IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Purchased from the local game store for $70 however trade in credit made it essentially free. There's a couple minor issues with the power switch and mouse but hopefully they both just need a little cleaning. Never owned an ST before so this will be an adventure

Nice looking collection. I think that monitor+floppy combo unit is somewhat rare. More often the disk drive and monitor are separate devices.

I had a Samsung 27" for awhile, but the screen started doing some weird things along the edges. I picked up a Trinitron KV-27FV17 a month ago for free (CL), cleaned it up, and was just going to use that. That one was a "top tier" set when it was sold around 2001. It had plenty of inputs and outputs, and amazing sound, but NSTC-only, but the picture needed a lot of adjustment, and the Sony service mode is horrible.

post-14545-0-20669600-1513011204.jpg post-14545-0-95101600-1513011216.jpg post-14545-0-32536900-1513011224.jpg

Last week though, I spot a FB post for $50 for a 2006 vintage Sony, and go through with acquiring a Trinitron SDTV KD-27FS170 from a sometimes AA-user...off Facebook. It was his parent's but received limited use. This set was part of one of the few series which Sony sold that was 480i only yet had an ATSC tuner. Yeah, yeah, the tuner isn't a big, big deal, but I don't have a cable feed to my "game" room (nor do I feel like doing one), so it's nice to have someway to flip to TV. I wanted to be sure light guns worked on it, and members icemanxp300 and CRTGAMER (both had this one) were very helpful. Thanks again guys. The owner had an NES, so I brought a Zapper and a PSOne w/Guncon. We tested those, and they worked fine, so I took it. This set also weighed a lot less than the Sony I had. However, it doesn't have audio output, which is annoying but I have my key systems hooked into a Pelican System Selector Pro, which does output to my stereo.

post-14545-0-56801800-1513012316_thumb.jpg post-14545-0-15628800-1513012324_thumb.jpg post-14545-0-51796700-1513012330_thumb.jpg

Anywho, a friend of mine was going to take my old TV's and help me haul the new one up stairs, all that night, so that all worked out fabulously.

post-14545-0-42866300-1513012338_thumb.jpg post-14545-0-67591200-1513012342_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I had a Samsung 27" for awhile, but the screen started doing some weird things along the edges. I picked up a Trinitron KV-27FV17 a month ago for free (CL), cleaned it up, and was just going to use that. That one was a "top tier" set when it was sold around 2001. It had plenty of inputs and outputs, and amazing sound, but NSTC-only, but the picture needed a lot of adjustment, and the Sony service mode is horrible.

Last week though, I spot a FB post for $50 for a 2006 vintage Sony, and go through with acquiring a Trinitron SDTV KD-27FS170 from a sometimes AA-user...off Facebook. It was his parent's but received limited use. This set was part of one of the few series which Sony sold that was 480i only yet had an ATSC tuner. Yeah, yeah, the tuner isn't a big, big deal, but I don't have a cable feed to my "game" room (nor do I feel like doing one), so it's nice to have someway to flip to TV. I wanted to be sure light guns worked on it, and members icemanxp300 and CRTGAMER (both had this one) were very helpful. Thanks again guys. The owner had an NES, so I brought a Zapper and a PSOne w/Guncon. We tested those, and they worked fine, so I took it. This set also weighed a lot less than the Sony I had. However, it doesn't have audio output, which is annoying but I have my key systems hooked into a Pelican System Selector Pro, which does output to my stereo.

Anywho, a friend of mine was going to take my old TV's and help me haul the new one up stairs, all that night, so that all worked out fabulously.

Shame you could not keep both, that older Trinitron has a second RF jack for the Atari and can be set to default to channel 2, 3 or 4. At least good to read the TV going to a friend. The color on it seems to be kicked up too much possibly causing that blur in the score? A tweak of the focus knob on the fly back transformer might also help.

@ icemasnxp300 @Greg2600 - Thank you for the confirmation of the KD-27FS170 compatible with a lightgun. The Specifications from Sony claim a 1080i tube with SD board, though the lightgun does confirm an SD tube. However, you are missing the best feature of the TV; the "emulated" HD picture quality. Try that digital tuner even if only temporarily. The picture quality appears to be of HD level. Even DVDs and Blurays look outstanding going thru the component input. Newer consoles will look decent going thru the component jack.

