IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Got some decent scores from a local flea market yesterday:

FTaAFVN.jpg

When I got there, I b-lined it for the booth where I got the Colecovision stuff I posted last time. When I was there last time, I asked if he had a Sega CD, and he said he would bring one in from home. It would be untested, bare, and $15. I figured that even if it was broken, I'd pick it up and fix the thing.

hzp1Brs.jpg

He also had some 5200 games I wanted (Pengo, Moon Patrol, and Dig Dug). He does all his money making on NES, SNES, and N64 stuff, so he usually cuts me deals on the "stuff no one wants anymore". :P

I hit up another booth and grabbed some cheap (but obscure) basketball games:

jocXdWS.jpg

BLzu1S0.jpg

SlLXwOP.jpg

I'm a sucker for Long Box PS1 games no matter what they are, so this early PS1 Konami basketball game was a no-brainer for $1. And it's mint and complete! Lakers vs Celtics is one I haven't played in 20+ years that I used to rent all the time, and I completely forgot they made a Double Dribble for the Genesis, so I snagged them for $1 each. And Metal Jesus's wrestling video had me on the hunt for good wrestling games, and WCW/nWo Revenge Is considered by many to be the best WCW wrestling game, so it was well worth the $3.

XW07jP6.jpg

I found these two at a booth hawking counterfit PS3 controllers for $25 each. They were in a case with a post-it that said "2 for $5". I saw them last time I was there, and they were still there yesterday, so I took them home. I'm a sucker for a good time travel story, so Time Hollow looked like a good one. Also, it's selling for around $20 loose these days, so I call that a score. The other one is an obscure puzzle game I used to see ads for in EGM and GamePro back in the day, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

jFQmxq8.jpg

While that Time Hollow was a good score, the $15 Sega CD was the real winner. While absolutely disgusting, IT WORKS!!! :-o I tested it with my Model 1 "High Definition" Genesis, and it booted right up and worked perfectly. Now I could finally play the copy of Sol Feace I've had for a few years. I have a line on a Model 2 from a friend to match it. I've waited 24 long years to own a Sega CD, so this is a BIG win for me.

I spent a grand total of $36 on everything. I think I did well!

Edited by Silverfleet
  • Like 5

Wow, those are some nice scores! I was a little late getting to the swap me and didn't pick-up anything except for the broken 360 you were giving away (I just Paypal'd over a donation for the thrift store as a thank you btw). I wonder how much stuff I missed before I got there. I think I was only about 45 minutes late. I did manage to sell a bunch of stuff that has been taking up space in my room also. I think I sold more Star Wars merch and console stuff than arcade stuff. I think the only arcade item I sold was a batch of coin door parts and a very old junker bar top trivia machine.

Swap meets are awesome. Swap meets among gamers are even better. The Houston Arcade Expo was this weekend, and part of the annual festivities is a Saturday morning swap meet in the hotel parking lot. Mostly it's for arcade and pinball bits, but several people, myself included, offer things for home systems as well. For the most part the arcade crowd and the home crowd don't mix too much, or at least the people hoping to sell stuff usually focus on just one or the other.

At the beginning of this year's meet, as I was setting up shop a guy walked up to tell me about a box of home stuff one of the arcade guys was looking to get rid of. "He's asking $50 for the box." A few minutes later I had a chance to mosey over and peek inside, and I figured, yeah, it could be worth $50. So I asked the guy, "So you're looking to sell this as a whole box?" He answered, "Yep, $20." Instant sale!

I already knew from my quick peek that I'd have no trouble getting a return on my investment, but it wasn't until I got home that I sampled all the spoils...

attachicon.gif2016-11-12-7.jpg

This is the cream of the crop. I still need to test everything, but I already like what I see. The N64 even has the memory expansion pack. That's a European power supply, but the console itself is the USA edition. The Game Boy Advance has a broken screen but seems to work otherwise. Among the other bits were some things I hadn't seen before, and might have guessed didn't actually exist...

attachicon.gif2016-11-12-8.jpg

That's an N64 RF adapter, an XBox RF adapter, and a SNES RF adapter for PAL televisions, all first-party. Especially in the XBox era, I would've thought the console companies were leaving it to the Pelicans and Mad Catzes to make RF adapters for people who still bothered playing that way.

In addition to scoring that deal, I was able to sell quite a few games on behalf of the thrift store, which means I finally have some more shelf space to play with, or at least I would have had all this not been waiting for me the day before I left for the Expo...

attachicon.gif2016-11-12-1.jpg attachicon.gif2016-11-12-2.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-11-12-3.jpg attachicon.gif2016-11-12-4.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-11-12-5.jpg

I've got some work to do! Fortunately I also found these to keep me entertained between sorting and playing video games...

attachicon.gif2016-11-12-6.jpg

You can never go wrong with The Far Side.

