IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

If I ever do, I get first dibs! :)

It's funny you mention the Casio ROM Packs. I remember when they were still sold new. $20 a pop for four, maybe five songs. *snip*

I got lucky the other day on ebay. Grabbed up with a lowball offer a $10 purchase of 2 ROM packs.

http://www.crumblenet.co.uk/keyb/packdata/rompacks.php

How to Play your Casio ROM Keyboard

1. Beautiful Brown Eyes

2/3. Marianne

4/5. Skaters Waltz

6. Du, Du, Liegst Mir Im Herzen

7. Chopsticks

8/9. When the Saints Go Marchin' In

10. My Wild Irish Rose

11. Michael, Row The Boat Ashore

Movie Pops

1. Arthur's Theme

2. Eye Of The Tiger

3. Can You Read My Mind

4. The Summer Knows

That should be more than enough selection especially with double the content on the one.

• Like 1

You're right. I'm just cheap and don't want to pay more than $10 on one of them so what I do is ignore the singles and watch for small lots on ebay. If there's something I'd like to learn on the card I take a shot at it. Once I got the keyboard last year I went hunting and finding much on it isn't easy or very useful, but that one site was very helpful on the pack so I kept it for exactly that reason, samples, and lists of everything that was made (including JP release only stuff too.)

I haven't actually been able to buy anything here yet, sold a lot of games though which surprised me. I've got a tidy sum in my PP account but I'm also fairly stingy due to real life money issues so I have to sell to get. At this rate I'm eyeballing a NeoGeoX gold, but I can't get a clear easy image painted for me how to get one of those NGX Tool SD card adapters setup with an arcade game rom set on it. I'd be more inclined to pull the trigger, but I haven't. NGPC I want another too, but with such a small library and scalpers wrecking the market on them fairly recently in some years now I won't buy it yet when SAINT gets that NGPC flash kit ready I may just pop for that and a handheld and consider it a closed handheld like the non-SD using atgames GG/SMS device(I have it, it's excellent.) Another would be selling my retron5 and upgrading to a RetroFreak since it takes a SD card for ROMs and I can just dump my carts to it and keep them safe as they age. Stuff like that I'd do, but going hog wild on random stuff, thankfully I'm mostly over pissing cash on games or it would be gone quick. I'll probably end up saving much, using some on Switch, perhaps getting a MVS game or two but that won't eat up what's in there.

scored all for 40 bucks....I think I did pretty well

Wow! Great haul, congrats!

I just went a little crazy and decided to buy a Memorex VIS with all the trimmings for an amount of money that I'm not really comfortable posting publicly. Let's just say it was mercifully less than $100 but I think that the value of my collection might have just dropped by virtue of the new neighbor moving in. Hmm. I'm not sure why I did this to myself.

• Like 1

I got very lucky today on an off chance being a county over and walking into a flea market today. Found for $5 an original SNES controller in pretty much great shape. But that's not really the wow.

Free Dreamcast games. They were fairly well abused and uncertain to work. I've known the guy running the indoor spot for years, he was surprised he had any as Dreamcast games are prone to death over little marks as he put it. He let me have the 6 I found! Of them 1 (surfing game) was a total goner (as was the top part of the clamshell.) The other 5 working for a good hour using a Novus 1, 2 and 3 level bottle kit I was able to using a microfiber cloth hand resurface much of the wear away. Quite a few curving scratches, scuffs, odd lines and things. Now all (but 1 I did it to) are working it appears. At least I could boot them and play a stage/course or so into them. The resurfacing now has caused a very find plethora of circular/curved microscuffs, but got out the bad stuff...fair trade off to me for freebies.

Ended up with Bang Gunship Elite, San Francisco Rush 2049, Maximum Pool(the clean disc), Hydro Thunder(AllStars), and Army Men Sarge's Heroes. Plan to keep the first three, the other two one is a copy(HT) and the other not a fan of the series. Probably going to stuff em up on ebay or whatever to get my $5 back for the controller. :D

• Like 1

Ended up with Bang Gunship Elite, San Francisco Rush 2049, Maximum Pool(the clean disc), Hydro Thunder(AllStars), and Army Men Sarge's Heroes. Plan to keep the first three, the other two one is a copy(HT) and the other not a fan of the series. Probably going to stuff em up on ebay or whatever to get my $5 back for the controller. :D

If you do put them up on eBay, please describe in detail the condition of the discs and don't be an asshat like some of these eBay sellers that just put the condition as good or acceptable. I had one guy state that the Mega Man 2 cartridge for the NES was in VERY GOOD condition but did not state that the fucken thing had white paint on the sides. Needless to say I got a partial refund that was acceptable to me.

I know I'm new around here, but a few know me from NintendoAge and Racketboy and I'm pretty strong with both buying and selling on ebay and I'm one of the rare people at this rate who have never taken a hit by some scrub on there and I've been on there since the site went live. Why? I'm honest to a fault and it probably does cost me a bit too but I'd rather not give a douche an out. Paranoia too I will take really clean images and usually even more I don't list if someone wants to threaten or attempt a bait n' switch.

When it comes to discs I hate selling them especially in jewel cases and I get paranoid buying them too. When I do end up selling Army Men and Hydro Thunder I'll do an added image over what I usually display. I'll have to find a way to capture the bottom of the disc to cover my ass. Usually with a disc since I don't buy anything but clean to minimally scuffed up I will usually just show the folded out jewel case with the manual laid outside of the to flap, and the disc art up and that's it. But due to the damages I'd snap it so the damaged cases would show too. They'd be listed as Acceptable. I'd also mention they were hosed and I hand buffed them out to the finish in the image which would show many circular light swirls to the disc. No reason to give some jerk an out, and then I'd likely sell them for roughly 1/2 the going rate of a nice one just to move them along to someone who isn't uptight.

