IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

2 comments.

I used to use iTunes not only to store music, but I also bought a few songs from Apple and they all disappeared due to DRM! It's been a long time and I'll never buy (music) from Apple again! Ever! (Amazon is good, though,... or just use MediaHuman and be done with it). And Some of those songs were from a time when people kept telling me they didn't do that anymore. So No you can't trust Apple and even if (in theory) it was an Anti-Piracy move, Meaning they didn't want people selling complete albums of burned music, I was the one who kept getting burned! And yes there's ways around it when you re-import songs off the CDs you burned, but you're still getting screwed. I "bought" the songs in my mind, Meaning I can make as many CD comps as I want. I make a lot of very random compilation CDs. That's my Jam! ;) It's my music to do with as I please. (As long as I'm not claiming I wrote it obviously haaha) To hear in any combination with other songs as I see fit,...But NOPE! Apple thinks I "licensed" it to hear on up to 7 CDs. Fuck that!

Needless to say I now use iTunes only to store and manage my music.

So...Zunes... I thought they were just MP3 Players with a Microsoft brand name? I must have that wrong as it sounds like there's more to it. I always just figured you drop in MP3 files and go.

Speaking of MP3 Players...The problem is that they don't make any (That I know of) where you can change out the Li-ion battery easily. I wouldn't buy an iPod because Apple...And like I say they can't be trusted because they screwed with my music,...Like a car passenger who touches your volume control, you have to say NO! Plus when the batteries need replaced, you'll wish you hadn't spent so much :mad:

At the other end of the spectrum are the cheap little Chinese jobbers you can get on ebay for a few bucks. Some of those will work a long time and some will be broke when you get them and some will die soon...So for Me, the solution (As I use MP3 Players to hear music as I mow lawns in the Summer) was to buy a Bunch of the Cheap ones! And a bunch of Micro SD cards for them. That way I always have some that are charged up and lots of Playlists ready to go...And if one dies I just move on to the next one. I usually have about 6 or 8 of them handy and since I rotate their usage, the batteries don't wear out right away. TBH though if they weren't so small and clever, I'd probably still be using a Walkman (With mix tapes...Lots of Random mix tapes!)...

Speaking of MP3 Players...The problem is that they don't make any (That I know of) where you can change out the Li-ion battery easily.

I have an older RCA Pearl that I still use. It takes one AAA battery, so I can just swap out for a fresh rechargable when it dies.

I wouldn't mind upgrading though, since it only holds 2 gigs, and its SD card support is very poor.

That way I always have some that are charged up and lots of Playlists ready to go...And if one dies I just move on to the next one.

That's...actually not the worst idea I've ever heard.

• Like 1

GoldLeader: You ever considered a cheap smartphone with the SIM card pulled out of it? That's what I do. Many Android phones do have removable batteries, plus more storage, plus SD card slots, plus (takes deep breath) a large color display. You can choose your own music player, too... I like GoneMad myself.

• Like 2

Back in my heavy use iPod days, I used Media Monkey to manage the music on it. Worked far better than stupid iTunes. It did get bloated over the years on it's own though. The Zune used its own proprietary Zune software to load and manage your music collection. That's long gone, but I'm sure there's an open source/DIY solution for that with it's dedicated cult following.

But yeah, I just use my Galaxy S8 with a 128gb Micro SD these days. It has Bluetooth, so it works great in the car and with cordless headphones, and you can use whatever music player you want. I'm currently switching between the Samsung Music app and another app called Pulsar that works very well (and it's free).

• Like 1

Nabbed this for $100.

Came with an extra remote not shown in pic.

Mario kart

Press your luck
Mario 25th anniversary
Mario all star
I draw studios
Super Mario galaxy 2
Pictionary
Wheel of fortune
Super monkey ball
Wii play
Donkey Kong country
Family feud
Mario party 8&9
Fortune street (sealed)
post-25078-0-38134600-1520370005_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 3

Going back to the Zune for a bit... the thing that really sold me on it was the subscription plan. I forget the exact numbers, but it was something like, pay 12 dollars a month, download all the music you want...unlimited... but DRM restricted... but then you also get like 10 songs a month DRM free. I've got a couple CDs that I burned from DRM free music through Zune's service.

The device itself was okay. Looked nice, had a nice screen for its size. The control pad thing was pretty good. Touch sensitive, but also could be pressed like a controller dpad iirc. It was a little mushy and sometimes went on a diagonal instead of straight left or whatever, but serviceable. When I got divorced and moved into an apartment, I played Hexic on my Zune for the first couple nights as I had no other entertainment set up yet.

Then they changed their subscription service and no longer offered the DRM free songs. I stopped my subscription. Then they stopped everything.

I found my Zune in a drawer a couple years ago. The battery had blown up and split it in two. RIP.

• Like 1

I picked this up on february 26th from goodwill. Title says did not buy. But I changed my mind and went back on the 26th to get it.

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2018/02/warrior-5-did-not-buy.html

That was like my first non-gamepad joystick for the computer in the day. I got it because I got introduced to Wing Commander and it was a must to enjoy that game right.

I keep thinking about getting one, but that damn movie raised demand for the Zune, and by proxy, its price. I'm not sure if there would even be a point in it anymore... can it be used now that Microsoft has discontinued it?

Does that mean 78-80 era walkman prices should be dropping?!?!

*checks EBAY*

Nope, damn.

Haven't been here in a while... Regarding the K'Nex --

Had to comment on this: How the hell do you justify it to the wife? Especially after exposing the kids to it?

I agree, it's cool! But I'd be in the dog house for a while if I brought that beast home.

