IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Well I found a similar note and tried that yesterday. It appears the stock 320x200 works and one step up to 640x400 too smooth, but anything else over/under that's not a direct variable of that specific ratio slows down through a slide show chug. Seems it's a problem with dosbox and how it plays not nice with the game or some dumb reason.

Well I found a similar note and tried that yesterday. It appears the stock 320x200 works and one step up to 640x400 too smooth, but anything else over/under that's not a direct variable of that specific ratio slows down through a slide show chug. Seems it's a problem with dosbox and how it plays not nice with the game or some dumb reason.

I have a DosBox guide back on Racketboy with possible solution to your issues. Posted additional info back there.

DOSBox Guide - Run DOS Games in Windows - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1125643#p1125643

I saw that on accident shortly ago. Problem is you had mentioned that stuff already and it was attempted for the most part. Maybe all, have to find time to go back over it yet again and see where the issue is. I don't have an audio issue, just bad frame rate on multiple resolutions other than the variations of 320x200.

Some sweet finds at value village today. I have had an ereader for a while. I never cared you see them all the time but I've never seen the cards. I guess you could say they are complete in box...

post-33349-0-35231500-1523415524_thumb.jpg

And these are a fun little oddity I didn't even know existed.

post-33349-0-24238700-1523415690_thumb.jpg

Look at the first page "2005 AD" and the Swordquest ad on the back.

post-33349-0-48876000-1523415945_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

People can ask whatever they want. I searched completed and seen none that sold. It does appear that is a variant of some kind as it does not have "A and B" written on it. I think the side art may be different too.

Yeah I paid very little for it and will probably just keep it at my workbench to play pac-man since it is so small won't be in the way. It has a crease in the sticker on top as well so it isn't mint anyway. At first when I was searching ebay I didn't see any cheap at all that looked like it but I was typing the wrong thing in as soon as I typed "retro arcade" in along with it I seen several just like mine in the $20 to $40 range. The other thing I noticed as well was all of the ones showing(not particularly selling) around $300 were new in box so maybe that is why they are pricing so high. I didn't notice the absence of the A and B printed on the higher priced ones as well but i didn't pay too close attention when first looking(edit: just noticed I see it now where the A and B is gone, edit 2: well now I just noticed here https://www.walmart.com/ip/Retro-Arcade-Pac-Man-TV-Game/11061008?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=916&adid=22222222227007965287&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=155663088362&wl4=aud-310687322322:pla-98332046963&wl5=9008304&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113134359&wl11=online&wl12=11061008&wl13=&veh=sem the top stock photo there is an absence of A and B printed on it but the pic right below showing it in the box has A and B on it).

Edited by SignGuy81

It's been a long time since I wasted my time at Goodwill. I decided to pop in today. First thing I nabbed was the GBA SP 101 w/charger for $16.99+tax sold "as is". It turned on, good enough for me. I tested already and it does work, just needs charged. 2nd up the wii lot $29.99 +tax, sold "as is" could not test but I got lucky and it all works. I have an extra wii remote and nunchuck kicking around so it works out. 3rd the ps2 $19.99 +tax, again I could not test but I got lucky and it works.

Total w/tax was $72.xx but I rounded up to $73. The best buy by far was the backlit GBA SP. Trying to decide if I want to peel off those stickers or leave them on. I'll have to keep that wii dance game for my kids, but the rest will be bundled. The ps2 has the shortest power cord I have ever seen lol. It is like 18", but it works.

post-25078-0-64995500-1523751910_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had 2 solid hits today. Goodwill happened to turn up an Acer Aspite 1 D250 for $10. https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-one-d250/specs/