As a rule I never use Like New unless the game inside and out, case art and disc top/bottom are spotless or within 5% of spotlessness. Everything else that's complete gets very good, and then loose carts get Good. I don't use acceptable as it scares people off and I don't sell crap. I'd trade it locally or pitch it if it had no real value (or bundle it with a system when I had them to move along.) I get pissed when people lie about condition or pack stuff like a moron and it ends up being cracked (like a couple weeks ago got a replacement Sonic Adventure DC game, dude put no protection on the bundle and the jewel was cracked to pieces.) I ended up having a nice case from the first copy I got which was DOA so it was good, but the guy refunded me $5 for the trouble which was nice.

• Like 1

A couple of good finds today

Atari 800 with 11 game carts, two controllers and some 2600 instruction manuals - $45 (thrift store). Everything works great. I will take the housing apart and clean it. This will be my baby. I just need to find a decently priced 810.

post-30739-0-01094200-1486878683_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-66480400-1486878699_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-17535900-1486878711_thumb.jpg

4 PowerPC Macintosh games in their box - $8 (thrift store)

post-30739-0-90765700-1486878765_thumb.jpg

Wii with many games, Wii fit, controllers, Skylanders - $50 (yard sale) - and yes, that is 20 episodes of He-Man on DVD!

post-30739-0-40996300-1486878818_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-33385600-1486878830_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-86496400-1486878843_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'd advise against a 810. May look good cosmetically next to the 800, but I've gone through 3 looking for one to read/write with stability. The 1050 is dramatically superior.

A couple of good finds today

Atari 800 with 11 game carts, two controllers and some 2600 instruction manuals - $45 (thrift store). Everything works great. I will take the housing apart and clean it. This will be my baby. I just need to find a decently priced 810.

I'd advise against a 810. May look good cosmetically next to the 800, but I've gone through 3 looking for one to read/write with stability. The 1050 is dramatically superior.

The 810 would really only be for display purposes IF i ever am able to build my game/theater room.

These weren't like fabulous deals or anything, but it's rare that I go into a Goodwill and find anything. This particular one must have been one that had some electronics specialty or something. In a case in the back they had both an XBox 360 and a Wii. They had a rack with several XBox 360 power bricks and some HDMI and various cords. (Was hoping there would be a Gamecube component cord in there, but no luck.)

Anyway, I got an NES Advantage for $12 and a purple (indigo?) corded Gamecube controller for $5. Again, not fabulous deals or anything. Looking at Ebay sold listings, the Advantage is about average and the controller is maybe a little better than average. They had a second Gamecube controller for $4.99, but the thumbsticks looked like they had been chewed or something.

The coolest thing I found, though, was on their "silent auction" cart... in other words, I didn't get it.

post-21069-0-26934900-1487179962_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eltigro

They had a second Gamecube controller for $4.99, but the thumbsticks looked like they had been chewed or something.

You should buy it. You can get those caps cheap. and they just pop off. I bought 16 sets for $7.16. It's basically 8 sets of 2 and 4 of them are half off!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122084195208?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nintendo DS Lite (black and silver) with floppy hinge but not broken. Powered on and worked, $5. Will probably get a nice housing off eBay and swap it to get working hinge.

Also got Digital Derby Auto Raceway (1978 Tomy). No acid leakage in the battery compartment, battery cover present, looks in great shape other than odd marking on bottom edge that looks like it may have been chewed on. I can't get it to work though, dunno if I have stale 'C' batteries or if there's problem inside. Mechanical game isn't my forte so if anyone wants this for the $3 I paid plus shipping, you can have em. I'll provide photo, too lazy to look for my camera :D

Here in China, we have online thrift shops, which are pretty much the same as "AS IS" stores on eBay.

Last haul, was a bit of a while ago, but I picked up:

2x Game Theory Admirals (NOAC NES/FC clone handheld that's shaped like a big GBA). Has composite video out too!

Came in squashed retail boxes, but didn't include the pin adapter for normal games. Ended up making my own.

Screen quality is meh at best, and the audio is very tinny, but it's neat to have one of the more uncommon FC/NES handhelds from China!

Not my pic, but this illustrates the weirdness of this thing. The cart adapter slot, is basically just a pin extender, and is super wobbly. Not sure if there were ever proprietary games created for this thing.

6cb.jpg

Edited by Lyth
  • Like 1

ttQ8gnK.jpg

Not classic gaming but many of you likely used this long before it was banned. I was surprised to find them as complete, much less 2 complete in box and one set without box. Didn't buy it because why? Most people at picnic and reunions for example either pass time chatting or using smart phone, it's rare to see any physical games at all, and lawn dart have already gotten bad reputation as dangerous if tossed badly. I don't collect and I don't have a place to display banned stuff.

• Like 2

Found at a goodwill today for my wife an 18w Ott Lamp. I know probably few if any here have any idea what the hell it is, but it's a craft light with special bulbs meant for natural lighting you can't get from other products. It's a tall lamp meant to bend over your project as you sit at a table or just lap in a chair. They retail for $180 still today as it's a popular model. I paid $12.

She made out today I got nothing but a $2 wii nunchuk I needed to replace a jacked up stick on another I use on my computer at times for fun. I'm going to double down at another flea market tomorrow, may get lucky or not who knows.

^^ What was asking price?

Sent from my non beer holding hand.

He wanted $500 firm for all of it. I wasn't about to deal with this, take the time to take it apart so it could be sold legally pieces by pieces through other sites. eBay itself won't allow this, whole or parts because of the recalled product policy.

TBH I have no idea what a complete dart is worth but I don't think $500 is realistic since it had been available for some decades before it was finally banned so there are likely to be lots around worldwide.