I already posted this in the recent purchase thread but thought you all would get a kick out of it here

10$ at a junk shop for this

a Walmart store display for a knex rollercoaster

my little guys love it

https://youtu.be/wCw8-YfrK0k

Haven't been here in a while... Regarding the K'Nex --

Had to comment on this: How the hell do you justify it to the wife? Especially after exposing the kids to it?

I agree, it's cool! But I'd be in the dog house for a while if I brought that beast home.

ive got a few things going for me lol

1 i own a store that sells classic games and arcade machines

so if its questionable then i just say "its for the store , i just have to test it first "

2 i have a dedicated game room that still has a little room left so i had a place for it

3 i have a super cute 3yr old that was with me and my wife and when we saw it he told mommy " don't tell daddy no don't buy it "

oh and 4 (encase the wife ever sees this ) i have the best wife ever lol

it fit perfect under my jukebox btw

rest of my game room is here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274798-discgolfer72s-gameroom/

post-63035-0-19933000-1520697828_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72

I just wanna know about that little arcade cabinet. Dish, dish!

made it for my 3yr old out of an table top cherry master video slot machine

its a 19 in one multiboard

Right between the register and the fireplace??? Seems like a bad idea.

keep the register closed and the fireplace is not used (its gas and have not had it checked yet )

its also a perfect place to keep the 2 little one from out behind the fireplace

Edited by discgolfer72

made some rounds to the goodwill stores after closing my store yesterday

one goodwill that never has anything and is kinda run down and dirty actually paid off

they had some perfect ps2 and og xbox games and none were sports titles

and every single one looked brand new and had all manuals (xbox games even had the free xbl cards still)

so i picked up a few choice games to replace the ones in my collection that are missing manuals /or have scratched disks

they also had a copy of office 2007 and picked up a new in the box slim portable dvd drive

got it all for less than 20$

then at another stop i got a sweet Sony component stero setup to replace my wife's record player that my 3yr old destroyed last week

just pulled the batteries out of it and they were the original Sony branded aa's that came with it new

no battery leakage tho just rusty as hell lol paid 25 $ for it

(5 disc cd changer in pic i already had going out today to find a matching grey cd player for it )

post-63035-0-19318000-1520787685_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-04408400-1520789779_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72
  • Like 2

lol well guess the xbox gods are with me

went out today junk hunting again (kids are on spring break)

and almost passed this up

saw the bag marked at $9.99 and was like not a bad price for an empty xbox bag but I don't really need it (wife was with me lol)

she ran off to look at clothes so I decided to take a second look and soooo glad I did

10$ for a complete portable xbox setup only missing the remote for the dvd playback kit

had working xbox

2 original duke controllers

dvd playback dongle

av cable

power cable

1 memory card

headset adaptor

even a 10 foot Ethernet cable

took a bit of begging before the wife said ok lol (already have xbox kiosk , halo xbox, and a complete boxed one in my collection )

but I brought it home lol

and it works great

https://youtu.be/gBbkq7f4opk

added some pics of my other xbox stuff as well lol (everything except the halo one came from thrift finds , halo one is my original from when it was new)

post-63035-0-11603600-1520914302_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-96416100-1520914317_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-09766100-1520914329_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-37544900-1520914342_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-41162000-1520914357_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72

lol well guess the xbox gods are with me

went out today junk hunting again (kids are on spring break)

and almost passed this up

saw the bag marked at $9.99 and was like not a bad price for an empty xbox bag but I don't really need it (wife was with me lol)

she ran off to look at clothes so I decided to take a second look and soooo glad I did

10$ for a complete portable xbox setup only missing the remote for the dvd playback kit

had working xbox

2 original duke controllers

dvd playback dongle

av cable

power cable

1 memory card

headset adaptor

even a 10 foot Ethernet cable

took a bit of begging before the wife said ok lol (already have xbox kiosk , halo xbox, and a complete boxed one in my collection )

but I brought it home lol

and it works great

https://youtu.be/gBbkq7f4opk

added some pics of my other xbox stuff as well lol (everything except the halo one came from thrift finds , halo one is my original from when it was new)

Nice collection. I love using those Logitech wireless controllers!

• Like 1

Rare I find a stellar deal for a dollar at the goodwill but it happened. For some reason over on the toy racks I found this Scrabble related device I had never heard of, but I knew the maker of it so I snapped it up.

I paid 99cents, and looking it up on ebay it averages around $70-80 as the selling price (+/- 10 off that.) Franklin's The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (based on the 3rd version of the paper scrabble dictionary) Fascinating device it is, has some really nice uses for making the game easier (maybe too easy) but also 3 really thoughtful and hard (even on level 1 of 3) word games on there. I'm torn between making a fast profit on it and keeping it as i don't really need the dough and the mini games on it are fun.

I know I'm supposed to care about the games I guess, but what is that gull wing door car and the other little cars next to it? It somehow looks familiar to me.

Also today I found a brand new sealed up Sansa Clip 2GB device which surprised me for $6. I had no idea they had any value to them, still kind of curious why they do other than being small and able to expand using a microSD card.

I know I'm supposed to care about the games I guess, but what is that gull wing door car and the other little cars next to it? It somehow looks familiar to me.

Also today I found a brand new sealed up Sansa Clip 2GB device which surprised me for $6. I had no idea they had any value to them, still kind of curious why they do other than being small and able to expand using a microSD card.

the car with gull wing doors is a toy from my child hood (actually have my original one from then but its missing the doors and pretty bashed )

http://www.albertpenello.com/mask/

from a kenner toy line called M.A.S.K

the little cars at just old hot wheels

the really small ones (cars ) in the front ( in a box) are ho scale cars for our ho train layout (also have s and o scale layouts )

post-63035-0-70158900-1521422868_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72
  • Like 2