IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Check out these beauties...

post-6115-0-99042700-1546669063_thumb.jpg

post-6115-0-09917200-1546669083_thumb.jpg

post-6115-0-97750800-1546669091_thumb.jpg

Somebody donated six big boxes of reels, and a player. This was the cream of the crop; the rest were mostly home-made tapes and classical releases. It's going to be a chore getting the rest of the tapes sold, but now I have a few more for my collection too! As if I needed to pad yet another collection...

This one wasn't a thrift store find, but an airport abandonment...

post-6115-0-95669000-1546669396.jpg

I guess it wasn't everything they thought it would be.

• Like 3

The reel to reels are great. My dad has an Akai stereo system he purchased in the 60s - a complete system with reel to reel. I think reels and 8 tracks top my list of finds with more home made compilations and LP transfers than my cassette finds.

I figured this would amuse someone, take a good look at that receipt too. Feb 2 1994. It has been in that box all this time and the game never left the state, just rolled down the road about an hour. On and those CCR records are quite clean, not a bunch of pop and hiss on that vinyl. Not sure what happened to the scan on the angle of the receipt, it's there. 069 Florence Mall, Lower level 1120 FLorence Mall, Florence KY 41042 606-283-5522. I wonder if that would ring a lamestop now.

post-48371-0-13749000-1547185000_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

Hey boxpressed,

Since you bought this game, you probably already know about this. But, just in case...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24057914/ncaa-football-ea-sports-lives-five-years-demise

I've helped my son update his rosters on his PS3. Easy as pie, and amazingly detailed and complete rosters. Breathes completely new life into the game.

Have fun!

- Blaine

• Like 1

Hey boxpressed,

Since you bought this game, you probably already know about this. But, just in case...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24057914/ncaa-football-ea-sports-lives-five-years-demise

I've helped my son update his rosters on his PS3. Easy as pie, and amazingly detailed and complete rosters. Breathes completely new life into the game.

Have fun!

- Blaine

That's really cool. Thanks!

I figured this would amuse someone, take a good look at that receipt too. Feb 2 1994.

That Babbage's receipt brings back lots of memories. They were still carrying C-64 stuff when I finally got my own Commie in 1991 or so. I bought tons of games there... and returned tons too thanks to my only disk drive being out of alignment and not liking a lot of the newer copy-protection schemes. Return policies were a lot more generous back then! I still have a lot of receipts that look like that, too, because I was meticulous about keeping everything related to my Commie purchases. I miss those old stores. Electronics Boutique got a lot of my business too when they were still a thing (and I don't mean EB Games).

• Like 1

Nice. I used to keep every game receipt I ever got from the GB/NES/SNES era forward into the 00s, but when my collection went mostly to the wolves I didn't see the point anymore. I stuffed that Babbage's receipt back in the GB box. I was originally thinking I'd sell it, but the price was down at a loose game in pick up value so I'm just thinking I'll keep it as I like that kind of stuff.

Today I found Little Nemo NES+sleeve for $6 which surprised me.

My Goodwill basically never has any gaming stuff. Nothing modern, nothing older, nothing vintage. But today it had two Genesis systems complete with controller and hookups. One was a VA6 model 1 (has an EXT port and the HD Graphics label, but the short FCC ID, so I was pretty sure of that when I got it), the other was a VA3 model 2 (which has the 3/4 mobo but no cutouts in the bottom plate, so I knew it for sure). Got the pair for $20. Both work perfectly with my carts.

Gonna stick my VA2 model 1 and VA2.3 model 2 in boxes once I figure out which enclosures look the nicest and swap them around. I definitely want the VA6 and VA3 out for play since they sound the best for their respective form factors.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 2

I found this for $5 today.

https://www.amazon.com/COMPUTEs-Guide-Nintendo-Steven-Schwartz/dp/0874552214

I knew only that they did such things because a year ago I spent a buck on a compute guide to review SNES games from the 1991 early 92 period, and it was in color, thin more like a comic book in depth and overall size too. I was surprised to see this today, it's big at over 200 pages but no color other than the cover. It's in really nice shape too maybe 8/10 quality at best. I like how it works as most the book (45 games) are fully reviewed and with various other tips and other interesting info, then +5 in a separate area where they didn't have time to do the full run up. After that a piece I really like as I've not seen it done before are in depth gamepad/joystick reviews on all sorts of them from 6 makers. From there it gets into the screwy u-force and 3 others and into the unexpected with the mario trophies and reviewing the Nintendo cereal system of all things. The last part is serious but comes off funny as it's a parents guide to Nintendo and it has stuff like playing on a budget, self-help psychology how to manage play and life, lessons in having a life and gaming, and even some pre- pre- ESRB like ratings on the games n the book. If you ever come across it check it out, easy to pick up and enjoy for a few minutes or more considering how many games are done over a few pages a piece.

