IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Lightguns will not work on the HD CRT, even the PS2 Guncon 2 set at hidden 100hz mode does not work. I tried and could only get a partial jumpy read. However, the Wii a good trade off for Wiimote lightgun style games such as House Of The Dead.

Should have came in and read the thread first! I just went out into my freezing garage in shorts and loaded up Mario 1/duckhunt and the zapper does not work.

I want this on coasters just because the closest area I am going to put it in is only 32" deep and this TV being 26-27" deep means I only have 5" to fumble back there w/connections. I want to be able to wheel this beast out by myself if I need to get back there and adjust cables.

So that previous 27" is a keeper because a zapper works on it and it has a built in tuner. This 40" is nicer for basically all games that don't use light guns but no built in tuner. This 40" as well has audio out. Overall I think the 40" is going to be the better TV for retro gaming in general. I'm keeping both TV's though because I'm a hoarder like that.

Oh yeah, we loaded it straight up on my dads truck and kept it tight to the tailgate w/a blanket over the TV and a strap holding it from going forward. It was only 12 minutes away but my dad drove 20 the whole way back lol so it was more like 25 minutes back. Tv got here no problems so it was worth it and I tossed him $30 for helping me.

• Like 1

So that previous 27" is a keeper because a zapper works on it and it has a built in tuner. This 40" is nicer for basically all games that don't use light guns but no built in tuner. This 40" as well has audio out. Overall I think the 40" is going to be the better TV for retro gaming in general. I'm keeping both TV's though because I'm a hoarder like that.

:cool: I too am a hoarder of CRTs, my favorite screen and Avatar name. Backup 27" and 32" HD CRTs as well as a few smaller SD TVs, PVMs and and spare Commodore 1701 monitor.

Give the Component and DVI inputs a run with a Bluray player or newer console at 480p or higher resolution. The HD picture quality will change your mind that the tube TV is not just for SD signals.

Though most likely two analog tuners matched to each RF input, a chance one input might have a digital tuner? Press that ANT and Settings buttons on the remote to see. I have one of the last CRTs that Sony produced that has analog and digital tuners, the KD-27FS170 mentioned on the previous page.

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 2

The guy at work who I had been talking to about the games he found in his mom's attic came through the other day. At least partially...

He said he was really probably not going to go through the bother of trying to list these online or sell them in some other way, so he said he'd rather just let me have them so he knew they would be going to someone who would appreciate them. He told me to pay him $5 so he at least felt like he was getting something for them. He said he has more including some old systems and maybe more games. Haven't seen any of that yet, so that should be a future post. Anyway I got...

Excitebike (cart only)

SNES Game Genie

Hang On/Safari Hunt (game and case, case looks like dog chewed on it... I already have this, but didn't have a case... and now I do... kinda...)

Zillion (game and case, case is in really bad shape, missing plastic that holds the label on. the label is also cut... like the part that would normally be on the back of the case is gone... also, there's a pizza order written on the back of it... 1 special, 1 topping, 1 ham, 1 cheese lovers...)

Space Harrier (game, case, and manual... case is in pretty good shape on this one... already have game but didn't have case or manual)

Shooting Gallery (game, case, and manual... all in good shape...)

Maze Hunter 3-D (game and case only... this makes me hopeful that he's got a set of 3-d glasses somewhere...)

Global Defense (game, case, and manual... case is torn a bit, but otherwise in good shape... this is a hard game... already tried it some)

Alex Kidd in Miracle World (case only... the back label is cut off of this one as well... wonder why...)

Double Dragon (game and case only... both in good shape)

post-21069-0-67723400-1514071974_thumb.jpg

I'll probably end up selling off the doubles (Hang On/Safari Hunt, Space Harrier, Alex Kidd case, Double Dragon) but will keep what I can. Nothing of great value, but everything works and it was only $5 with more to possibly come. So now I've had three different guys I work with bring me gaming stuff. I love this company! lol

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 4

So, my mom has been complaining this holiday season that the CD player in her 1988-vintage Fisher "rack stereo system" doesn't work anymore, and she can't listen to her Bing Crosby CD. :lol: So, the good son that I am, I hit up Savers looking for a replacement. I ended up walking out with these:

Z5cyGOSl.jpg

The top one is an early 90's Sony CDP-C315, and the bottom is a Denon DCM-280 from around 2003. They were $9.99 each and were "as-is" so I snagged them both hoping one would work. Luckily, they both do. I cleaned them both up and gave my mom the Sony and kept the Denon. I surprised her with it on Christmas Eve, and she was ecstatic! Mom is now happy, and my dad longs for deafness, as she has been blasting White Christmas over, and over, and over... :lol:

Both work great, but the Denon has MP3 CD playback and my mom has no idea what an MP3 is, so I hooked it up in my game room to the rest of my setup. Man, it sounds amazing. I forgot how great a CD can sound out of a decent setup. Even the MP3's sound great!

Side note: this Savers store has been hit or miss with gaming items over the years. This store was where I found a $3 N64 and a $5 GBA SP AGS-101. This time, they had a few things, like two DS Lites at $20 each, two GBA SP AGS-001's at $15 each, and a blue Gamecube bare for $29.99. I passed on all of them.

