IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Game Boy Advance games have been bootlegged for many years now... I like to call them "Nintondos," because that's what is usually embossed on the back of the cartridge. Some signs of a fake include the Macintosh Chicago font in place of standard Nintendo lettering, product codes that don't match up with the actual game's product code, and (although this is tough to discern from a snapshot) the lack of a number stamped into the label. The only way to be really, truly sure is to open it up and find "Nintendo" printed on the circuit board... I think you can also look into the bottom of the cart to find that, but it's harder to see that way.

The last few years (latest fake revision) has Nintendo on the board too. The only way then to tell as the plastic isn't wrong either, and typically the sticker isn't either or it's likely literally a pixel off, is the hidden part of the board. Usually a mix of quality MX etc chips and a central glop top to channel the information bottlenecking it down to the total pins of the GBA itself as a re-route to communicate properly. Happened to me a few years back with a UK release of Alien Hominid. The sticker was literally a pixel off even a photo didn't pick up. I had to open it to see what happened, blasted the dude for it as by the time it arrived other people were howling in feedback, and I basically got the money back and he got removed. Only by finding a really high resolution image of the true sticker could I see how extremely narrowly off it was no photo would have picked up.

Reminds me I got a Zelda Minish Cap like that. The quality of the bootleg is really crazy, and only by opening the cart to see the glob-top you can guess it's a fake.

Or (and it's why I picked it up rather than other ones) just being aware than Nintendo NEVER made any Zelda Minish Cap game with a transluscent green shell :)

ila-1548-2.jpg

(not my pic)

It's available for under 5$ even, so really unless you despise bootlegs, it's not so bad.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

Reminds me I got a Zelda Minish Cap like that. The quality of the bootleg is really crazy, and only by opening the cart to see the glob-top you can guess it's a fake.

Or (and it's why I picked it up rather than other ones) just being aware than Nintendo NEVER made any Zelda Minish Cap game with a transluscent green shell :)

(not my pic)

It's available for under 5$ even, so really unless you despise bootlegs, it's not so bad.

See now there's something in the past I would not have agreed to at all, but given the way prices have gone, and if you really don't want a flash kit. The obvious to the dead pan 1:1 quality knockoffs that cost so so cheap I warmly welcome. Like, for instance, there's this yellow cart for GBC a 22in1 (has a family of 4 in red, green and blue with varying totals) that has pokemon yellow, all 4 of the GBC english KOnami GB Collection packages, shantae and a few others on there. Fantastic and around $20 or so. Given what KGBC Vol4 alone goes for, not to mention Shantae it's a no brainer if you just want a moderate great A selection of GB/GBC exclusives. Just as it's nice if you want a fake $100 or $1000 NES/SNES/GB whatever game you can find that $15-25 copy online too. If the a mix of fools and their impatience with money and those happy to exploit it would have never caused the slippery slope, such things would likely never have existed but there's clearly a market. In the end it's whatever that person wants to do with their money, not what others being concerned about what others buy that matters, but if it makes them happy, good.

That said for FINDS, excellent weekend of sorts. Tried a thrift circle as usual on the weekend, but it went differently than usual. $7 or all that, and then 2 stompers but both were wrecked, fixed the motor/wheels chassis on one, but the body was wrecked, but kept the parts off the totally toasted one which is the first picture. The Mega Man 2 in that pic was jacked up on the LCD, stripped it down and fixed it, SF2 already worked, such a screwball game. Much of those GB manuals are old school GB/GBC/GBA black manuals. Abadox manual there and the partner poster with Cali Games on the back. My kid also paid $3 at that guys house, got a full bag of littlest pet shop toys which she was thrilled by. The spyro manual I have the game for, and my daughter has SMB3 gba so now she's got a manual too. Before this was at an estate sale, for $25 got the Muhammad Ali item (it's complete in there, excellent shape too, like most of that kind of equipment looks to be unused), value is around 5x that surprisingly.

