them kind of is. My roommate found these in, of all places, a newspaper recycle bin. Perfectly working discs, fully packaged, very inappropriately abandoned. Sadly they'd been rained on before we picked them up, so the covers are a bit worse for wear, but the discs themselves are just fine. One or two of these I'm even interested in seeing. As for the rest, I'm sure the thrift store will appreciate them.

• Like 1

The QX-10 computer seems to work - unfortunately the CP/M disk is corrupted so I am unable to fully load CP/M to check the other disks. I think a lot of the disks are for Windows so they will not work on the Epson QX-10. I think I missed the boxed CP/M disks at the estate sale. Bummer. There are some other Valdocs disks and some "D&D" character disks - sure wish I would have picked up that huge tower to see what was on those. Oh well, maybe another day. I'm pretty sure I can sell the QX-10 and the monitor since they seem to work.

Not a thrift find, but still an amusing discovery. I have my mother's vinyl records in my storage unit, and after I acquired some more 45's from the '50s and '60s, I decided to compare them with her collection from childhood. I found this little gem in her stash...

post-6115-0-09979700-1476242867_thumb.jpg

Hey, Brian, haven't you heard? :D

• Like 1

I stopped by a yard sale and didn't think they had much but they had an ol' dirty duffle bag with a bunch of PS1 and PS2 controllers in it (one is a saitek px5000 and one is an original PS1) so I picked it up for $5. To my surprise it also had a PS1 (original) and a slim PS2 on the bottom of the bag. They are both dirty and a bit scratched up but unbelievably they both work like a charm! I'm keeping the PS2 slim and I started playing Kingdom Hearts. I was never a PS guy, I went the route of Atari, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, Gamecube - but the graphic quality in the opening to KH is stunning. Apparently I need a PS2 memory card too ... I has a sad, poopyheads. I do not have one. Maybe I will find one tomorrow, there is a giant flea market here in Oakdale so maybe I can haz memory kard?

At a Walmart near me, they still have brand new officially licensed PS2 memory cards :-D ...but for $30 bucks a piece :roll:

Edited by TheObscureGamer

Have not gotten this gaming PC off the ground which I've been trying to do for atleast 2 years now but I have scored some sweet deals on some physical copies. 1st I was at the flea market and some guy was selling some PC games at $2(except for one which was $3) and only because the box was a bigger box :roll: ). I got Syndicate, Hunted the Demon's Forge, Fear 3, APB Reloaded(some shitty GTA Roblox immature online only type game),The Witcher(this was the game that was $3), Rage(one of my all time favorite games), and Mass Effect 3. Earlier at the same flea market I got Battlefield 1942 collection for $1(Battlefield 1942, the expansion packs and Battlefield Vietnam but I'm missing disc 1 :skull:) Also a different day at the same flea market I got Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for $2 I do not know if these games serial keys are used or not but hopefully so because if not I'll have to crack the game just to get it to play without them(as I'm not going to buy the games over that I JUST paid for :mad:) and I won't have online :mad:

Went to this new Book store which sales book(obviously), games, music, and toys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Prices are OK on some stuff but others are insane. :-o $30 for NY Def Jam fight for NY on GameCube and $60 for a N64? :mad: :thumbsdown: :mad: :thumbsdown: :mad: :thumbsdown:. The PC section was really nice with a decent selection of games and great prices. I picked up Batman Arkham City GOTY edition($9), Homefront($5), Bulletstorm Limited Edition($5), Killer is Dead(a dope looking game that reminds me of Killer 7 :-o)($6 or $7), NFS Shift 2 Unleashed($9) Warhammer Dawn of War Chaos Rising(not sure how much this was exactly but it was either ($5), and Clide Barker's Jericho($3) all brand new. Not a bad selection of titles I must say so myself :D. At Walmart I got Ori and the blind forest($20)(seems like a really beautiful platforming??? game), StarCraft 2($20), GTA Advanced Warfare($20)(I know some will say that the new ones are shitty but they all look the same to me and for $10 how could I say no), Titanfall($20), Dragon Age Inquisition($20), Red Faction complete($10)(a collection of Red faction 1-4 :thumbsup: and the single DLC :thumbsdown: ) and Darksiders complete(collection of Darksiders 1 and 2 and all the countless DLC :thumbsup: ) Also today I got Watch Dogs for $10 and planning to go back to WalMart to get Doom for $20) :-o :spidey: :thumbsup: ;)

Not a thrift find, but still an amusing discovery. I have my mother's vinyl records in my storage unit, and after I acquired some more 45's from the '50s and '60s, I decided to compare them with her collection from childhood. I found this little gem in her stash...

attachicon.gifrecord.jpg

Hey, Brian, haven't you heard? :D

miss this

my dad had it

long lost now

gee

At a Walmart near me, they still have brand new officially licensed PS2 memory cards :-D ...but for $30 bucks a piece :roll:

geez that's too much monies. I was able to find one for $4 so I'm happily playing Kingdom Hearts now

Red Faction = good game.

My favorite modern PC game has to be the Half-Life2 series. I was so disappointed when I found out that episode 3 would never see the light of day. Episode 2's last battle was so friggin hard but "what a rush". Anyway enjoy those PC games!