• Like 2

Ok I was looking for a stand but looks like I will have to build one, which is fine. However any of you in NJ? You an get the TV and stand. I tried to get him to give me the stand but he said all or nothing. I wasn't thrilled about driving 5 hours there and 5 hours back anyhow lol.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/ele/6417334569.html

Spent $16 earlier. Found a new in box 2000s version of Mattel Classic Football, a good purple oem gamecube controller, a black one with a destroyed cord (cost me 99 cents) for parts, a tablet/large phone holder that clips to a bike sized bar, and one of those kids physics rube goldberg machines(new in box too) which does crazy stuff to shoot a little dude out of a cannon. Pretty pleased I found anything at all.

My good buddy who works at the game store gave me a lot of broken consoles and controllers for free. Just got it and haven't tested anything but it'll be great to get some of this stuff going. BTW, broken 5200 controllers? Wow I didn't think those things ever broke ;)

Thought you were getting rid of most stuff so you have space :grin:

So anyhow, my contribution to this thread today is that I've been finding quite a few Wii games at the Goodwill Outlet lately. Often they even include the cover and instructions. They're mostly weird shovelware games, but still.

Oh yeah, and I found an 8" LCD TV today. Only composite/RF inputs, but still good to find.

Mine was a Sony KD-30XS955 and it did not like light guns. I think that was due to the "HD" nature of this TV.

I had an "HD-ready" Sony 4:3 CRT back around 2002-2008 or so, until its power supply started flaking out. Flat screens that you could hook up to a computer were common by then, and I was glad to get rid of the boat anchor. The main reason I got it was that it could sort of display 480p from a computer with real nice sharp color, but it always suppressed the first 21 or so scan lines, even if you went into the service menu to set it for minimum overscan. That was kind of a problem the few times I tried it with a Mac. It also displayed S-video from my PS2 twice as good as any other tube set. But mine was older and used a DVI connector. I also hated it switching scan modes and found that the picture was good enough when I set my external tuner to always display 480p letterboxed.

The main reason gun games won't work is probably having it set up to the line-doubler mode by default. There should be some enhanced mode you can turn off that will make it behave like a regular CRT. Of course that's when you have a 4:3 version, I don't know if you could make a wide-screen CRT work properly.

My good buddy who works at the game store gave me a lot of broken consoles and controllers for free. Just got it and haven't tested anything but it'll be great to get some of this stuff going. BTW, broken 5200 controllers? Wow I didn't think those things ever broke ;)

Ha ha, the only 5200 controllers I ever found that weren't broke were a pair of Rev 8 that had carbon stuff on the contacts, like in modern remote controls. The rest of them you can find, even brand-new, never-used, in the box, and oxidation will make them not work. The sad part is I remember seeing a Rev 9 that didn't have the carbon stuff, so Atari really never had a clue. And then there was how the flex would get broken if you tried to open them without popping off the frame for the start button row.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin
  • Like 1

Did some thrifting and some shopping with holiday monies today, the wii and ps1 games I barely got as the cash register was malfunctioning and the store was about to close up. I was also very surprised to see the Donkey Kong board game at another store. It has all the pieces but Donkey Kong's arm seems to be a bit broken.

DSkGARxWsAEssRr.jpg

DSkGByyW4AE7L8L.jpg

Edited by FireStar
  • Like 1

That was pretty dumb leaving that NES CE. Even if you have one and kept it cherry, there are so many interesting things you could do with it for yourself. The newest breakthrough in hakchi2 coding allows the use of a USB bypass/adapter module to side mount a USB stick to the side, hakchi2 the box, and throw 1000s of goodies on the stick leaving the system as is while booting off the stick for the ultimate emulation box (n64 potential back at least.) And if there is no interest there, I've seen a few on this site wishing they had one not at scalper rates. I find it sick Savers had no clue in the least bit putting $5 on it (and the Supaboy too) yet they are known for it, or if not being stupid just not caring.

That Dk board game is fantastic. I've got a Centipede one I found a year back that someone never setup and I've used it a little with my kid as it's fun. I had the DK when I was little, wish i still had it as it's fun as was Pac-Man in that style.

The d-pads don't work without modding, at least on the first 2, and I doubt they fixed the S model (#3.)

The have layered main boards inside, and because of this the dpad inside is 4 long posts to the lower boards where it taps the rubber pad to the board like a normal controller. The problem is, no stopper in between (see a reverse Nintendo D-Pad, it has a half sphere bump) so it can register all directions at once. Games were not coded to ignore this as they were designed to work on legit parts. 1on1 fighters you can barely pull off a 1/4 circle fireball without being calculating and slow around the very edge. Games like 360 movers (Gradius, Pocky n Rocky etc) you try and move in another direciton and it tends to lock the last path you chose in a straight line instead of curling to the other direction which is basically death in a bullet shooter. A game even like Super Mario World will foul up as it can't figure out if you are trying to duck or walk/run unless you play intentionally to the edges of the pad.

I had to fix the 2nd model unit I had a few years back by using an electrical wire cap that had the right diameter on the wider open end to be snug between the four posts. I then using a piece of sand paper manually rounded it off and shaved it down until I had the right depth. Then games played like they were supposed to. Outside of the buggy core being a total shit to most chipped games, the standard off the shelf and DSP1 games ran just right.