Then yesterday gas was 30cents cheaper just out of town, went to the ruined flea market, outside has nice eye candy a little but mostly bleh, but inside that is absolutely ruined found in one booth these goodies for $15. The 2 toys though were outside for a quarter a piece, and the old robotech toy was a surprise under a pile of modern stuff.

post-48371-0-01748100-1553566229_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-30173200-1553566234_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-05493100-1553566283_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Several months ago, my local thrift had a PS3 for $25, 30 (I don't remember exactly). I passed- it's a bit much for me for a likely broken system (it was in rough shape, and no cables/controller.)

Yesterday, I found this one:

20190409 093043

Seven bucks for a cosmetically sound (if dirty) machine is more my kind of gamble! No accessories still, but digging through the bins I found a $4 hdmi cable, which is better than I can do on Amazon for a good cable. Surprisingly, it seems to be perfectly functional- I really thought it would have been hacked or something, but no- the HDMI port is loose, but works. Google suggests that could be an easy (if fiddly) thing to fix. It's got a 320gb hard drive, and since it still had old user data on it, I've currently got it going through a full system restore to get back to factory settings before I try connecting it to the wifi.

Got a power cable for a buck from an Ebay guy I trust, and took a gamble on a $10 untested dualshock- if all works out, I'll have a full setup for $25. Plus the copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 left in the disc drive. :-D

• Like 3

Finally a first dry and warm start to a Saturday since I think last October so I went to the flea market and wow it was worth the trip and the money I had saved up to go too.

The 2 early handhelds were $6 with the yellow one seemingly dead (fixed it) due to bad battery rot. The SNES+N64 stuff was $15 and Drakkhen is cib. FF4/CT was $5. Roach was $5. Voltron was $1, Red guy was $1, Swamp Thing was $1, and the penny racer from Takara is $1 too. All the Monster in my Pocket and the 5 other unknowns along with Lion-O were $1.. Red Warrior Tron was $5. The MIMP+LionO were an indoor new space, everything else was outside.

I've since organized those monsters, the glow drac isn't one, nor is the dude in the coffin, or the red alien looking thing, but the other 36 are all legit and 25 of them are the original series too. Always knew of them, wanted them in the 80s, but had MUSCLE instead.

My daughter brought some too and not pictured she got some new hatchimal mini collectible figures, a littlest pet shop small play set, a nice guy gave her a free robotic cat that seems to do a lot, and a few other fun toys too.

Anyone here have an idea what the heck those non monster in my pocket figures are? I know what the milky white blobish block thing is though.

post-48371-0-01360200-1554831571_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-85179300-1554831612_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have been firmly in the "maintenance" phase of collecting, with buying large lots of games firmly behind me. But every once in a while, the games find me!

I was over a buddy's place last night picking up something car related from him (I'm big time into the old car hobby, as are most of my friends), and he had asked if I had any interest in some games he had kicking around. He tossed out a price of "$25 and a loaded baked potato". While I gave him the $25, I gave him an I.O.U. on the potato. :lol:

Here's the haul:

Tunrdi6l.jpg

r9fEx2gl.jpg

nmowX0Yl.jpg?1

Genesis Stuff:

-Sega Genesis Model 1 non-High Definition Graphics, with power adapter

-Sega 6-button controller

-Performance 6-button controller

-Mortal Kombat CIB

-Barkley Shut Up And Jam 2

-NHL 95

-MLBPA Baseball

-Sonic 2 "Not for resale" variant

-Paperboy

-California Games

-Toy Story

-Sonic The Hedgehog "Not for resale" variant

-The Lion King

-Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

-X Men

-Sega 6-Pak

-Aladdin

-Spider Man & X-Men in Arcade's Revenge

PS2 Stuff:

-PS2 Slim CIB (manuals and everything) with two black controllers

-Gravity Games Bike: Street-Dirt-Vert

-MVP Baseball 2003

-ATV Offroad Fury 2 "Not for resale" variant

-Star Ocean: Til The End Of Time

-GTA: San Andreas

-All Star Baseball 2003

-Airblade

-World Series of Poker

-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005

-Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain

-Frogger (PS1)