$18 on the guides, wanted that Castlevania one for a long while now ($40-50+ guide I wouldn't pay for on ebay) and then the 3DS games were strangely $2/ea.

Super Metroid cover is in fairly not great shape, was taped at one point, then re-bound/attached with glue on the bottom 1/3 of that of it and the inside glue job attached to the first page a bit damaging it, otherwise it's intact and very nice.

Also in town we have like one good asian food market that thankfully is minutes away. I've wanted to try these for years, and they're awesome - green tea kitkat imported from Japan, also they seem to now carry my favorite cappuccino sucker candies called Kopiko too not pictured (this was yesterday.)

post-48371-0-86040500-1547941827_thumb.jpg

I did another trade with a local guy. I had a video card he was after which I didn't need and some other odds and ends. In return I got a workstation PC with a Xeon processor, a big box of Apple IIGS floppies some of which are factory disks and 95% copies as well as a couple Wii's. The one pictured has a mod. Can anyone identify it and what it does?

post-2493-0-62023000-1548418306_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-07732400-1548418324_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-38939900-1548418337_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-80725800-1548418349_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

Not exactly a "thrift find", but a guy I work with brought me this truck. It's a Buddy L Playstation truck. A little research says it's from '96. It has a battery compartment underneath, and I was a little scared to open it. But there were no batteries inside... and what's strange is... there were no contacts either. Looking around online, I found someone else saying their truck was like this, so I'm assuming that's how they were made. Probably just used the same molds for several different trucks, just putting different stickers on the side. And this one just didn't have anything that made noise or lit up or whatever. It's a little dinged up because the guy who gave it to me had let his kids play with it and such, but it's not too bad. A little cleaning will help most of it. There's some worn parts on the stickers that are showing white... might take a marker or something? What do you guys think. There's also a place on the hood by the windshield which may be some rust, but I just got it home today after work and haven't had a lot of time to check it over. For now, it's doing fine just sitting on the CRT.

post-21069-0-17291200-1548464079_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A little cleaning will help most of it. There's some worn parts on the stickers that are showing white... might take a marker or something? What do you guys think. There's also a place on the hood by the windshield which may be some rust, but I just got it home today after work and haven't had a lot of time to check it over. For now, it's doing fine just sitting on the CRT.

If that is in fact rust, a tiny bit of coca cola and a strip of tin foil you can buff it right off without a problem. And yes a marker would work, using a black sharpie would be best and as soon as you ink those spots, you'll discolor yourself but blend it with a thumb so you can get the black into it and the shimmering of the sharpie off of it so it doesn't stand out.

• Like 1

There's some worn parts on the stickers that are showing white... might take a marker or something? What do you guys think.

If the un-worn sticker is glossy, go over the white bits with a sharpie (just dot, you don't want to put on too much) and immediately wipe with a tissue, before it dries. You'll rub off the sharpie from the glossy bits so it's only on the white part. It blends well, I've done it for years.

Goodwill $75 in the black case you kind of see it within. It's not all good though.

Good - System turns on, controller, audio all work, eye shield isn't damaged/funky, and has 3 nice games in their box, also has battery box and the AC adapter module too. Came in a nice hard briefcase, cleaned it up to keep it in.

Bad - Left eye is DEAD, games have no manuals, batteries blew up in the battery box, slight damage to game stickers, and my hands HURT. Also, no stand. :\

It was a blockbuster rental. Stickers on every single piece (system, battery box, ac adapter, part to ac adapter to lock on, games back AND FRONT.)

Took me hours to clean it. The games I had to thumb rub the stickers off the front the tools put on the labels, backs had big BB stickers to pick away then alcohol wipe to kill entirely as did everything else. Battery box was fairly crusty but superficially thankfully mostly on the flap coils up top, got it de-funked.

I'm going to have to mail this off, been wanting one of these nearly a decade and got it finally. I couldn't leave it to rot in that place, and they were annoyingly thinking of throwing it in the trash compactor when I mentioned it was broken, so it's a rescue.

post-48371-0-40550100-1548559954_thumb.jpg

• Like 6