IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I have an IBM Aptiva with a 266 Pentium II CPU which I use for beefier 95/98 games. I got this one mostly for some of my early 90's DOS based games. I just gotta find drivers for the onboard video and sound and figure out how to get them from a modern pc to a floppy disk

You might try putting a ISA network card in it if it doesn't have one already and running Windows 95. File sharing is possible and you get DOS 95 for games.

Setup (drivers) could be a headache, one thing I don't miss about that generation of pc.

• Like 1

Friday and Saturday worked out excellent for me. Friday $4 got me the original Sony sold 30 game / 12 memory card holder. It was pretty funky but I got it clean.

Spent a bit more than I'd like the next day, $9 at goodwill and $50 at the HPB for the books. The books, both Metroid are upgrades to what I had, so I'll get much of it back thankfully. That wonky console was $5 an $4 for the new mouse. I finally found a price point the firecore Sega isn't unpalatable to buy. :D

post-48371-0-33307000-1544387135_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-07123300-1544387141_thumb.jpg

https://songofthesouth.org/index.html

I think this is where we bought our DVD from, but they've updated their version to a 'remastered' one without extras (make of that what you will.) They've got some video clips up from their version, so you can compare- but really, yours looks pretty darn clean- you've got a good find there!

Ooooh that looks promising and very very fairly low priced too. I'll have to see what Grig thinks. I wouldn't mind tossing the $2 bootleg for that if it's as clean as say my Black Cauldron DVD those Disney chickens at least bothered to put out once. I really wish that one would come back on blu-ray and re-submitted to the ratings board as it clearly is G worthy by todays standards (or even a couple years after it came out when they redid it all and added PG13.)

There might be issues with some really old games running too fast (it uses a 200MHZ AMD K6)...

If you're lucky, you can hit CTRL + ALT + NUMPLUS (or minus) to enable/disable turbo.

I think CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + NUMPLUS (or minus) enables/disables some of the cache memory.

It might help a bit, depending on the game.

I just gotta find drivers for the onboard video and sound and figure out how to get them from a modern pc to a floppy disk

Aside from taking the hard drive out and hooking it up to another computer, the easiest way I've found is to get a cheap IDE-to-Compact-Flash adapter, then your computer will read CF cards just like a hard drive. You can even boot from them.

• Like 1

Are we talking really old DOS environment games failing to play nice as they're not speed throttled?

Back in the day one game above all others that really ate at me that didn't do this was Wing Commander. I found on an old BBS a program called MOSLO.EXE, it basically would limit the cycles allowed and it would force the system to run games at a speed you tuned it too. Most the time it worked good to excellent. WC1 fell in the middle as gameplay and music were fine, but usually the talking heads sections the mouths were go all fast visually but the sequence wouldn't be sped up so it was like some horrible japanese dub situation going on.

I know it's like 30 years old, but maybe someone archived it online.

If you're lucky, you can hit CTRL + ALT + NUMPLUS (or minus) to enable/disable turbo.

I think CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + NUMPLUS (or minus) enables/disables some of the cache memory.

It might help a bit, depending on the game.

Aside from taking the hard drive out and hooking it up to another computer, the easiest way I've found is to get a cheap IDE-to-Compact-Flash adapter, then your computer will read CF cards just like a hard drive. You can even boot from them.

The game I have the worst problems with is the Apogee game Stargunner. The original system requirements said it needed at least a Pentium 90 but even on my Gateway 2000 P590 which used that exact CPU (it doesn't work anymore) ran the game way too fast. Maybe too much RAM or cache? lol

The game I have the worst problems with is the Apogee game Stargunner. The original system requirements said it needed at least a Pentium 90 but even on my Gateway 2000 P590 which used that exact CPU (it doesn't work anymore) ran the game way too fast. Maybe too much RAM or cache? lol

Stunt Driver by Spectrum Holobyte seems like it's really picky about CPU speed too. I've tried Moslo in the past and it doesn't seem to matter how it's set, it runs too fast. It needs a 386/486 to run properly. I even set Moslo to run like basically an AT/XT machine which is way too slow for this game and it ran like it was in fast forward. I'm sure there are other factors but I never got into them enough to figure out what it might be.

Edited by AtariLeaf

I hit up the local Savers last night looking for a replacement stereo receiver for my parents' 80's Fisher component system. That system is 30 years old this year. Last year for Christmas, I replaced the CD changer that died, and now the receiver is dead, so I'll be replacing that so they can use it again. They mainly use it for playing records these days. Anyway, I walked out with this:

265JDmbl.jpg

d4012Zkl.jpg

It's a 90's Technics home theater receiver, which may be a bit overkill for their needs. It outputs 100w/channel, which is not too shabby for back then. It also might be too large for their stereo cabinet, so I may have to keep it and relinquish my recently purchased 90's Kenwood receiver which I love. Here's a pic of that beast.

e6ixjNDl.jpg

BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!!!

v3UhMaJl.jpg

rqMXCb1l.jpg

As I was walking out the door, I checked the glass case for games, which usually leads to disappointment. Not this time! In there were two boxed and complete Genesis games! Nothing crazy, but for $5 each, I had to snag them. Triple Score still had the sweet poster inside too!

HmgkpBRl.jpg

LggW6vrl.jpg

• Like 4

Yesterday I found a Dell 2407-WFPb monitor... 1200x1920 (16:10 hell yeah!) with composite/s-video/component/VGA/DVI inputs, and an Atari Flashback 5 in its original box, which I'm about to open up to see what it's made of and what can be done to it. Also, a 10th Anniversary edition of Myst... from 15 years ago.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be really into Halo until Halo 4 ruined everything. Pretty much why I haven't bought an Xbox One yet.