-Call of Duty 3

All in all, nothing crazy rare, but there were quite a few titles that I didn't have. My PS2 Slim has been on the fritz lately, so this one will probably take its place. All of the PS2 games were CIB, save for the two loosies at the bottom of the pic. I need to clean it all up (it was sitting in his garage for years), add what I didn't have to the collection, and probably use the rest for trade-in fodder at my local store.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

On the way there, I stopped by Walmart to pick up a fire extinguisher for my new-to-me 1979 Dodge Power Wagon, as it's leaking oil and I don't want it too self immolate. I nearly always find deals at this particular store, and scooped this up for $10:

XsWhm6Fl.jpg

I missed out on Starfox 64 back when it was released, so this has been on my list since I got my 3DS. They had a bunch of other games on clearance, but I was in a hurry so I just grabbed this and left.

• Like 2

I had what for both days over the weekend felt like a waste of time other than being out and doing something until the last stops.

Desperation I checked a shop I hadn't been in for 6mo, only did as I took the longer way home from down south, bagged these both for $2 and very worth it (pic 1.)

Then the following day, pretty much same bs, then a goodwill nets again for $2/ea (not pictured) Absolution Pinball (aka Worms Pinball + Rally Fever Pinball) and also Quake II. But I was rolling by Half Price Books, usually better known as Full Price Books or Buy it Now Books, yet it wasn't for once. They got some collection of PS1 games in all very cherry. $20 and $17 respectively, very happy too to add Parasite Ever and Ape Escape which seem fun so far. I didn't want to dig too deep a hole but there were other goodies like Hot Shots Golf, Mech Warrior 2, (if I didn't loathe the game styles -- Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 2), and others as well mostly fairly priced.

post-48371-0-77007600-1555349959_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-72415500-1555349966_thumb.jpg

Yesterday, I was out and about with the wife, and coming off the highway on the off-ramp, I saw something completely random and out of place, but I wasn't quite sure what it was until after we were past it. After we went to the store we were going to, I ended up having to get back on the highway, and I spotted the object again. This time I stopped super quick, hopped out, grabbed it. Yes, I'm nuts.

w33cunXl.jpg

v3dd6Vol.jpg

Yeah, it was a Nintendo Power Pad! How the hell did this end up on the side of the highway?

The cord is severed at the connector end, and I already have a good working one, so this will become wall art, a cape, or something else. Maybe I'll fly it like a flag on the back of my pickup truck like all the Truck Bros do with various flags. Maybe that's how it ended up on the side of the road in the first place. :lol:

• Like 2

Yeah, it was a Nintendo Power Pad! How the hell did this end up on the side of the highway?

The cord is severed at the connector end, and I already have a good working one, so this will become wall art, a cape, or something else. Maybe I'll fly it like a flag on the back of my pickup truck like all the Truck Bros do with various flags. Maybe that's how it ended up on the side of the road in the first place. :lol:

Oooo! Door mat or area rug! Door mat or area rug!

Or, or- cut open the top part around each number, add in a fabric pocket, and it's a 12-day advent calendar! OR- mount it to a slanted board, attach some short cardboard or plastic tubes over/around the numbers, and it's a cornhole game!

Sorry, my crafty side is coming out... I got a busted Vader when I was 13, and if I'd had access to a Dremel then, I'd probably have an Atari desk organizer right now.

• Like 1

Oooo! Door mat or area rug! Door mat or area rug!

Or, or- cut open the top part around each number, add in a fabric pocket, and it's a 12-day advent calendar! OR- mount it to a slanted board, attach some short cardboard or plastic tubes over/around the numbers, and it's a cornhole game!

Sorry, my crafty side is coming out... I got a busted Vader when I was 13, and if I'd had access to a Dremel then, I'd probably have an Atari desk organizer right now.

The possibilities are truly endless!

• 2 weeks later...

Found a Wii for $6usd a few weeks ago and lucked into a loose stand and sensor bar this week for $3. All works good.

