IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

There's a non-profit animal shelter in the area that accepts donations to keep running. They have a store where they sell items that have been donated (kind of like Goodwill or something). Mostly what they have are old lamps and chairs and those little ceramic soap dishes with a cherub attched that you find in your great aunt's bathroom. Anyway, my girlfriend took me there and said, "There's some games over there." I didn't expect much, looking across the room at a bookcase full of old VHSs and CDs. Most of these places are a bust for me, but I decided to check it out anyway. After a bit of digging, I came home with Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank Going Commando, and Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life Special Edition (all for PS2) and Prince of Persia for Gamecube all for $5 each. All have their cases, but only a couple have manuals. Not incredible deals, but far better than I expected to find.

Went to my first Salvation Army the other day...walked out empty-handed =)

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, though...and I made some pretty decent scores elsewhere last week, so no big deal.

Nothing really worth posting about, though, just some books and DVDs. Although I did snag King Crimson - Discipline on CD =D

Passed up a Namco USB light gun, I had no idea which console it would have been for. Apparently it's for PS2?? Go figure.

Got my clock in today.... I originally bought to resell but I might have to keep this bad boy. It is pretty cool. Just to show the size of this beast I took a few pictures. This is extremely rare. While it does have some damage "cracked on outer plastic near 5 o' clock position", it's still really cool. I don't think the main clock assembly works but I will have to mess around with it.

post-25078-0-00409300-1476805665_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-13803100-1476805674_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-35792100-1476805681_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nabbed this today for $50. NO GAMES.

NO GAMES but they do have manuals and such. Still a sweet deal for $50.

I had a Zelda ocarina collectors cart only which is sweet now and I had a star fox and rumble pak to make that complete.

I already have a complete conkers. That is where I will get my money back is selling that and the guides... I'm not a guide person.

Those are VHS tapes under the n64 boxes. Apparently promotional vhs tapes from Nintendo Power.

post-25078-0-99658700-1477184976_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-71880700-1477184983_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-32089100-1477184991_thumb.jpg

Went out hunting yesterday, and actually came up with a few things for once! I went out to a local flea market, and one of the vendors I like to buy from had some good stuff.

Ht10518.jpg

YatltMJ.jpg

I saw the Roller Controller dangling on an overhead rack he has in the booth and I snagged it along with Slither for $20. I've never seen one in the wild, ever. I've had a copy of Victory for the Colecovision since I was little, and my parents and older sister always told me it was "broken". That's because you need this thing to play it! After I made the deal for the Roller Controller, I said that all I need is the Expansion Module #2 (the driving controller) to round out my peripherals for the console. He dug in a box, and pulled this one out. $10 later, I had that too! Sadly, he didn't have a copy of Turbo to go with it, so I'll be picking one up soon.

After that, I hit up another booth I frequent and picked these up:

w7EixYY.jpg

Snagged them all for $10. My first blue label Activision variant, my first red label Atari variant, my first Telesys game (I think) and a text label game that I didn't have.

After that, I went vinyl hunting and scored these:

T6YCS59.jpg

HjY1fnO.jpg

ANDqEN1.jpg

Only problem is that 5150 was cracked and I didn't see it until I got home. Boo.... But the Yngwie and Journey records were minty. And that Yngwie cover is AWESOME.

• Like 1

This afternoon I stopped by a Salvation Army store on the way home from the dentist. I took a look at the video game selection and at first glance is was just a bunch of random picked through sports games...until I noticed a Saturn game mixed in. I assume it got passed over because it had the word "Sport" in the title.

BC040A35-A685-11ED-2CC200AC68E2F738.png

This afternoon I stopped by a Salvation Army store on the way home from the dentist. I took a look at the video game selection and at first glance is was just a bunch of random picked through sports games...until I noticed a Saturn game mixed in. I assume it got passed over because it had the word "Sport" in the title.

BC040A35-A685-11ED-2CC200AC68E2F738.png

That's a good score- the case alone is worth the price. (not the inserts, just the friggin' case!)

Went out hunting yesterday, and actually came up with a few things for once! I went out to a local flea market, and one of the vendors I like to buy from had some good stuff.

Ht10518.jpg

YatltMJ.jpg

I saw the Roller Controller dangling on an overhead rack he has in the booth and I snagged it along with Slither for $20. I've never seen one in the wild, ever. I've had a copy of Victory for the Colecovision since I was little, and my parents and older sister always told me it was "broken". That's because you need this thing to play it! After I made the deal for the Roller Controller, I said that all I need is the Expansion Module #2 (the driving controller) to round out my peripherals for the console. He dug in a box, and pulled this one out. $10 later, I had that too! Sadly, he didn't have a copy of Turbo to go with it, so I'll be picking one up soon.

