IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Well I was surprised for two reasons today for the same item.

Got this, 20% off sale too, so it was $32. The first surprise was that it cost that much which I would have figured high, and the second surprise I was wrong to find it's more worth $90 +/- in the complete very nice shape that it is in. I had this back in the day and never finished it, vaguely remember either running out of time/distracted and moving on or getting annoyed at the difficulty as it was well up there over the other two. I only recently found that cheap DSLite I think I mentioned a month or so back, guess now I have something to enjoy it with so a solid win in my book. Also not pictured found that $25 Pokemon Let's Go Guide sealed up for $8 too (same sale, same store.) Now with maps, feeling more motivated to play that one too, and at a thrift for a dollar each excellent shape PS2 Guitar Hero 3 and Swing Away Golf.

post-48371-0-63204300-1558929272_thumb.jpg

Wow sweet, both of them at the same time. Shame the one manual is gone but for $2 easily replaced at not a loss. I know people hate on that game so irrationally but it out Zelda'd zelda in enough good ways in how that adventure game played out.

Well, that sounds like that'd be pretty sweet to try, but double check the second pic, I won't be trying them any time soon ;)

Well, that sounds like that'd be pretty sweet to try, but double check the second pic, I won't be trying them any time soon ;)

Bitch trying to view them on a small phone screen, but well I wouldn't consider what you got a downgrade by a real upgrade even if the box/book aren't the match.

I had a bit of luck today, $20 got me a pristine copy of PS1 Hot Shots Golf 2, but also a blue Game Gear in a 3rd party case along with the ac adapter and sonic 2 + pac-attack. The thing needs a total recap, it's soft on audio and rolling horizontal lines like an old tv with the hold jacked up with bad rabbit ears. I've already ordered a cap kit and glass lens, and a moment ago popped another $10 for the LED update to remove that crappy CFL.

This will be a fun experience as I've upped my solder game recently doing micro sized stuff with the virtual boy ribbon cable among others.

post-48371-0-77497200-1559442325_thumb.jpg

The last month roughly has been one irregular out of the normal for me in finding stuff at a decent pace. Today the run continued and just a few houses down my street at the corner. I paid $40, talked $10 off it because the PSP was an unknown, and I was right, it has no battery inside so that'll need to be fixed. But given the value of those systems now, especially that FF4 game and it has the sealed cards inside too, and the DQ DS game is up over what it was some years ago it was a good solid pick up to enjoy. PSP will need a serious cleaning, and perhaps if I do keep the thing and I think I will, the front I'd replace as it's scuffy (back is too but a pain to pop off having to gut the entire system.)

post-48371-0-84094900-1559510618_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yard sale find ... DS with 14 mainly Petz and Sims games with a $30 price tag. Was thinking "pass" until I saw that the DS was the Tri-Force edition! Powered on and has the stylus so I scooped up the lot and convinced her to include Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the $30. Kirby's Canvas Curse is a decent find as well.

post-31049-0-13202100-1559828768_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That Game Gear I had has been put to death, it repeatedly attempted to commit suicide one update/repair after another until it hit a wall of unrepairability.

If anyone wants a nice blue shell, a new handheld legend LED strip still bagged up, a glass lens, sega ac adapter, sonic2 and pac-attack in their cases and a 3rd party game gear pouch I've got them. :(

Anyway luck turned around a bit since that stupid loss back on Wednesday.

Thursday got me this $2 bag of DS/GBA goodies (10 games)

Friday then netted Loco Roco 2 for $6, Dissidia 012 for $10, a 1996 Star Tours Han Solo Blaster for a dollar, and 2CD Blood for a dollar too!

Then my nice track ball broke. :( Back on a stupid mouse...

Saturday then well it's not games, but I got all those records from the original owner in excellent shape (but 1, which is wrecked trash, The Beatles record) for $2 so I can't complain. Then I went by a goodwill, found a nice selection of original redline Hot Wheels from the 1970s along with those 2 Tonka trucks too! ($4/per each.)

post-48371-0-29924800-1560058189_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-32394800-1560058195_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-88696000-1560058276_thumb.jpg

post-48371-0-29888700-1560058287_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

My Super Mario 64 DS card has been lost for like 12 years now... I wish I could find it... if I want to player Mario 64 at least I have the original game still... but would have been really nice to play on my 3DS and take advantage of finally having a good analog stick... nice score on Blood as well... great FPS... too bad it's not the complete version... I own it digitally but play it on my DOS PC... no CD audio but I bet I could rip the soundtrack from the Steam release and just burn it to a CD and pop it in when I play (if that'll work).