Same day, different store was a original NES for $10. NES has a dirty/tarnished ZIF connector. It will play a game only with direct pressure applied to top of cart.

The Raspberry Pi in NESPi case I have had for a while but it looks good atop the original.

post-15209-0-15763800-1556419109.jpg

• Like 2

Flea finds, $15 on the little game, everything else were a dollar each even the soon to not be brand new viewmaster packages. (I find they're worth $10/ea on ebay opened or not, not that I'd sell them as I have a viewmaster and like them as I inherited it from my grandma a few years before she passed.)

That game though, it's my new oldest owned toy 1929 Popeye the Juggler, my other old stuff are from the 1930s - Fischer Price marionette cat with oilcloth ears, and a couple of Poosh-M-Up Bagatelle games.

I just wish Raider the Shogun Warrior wasn't hand-less, so I'll look to fix that.

post-48371-0-76010900-1556428390_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a bit of good luck two days ago and today and at the same place in the nearly same situation too. The Goodwill I regular M-F on the way to pick the kiddo up. I had to get a haircut on saturday and was like whatever and rolled over to the shop feeling like I might get lucky, and well I did. Recently wheeled out a shopping cart was presenting what appeared to just be a large pile of mostly womens shoes, but something was poking out, plastic, toy, robot like, and as I kept tossing shoes to another cart I came up with quite a few G1 Transformers missing most their accessories, but hey even as expensive as parts get at 99 cents a piece for the lot of 8 of them aside from Prime for 1.99 I'm not complaining. :D There is Powermaster Optimus Prime and Doubledealer (with 1 of 2 powermaster bots), Carnivac (the big wolf and little plastic purple goes inside), Slog, Doublecross, decepticon clones, and Hun-gurr. Then there was that nice new package of yo-yo strings, a really cool survival kit, and the little firework poppers for all of under $13 out the door.

And then today I had a few minutes before pick up, and sitting in a zip bag for $7, a nearly spotless/scuff free black DS Lite with loose Rayman and Brain Age 2, formerly owned by a girl seeing the user name. I swear each time I find a handheld owned by a girl they treat the stuff obviously far better than boys do which is just sad. I've decided to keep the device too, haven't had a DS since the 3DS came out and I think I could do some local DS wireless play with my kid as she has one too in pink.

I've had good luck with Nintendo handhelds in the last 2 months. I've picked up for 20 or fairly less all in excellent shape GBA SP in platnium, cobalt blue, and onyx gray too. The first was system alone with charger, the blue was in a nice pouch with charger and 3 dollar titles, and the gray had no charger(but I had a spare) with SMB3 and 2 other dollar titles. I've never had so many of the things pop up in any amount of reasonable time which is nice.

post-48371-0-53033800-1557197274_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-75939800-1557197538_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

I swear each time I find a handheld owned by a girl they treat the stuff obviously far better than boys do which is just sad. I've decided to keep the device too, haven't had a DS since the 3DS came out and I think I could do some local DS wireless play with my kid as she has one too in pink.

You should see my daughter's 2DS. It's gross because she never washes her hands without me reminding her.

Ugh I'd rather not. I mean this one could have been shmootzed up too at some point, but actual real damage vs just being gross about it are different things if you're fine taking five minutes to sterilize and clean using 91% alcohol. :D

I did a neighborhood garage sale yesterday and it was insane, I got a lot of stuff for little, a good bit thrown to me free no less too which was weird but it was considered 'parts' and some of it was like that stack of 3 systems in the back left corner. I tried to frankenstein a working unit into one but it just kept having problems, even more when the top was put back on that it even jacked up my star trek invasion disc. :(

Anyway the PS2 with the controllers and games, 3 memory cards was $20. The broken PS1 stack was nothing nor were the 2 PS3 controllers of which one I got working and good 100%, the other done but a good battery I recovered. The teal GBC was free, it's jacked up all around other than the board, lcd, and speaker so I'll take care of it, and the repop smoke shell on the DMG it was $2 and is great. The parts guy gave me 2 of those 3 NES games free, one was $10, and TF had no manual but all rest are complete. Bought the bouncer for $5 for indoor fun with the kiddo. The rubik was broken, 50cent loss. The Spirograph was $3, 100% in the box and the first release of it from Kenner too in excellent shape. And the yellow beast there is from 1965 it's a Geiger Counter for the Civil Defense force and 100% in the box with all those pieces for $30.