Easy Audio Jack

I know I mentioned this to you via PM, figured I would post here too for others. Adding audio output is so simple, just jumper wires off the speaker leads and adding a low level converter.

Television Mods - Audio Out - HD Digital TV - HD Antenna

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1005514#p1005514

I used the inexpensive under ten dollar Boss B65N High to Low Converter. No external power required and has a pair of adjustment potentiometers for high level input volume level. I did not have to readjust the volume controls of the converter due to the amp having enough range in its volume control, in this case the Harmon Kardon iSub 2000 SoundStick II.

This mod can be applied to any TV, especially newer LED TVs that automatically disable the internal speakers when the audio jack is plugged in. There is no alternative of just the TV turned on with an external amp connected which always have to be powered on. Really a cheap cost cutting method that modern HDTVs took away the more robust RCA Stereo output jacks; replaced with a mini plug that automatically disables the internal speakers!

Either solder or use butt crimp connectors and splice in to the existing TV speaker leads. The TV speakers will not be disconnected as to preserve internal sound when the external amp is not used. Due to speaker connectors usually tightly crimped on a fragile plastic terminal board mounted on the speaker frame, I found just soldering the external wire wrapped around the speaker crimp connectors the best quickest method with minimal risk of damage.

61tZt0NplqL._SX522_.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

I found this stuff on Offer Up this morning, two ads from the nicest lady. I had to drive 40 minutes each way but well worth it. She had $60 on the Top Loader and games & $25 on the Game Boy games, I paid full price $85. I messaged within the first 5 minutes and got both, she said that a ton of people kept messaging her but she wants to honor the first person to commit to buy.....so nice! I'm not usually this lucky, especially with online stuff but today was a good day.

post-4103-0-49881800-1513032405_thumb.jpg

post-4103-0-03474600-1513032444_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Wow I've had that luck too of people being honorable. It's nice when someone will blow off clearly overly eager predators if someone else got there first. Don't know or care much if those are for keeps or not at this point, but if you keep them that's a great bit of variety so enjoy it and a nice bonus the woman cared to keep the manuals and the dust slips/cases too which is a plus.

I'm keeping the system for sure, it will go great with the mini SNES I found at a yard sale for $3 several years back.

This will free up a regular NES that I don't need now so I can get some of the $60 back by getting rid of that.

I need to find another dogbone controller now.

Edited by SpendTooMuchOnAtari

I might be able to help you with the dogbone. I may have a 3rd spare one but I can't look now. I think one of the little pegs inside on a red button got iffy as it (when held buttons up side down) drops slightly but plays 100% right and looks right otherwise. I can't remember if I got rid of it or not.

For my concerns I consider this a mega find for this area at least at a half price books no less. Very fantastic condition $30/ea Gamecube Games Metal Gear Solid and Killer 7(never had this one before.) Same store also the blu-ray only complete snap case set of every single original series 1-6 Star Trek Movies and also the other 1-4 for TNG and at $15/ea. They sell on ebay $40(MGS) $50 (K7) and the movie sets are about $30/ea too normally so I'm thrilled (and thrilled I keep a paypal balance just in case.)

Well, the guy who had the broken XBox at work finally brought it. So he gave me this stuff for free...

OG XBox - (Good cosmetic condition, but does not power on. May be just the power supply, but I'll have to research it...)

2 Composite cables (Don't know why he had two... didn't have a power cord.)

2 XBox controllers (rubber on the thumb sticks is pretty worn, but both in otherwise good condition. Both have the break away. Only tested one so far, but it worked fine.)

Time Splitters 2 (Not familiar with this one. Looks like a sci-fi based first person shooter. I feel like I've heard it was good. Played it a little, seems to work fine. Not in original case, no manual.)

Red Dead Revolver (I've played the sequel, but never this one. Same as above, played a little, seems to work fine. In Gamestop used case, no manual.)

Madden Football '07 (Didn't really care if this one worked or not, but it seems to be fine. It at least has the original case and manual. Used sticker on case, but it's on the plastic, so it'll come off.)

