IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Yesterday at the flea market found one of those random mystery box big head transformer toys for a buck, got lucky it was silver optimus prime. Also for $5 2 blu-rays -- cinderella(modern live) for the wife and the good dinosaur for the kid. Also got her a nice hello kitty adventure DS title sealed for $5 to play with and a dora adventure thing on gba for the same. Wasn't anything great, but you can't beat the value on that randomness.

Wow, nice score!!! Looks a little rough, but for that price, who cares! Where did you find that?

It showed up at my local Retro Store actually. They could not get it to work but to me it looked like the RF was just bad and they did not have any Famicom carts to test it with either so I thought for $12.50 it would be worth the risk. Odd what I run into form time to time.

No doubt I'd pop around that much or a bit more for an untested one locally without question. I've always wanted to get my hands on one, closest was a tied down one at a local yearly expo here in town maybe 2-3 years ago and it had Crisis Force (which I own) in it already.

Look up on youtube how to whiten that up again, because there's a particular video that actually shows a really solid way to do it with an over the counter thing from Sally Beauty Supply which is this cream that has proxide in it. It's basically consumer grade retrobrite and you just need to wear gloves and use a basic brush to just coat the thing with it (like a bbq sauce on meat brush.) Throw that outside for 1-3 hours depending on your UV level of the day, then just rinse with water to get it off and it'll be like new.

EDIT: Ignore that -- here's the clip -- watch:

As you'll see he did an old Apple system, popped the center top off, and the calculator keys off second and you can see the side by side is pretty obvious. Going with a WHITE Famicom it should be far more shockingly changed.

EDIT 2: I'm being OCD about this -- http://www.sallybeauty.com/creme-developer/SLNCAR63,default,pd.html 32oz bottle is a little over $5. Go for it. I'm thinking I may just do it myself. I've got a few Gameboy games that look like crap, notably my 2nd most expensive one -- Trip World. I have a mobile phone sized UV device that sanitizes devices from disease/microbes. A handheld game would fit in there, not so much a console. I could see letting it bake that Trip World case for a few hours as an experiment.

Edited by Tanooki

No doubt I'd pop around that much or a bit more for an untested one locally without question. I've always wanted to get my hands on one, closest was a tied down one at a local yearly expo here in town maybe 2-3 years ago and it had Crisis Force (which I own) in it already.

Look up on youtube how to whiten that up again, because there's a particular video that actually shows a really solid way to do it with an over the counter thing from Sally Beauty Supply which is this cream that has proxide in it. It's basically consumer grade retrobrite and you just need to wear gloves and use a basic brush to just coat the thing with it (like a bbq sauce on meat brush.) Throw that outside for 1-3 hours depending on your UV level of the day, then just rinse with water to get it off and it'll be like new.

EDIT: Ignore that -- here's the clip -- watch:

As you'll see he did an old Apple system, popped the center top off, and the calculator keys off second and you can see the side by side is pretty obvious. Going with a WHITE Famicom it should be far more shockingly changed.

EDIT 2: I'm being OCD about this -- http://www.sallybeauty.com/creme-developer/SLNCAR63,default,pd.html 32oz bottle is a little over $5. Go for it. I'm thinking I may just do it myself. I've got a few Gameboy games that look like crap, notably my 2nd most expensive one -- Trip World. I have a mobile phone sized UV device that sanitizes devices from disease/microbes. A handheld game would fit in there, not so much a console. I could see letting it bake that Trip World case for a few hours as an experiment.

Yeah that thought had entered my mind to try that if I get around to it. The big thing is the time for sure.

Still the Famicom though would be fairly easy so long as the plastic is not too brittle that would be my only worry.

The RF modulation for NTSC-J and North America is a bit different. I think it is compatible with channel 95 or somewhere in the 90's on a US TV tuner. That might be why they "couldn't get it to work".

You could always A/V mod it too. I bought mine A/V modded, and it's great.