After that, I hit up another booth I frequent and picked these up:

w7EixYY.jpg

Snagged them all for $10. My first blue label Activision variant, my first red label Atari variant, my first Telesys game (I think) and a text label game that I didn't have.

After that, I went vinyl hunting and scored these:

T6YCS59.jpg

HjY1fnO.jpg

ANDqEN1.jpg

Only problem is that 5150 was cracked and I didn't see it until I got home. Boo.... But the Yngwie and Journey records were minty. And that Yngwie cover is AWESOME.

$40 for it all. The at games genesis controller port was not reading so I will have to look into that. She was going to sell it for $15 and then told me $10 since it didn't. She told me $20 for the sp, then the sp and all the sp games for $30 and I could grab a n64 controller, then it was 2 controllers lol.

Then I mentioned it played the Gameboy games as well and she said how about $45 for the sp, all games, the 2 n64 controllers, and the at games genesis. I said I only have $40 and she said that's fine.

post-25078-0-27649100-1477527579_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice to see people are still finding deals out there. I haven't for quite a while but I'm not actively hunting. Actually I've been looking more at board games lately.

We did go on vacation to the Huntsville/Algonquin area in Northern Ontario in the first week of October and although I saw a few things, they were all 7th gen and up so no interest. I did stop in Barrie at the 400 Flea Market where StarSoldier1 (he has a youtube channel some of you may know) has a sellers booth. He wasn't there but it was nice and had decent prices. I didn't buy anything though but it was fun just to see everything he had there and it was a pretty good indoor flea market and worth a visit if you're in the area.

I hit up about 20 yard/garage sales today and found a lot of different console systems ranging from a complete boxed mint condition heavy sixer, N64s, Game Boy Colors, XBOX 360 Elite systems, to a complete boxed mint condition Nintendo NES Action Set. However, they were all asking eBay prices. If I wanted to pay eBay prices I would buy it straight from eBay and not from some stranger untested. I think people have forgotten what yard/garage sales are suppose to be about. A complete waste of time and gas today considering I couldn't find anything to buy and I am not talking about just gaming stuff, absolutely nothing worthwhile. It has been a long time since I went out hunting at yard/garage sales and now I remember why i quit doing it. Nothing like being snapped back to reality.

Edited by thadsilverfox

Out of curiosity, how much was the boxed heavy sixer?

I don't know because he said he had to look it up first so I told him never mind. To make a long story short he had other systems that were over-priced compared to eBay. But for some reason he did not have a price off the top of his head for the Atari. When I asked about the Atari I began to get the story of how rare the system was and how he worked at Konami, blah blah blah. Just wasn't interested knowing the price after that point.

Yeah, I hate it when I'm at a garage sale and when asked for a price they launch into how valuable the item is or how much it goes for on eBay. I don't drive around all morning looking for things I may or may not find in order to pay the same prices I could get from my couch on any given day. He's probably one of those tools with the thousand dollar H6er ebay auctions.

I don't know because he said he had to look it up first so I told him never mind. To make a long story short he had other systems that were over-priced compared to eBay. But for some reason he did not have a price off the top of his head for the Atari. When I asked about the Atari I began to get the story of how rare the system was and how he worked at Konami, blah blah blah. Just wasn't interested knowing the price after that point.

• Like 2

Actually I've been looking more at board games lately.

Love old board games. Would love to see some of those posted here as well!

I've found a few good ones in the past including Heroquest, Dungeon, Donkey Kong, Hotels and a holy grail find of 3M's Jati for $2.

For old game fun, look up Bonkers.Last time my friend and I played it, we got into an issue not covered in rule: infinite loop from any spot past Lose going back to Lose spot. No matter what number was rolled, everyone ends up back at Lose and everyone ends up with 0 points with no way to finish the game. I am not sure if later reissue of Bonkers had rule added for infinite Lose issue but if there isn't, a rule should be amended that if all players are stuck in infinite loop, remove all tokens from the board at spot 2 to 12 steps from Lose spot and mix it in the draw pile.

Yeah, I hate it when I'm at a garage sale and when asked for a price they launch into how valuable the item is or how much it goes for on eBay. I don't drive around all morning looking for things I may or may not find in order to pay the same prices I could get from my couch on any given day. He's probably one of those tools with the thousand dollar H6er ebay auctions.

I completely agree. If you want eBay prices then sell it on eBay. I put money on it that none of it sold. Who is gonna pay those kind of prices for systems you can't test on the spot.