IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

If you have the battery pack I would be interested if you want to sell it. I have an almost complete system but my controller does not have a battery pack and I have never been able to see if it my system works.

If you really just want to test it, VB takes a regular SNES AC adapter. The contact on the left (towards the L-button) is the outer barrel, and towers the right is the inner pin.

Hmm, actually I popped it open, there's a resistor, a capacitor, and looks like a filter inside here too. Those might be important.

I start to walk over and before I can see what she was talking about, the guy running the sale says, "Five dollars and you can have both boxes... that way I don't have to haul it back home." I glanced at what she was pointing at and couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

Experience (which is more vast than I care to admit) tells me that this was some collectors/sellers "one of these days" dregs piles that they never got to. I'm slowly working my way through my own pile. Still, for 5 bucks, I would have grabbed it myself! That's a good amount of work though.

• Like 1

It was part of the Highway 80 Garage Sale and the last day. Lots of people were packing up. I probably wouldn't have gotten that deal on Friday or Saturday. He had lots of random junk, so I'm thinking he just threw all the "old video game" stuff in a box as a way of organizing. He said something about taking it to "the burn pile." I'm just glad I was there to rescue it.

Experience (which is more vast than I care to admit) tells me that this was some collectors/sellers "one of these days" dregs piles that they never got to. I'm slowly working my way through my own pile. Still, for 5 bucks, I would have grabbed it myself! That's a good amount of work though.

At least it is a labor of love. As mentioned earlier, there's a sense of pride in salvaging these and getting them back into the hands of those that will love them ... at a small profit, of course ;)

• Like 1

So, I wake up early today and get my daughter up for school... I'm up so I check to see if there are any yard sales around as I haven't gone in awhile. There happens to be an estate sale a few milesaway and the listing has electronics and collectibles so I head down there at around 8:00am. There are already dozens of people there getting all kinds of stuff but I see a shallow box with a bunch of cables and think I could get some AV cables for cheap. Here is the box...

post-29633-0-42826500-1492789432_thumb.jpg

I see that grill like pattern on something in the bottom and when I dig further I find a few disc cases and I start to shake a little as all this was in the bottom of the box...

post-29633-0-92271400-1492789625_thumb.jpg

The estate sale is being held by a private company and most everything is priced on the high side so I am unsure about the TG16 since there was no price on the box. I take it up to the register set up near the front door with a bunch of people waiting in front and now behind me. I ask the cashier how much for this game system and he says there is no price so he has to ask. I'm thinking this will be hundreds and I only have about $40 on me. Well it was so busy the guy asked me to make an offer since the other helpers are not around. I told him $40 and he was kind of frowning but he looked at the huge line waiting to pay and said fine! I couldn't get those 2 twenties out fast enough and rushed out to the car and went straight home to test it.

Everything was extremely dusty but after a thorough cleaning everything works 100%. Everything is original and all games have manuals and those plastic sleeves. Every game started right away and I played Blazing Lazers and Galaga for about an hour. This is a very fun system... I never thought I'd ever find one of these but here it is.

post-29633-0-85204000-1492790534_thumb.jpg

Edited by metarog
  • Like 13

I would be so stoked to make a find like that! Good for you, man!

Thanks... I have heard stories of finds like this but never experienced it until today. It just goes to show that stuff is out there and in unexpected places. I went back to the sale after I got the TG16 home and went through every box and drawer in the house but found nothing else video game related except a few loose and scratched PlayStation demo discs. I think this was in that box for 20 some years under those cables and forgotten about until I came along. It probably would have been snatched up too if it wasn't hidden under all those dusty tangled cables.

Devil Crush alone is worth a lot more than $40, Basically you bought that one half off and got the rest for free.

Wow, I didn't know it was worth that much... I figured the games were 10-20 each. Thanks for the info.

Edited by metarog

So, I wake up early today and get my daughter up for school... I'm up so I check to see if there are any yard sales around as I haven't gone in awhile. There happens to be an estate sale a few milesaway and the listing has electronics and collectibles so I head down there at around 8:00am. There are already dozens of people there getting all kinds of stuff but I see a shallow box with a bunch of cables and think I could get some AV cables for cheap. Here is the box...

attachicon.gifIMG_5224.JPG

I see that grill like pattern on something in the bottom and when I dig further I find a few disc cases and I start to shake a little as all this was in the bottom of the box...

attachicon.gifIMG_5225.JPG

The estate sale is being held by a private company and most everything is priced on the high side so I am unsure about the TG16 since there was no price on the box. I take it up to the register set up near the front door with a bunch of people waiting in front and now behind me. I ask the cashier how much for this game system and he says there is no price so he has to ask. I'm thinking this will be hundreds and I only have about $40 on me. Well it was so busy the guy asked me to make an offer since the other helpers are not around. I told him $40 and he was kind of frowning but he looked at the huge line waiting to pay and said fine! I couldn't get those 2 twenties out fast enough and rushed out to the car and went straight home to test it.

