IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Mm, can definitely relate. I picked up a copy of Tom and Jerry's Greatest Chases. When I finally got around to watching it, I found burned copies of Meet the Robinsons and some other crap inside. Lovely. I had to re-purchase it from Amazon, and it was a lot more expensive there than it was at the pawn shop.

I've also had incidents where there was no DVD in the case (or no UMD, in the case of that St. VdP visit from two weeks ago), and still others where the disc is so badly damaged it may as well have been missing. If it's that scratched up, don't resell it! Geez! It's just common sense.

• Like 1

Got another couple games at the thrift store. These were stuck in with the DVDs. Five dollars for both. Never heard of the Mace Griffin game, but apparently the main character is voiced by Henry Rollins, so that's cool. As far as the Namco game goes, I think I already have most of these on other collections, but don't think I have Rolling Thunder, Dragon Spirity, or Sky Kid on anything else. Anyway, both actually have the games they are supposed to have and both have the manuals.

post-21069-0-89469600-1535491087_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I found this strange PC bundle today from the very early 2000s from 3DO the Army Men Value Pack in a big box that had the first 4 games in the series each on their own game disc in this velcro sealed folder case. Also found this 2001 new GungHo/Leatherneck 80s GI Joe re-release 2 pack too.

Got another couple games at the thrift store. These were stuck in with the DVDs. Five dollars for both. Never heard of the Mace Griffin game, but apparently the main character is voiced by Henry Rollins, so that's cool. As far as the Namco game goes, I think I already have most of these on other collections, but don't think I have Rolling Thunder, Dragon Spirity, or Sky Kid on anything else. Anyway, both actually have the games they are supposed to have and both have the manuals.

Nice finds. I really enjoyed the Mace Griffin game. You could enter a ship in First Person then launch and fly it, quite seamlessly.

ElTigro: That version of Namco Museum is a keeper. I liked it much better than the previous one developed by Mass Media. Instead of the crappy port of Pac-Man dating back to the original Playstation, you get the real thing, with accurate graphics! You miss out on the arrangement games, but there are other titles to make up for it, like Rolling Thunder. And oh yeah, there's cheesy 80s music and arcade cabinets on a rotating display! Neat!

• Like 3

I for one can't wait for that 10" Namco Arcade box from the MyArcade people as RT will be the arcade release, most games are on there of the 20, but a few which only were console based (like RT and Splatterhouse sequels) will be that. Best of the mini-cades by far using real arcade emulation.

Went around town for the first time in a while and found lil lcd game, gba ( although I forgot to check for a battery cover) , a boxed pico game off all things.

The magazines are early 90's PC catalogs.

Sweet stuff, you don't happen to collect those LCD games do you? If not maybe I could be interested? :) Some of those old radio shack games are so dumb they're amazing fun.

Sweet stuff, you don't happen to collect those LCD games do you? If not maybe I could be interested? :) Some of those old radio shack games are so dumb they're amazing fun.

If you had asked me just a few months ago I would have said no but after running into a few of these recently I am actually quite liking them, thees a bit of charm to them that late 90's/early 00's lcd games I'm used to seeing don't have.

ElTigro: That version of Namco Museum is a keeper. I liked it much better than the previous one developed by Mass Media. Instead of the crappy port of Pac-Man dating back to the original Playstation, you get the real thing, with accurate graphics! You miss out on the arrangement games, but there are other titles to make up for it, like Rolling Thunder. And oh yeah, there's cheesy 80s music and arcade cabinets on a rotating display! Neat!

i had this in the PS2 flavor. The 80s music drove my wife NUTS, hehehehehe

• Like 1

Not sure if it was amazing but I was happy, $4 Black GBA with Sims Bustin Loose in it, game works, system does but well worn and oddly it's from Germany an EUR model, and then another $2 got a boxed copy of EA CD Classics - PGA Tour from 97. I'm going to throw DOS Box at it and see what happens.

• Like 1

Actually it worked quite well, and I guess I did a full install because it doesn't even what the CD. It's surprisingly pretty good given the age of it. $2 well spent.

Today I found one of those Triforce battery/plug powered plastic lights at a goodwill for $2 a little while ago and it's pretty nice. Also found a couple new items, kid stuff I can save for birthday and christmas (DIY anywhere tabletop air hockey with a fan powered puck) and a mini american girl doll/book for the very one my daughter has the full size of. Also found one of those How to Play Nintendo Games books #3 and also a strange one for $3 a 10 year old radica large backlit Soltaire LCD game new in the box and I tried to figure out more and ebay hits came up for some dumb reason it's worth like $125...WHY?!

I have PGA Tour '97 for the Sega Saturn... wonder how close they are...

I wish I knew, but a fast peek at Wikipedia shows my PGA96 seems to have the golfer, play choices, and 2 courses as 97 on the consoles, but the interface on console is a bit different in style and coloring. I'm thinking since it looks like it didn't hit PC that year they carried the assets over from the last for a lazy typical EA release to save some effort. I imagine outside of long Saturn load times they probably handle the same.

You all get to know the other regulars over time? We have a weekly flea market here and I frequently find vendors looking for new items to sell at local thrift stores. Ebay doesn't come up much. They are just looking for things for their stand. The regular vendors take it a step further and anytime a new table arrives I can observe the regulars swarming the booth for thing to resale at their own booth.

How this usually works out is you have 10 stand regulars and maybe 2 people who just came to sell junk. The long timers are pretty aggressive and will stock up on things they know are worth money and just resell at their booth.

I just find it fascinating. My biggest competitors are the other stand owners. They are hungry for cheap goods to resell. Sometimes you'll see a particularly valuable item switch booths several times. I was saw a vita mix blender move 4 timed in a month. First at $10,then around $45, then around $80.now it sits at $120 asking price. I imagine next week it will belong to another seller and is now $175.

Bought a Wii for £1.50 from a junk shop. No leads, power cable, controls etc just the base unit.

Figured if mine died it would be a cheap replacement if it booted, or spare parts if not.

It was clogged with dust so opened it up to do some cleaning, damn this thing has a lot of screws.

Anyway it booted up fine! Had some fun snooping around, although they'd never opened the eshop so no free VC downloads boo hoo.

Seems like it was owned by a young kid, a lot of Disney type shovelware save files.

Maybe in 20 years he'll get nostalgic for SpongeBob: Atlantis Squarepantis and buy an overpriced mint copy on eBay

Edited by zappi
  • Like 2