IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

My mistake.

Pretty pathetic for a man to be "complete" by getting a video game system. A insignificant system too. Those go for $5 at the flea markets. "Complete" with a Turbografx CD? Maybe...

Jeez, I'd like to get to know Mr. Wei first. Seems like a scam. Buyer beware!

You don't understand, it's a charity drive for a man named Wei, whose life will be complete once he gets a Wii and games.

Dreamcast $9 at Goodwill. Then I heard something loose inside. Every single screw had been removed and stored inside the Dreamcast, it seems the former owner couldn't figure out why the controllers didn't work and gave up. Rotating the F1 180 degrees fixed it to verify that nothing was really wrong with the system, though I read conflicting info about how to make a permanent repair. (Some posts suggest that rotating F1 is a legitimate repair.)

Edited by towmater

They are all getting back into the retro thing now. Just has to be long enough to be considered retro. He said they have no Play Station 2 games because it has not been long enough to be considered classic yet.

I would not buy a PS 2 game at GameStop when they do start to sell them. We have a regional chain for that stuff that actually sells the games with the case, and generally the instructions. I suspect GS will stuff their scratched up PS 2 discs in their yellow envelopes.

Hi there, new member here, and I'm pretty sure that I'm posting in the right spot, but if not, please let me know. I've got the opportunity to purchase a Video Action III system at a local thrift shop when they open on monday (I know the owner and he's holding it for me), and to be honest, I know nothing about it. I guess it either could be a thrift find, or a thrift dud. I've found one post where a member referred to it as one of the first to have an AI feature, but I can't get a hold of him since he hasn't been on since 2014 lol I've done my googling, and have only found 2 articles, with maybe 6 sentences on it combined. I'm not necessarily looking to find a valuation on it or anything like that, but any information anybody has on it would be most appreciated!

Hey bobit99....is this what you're talking about? http://www.pong-story.com/url.htm. It's a little bit down the page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes sir! that's one of the two sources I've been able to find on it.

Here's the other: https://books.google.com/books?id=3FwGMtRafrAC&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=Universal%20Research%20Labs%20video%20action%20III&source=bl&ots=1ltoXnSsn9&sig=j1GSicCCatIxKFCmMxtcie9j7ng&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZrd-QzK7RAhVC2IMKHTkHCIc4ChDoAQgwMAQ#v=onepage&q=Universal%20Research%20Labs%20video%20action%20III&f=false

It says how much it cost brand new, and that it basically died in obscurity, but that's all I've found on it. Do you collect dedicated consoles like this?

On the "Pong Story" link above they mention the first version:

They also produced their first Video Action arcade game, model VA-I, housed into an octagonal table. A few thousands were produced.

In arcade circles there is an octagonal pong game that I see pop up semi-frequently that nobody seems to want. I wander if thats the game mentioned above.

Take some pics and post them here if you get it bobit, it looks and sounds very interesting.

Well, here they are, I took them as I un-boxed it....I didn't know that it was in it's original packaging. Not sure the styrofoam is original, but I can manage if it's not lol. the only gripe I have is that they wrote $50.00 OBO in big black letters on one of the inside flaps....but since I didn't even know it was coming with a box, I don't think I have the room to complain too much. Other extras it had with it include the manual, and what I can only assume are the original cords, adapter, and power supply. It says on the box that it can run off batteries, but I don't see a spot to put them, so I can only assume it came with an attachable battery pack that isn't included (it's very possible that I could be wrong about that assumption though). Again, any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

DSC07234

DSC07233

DSC07232

DSC07231

DSC07230

DSC07227

DSC07229

• Like 4

Very cool find, bobit99 (and welcome to the forums), especially with the original box.

Even if not valuable (although I'm guessing it HAS value since there are NONE on eBay), it's a great conversation piece.

Thanks for sharing the find. Let us know if it works!

That's quite an interesting item! I like how it refers to the CPU as a "robot" as opposed to there being a player 2. How does that difficulty spinner adjust? Is it "clicky" with a definite number of stops, like 3, which would represent 3 difficulty levels?

$12.50 (half off) from a thrift store:

NSDxqgO.jpg

F3PBgxm.jpg

Link cable appears unused. Audio ear buds never used. Has Tetris and Race Drivin' game along with GB unit. The box, foam tray, foam top (not pictured), instruction for GB and Tetris (not pictured either) and the GB unit looks new, like someone got it, played with it for a short time, then boxed it up and forgot about it. The batteries are the only thing missing from the original retail box set.

Sadly GB doesn't work on battery, the battery contact has white crud and when I took it apart, the + tab fell off the mainboard. It had corroded through so I'd have to clean the battery compartment, the remaining metal tab (if it's not destroyed), and get replacement part. I was able to make it work on AC adapter, no missing line which is pretty rare for "fat" GB units. Not the earliest one but slightly later issue, the earliest ones didn't use tri-wing screws. Maybe 1990 or 1991 issue?

• Like 4

That's quite an interesting item! I like how it refers to the CPU as a "robot" as opposed to there being a player 2. How does that difficulty spinner adjust? Is it "clicky" with a definite number of stops, like 3, which would represent 3 difficulty levels?

I'll be able to let you know for sure when I dig my adapter out and try and turn it on tomorrow, but I think the player setting is for the second, third and fourth players, and the "robot" setting is to play against the computer. The difficulty spinner though isn't clicky, it's actually smooth. I haven't had a lot of time today to get too much into the manual, but I'm kinda curious as to how that works.

$12.50 (half off) from a thrift store:

NSDxqgO.jpg

F3PBgxm.jpg

Link cable appears unused. Audio ear buds never used. Has Tetris and Race Drivin' game along with GB unit. The box, foam tray, foam top (not pictured), instruction for GB and Tetris (not pictured either) and the GB unit looks new, like someone got it, played with it for a short time, then boxed it up and forgot about it. The batteries are the only thing missing from the original retail box set.

Sadly GB doesn't work on battery, the battery contact has white crud and when I took it apart, the + tab fell off the mainboard. It had corroded through so I'd have to clean the battery compartment, the remaining metal tab (if it's not destroyed), and get replacement part. I was able to make it work on AC adapter, no missing line which is pretty rare for "fat" GB units. Not the earliest one but slightly later issue, the earliest ones didn't use tri-wing screws. Maybe 1990 or 1991 issue?

$12.50 is worth it just for the box and unused earbuds...

• Like 1

Having a good relationship with local game store employees can be a real blessing. I was telling one of the employees how much I loved games by Lucasarts a few weeks back. Well I went in today and he presented me with a gift of not only two CIB gatefold boxes for Combat and Air Sea Battle but this absolutely gorgeous hardcover book called Rogue Leaders with is the complete history of Lucasarts and all their games and the illustrations are just beautiful. Think "Art of Atari" for Lucasarts. I was absolutely floored that he was just giving this to me.

I also took a picture of a Diskun Prize Award disk which is apparently very rare and valuable. A local collector brought it in with some other pretty amazing things like a Mike Tyson signed NES "Punch Out" and a SMB3 signed by Charles Martinet (voice of Mario)

post-2493-0-35297900-1484417091_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-26231200-1484417116_thumb.jpg

• Like 4