Everything was extremely dusty but after a thorough cleaning everything works 100%. Everything is original and all games have manuals and those plastic sleeves. Every game started right away and I played Blazing Lazers and Galaga for about an hour. This is a very fun system... I never thought I'd ever find one of these but here it is.

attachicon.gifIMG_5226.JPG

Now THAT is a find! Nice work!!! TG16 stuff is really tough to find out there, even when you are looking for it.

Thanks Silverfleet! I have been going to Estate, Yard,Garage,community,school,church sales, flea markets, thrifts, etc for over 10 years and since I live near Tampa there are sales all year round but have never even seen a TG16 in person!

I've wanted one of these for a long time but I could never justify the price to myself (or the wife). Now I have been playing Blazing Lazers and Galaga every night... this is a great little system. It cleaned up nice too and by the looks of it was very lightly played as none of the games have any wear to speak of.

Well maybe you can still get a deal at Goodwill every now and then.

Not bad for $5, but you got beat. Last Christmas (2 days before) got one for $6, but it came with 2 controllers, 3 memory cards, 2 extension controller cords, the oem a/v and power cable, an a lame loose football game just to make sure the drive worked before pitching it. :) Amusingly stuffed into a wine box, clearly someone was drinking to sticker it that cheap at a place as notoriously ebay happy as that is.

Piece of advice, odds are likely that internal battery on it is toast. There's a >$10 cheap kit on ebay that comes with a rechargeable battery + a bracket for it you can solder into place of the original and allows for easily swapping another in down the line too saving from future soldering work.

Edited by Tanooki

No picture, but you'll like this.

$29.99 at half price books, had a 25% coupon. Got a new (sealed) Switch version of Lego City Undercover a few hours ago. Guess someone stole and turned one in, makes no sense to not return a sealed item to a store for full value but whatever I win. $23 vs $60 is a real victory.

No picture, but you'll like this.

$29.99 at half price books, had a 25% coupon. Got a new (sealed) Switch version of Lego City Undercover a few hours ago. Guess someone stole and turned one in, makes no sense to not return a sealed item to a store for full value but whatever I win. $23 vs $60 is a real victory.

I would return it to wal-mart for them for the $60 :)

Found a few things at Salvation Army. There were about 20 PSP games and movies, nearly all of them without discs. I asked, they said they didn't keep the discs separate so it must have been stolen. :mad::mad: I did claim Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, it was still sealed. $1.99 (and doubles my total PSP movie collection, my Tron PSP isn't lonely anymore). Also a sealed Super Mario Maker 3DS with old Target price tag of 14.something (was ripped up) and I got it for $7.99. :D:D:D I could try to return it and get $40 gift card or actually open it and play it to see what convoluted layout I've been missing.

U35XzPP.jpg

I also found what I thought was a square camera case among 20 or so camera cases, most of them with film cameras or empty. But I noticed Intec logo and I knew those were likely game case, not camera case.

9aep09F.jpg

Opened it to see a near mint 001 SP, it appeared it didn't get much play time before it was abandoned by previous owner. Only $3.99. Doesn't power on so I'd have to charge it first, I have my own 101 in green shell. I didn't find matching adapter at Salvation Army though.

tBO3ZJz.jpg

• Like 2

Some B&M stores can be weird with merchandise. On LEGO forum someone found at Walmart brand new series 17 collectible minifigs on clearance sale of 50 cents each. Series 17 was just released! (classic LEGO space fan, there's a rocket costume boy that has gray torso with 1979 style space logo on chest)

Some B&M stores can be weird with merchandise. On LEGO forum someone found at Walmart brand new series 17 collectible minifigs on clearance sale of 50 cents each. Series 17 was just released! (classic LEGO space fan, there's a rocket costume boy that has gray torso with 1979 style space logo on chest)

That's actually easy to explain- stores re-use SKUS all the time. That batch got attached to a used number still marked clearance in the system. Normally you hold that stuff in the back until it's fixed, but I'm not surprised that a Walmart employee didn't want to bother.

That's actually easy to explain- stores re-use SKUS all the time. That batch got attached to a used number still marked clearance in the system. Normally you hold that stuff in the back until it's fixed, but I'm not surprised that a Walmart employee didn't want to bother.

How to explain cheap Super Mario Maker 3DS? Pretty sure store don't reuse SKU on games.