IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Ohh, a Mario's Tennis "For Display Only" box... I got one of those too. Makes the collection more complete.

Nice!

Goodwill $75 in the black case you kind of see it within. It's not all good though.

Good - System turns on, controller, audio all work, eye shield isn't damaged/funky, and has 3 nice games in their box, also has battery box and the AC adapter module too. Came in a nice hard briefcase, cleaned it up to keep it in.

Bad - Left eye is DEAD, games have no manuals, batteries blew up in the battery box, slight damage to game stickers, and my hands HURT. Also, no stand. :\

It was a blockbuster rental. Stickers on every single piece (system, battery box, ac adapter, part to ac adapter to lock on, games back AND FRONT.)

Took me hours to clean it. The games I had to thumb rub the stickers off the front the tools put on the labels, backs had big BB stickers to pick away then alcohol wipe to kill entirely as did everything else. Battery box was fairly crusty but superficially thankfully mostly on the flap coils up top, got it de-funked.

I'm going to have to mail this off, been wanting one of these nearly a decade and got it finally. I couldn't leave it to rot in that place, and they were annoyingly thinking of throwing it in the trash compactor when I mentioned it was broken, so it's a rescue.

Ohh, a Mario's Tennis "For Display Only" box... I got one of those too. Makes the collection more complete.

Nice!

Yeah it does. I'll figure out something to do with it. I put it on a shelf sideways standing up with the other 2 for now as I don't want it smashed in the case all of it came in. I got my VB back on Saturday afternoon with the solder fix done on the ribbon cables and wow are the visually excellently clean, bright, and sharp. I'm glad the one I had came with pinball as it maybe the most replay value possible title the system has other than maybe 3D-Tetris depending on taste. With like 4-5 tables and a high score mechanism on it, lots of fun.

Same goodwill, but today of all things, Japanese N64 carts. Very strange to be in this area, seems it was a collection of them as there were a dozen, all marked $11 which sucked for the rest. There was Doraemon, Tamagotchi World, various JP version of games we did get too, and one of those T&E soft golf titles which were all worth less than they asked.

I know it was a break even on them importing (game+shipping) but I didn't care. It's Custom Robo, Custom Robo v2, and also Puyo Puyo Sun 64 so I'm happy. Also another shop, $3 - PS1 Street Fighter the Movie in a cracked(hinge gone on both) plastic long box. Haven't seen this one since the 90s at a store so I couldn't pass it up. Disc is scuffy enough, but superficial I hope as I haven't tried it yet.

post-48371-0-47584200-1549949494_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I also saw a bunch of gameboy color games today at goodwill. I think it was about 12 games. But 2 dollars each. But I skipped those. All unknown titles or sports. I also found what looks like an nes cleaning kit. Just the bare cart for 2 bucks. And I found a used dis with box, case, car charger, dock, and 3 styluses for 24 dollars and 99 cents. I will take some pics later.

I will add pics in a sec. But first I need to know what is the amps of a DSI charger. I only have a car charger and no wall charger. I do have a small device that plugs into the wall and converts the car adapter to the wall plug. But its only 500mah. Works great for my DS LITE. But DSI is probably more mah. Dont want to fry my DSI

I will add pics in a sec. But first I need to know what is the amps of a DSI charger. I only have a car charger and no wall charger. I do have a small device that plugs into the wall and converts the car adapter to the wall plug. But its only 500mah. Works great for my DS LITE. But DSI is probably more mah. Dont want to fry my DSI

It's the same as the 3DS... it's 900 mA.

Saw an ad in the facebook marketplace for some computer parts for 10 bucks for everything so I grabbed it. Even if a fraction of it works it's a good deal. I'm most hopeful for the 486 and motherboard. There's some decent video cards in here. A whole tray of floppies including 2 unopened packs. Some cool old software and hand scanners. Big boxes of video and sound cards of various types cdrom and dvd roms floppy dives hard drives. I've ordered an ide to sd card adapter so I probably won't even use those. Some interesting pieces in here that I couldn't pass up for ten bucks.

If that DDR2 800mhz XMS 2gb ram is good I'd buy it from you if your looking to sell it.

This I found yesterday and it threw me off at first. I got this nice $3 bag of 80s toy parts, inside was a rough rider (LJN ver of stompers) but it had the wrong top and was dead -- I revived it! Now I have a working motor and light, but no body unless I balance this jeep frame on top since locking it down will lock the wheels. What you see here are a lot of mostly GIJoe a few Masters, Kenner StarWars, Stompers and misc parts.

I went back later hoping the spot I found the bag was :( it was gone. Annoyed I looked around, scored this gem of a book set which (according to amazon) weighs 20lbs and it was all of $2. Second hand market seems to value it upwards of $100 unless you luck out closer to 60. I used to love this series, I probably will end up keeping it and flip through the jokes, but wow, nice score they missed pricing better as it was just tossed on top of a bookshelf in that area.

Just wish i could find another Omni rough rider top for my motor, I think it's the larger 4x4 pick up truck frame as it had the high arches which you can see here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LJN-Rough-Riders-4x4-Omni-Force-Missle-Truck/123641705458 (Also my wheel hubcaps are cone shaped like that too.)