Yeah that thought had entered my mind to try that if I get around to it. The big thing is the time for sure.

Still the Famicom though would be fairly easy so long as the plastic is not too brittle that would be my only worry.

Agreed. My Trip World cart is an easy one to try on because the label itself is all white other than a little bit of it, and the cart is very green while the back is spotted off gray and yellow/brownish. I just applied the stuff 15-20min ago within some saran wrap and stuffed it into the UV box I have to sterilize the phone. I figure I'll give it like 4 hours and see if there's any change and go from there with another application or not. I took a pic with my camera next to a clean Tetris cart to color compare it by later. I just applied it around the front, back, sides and elsewhere using a q-tip. I got a tiny bit on accident on my thumb and finger tip and its gone white. :P

Not a huge score of the century or even the month, but I was happy as I was looking for both. GBA SP in one of the smaller official fold over cases with the original power supply for it, the blue 001 model and for $26. Screen other than two pin head sized spots center/lower left is spotless, body is very nice 8.5-9/10 too, no real scratches or notable scuffs. Then nearby been wanting this awhile but never seen it or was priced stupid ($15+) I grabbed Maru's Mission for $10. It's part of the ongoing since Famicom - Ninja Jajamaru-kun series and just one of only 2 ever localized to the US (Ninja Taro being the other I still seek on handhelds, and console we got the Ninja Kid which was heavily edited.) Fantastic little series I've learned to like through the use of my famicom multicarts, etc.

DATIFWWUIAA78ez.jpg

Barnstorming cart and candy tins aren't from thrift stores (used media store chain) , and the snes games someone at goodwill decided to price check but sell at only half price. Probably gonna wind up selling chrono trigger as I really never like spending that much on games, hence why I go thrifting. :P

Edited by FireStar

This might not technically count as a thrift find, but I just got a Gateway desktop computer with Windows 98 installed on it. It came from a school when they were just getting rid of all their old computers to free up space. Not only that, but I also got a Gateway monitor, keyboard, and an official Microsoft mouse to go with it. I even has all the the expansion cards i need. (including a sound-card with a game-port slot)

458cdde2e248124b82dbf380056612d6.jpg

Edited by Atari PAC-MAN Fan
  • Like 1

Wow I mean personally F Gateway, but the system itself that's a gem of a time period to get a full setup where you can run the best of what the late 80s and the 1990s had to offer.

And firestar -- while the eyes went straight to the SNES games obviously, piece of advice, try out Pac-Man there. That is hands down the best one they've ever released completely for those TV games. There's a good solid line up of games, properly done to actually feel arcade copy like and not corner cutting, plus it high score saves too. It also does 2P in games as some(many) earlier did not.

I hit up an automotive swap meet yesterday looking for some parts for my 1979 Trans Am, and ended up walking away with these:

s4QiBXIl.jpg

The 2600 games are in a cool 12-game case with a cover (not pictured), the Wii had all of its wires and a copy of Guitar Hero 5 in it, and I've been looking for a cheap copy of Forza Horizon 2 for a while. Paid $25 for everything. Probably going to mod the Wii and sell it, or donate it to a buddy who has been looking for one. I always find game stuff at these things, and hardly ever find car parts I need. :lolblue:

• Like 1

Stopped at a charity multi-family yard sale yesterday and picked up the below for $120. Sadly someone else found the TG16 games mixed in with music CDs before me, but overall not a bad haul for the price:

* TG16 console + multi-tap + 2 controllers

* 2600 4-switch + 77 games + 6 various controllers + console/game storage container

99984690-AA2B-7DDE-A68C25EF6B2503CA.png

• Like 2

Nice TG-16 Did it have the turbo Duo with it? That would be even better. This is what I found this weekend for $35. Sorry for the blurry picture but it was a wet day and I am sure some water got on my phone camera.

DAbw0IIXYAAvG8E.jpg

Edited by Professor Gull