I wasn't sure it was ok at first, had the right superficial cap missing outside the hinge gone and it was stuck under some passwords. Using the phone, figured out how to brute force partition/reinstall the entire thing to factory using the hidden acer setup within which took probably 40min or so and in that time looked at other crap on my phone and let it try and charge it too. Once I confirmed it wasn't messed up I snapped it up. NFS -- It's pink and white, going to be my little girls first computer. I just finished cleaning out all the useless Acer tools and other garbage, put on 2 browsers I researched that XP still support along with avast which retained XP support too. I made her her own account and short cut to desktop the calculator, wordpad, and paint so she can get some experience. :D Not bad

Also ordered the 2GB ram chip for the thing new for $10 shipped to arrive during the next week so it won't be so sluggish. My first portable was a pretty similar netbook too so I know it will help. Kind of wish it had Win7 32bit on there, finding that today with a key is a pain. If she ends up not liking it, pink or not, it will run 16bit windows and dos stuff nicely enough so that's a win too.

And then for $20 a like new copy of 3DS Pokemon Ultra Sun. I have been curious about the big changes the latest 3DS release did as it supposedly made it more JRPG than just collectathon-e-mon than in the past.

• Like 1

And the odd luck streak continues in less than likely places. At the half price books south of here I found a CD I had been trying to source offline for 9mo~ and a nintendo players guide for a year locally too. Essential Elvis Presley and the Nintendo guide for Pokemon Crystal Version both in fanastic shape. I hated dropping $30 on the guide, but it sells for $60 insanely on ePay. Also at another ma/la place I found the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red (Demo) NFR game with the property of Nintendo sticker on the back intact which I'm so keeping too for $10. That one seems like it could be a cute and fun little mystery dungeon title to try out having done the 10min demo of it. Also there found for $5 Tetris DX too to share with my kid.

Also did find some PS2 goodies and a blu ray for $3/ea -- Watchmen Directors Cut movie, games were Silent Hill 4, Siren, and The Suffering all in pretty great shape complete.

• Like 1

Not a "thrift find", but more of a "work find".

I'm an IT guy, and I was going through some equipment in our office to get it ready for phasing out/donation and found a relic.

SR97c73l.jpg

mD6T8Wul.jpg

OQtewXHl.jpg

It's a late 1990's Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop. Retailed for something like $4000-5000 back then! This one is running Windows 2000. It has a CD-ROM drive, a 3.5 floppy drive, and something like 8-10GB of hard drive space. It's a Pentium II processor, but I'm not sure of the exact specs. The crazy part is that it fires right up and works! Since it's worthless in the eyes of the donation place, I brought it home. I'm hoping to clean it up and use it as a retro PC game machine. Compared to modern laptops, the thing is HUGE. It weighs about 10 lbs! It's been a long time since I messed with a machine of this vintage, so it should be a lot of fun.

• Like 2

Not a "thrift find", but more of a "work find".

I'm an IT guy, and I was going through some equipment in our office to get it ready for phasing out/donation and found a relic.

It's a late 1990's Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop. Retailed for something like $4000-5000 back then! This one is running Windows 2000. It has a CD-ROM drive, a 3.5 floppy drive, and something like 8-10GB of hard drive space. It's a Pentium II processor, but I'm not sure of the exact specs. The crazy part is that it fires right up and works! Since it's worthless in the eyes of the donation place, I brought it home. I'm hoping to clean it up and use it as a retro PC game machine. Compared to modern laptops, the thing is HUGE. It weighs about 10 lbs! It's been a long time since I messed with a machine of this vintage, so it should be a lot of fun.

Found this: https://www.cnet.com/news/specs-for-dell-inspiron-7000/

Pentium II processor (300 up to 466mhz)

32MB or 64MB of memory, up to 192MB

Liquid crystal display, 13.3", 14.1", or 15"

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drives

ATI Rage LT Pro graphics chipset

integrated 56k modem

lithium ion battery

8.2 to 8.9 lbs.

4BG hard drive, expandable to 8GB

$2,799 to $2,999

Very very nice find, excellent for Win98 and DOS gems without any bs. Anything dies I found that data using this parts site for that system: https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=141&subid=66 Also if you use the DELL site you can use that service number on the bottom of the sticker and get their last released drivers if they still host them.