An XBox 360 carry case (This is like a fabric bag, with XBox 360 branding. It's pretty dirty and has a broken handle, hey, it was free, right?)

Also got the dongle part of the XBox DVD Movie Playback Kit... the part you plug into the controller port on the XBox. I'm guessing there was a TV remote that went with this... oh well. Not like I use the XBox as a DVD player anyway.

post-21069-0-39653500-1513127095_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Went around to a bunch of thrifts today, got one of those plastic drawers for CDs that should be able to hold all my PS1 and DC games, an old garfield plush to go with some of my other garfield stuff, a 1976 Radio Shack catalog and some late 70's Dirt Bike magazines. Not actually into Dirt Bikes but I couldn't help but get them. I kinda hoped the radio shack catalog would have a pong machine listed in it but it seems the 77 one was the first one to have video games.

DQ9HJ9yXkAE2W5f.jpg

DQ9HLSAW4AEFHwl.jpg

DQ9HLyvWkAA5jrX.jpg

Edited by FireStar
  • Like 1

Wow! FREE 40" 4:3 HD CRT Sony, somebody jump on this. I have the 32" version with the exact same front bezel with Mem Stick slot. Two RF (one for Atari), Composite, SVideo, Component and DVI converted to HDMI. A solid sharp picture for both SD and HD with no upscaling issues. Yes it is an over 200 pound monster, treat it like the aquarium. Once staged should not have to move again. My guess is the owner wants to move up to larger LED wall hanger. Though HD looks outstanding on LCDs and LEDs, they will regret after discovering anything in SD will look like crap on their newer TV vs the HD CRT.

00o0o_40yQG0C6cWI_600x450.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

Stop it man I have no room for this thing lol

:lol: Oh just get rid of the couch or coffee table or knock out a wall.

Seriously, this is a very rare opportunity to get such a high end of the very best tube TV. Sony HD CRTs with a 4:3 screen are not very common; to find a WEGA for free at an even larger 40" very uncommon screen is phenomenal. For anyone doing the math diagonals, a 4:3 40" tube due to added height has more square footage compared to a 40" widescreen.

KV-40XBR800 Specifications - https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/KV40XBR800spec.pdf

Holy crap dude.

• Weight: KV-40XBR800:

304lbs (138kg).

Damn you CRTGAMER you talked me into it. The guy is going to give it to me.

Good for you! Pulling for you, go soon as you can to snag that HD CRT. Based on the picture, comes with that matched Sony TV stand. Bring a buddy and a truck. Harbor Freight has a couple inexpensive wood furniture dollies. This better then a steel dolly that could scratch the finish. Cannot emphasize enough to keep the TV upright during the move. The heavy tube inside sitting on a cradle only at the base.

Looking forward to the review, here is the Owners Manual:

KV-40XBR700 - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwji7e2UkZzYAhUBSmMKHVxBD50QFgg2MAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.sony.com%2Frelease%2FKV40XBR700.PDF&usg=AOvVaw2IShNalYqbHny9BV53Y8N3

• Like 3

It says in the ad the Stand is not included. I have a cart dolly already I used to move the last Trinitron over the summer. My buddy has a minivan type Suv, he is going to help me. He's only 10 minutes away. I'll prolly toss him $20 for helping me. The TV is only about 10 minutes from me as well. I'll have to make room for this thing. Might be time to sell off my big box pc games lol.

• Like 2

Ok first off CRTGAMER on one hand I want to punch you for talking me into getting this TV but I'll give you a free pass this time. When I say this TV is beast, that is an understatement. This TV is monstrous. I ended up getting my Dad to come help me and good thing I did. All we did was lift off a cart onto his truck and then back off his truck onto a cart LOL. I am dreading getting this thing into the basement game room.

I however have the idea of what I am going to do. I have a big closet that is wide and has accordion type doors. Right now it just has bins full of controllers and arcade sticks and the walls are lined w/the plastic shoe holders that are full of more controllers and hook-ups. All that stuff is getting the boot to the garage and I am going to have to find or build a stand (one on wheels) for this TV and then I am going to build a series of shelves or boxes to sit all my consoles on. The doors will close and when you open the closet "BOOM" pure retro explosion.