I was anxiously anticipating Halo since before Microsoft acquired Bungie. When I worked in a QA lab at compaq we used to use the Halo trailer as one of our test videos. We were also big Quake and Unreal Tournament players and that trailer was so awesome we were dying for its release! I played the heck out of the original on Xbox any time I could get a group together to play. I never got much into playing solo and never played any of the sequels.

• Like 1

I was anxiously anticipating Halo since before Microsoft acquired Bungie. When I worked in a QA lab at compaq we used to use the Halo trailer as one of our test videos. We were also big Quake and Unreal Tournament players and that trailer was so awesome we were dying for its release! I played the heck out of the original on Xbox any time I could get a group together to play. I never got much into playing solo and never played any of the sequels.

For me it was all about Halo 2... 4 player splitscreen with friends and family and later on Xbox Live, sadly I did not get Live until a few years before they shut the Halo 2 servers down. Also played the crap out of Halo 3. Reach as well, but I had mixed feelings about that game but it still felt like Halo unlike Halo 4. I still play Quake and Unreal all the time (and Doom). Sad that Epic canceled the new Unreal Tournament because of how well Fortnite (I hate that game) has been doing.

What, you don't like having only one weapon at a time, and "scavaging for ammo on the battlefield" because you keep running out? Heh.

I'm told Halo 5 does the same thing, which is why I wasn't terribly interested in playing it. I mean, it’s a first person shooter. You shoot things. Why limit the number of weapons you can use to shoot things? That wasn't a problem with TimeSplitters or Borderlands, was it?

For me it was all about Halo 2... 4 player splitscreen with friends and family and later on Xbox Live, sadly I did not get Live until a few years before they shut the Halo 2 servers down. Also played the crap out of Halo 3. Reach as well, but I had mixed feelings about that game but it still felt like Halo unlike Halo 4. I still play Quake and Unreal all the time (and Doom). Sad that Epic canceled the new Unreal Tournament because of how well Fortnite (I hate that game) has been doing.

The original Halo for Xbox did four player split screen didn’t it? That’s how I remember playing it.

I've never loved Halo though I found the single player game pretty fun on the original on the PC. They bored any level of fun out of the game at me being complete nerds about it linking up systems and controllers and all that at Midway when it came out. I detest online multiplayer, in particular FPS stuff as it makes people into the truest form of a-hole possible more often than not. That was a very nice find at $2/ea, even I would have found that hard to leave.

I found a brand new Golden Tee Golf 2011 tv game version for $6 the other day and that way it's worth like 10x that price which surprised me.

This falls under the "when I think I'm out they pull me back in" category. I picked up an old 2 gig ide hard drive and other pc parts for a 486 build from a local ad and he had this coco2 and only wanted $10 including the pc parts I grabbed so I said sure. Not sure I'll keep it. I really don't want to get back into the coco again. It would have gone to the recyclers if I didn't and I didn't want that to happen. Seems to work well. Decent picture and all the keys work.

PRINT MEM returned 8480 so I'm assuming a 16k model.

post-2493-0-05130000-1546136270_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Got myself a 27" Sony CRT and an NES with two controllers, a gray Zapper, and Mario 1/Duck Hunt, Mario 2, and Mario 3 for a total of $75 yesterday. Retro shops, online shops, and eBay sellers would want more than that for just the NES and games.

I was only looking for the CRT, but the guy heard I was looking to hook up some old games and offered to sell me the NES for super cheap. He thought there might be something wrong with it, because Mario 2 booted up with corrupt graphics. Some isopropyl alcohol on the carts and a quick disassembly/clean of the NES and I had it totally working within 10 minutes of getting it home.

post-61495-0-24455800-1546393795_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Saw an ad in the facebook marketplace for some computer parts for 10 bucks for everything so I grabbed it. Even if a fraction of it works it's a good deal. I'm most hopeful for the 486 and motherboard. There's some decent video cards in here. A whole tray of floppies including 2 unopened packs. Some cool old software and hand scanners. Big boxes of video and sound cards of various types cdrom and dvd roms floppy dives hard drives. I've ordered an ide to sd card adapter so I probably won't even use those. Some interesting pieces in here that I couldn't pass up for ten bucks.

post-2493-0-60419400-1546478667_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-30434500-1546478709_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-11308800-1546478744_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-19957900-1546478778_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-04855000-1546478813_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-06853600-1546478829_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Nice score. I would have grabbed that for $10 too. I like that one has 'Noisy' written on it.

Yea I noticed that too. the lightscribe has five X's on the top so I'm sure a lot of this will end up recycled. It was worth it for the CIB OS/2 and the floppies which I can always use. I'm really hoping the 486 works which was what caught my eye in the first place.

Saw an ad in the facebook marketplace for some computer parts for 10 bucks for everything so I grabbed it. Even if a fraction of it works it's a good deal. I'm most hopeful for the 486 and motherboard. There's some decent video cards in here. A whole tray of floppies including 2 unopened packs. Some cool old software and hand scanners. Big boxes of video and sound cards of various types cdrom and dvd roms floppy dives hard drives. I've ordered an ide to sd card adapter so I probably won't even use those. Some interesting pieces in here that I couldn't pass up for ten bucks.

Oh wow 800mhz 2gb ram... lol

I wonder what ISA soundcard that is. Looks to be a SB-16/Pro clone by the looks of it.