IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I've been picking up some common 2600 carts with my store credit at the local game store to send to Al for homebrews. Yesterday I grabbed a few more and they had a label-less game named "Plate Spinner" with a one dollar price tag, which they threw in for free. I never heard of a game called "Plate Spinner" but guessed it was Dishaster, which it was. Works great. Don't think I've owned this one before, probably because it's horrible. I only keep games I actually play anymore so I'm probably not keeping it, so it was an odd pickup for me but it was free so I figured why not.

post-2493-0-29797900-1478452308_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-36744100-1478452325_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

a few okay items this weekend

This GBA lot was $7. The GBA on the right is an 001 model but the sound does not work. The other two GBA models are 101 and the screens are BRIGHT. They both work great.

post-30739-0-04787900-1478468688_thumb.jpg

The Wii and 3 games was $15, it seems to work great but I need a sensor bar and a remote/nunchuk controller pair. I would have passed except it is the original white model that can play GC games. The PS2 games and the GC power brick were .50 each.

post-30739-0-81309700-1478468823_thumb.jpg

The Halo game was $1 (missing the DVD unfortunately) and the figures were .50 each. The airwolf model was .50 also. Not pictured - I also got a box of Dualshock 2 controllers (3) and Gamecube controllers (2) for $3. All controllers worked great.

post-30739-0-10833400-1478469023_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I'd say you did pretty damn good, congrats those are some good finds at really good prices. It give me hope :D

Thanks. The area I live in is near Modesto so I can hit Oakdale/Riverbank in about 2 hrs without going into the "big city". Lots of country homes out here, lots of horse property.

a few okay items this weekend

This GBA lot was $7. The GBA on the right is an 001 model but the sound does not work. The other two GBA models are 101 and the screens are BRIGHT. They both work great.

attachicon.gif100_2792.JPG

The Wii and 3 games was $15, it seems to work great but I need a sensor bar and a remote/nunchuk controller pair. I would have passed except it is the original white model that can play GC games. The PS2 games and the GC power brick were .50 each.

attachicon.gif100_2793.JPG

The Halo game was $1 (missing the DVD unfortunately) and the figures were .50 each. The airwolf model was .50 also. Not pictured - I also got a box of Dualshock 2 controllers (3) and Gamecube controllers (2) for $3. All controllers worked great.

attachicon.gif100_2794.JPG

Great find with the AGS-101s! Good condition ones go for 80+ on their own easily. $7 for two of them? Incredible! :-o

• Like 1

Know of someone that has mold and plastic injection system? I doubt mold still exists and a new one can set one back several thousand dollars. You'd need 4 pieces, the top and bottom shell plus the dust cover and the tiny slot flap. Then the spring to hold the dust cover in place.

Those cases look like they are in pretty good condition... a rarity in of it's self....

Oh they are beautiful lol. The only thing that sucks is on a few of them someone wrote some passwords and such on the backs of the manuals. Other than Lunacy missing the map and the few w/writing on the manuals they are great condition.

The problem is I should not have bought them for the sole reason I used money that was meant to resell and make a profit and I don't really want to sell any of them as my Saturn collection is very small. I have full intentions of keeping mystaria as I was looking at buying that for my collection a few months back.

I might just sell Lunacy and Resident Evil as I do not like those types of games and get my money back and then hoard the rest for my collection.

• Like 1

Did okay today

$1 each so $7 total for these

post-30739-0-31142300-1478911964_thumb.jpg

$2 for Master Merlin, includes the instructions. The unit looks great just needs a bit of cleaning in the battery compartment

post-30739-0-73011700-1478912016_thumb.jpg

Got around 14 Laserdiscs for $1 each so $14 total, a few even still sealed, like Dragon The Bruce Lee Story, Fright Night, Embrace of the Vampire (Alyssa Milano), Ghost Story, Patriot Games, etc

I paid a bit for these at a place called "vintage thrift" in Turlock. The entire store was vintage toys and games but of course all at premium prices so there was no "thrift" involved except everything was used. I paid $50 for the lot so about $4 a game. The original price was $70 so $20 off is good.

post-30739-0-95657000-1478912127_thumb.jpg BTW - the mystery game is E.T.

Took a chance on this for $5

post-30739-0-35297600-1478912234_thumb.jpg

and viola!

post-30739-0-97868200-1478912252_thumb.jpg

I kept hearing about how the WEGA was THE TV to get for retro gaming so I will try it out.

Also got a box of 40 Betamax tapes (from ebay) and they had a bunch of episodes from V the series, all with original commercials. Made me smile. Oh yes and the Knight Rider premiere from 1982 and the final episode of MASH, again all with original commercials. CBS channel 2 from Chicago I think.