The guy even had the original manual and he had purchased a sony remote for it and he gave me some weird ass dvi to HD cable or something. I was looking through the manual and this TV has "Twin View" where I can watch 2 programs side by side....wonder if I could play two systems side by side lol. I know one thing this TV is perfect for a 4 player Mario Kart LOL.

Not sure when I will get it out of the Garage or how, it is way too beast. I am thinking some 2x10 beams down the stairs and sliding it down that way and then back onto the cart. My dad said we should slide the cart down lol. I said hell no we need some friction incase this damn thing gets away from us. I can just see the cart slipping and the wheel just gliding down the TV flopping over when it hits.

Once I get this sorted out I will be posting pics of the set-up. I need to go test and see if zappers work on this thing, I hope they do.

Ok first off CRTGAMER on one hand I want to punch you for talking me into getting this TV but I'll give you a free pass this time. When I say this TV is beast, that is an understatement. This TV is monstrous.

Once I get this sorted out I will be posting pics of the set-up. I need to go test and see if zappers work on this thing, I hope they do.

Hmmm the listing was wrong. I was just looking at this manual and it said KV-40XBR800, I just went out and the TV is an 800 not a 700, hope this model is better LOL

:lol: Hope your back did not give out. As mentioned before, keep the TV upright due to the cradle inside only at the base supporting the heavy tube. A very solid stand with vertical center support a must. If you really want it on wheels get some industrial casters; better to use very large furniture slider pads. Possibly a set of refrigerator casters mounted under a thick wood solid stand? Sweat work now, enjoy the beer once all setup.

Any questions, by all means post. Perhaps create a brand new thread full review with pictures for this rare opportunity of a find?

If the Sony Remote does not have an ANT button, you can easily find one online. The ANT button switches the RF input; the only way since the regular input button just cycles thru the rest of the inputs and whichever RF is preselected by that ANT button. I set one RF to my Atari 5200 and default the channel memory to channel 3. This works well so that when in another input hitting channel select jumps the TV over to the Atari input.

Lightguns will not work on the HD CRT, even the PS2 Guncon 2 set at hidden 100hz mode does not work. I tried and could only get a partial jumpy read. However, the Wii a good trade off for Wiimote lightgun style games such as House Of The Dead.

The settings menu surround sound is true surround sound, the TV large cabinet has a third speaker subwoofer buit in.

All the inputs you ever need including SVideo! Try retro game consoles and even modern systems will surprise you; DVD and Bluray as well. The DVI HDMI adapter cable allows the DVI input to work with HDMI consoles and movie players, but you still have to use the RCA Analog input for the audio. If just HDMI output on say a Bluray player, a digital to analog convertor splitter box can be found online. I use Component output players to avoid the adapter and use my cable box HDMI combined with RCA audio jacks. Component and DVI/HDMI can both be set to standard 480i and all the higher resolutions.

The PIP allows two views at once as well as slow motion or freeze a screen. You can have a movie playing and game running as well. Zoom either view to take up more of the screen. Yes two consoles can be running on two inputs, but some inputs only display on the left of the Twin View; see your owners manual. You will get borders above and below when in twin view to keep the aspect ratio of each view corrected. Of note, 480p the best Component and DVI mode to avoid the widescreen borders that is the standard for 720p and 1080i modes. This not really an issue, 480p on an HD CRT looks drop dead gorgeous!

No worries on the newer model higher number, both TVs very similar. newer model less run time hours. The Sony Memstick reader slot (not SD) works reasonably well, but limited memory size, at least on my 32" WEGA. A slower read gadget vs running a USB hard drive thru the Bluray player.

Edited by CRTGAMER

Light guns work just fine on my model TV at least the nes zapper anyhow. Sony Trinitron WEGA SDTV KD-27FS170.

Mine was a Sony KD-30XS955 and it did not like light guns. I think that was due to the "HD" nature of this TV.

It looked like this:

x158kd30xs9-F_MT.jpeg

Weighed a ton, had two RF tuners and had a bunch of inputs:

x158kd34xs9-b.jpeg

But, alas.... Space was no longer available.