Today, not pictured, got a spool of 52x possible CD-rs new, HP brand for 99cents, Pharoah in its jewel case/manual for the same, and (pictured) for $10 a TF G1 Masterpiece of Skywarp with the full body, pilot, one missile rack(missing the rest, anyone got cheap parts?) :P

post-48371-0-85508500-1557697353_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-58577600-1557697508_thumb.jpg

I can't edit my post but that jet is dead and I'm angry about it. I'm currently stripping it for parts since you said they're scarce. Perhaps $5/pc would make people happy, or just a lot of parts for some toy reseller for $30

Pilot, missile rack, 4 flaps from the wings, both rear tail and rudder assemblies, both jet nozzles by the feet, the head, etc. Damn I'm angry it broke it was very nice looking, but no matter what I did it was catching so I don't know if it was equally me pushing on it, or someone jacked it up, but short of popping the head off it would not bring the nose cone part down and around, nor would it do a couple other things reading the scanned manual online said it would do. Typical goodwill, it's either obviously good, obviously broken, or deceitfully hiding problems to dump it on someone else.

Haven't had a haul posted here in a while since it seems where I moved is pretty dry, but I finally got a nice haul today from one store, a bunch of random games I've never heard of which is probably my favorite type to find. Bit of a surprise finding so much since there's two retro game stores in town so this person could have easily sold them to those. Othello was from another store where there were a bunch of electronic poker type games but this was the only one that was interesting to me.

Aside from the big names the only games I actually know in this stack are the M+Ms game which I actually have nostalgia with of the PC version, and Kickle Cubicle due to a Deprecation Guild song.

D63vXSWXsAAWVLM.jpg

• Like 1

Some new platters (and a cartridge) for the game collection:

post-6115-0-23522100-1558496666.jpg

And some new platters for the vinyl collection:

post-6115-0-63735900-1558496688_thumb.jpg

The 45 is a reissue of Yogi Yorgesson's (real name Harry Stewart) "I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas". The song first came out in 1949; I believe this 45 is from the '70s. The song later appeared on Dr. Demento's Christmas novelty CD.

• Like 1

Some new platters (and a cartridge) for the game collection:

attachicon.gif2019-05-18-02.jpg

And some new platters for the vinyl collection:

attachicon.gif2019-05-18-03.jpg

The 45 is a reissue of Yogi Yorgesson's (real name Harry Stewart) "I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas". The song first came out in 1949; I believe this 45 is from the '70s. The song later appeared on Dr. Demento's Christmas novelty CD.

And on the other side is: "Yingle Bells"!

No picture, but I was shocked today for find a couple of items on a shelf at the goodwill for $2/ea -- PS1 MGS black label with extremely minimally scuffed otherwise clean discs. The case was a bit ehh, but they're common plastics so I swapped them. The other was just the original PS2 release of Crazy Taxi with some wear but it's fine. Can't complain about that amount of fun for so little.

• Like 1

Got this Ideal 1977 TCR Race Car Set today and nearly complete missing maybe a flag and a couple cones, even has all the paperwork and even a spare third truck cab with its backing and extra bits. I can't get it to work reliably yet but I'm troubleshooting it and it's improving. $8 at a goodwill sale out on the grass today (also were giving away free food.) It's an interesting set, basically you can flip that toggle on the back of the controller to change lanes to pass, so it's like a non-slot slot car setup.

Also found for $2/ea DDR Konamix PS1 and Phantasy Star Universe PS2 which which nice to see, also for a dollar the GB version of NES Play Action Football.

post-48371-0-24295300-1558749248_thumb.jpg

• Like 2