IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I love it when things come in fully usable bundles...

post-6115-0-09170400-1489987595_thumb.jpg

A Tandy CoCo 2 with joysticks, several boxed games and a tape deck. The only thing missing is a power cord for the tape deck. But that's okay because it also runs on...

post-6115-0-57883500-1489988161_thumb.jpg

These are collector's items now, right? I mean, sure they're dead as doornails, but it's pretty impressive they weren't corroded, no?

A little more seriously, I have to wonder: Who in their right mind would trust their data on a cassette written by a tape deck running only on batteries? Those things were bad enough even on wall power!

Then, while this one wasn't quite a "fully usable" bundle, but I still deem it good enough:

post-6115-0-88061100-1489987782_thumb.jpg

I'll take my bundles where I can get them!

• Like 3

It's been a very long time since I've had a really good Goodwill score, but yesterday I happened across these at Goodwill:

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3, the steelcase edition. Complete and in excellent shape. $2

Chrono Cross black label edition for PS1, complete and the discs are perfect. No cracks in the case either $5

Lunar: The Silver Star Story: Complete for PS1, with all 4 discs (also all 4 discs are perfect) and the little cloth map that came with it. No cracks in the case either $2.

(The hardcover book that came with this set was missing but I found one on Amazon for $6 so I bought it)

All told, a tidy score for $9

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ok, double awesome for the find as well as "animal shelter thrift store". I wish we had one of those, I'd be there all the time!

Next time you find yourself on the north side of town, visit the AABY thrift store. AABY stands for Animals Always Believe in You. They don't support any animal shelters directly that I'm aware of, but they do support various discount programs for seniors and other pet owners, and in the past the owner helped secure funds for the local dog park.

• Like 3

@Mitkraft

He went to sign up to volunteer and happened upon this. He's a great kid with a kind heart. Thank you for the kind words! He is graduating high school next month (he turned 15 in February) and starts college in the fall. I'm very proud of him!

Sent from my non beer holding hand.

• Like 3

I think I got a decent deal earlier, found a $10 black Wii with a pro controller and all the parts needed minus the original motion+ controller w/nunchuck unfortunately (but I do have an original white one+chuck so I know it works.) Kind of on the fence on keeping, selling, or selling to replace with a complete nice one. I know the crappy surfacing the Wii(and U) used you could look at it funny and it would get scratches so that kind of is what it is there. At least I do know the system works completely internet and all except discs, which I intend to shortly go find one to mess with if I can in a bit.

Man, it's been a long time since I had anything that I would consider a score from a thrift.

I've been lucky with non gaming items lately though.

Fat monster component cables for $2

A Lite On DVD recorder/player (component video out) for $5

A JVC SVHS VCR with S Video out for $5

Picked up Raze's Hell for XBox a while ago for like $4

That's about all I got for the last 6 months. It's not the good old days anymore, but these are pleasing pick ups to me.

I live in a bad area when it comes to thrift stores, but I have found a handfull of goodies.

1. Commodore Vic-20 and Datasette Recorder

2. Some sort of Radio Shack computer?

3. Some old IBM PC Booter games

4. Some Atari 2600 games

Nice that sounds like all the stuff that's right up my alley too.

I was hitting up some thrift stores with my mom yesterday, & I found a copy of Q*bert for the 2600. Don't know if it works because the 'check engine' light came on & battery started dropping, so we took the car to the shop. Said it was the alternator & they'd have a new one dropped off, about 2 hours wait. We walked across the street to have lunch/wait for a ride. Got a call an hour after that informing us they dropped off the wrong alternator, so it wouldn't be done until first thing tomorrow. So, the game's in the car in the shop because I foolishly assumed we be picking it up in an hour.

Had a guy who sold me some stuff a month or so ago give me a call today. He does auctions and grabbed these down from Virginia I guess that were in a locker he got. I paid him $550 for the lot which while a lot of money is worth it. It has Bubble Bobble 2 and Bucky O Hare plus some other nice ones like Faria, Dragon warrior 3, Ghost Lion, and some others. Plus it has Truxton w/manual and Warlords.

I may have offered him a little more if I had more to give but I don't know. It's a lot of work selling these and I was not sure if that marker would come off which was on Bucky O Hare as well. It does come off so lucky me. I think he wanted $600 but was ok with $550. I did test the big titles there and open them up but most are still untested. Plus Phantasy Star has major corrosion inside so there is a chance other games could as well. The 4 games on 2nd pic on left are cracked Zelda and destiny of an empire are destroyed case wise.

I normally shrink these pics but I will leave them big to see titles better because I was lazy and only took 2 pics.

post-25078-0-25638600-1490913871_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-82742600-1490913897_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I still try and keep semi-up on the annoying NES values and up until months ago I had a Genesis so that too, and at $550 you got away clean, very clean on that package (especially so if the games aren't rotted you noted.) There's a lot of titles in there that alone are in the $10-25 range (and $5-15 in the top one), few real beater level stuff over the whole picture of it, but the gems going into the Genesis and the rest get expensive. Bubble Bobble 2 is already a good $300 cart last I looked so that gets half. Dragon Warrior III if I recall is around $50 or so title depending on idiocy one way or lucky ignored/low bin in the other. Even if phantasy star 4 is rotted and Zelda and DOTE are cracked you're well set on that pile of games.

I think that top row of picture 2 is a good $80 pile of stuff if my numbers aren't too off. You factor in the known value of the Mario's, Mega Man's, BB2, Bucky, FF1, DW3 and I wouldn't blame you one bit for being happy and not sick putting out that kind of cash.

Hah not bad, didn't know Bucky cracked a $100 yet and I would suspect given what the Famicom value of BB2 is these days $350 is totally likely given you can't run there for a deal. Such a weird situation there (sorta off topic) but some of those $100-300+ valued NES games are a total hit and miss situation on their Famicom releases which are no different. Panic Restaurant you can crack for under $50, Bonk is $20-25 too. Then you have BB2 which is all so close to the NES value, and Lickle is now a $500 cart at times vs the $1000 NES release (Samson.) It's like collectards pick and choose what they'll wreck or not. :)

You've got a really really good buy. If that PStar4 game ends up not being destroyed and you don't want it, that'll clear a good little bit more of what you need to get even, and Truxton without a hosed up sticker is a $50 cart and the manual will add some premium. If you're not into Sega at all, clearing that alone with BB2+BOH will make your stack not just free but profitable which is even better. Guilt free NES instant collection shopping, a rare thing anymore.