My thought were similar to yours with that netbook for my kid as it's weak. I know it could do some wicked DOS and Windows 16/32bit play stuff that my modern computer laughs at and blocks out, so if she ever loses interest and I have something I want to waste time on I can shove it on there under my admin account. I did stuff Sim Tower on there which won't work in 64bit windows. :)

Good info guys! I'm not sure what it has for a sound card yet, but I'm itching to play some 90's PC games on this thing as soon as I can. I went digging at my parents' house over the weekend and turned up a bunch of CD-ROM games, including Starcraft, Star Wars: Dark Forces, a shareware version of Blood (loved that game!), a shareware version of Quake, and Tempest 2000!

the car with gull wing doors is a toy from my child hood (actually have my original one from then but its missing the doors and pretty bashed )

http://www.albertpenello.com/mask/

from a kenner toy line called M.A.S.K

the little cars at just old hot wheels

the really small ones (cars ) in the front ( in a box) are ho scale cars for our ho train layout (also have s and o scale layouts )

I remember that car too.... OMG, hadn't thought of that in years!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah I paid very little for it and will probably just keep it at my workbench to play pac-man since it is so small won't be in the way. It has a crease in the sticker on top as well so it isn't mint anyway. At first when I was searching ebay I didn't see any cheap at all that looked like it but I was typing the wrong thing in as soon as I typed "retro arcade" in along with it I seen several just like mine in the $20 to $40 range. The other thing I noticed as well was all of the ones showing(not particularly selling) around $300 were new in box so maybe that is why they are pricing so high. I didn't notice the absence of the A and B printed on the higher priced ones as well but i didn't pay too close attention when first looking(edit: just noticed I see it now where the A and B is gone, edit 2: well now I just noticed here https://www.walmart.com/ip/Retro-Arcade-Pac-Man-TV-Game/11061008?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=916&adid=22222222227007965287&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=155663088362&wl4=aud-310687322322:pla-98332046963&wl5=9008304&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113134359&wl11=online&wl12=11061008&wl13=&veh=sem the top stock photo there is an absence of A and B printed on it but the pic right below showing it in the box has A and B on it).

Whatever it goes for, I have one and personally think it's a great little unit for what it is. 'coin slot' lights up and everything!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Found all these goodies today, burned a good bit of my money I saved from my birthday and before but it was worth it. Was surprised at first to find that Japanese Ouchi no Deka Tamagotchi around these parts, and that 101 version of the Wii with all the stuff was in amazing shape too. The old game was all clean and complete, and the little modern G1 mini's were cheap/complete. I got a tip about the local store I haven't hit ($) in awhile that they got my last dream transformer that as been eating at me for over a year and some while now. I went over and snapped that up for $60. It's entirely complete, entirely more or less untouched. Not a fleck of paint, no stains or wear, just age curl on the hood sticker the factory applied, and all 'chrome' paint shiny and perfect. If you can see it, full 100% unused sticker sheet there too, one missile popped off the tree but there, and the plastic molding/blister is in the box too. Awhile back I tried to get one, cost me about that much (and value been flat since) just for a complete loose one that ended up being broken when it arrived. Very pleased on that win. :D MIrage, Jazz, and Optimus I had as a kid, now I have all three. If I sold all my G1s off tomorrow, those 3 I'd keep.

• Like 1

IMG 0001

Just a mini pickup here- the NES stick is a 'beeshu zinger' according to the internet. Never heard of it, but I wasn't super into gaming until we had the Genesis anyway. It works fine, but I may end up selling it. We'll see. I haven't tested the 360 camera yet, I got mostly for the novelty factor. It was $5.

Not pictured: $1.50 for an OEM PS2 controller I gave to my brother-in-law. His main controller broke last year, I gave him one from my stash, which I replaced a week later with another thrift store find. Now he has a backup!

• Like 1