• Like 2

I was just in Mexico city and came across a street market. Walking around I found a few games. There are interesting from the Hecho en Mexico silver labels to the Pitfall screen with the name OONIK on it. I have not tested any of these, but there cool as part of my collection.

-houston

post-8991-0-51320200-1478973922_thumb.jpg

post-8991-0-30520500-1478973932_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

yes ... can't you tell the difference?

I looked at screenshots of the '82 version, and said "Nope, I think I'll get the '83."

I don't know how the gameplay differs between the two, but I was a little disappointed in the '83 version, as I feel that the 2600 version is a lot closer to the arcade.

$2 for Master Merlin, includes the instructions. The unit looks great just needs a bit of cleaning in the battery compartment

attachicon.gif100_2840.JPG

Got around 14 Laserdiscs for $1 each so $14 total, a few even still sealed, like Dragon The Bruce Lee Story, Fright Night, Embrace of the Vampire (Alyssa Milano), Ghost Story, Patriot Games, etc

Also got a box of 40 Betamax tapes (from ebay) and they had a bunch of episodes from V the series, all with original commercials. Made me smile. Oh yes and the Knight Rider premiere from 1982 and the final episode of MASH, again all with original commercials. CBS channel 2 from Chicago I think.

I totally remember that Merlin game from BITD, very cool! Good selection of laserdiscs so. I love Fright Night and caught it on cable just last weekend. I also discovered Embrace of the Vampire in college and had to snag it for obvious reasons :D

I also love the V series and have the DVD re-releases of all of them from a few years back. Bet they are even better to watch with the original commercials. Not sure I could watch low res VHS/Beta anymore though. If I found something like that I'd probably rip the DVD, capture the Beta and make a version using the DVD but with the original commercials.

I totally remember that Merlin game from BITD, very cool! Good selection of laserdiscs so. I love Fright Night and caught it on cable just last weekend. I also discovered Embrace of the Vampire in college and had to snag it for obvious reasons :D

I also love the V series and have the DVD re-releases of all of them from a few years back. Bet they are even better to watch with the original commercials. Not sure I could watch low res VHS/Beta anymore though. If I found something like that I'd probably rip the DVD, capture the Beta and make a version using the DVD but with the original commercials.

Maybe my Secret Santa this year will bring the V series to my front door ... but yeah, it is difficult watching the resolution and the tape flaws - it's like a time machine though.

Swap meets are awesome. Swap meets among gamers are even better. The Houston Arcade Expo was this weekend, and part of the annual festivities is a Saturday morning swap meet in the hotel parking lot. Mostly it's for arcade and pinball bits, but several people, myself included, offer things for home systems as well. For the most part the arcade crowd and the home crowd don't mix too much, or at least the people hoping to sell stuff usually focus on just one or the other.

At the beginning of this year's meet, as I was setting up shop a guy walked up to tell me about a box of home stuff one of the arcade guys was looking to get rid of. "He's asking $50 for the box." A few minutes later I had a chance to mosey over and peek inside, and I figured, yeah, it could be worth $50. So I asked the guy, "So you're looking to sell this as a whole box?" He answered, "Yep, $20." Instant sale!

I already knew from my quick peek that I'd have no trouble getting a return on my investment, but it wasn't until I got home that I sampled all the spoils...

post-6115-0-76238900-1479104943_thumb.jpg

This is the cream of the crop. I still need to test everything, but I already like what I see. The N64 even has the memory expansion pack. That's a European power supply, but the console itself is the USA edition. The Game Boy Advance has a broken screen but seems to work otherwise. Among the other bits were some things I hadn't seen before, and might have guessed didn't actually exist...

post-6115-0-60796400-1479105320_thumb.jpg

That's an N64 RF adapter, an XBox RF adapter, and a SNES RF adapter for PAL televisions, all first-party. Especially in the XBox era, I would've thought the console companies were leaving it to the Pelicans and Mad Catzes to make RF adapters for people who still bothered playing that way.

In addition to scoring that deal, I was able to sell quite a few games on behalf of the thrift store, which means I finally have some more shelf space to play with, or at least I would have had all this not been waiting for me the day before I left for the Expo...

post-6115-0-92589900-1479105464_thumb.jpg post-6115-0-90816700-1479105498_thumb.jpg

post-6115-0-30550000-1479105509_thumb.jpg post-6115-0-29081500-1479105520_thumb.jpg

post-6115-0-89617900-1479105528_thumb.jpg

I've got some work to do! Fortunately I also found these to keep me entertained between sorting and playing video games...

post-6115-0-85960200-1479105583_thumb.jpg

You can never go wrong with The Far Side.

• Like 2