**Not pictured also found another cheap $2 PS1 game (Jedi Power Battles, black label, excellent shape, total keeper.)

post-48371-0-03319500-1550679386_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-40719300-1550679390_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-01466400-1550679397_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

I don't often have much to share, but I went to Sierra Vista on Presidents Day and hit most of the thrift stores and pawn shops there. Here's what I got:

catcyclopedia.jpg
An encyclopedia of cats, because cats are great but I don't necessarily want to own one. Price? $2.50.
games-n-stuff.jpg
Various games and films, including Spider-Man 3 (panned by the critics, but I liked the first two so I'm willing to give it a chance) and Soul Calibur IV (much too hard for its own good, but at least it looks nice). WWE All-Stars was too scratched to work, but I really wanted to play it, so I had to go with plan B for this one. Again, it's too hard, but a handicap match smooths out that difficulty nicely. $7.50 for all of them.
interplay-tenth.jpg
Interplay's Ten Year Anthology. Who knew they were responsible for all these games? Who the heck knows how I'll get all these to run on a modern computer? Price? $5.00.
monitor.jpg
That weird monitor I found at Saint Vincent's. It's got nothin' but analog display ports (BNC, S-video, VGA), which is really weird for a flat screen monitor from 2011. It works really well for Saturn games, but needs some color adjustments. Model M170CP2, evidently designed for security and other professional uses. Only $2.00, but I didn't grab the right power supply so I had to substitute one from another device in my collection.
Didn't get anything from the Goodwill, as that was picked fairly clean by the middle of February. A DVD player here, some computer keyboards there, but nothing absolutely essential. It seems to have become a dumpster for products that retail products couldn't sell... lots of headphones and hand tools still in the package, with prices to match. Saint Vincent had something nobody wanted, a loudmouth redneck whose solution for America's issues was genocide. Price? A splitting headache, from having to listen to his dumb ass.

Nice stuff and that Interplay package I was aware of it and at one time a year ago was thinking of grabbing it. I looked it up, it still has value too around $30 so with you at $5 into it, you did very well.

It's easy to get it going on your PC. What you do is fire up dosbox, tell it to mount 2 drives instead of 1. Mount the optical to a letter so it can be picked up, then another as your primary drive on a set directory. Run the CD inside there, use the original DOS installers and have it dump it to your mounted drive you made, and it'll work like normal. I had to do this for a couple things I picked up fairly recently both for CD and 1.44 floppies.

Nice stuff and that Interplay package I was aware of it and at one time a year ago was thinking of grabbing it. I looked it up, it still has value too around $30 so with you at $5 into it, you did very well.

It's easy to get it going on your PC. What you do is fire up dosbox, tell it to mount 2 drives instead of 1. Mount the optical to a letter so it can be picked up, then another as your primary drive on a set directory. Run the CD inside there, use the original DOS installers and have it dump it to your mounted drive you made, and it'll work like normal. I had to do this for a couple things I picked up fairly recently both for CD and 1.44 floppies.

That works fine unless a game uses CD audio...

I thought that still worked.

I've got Knights of Xentar talkie-CD version of the game and it is able to access the audio on it. The game just like in real dos, when you enter a new area where a tune fires up, or when you get into a pop up conversation the game pauses a moment while the CD spins up to play the correct audio. I had to configured D-Fend Reloaded a particular way for it to work, but it does. Same with PGA Tour 96 for DOS.

I thought that still worked.

I've got Knights of Xentar talkie-CD version of the game and it is able to access the audio on it. The game just like in real dos, when you enter a new area where a tune fires up, or when you get into a pop up conversation the game pauses a moment while the CD spins up to play the correct audio. I had to configured D-Fend Reloaded a particular way for it to work, but it does. Same with PGA Tour 96 for DOS.

Oh it would play but DOSBOX does not do CD audio very well at least with default settings. But then again I don't care since I just play on a real DOS system anyway.

I saw what looked like a third party usb ps 3 controller at goodwill today for 4 bucks. I passed.

Also pretty much every 3rd party wireless PS3 controller required a USB dongle, which being at Goodwill would mean it would be missing. Though your's might have been wired. Lol

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

I actually have a post in this forum again! Yay!

First pic - not thrift store finds but at prices that were largely better than thrift store prices (all items are brand new).
post-30739-0-83366900-1550888697_thumb.jpg

1. Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival with two Amiibos - Wii U - $9 (Walmart); 2. Super Smash Bros Wii U - $3 (Walmart); 3. Pokemon Y Nintendo 3DS - $3 (Walmart); 4. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Nintendo 3DS - $3 (Walmart); 5. Infinity 3.0 Star Wars disc pack - $2 (Walmart); 6. Murdered Soul Suspect Xbox 360 - $5.69 (Target)

Second pic - thrift store finds - all $2 each

post-30739-0-46142400-1550888986_thumb.jpg

Looks like the GBA games are 7 Trials To Glory Yu-Gi-Oh, Road Rash Jailbreak and Ultimate Masters (x2).

• Like 2