IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I've noticed a lot of empty game cases at Goodwill. The games are always more than the dvds. I think people take the game out and put it in a movie case to get it cheaper.

I'm betting it's more of people just taking the disc outright, or people donating an empty game case & no one ever bothering to check.

My newest acquisition is Madagascar for the GBA! … ok, let me explain... my mom just bought a 2014 jeep (to replace her 1994 jeep), and was digging around under the seats for something my niece dropped, & found this random game. Haven't tried it yet (obviously not in a rush for this title), but it was free- and it's clearly been down there awhile becuase it has a $10 price tag on it. Either that or games are really expensive in Alaska (the car's history says it started out in Alaska.)

Do used car dealerships count as thrift stores?

• Like 1

$15 today at the goodwill, total surprise I almost missed as the stuff is never in the under register case, but I spotted Mario Picross, Links Awakening, and SMB3(GBA) and snapped them up. There was also the original model GBP, a GBC color option, and the silver GBA SP wth no charger all $25 each, they stayed behind.

No they're not for me, nor are they being sold. Christmas gifts for my daughter. They went into a bag with Spirit GBA and DS Scribblenauts and DS Hello KItty Party (looks sorta animal crossing like.) She'll be happy with it I know it as I did a similar bag for her birthday too.

• Like 1

I can't remember a time I ever bought a bootleg DVD before, but goodwill let one slip onto the shelf today and it's a DVD copy of Disney's Song of the South. It's pretty ghetto looking with cheap print out cover art and one of those matte printed on stickers popped on top of the disc. I have yet to try it out, but my curiosity compelled me as I've never seen it and they'll never legitimately sell that one anytime soon.

• Like 1

I can't remember a time I ever bought a bootleg DVD before, but goodwill let one slip onto the shelf today and it's a DVD copy of Disney's Song of the South. It's pretty ghetto looking with cheap print out cover art and one of those matte printed on stickers popped on top of the disc. I have yet to try it out, but my curiosity compelled me as I've never seen it and they'll never legitimately sell that one anytime soon.

If you're lucky, it's made from the European laserdisc- the best quality release of the movie before it got vaulted permanently. We've got one of those- it's got an easter egg of the Hatfield & McCoy's cartoon with Japanese subtitles on it.

• Like 1

If you're lucky, it's made from the European laserdisc- the best quality release of the movie before it got vaulted permanently. We've got one of those- it's got an easter egg of the Hatfield & McCoy's cartoon with Japanese subtitles on it.

I found a VHS copy of the laserdisc in a lot I purchased last year, complete with the Japanese subtitles. Yeah, it won't be out on DVD anytime soon, probably never.

I just found an ASUS Z170 Deluxe socket 1151/DDR4 motherboard in the bins at a Goodwill. I was a bit confused that the actual motherboard was in the box, and not a previous board from an upgrade. So I get home, freak out at the prices that thing lists for new (I don't know if it's because it's awesome or because it's a couple of generations back), then realize that the socket has quite a few bent pins.

In other words, some caveman was trying to build his own PC and screwed up. I'm going to try to see if I can find a good magnifier light and un-bend the pins, then find a cheap 6th-gen Celeron or something to make sure that it works. Of course any given pin could be something like a PCI lane for an expansion card, so there could always be lurking problems. But since I basically got it for 2 bucks, I'm not complaining. In the meantime I've snapped the socket protector back on.

It's not. It had some generic blue menu like someone does with a DIY transfer to DVD from a VHS or otherwise recording. It's clean enough, nicer than VHS, but it has some kind of artifacting to it. Here's two random shots of the movie both live and animated, you'll see what I mean.

I'd like to get a copy of the euro one if it's notably nicer than that, just not sure how to find one that would be region free. I get why people whine about this taking it out of context, but it really is pretty bad a decent movie like this got thrown under the bus. At least the Black Cauldron got a VHS and DVD release (grr on no blu ray) and I've had that for some years finding that too. I know it's due to the PG rating, which is a damned joke because after it came out the standards were changed and it would be G rated now. It should just get re-rated and re-released right.

post-48371-0-03970000-1544205495.jpg

post-48371-0-33823200-1544205500.jpg

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

I'd like to get a copy of the euro one if it's notably nicer than that, just not sure how to find one that would be region free.

https://songofthesouth.org/index.html

I think this is where we bought our DVD from, but they've updated their version to a 'remastered' one without extras (make of that what you will.) They've got some video clips up from their version, so you can compare- but really, yours looks pretty darn clean- you've got a good find there!

• Like 2

https://songofthesouth.org/index.html

I think this is where we bought our DVD from, but they've updated their version to a 'remastered' one without extras (make of that what you will.) They've got some video clips up from their version, so you can compare- but really, yours looks pretty darn clean- you've got a good find there!

Thanks for the link, I just purchased a set - they have a 2 DVD set with So Dear To My Heart as well. The quality looks fantastic, much better than my Laserdisc/VHS/DVD copy.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, I just purchased a set - they have a 2 DVD set with So Dear To My Heart as well. The quality looks fantastic, much better than my Laserdisc/VHS/DVD copy.

Please let us know how it is. If it’s as good or better than the laserdisc version I will certainly buy one.

• Like 1

Please let us know how it is. If it’s as good or better than the laserdisc version I will certainly buy one.

I will report back. They offer free shipping and have already marked my order as shipped! It was $16.99 for both movies.

I've been looking for a 486 to play some of my DOS games on and this IBM Eduquest 35 popped up on the local facebook buy/sell group. Got it for $60 and it works great.

Very nice. I wish I had the space for a nice 486 setup, there are some excellent DOS games to be played.

Agree with Grig on space issues. With the Atari stuff, consoles and modern pc hardware around the room here, I'm outta space too.

Your Eduquest looks perfect for a crowded room. Just noticed the monitor is built-in. :)

I've been looking for a 486 to play some of my DOS games on and this IBM Eduquest 35 popped up on the local facebook buy/sell group. Got it for $60 and it works great.

post-29698-0-19084900-1544302829_thumb.j

Not a 486 machine, but I originally paid $20 for this PC last year (not including the sound card, 1.2MB floppy drive and a joystick card I had from my Gateway 2000 P590 that took a dump on me).

There might be issues with some really old games running too fast (it uses a 200MHZ AMD K6), but it handles most 90s games without any trouble with some exceptions where bad programmers were still tying program run speed to the CPU.

I went with a Socket 7 board because they use CR2032 for the CMOS and not RTCs or those horrible ni-cad batteries (or whatever they were).

Edited by TravisHuckins
  • Like 1

I have an IBM Aptiva with a 266 Pentium II CPU which I use for beefier 95/98 games. I got this one mostly for some of my early 90's DOS based games. I just gotta find drivers for the onboard video and sound and figure out how to get them from a modern pc to a floppy disk

Have you tried using burnt CDs? If the drive doesn't work with burnt CDs you could always swap in a CD-RW drive, but it if your 486 uses SCSI it might be hard finding a CD-RW drive.

Seems to work with CD-R but CD-RW not so much. Another round about way is put the drivers on a usb stick then from there to an old windows xp system I have with a floppy drive and copy them to a floppy that way.

Make sure to zip any games (or other programs) that are loose files. When burnt to a CD all files will be marked read-only and some programs won't work right. Use pkunzip to open them after copying.

• Like 1