I don't find very many video games at my local thrift store. I know that someone in town did find a Vectrex and a bunch of games last year, because it went to my friend's game store, but aside from the rare cases like that, there are no games to find aside from the scattered PS2 sports title. Luckily, there are a good number of decent VHS tapes and board games. Today, I got the best board games in a long time from my local Salvation Army: Zaxxon and Pocket Simon, both for $2! Zaxxon will look nice next to my Q*Bert board game :P

IMG 9655

• Like 3

$100 for those cases? Where did I put mine when I got rid of N64 games in favor of Everdrive version?

Yeah they are all over the place. 5 of them sell for $30. Even at $3 each it's still decent. I'm thinking I will sell them as it is just clutter, but they are nice. If I had the room to store them all in cases like that but I don't.

A thrift store was having a Black Friday deal, 50% off the entire store...got a 66MHz 486DX2 computer for $5 B)

20 MB RAM, this thing goes SUPER slow with Turbo disabled. Cirrus Logic SVGA card. It's got some weird Data Tech sound card in it with RCA jacks instead of phono minis, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming it's just for outputting CD audio.

Almost the same exact case/PSU as the P150 I bought there earlier...makes me imagine they have a stockpile of them and they just put out a new one every time I buy one @_@

This one's from a different owner, though.

Also nabbed a pair of Sound Blaster speakers from Goodwill, but I think they're dead.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

A thrift store was having a Black Friday deal, 50% off the entire store...got a 66MHz 486DX2 computer for $5 B)

20 MB RAM, this thing goes SUPER slow with Turbo disabled. Cirrus Logic SVGA card. It's got some weird Data Tech sound card in it with RCA jacks instead of phono minis, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming it's just for outputting CD audio.

Man that's awesome. I'd love to find a 486. I kick myself for getting rid of so many older computers from that era now I can't find one to save my life.

I have no business keeping this thing, but... darn it, I want to do something with it.

Power_Mac_G5_hero_left_300x400.jpg

Forgive me for using a stock photo, but right now the thing is in my car and I'm too lazy to lug its 40 pounds around just yet. This is a G5 PowerMac, one of the very last PowerPC-based Macintoshes before they switched to Intel CPU's. I used to be a Macphile, but my last true daily driver was a PowerMac 7300 with a G3 CPU upgrade running Mac OS 9 and a PPC flavor of Linux. Despite not being in the Macintosh community for a while now, I know these G5's are still coveted by Macphiles, and well, the thing does look nice, despite some scratches on the case. Dunno if it works yet, but it seems to be fully intact, sporting built-in wireless and Bluetooth (no small feat for a computer at least 10 years old) and a few custom upgrades in the way of additional USB ports and dual monitor support. I really don't have time or the room to get into yet another hobby, but I'm still tempted to build a system out of it, just to see what it's like working on the fastest Power Mac. We'll see how far I get.

• Like 3

Man that's awesome. I'd love to find a 486. I kick myself for getting rid of so many older computers from that era now I can't find one to save my life.

Yeah, I kick myself too...we used to have a whole bunch of old IBM compatibles (someone threw them out before Y2K), and they all got scrapped >_< Not sure what processors they had, but they all came with monochrome monitors, and I had a lot of fun messing around with them. At the very least I could've used a case or two, because shipping costs makes it very undesirable to purchase online.

At least I made sure to keep all of the Model-M keyboards B)

We also got rid of most of our IBM PC Jr. collection, and those would've been great to still have.

back in the day ...

PC Jr. was our first computer......in 1997 @_@

We had one that was stock, and one that had a ton of upgrades. We had BASIC, and King's Quest, and Space Quest, and some other games that didn't matter as much. We had a dot matrix printer, one joystick, and thankfully zero of those wireless/chicklet keyboards.

We bought a "real" computer, a Pentium 150 from Packard Bell with Windows 95, shortly afterwards.

FYI To anyone that wants xmas lights. I was looking for a good deal on icicle lights and they are not cheap. I thought I had some but they are gone and I was bummed to think it was going to cost me $300+ to do the house and I wasn't going to buy any.

Then I was browsing Target and they have 300 count icicle lights for $7.99 each and they cover almost 20' which is amazing. However what is better is they have a sale for like 3 more days for the "Wondershop" brand only at Target.... Spend $50 get $10 off or spend $100 and get $25 off. "Coupon required in store but all the cashiers have a flyer".

So I bought 13 sets or about 260' worth of lights for $85. If I had purchased online I probabaly could have save another $6 or so for tax but I didn't want to wait. Now instead of doing a portion of the house like I had planned I am doing the entire house lol. I have a corner house so doing it all is kind of needed lol.

post-25078-0-61544500-1480559451_thumb.jpg

• Like 1