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

That Game Gear I had has been put to death, it repeatedly attempted to commit suicide one update/repair after another until it hit a wall of unrepairability.

If anyone wants a nice blue shell, a new handheld legend LED strip still bagged up, a glass lens, sega ac adapter, sonic2 and pac-attack in their cases and a 3rd party game gear pouch I've got them.

Do you need a donor? I've got a plain ol' black Game Gear that was functional at last use (although in need of a recap). I bought a McWill modded one last year so I'm not doing anything with it.

My Super Mario 64 DS card has been lost for like 12 years now... I wish I could find it... if I want to player Mario 64 at least I have the original game still... but would have been really nice to play on my 3DS and take advantage of finally having a good analog stick... nice score on Blood as well... great FPS... too bad it's not the complete version... I own it digitally but play it on my DOS PC... no CD audio but I bet I could rip the soundtrack from the Steam release and just burn it to a CD and pop it in when I play (if that'll work).

Well that and M&L I picked up the case+manuals to complete them for around $7/ea shipped so I'm happy to block that off, and the other my kid is really enjoying along with Frogger. I'll have to get around to the others. Monsters and Spongebob are boots, and she didn't want them so they're junk as I won't turn those around on someone else. If you mean by complete for Blood the lack of the 2 expansions sure, but it is the complete full original game. I have started it up just once so far in the windows nBlood app, though I should just setup a d-fend reloaded scheme for it and use DOS for the CD too as there's no reason not to. And yeah I could pop for it on GoG, I did wishlist it, then this shows up, so maybe?

Do you need a donor? I've got a plain ol' black Game Gear that was functional at last use (although in need of a recap). I bought a McWill modded one last year so I'm not doing anything with it.

Well that's nice of you, not sure what I would do with it other than have to yet again recap another and stuff the LED strip in there if it didn't melt down on me again so I'd need to buy another kit. The main board wasn't so much the problem but the tiny work on the sound board was infuriating trying to lay down those surface mounts in such a confined space.

Funny you came across that Star Wars blaster, Tanooki. Just last weekend I saw one too:

post-6115-0-56707500-1560141759_thumb.jpg

This was part of a collection I was asked to offer some advice on for a planned estate sale. A friend of a friend who had recently lost her husband was planning to downsize, which included selling everything he had accumulated. He was definitely on the geeky side. Besides tons of Star Wars toys, there was a C-64 set complete with 1701 monitor, a pair of Intellivisions and a nice Sega Master System collection. I really wanted her to sell the latter stuff to me and I offered what I thought was a fair price, but I also told her how she can look at sold auctions on eBay to get a fair idea of the value. I haven't heard back from her yet, and I don't want to be the vulture that pressures someone into selling things with sentimental value even when necessary to move on with life, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that she eventually calls me back.

In the meantime, the thrift stores yielded these bits to add to my collection...

post-6115-0-44842800-1560141998_thumb.jpg

Did I say the Sega Master System II was the most useless console redesign? I take it back. The Wii "Mini" easily takes the crown. No wifi, no Game Cube support, no SD slot, and a flip-top drive that means you actually need more room to use this thing than the original Wii. But hey, this was one of the few ways you could get the red Wiimote and Nunchuck, and it's a new design to add to the collection, so, why not?

And now I have a Flashback Portable! I'll have to see what everyone's been doing with theirs.

Not bad, the store version of the orange blaster and yeah crazy timing of it all. Good of you to help the lady out, maybe it will turn out, but if not, you're right no vulturing the recently dead. That pikachu system is nice, though I can't say that about the Wii as how you put it is exactly right. The link above pretty much spells out everything you need to know about that flashback atari handheld. I wouldn't expect a lot, at least beyond the confines of the 2600 but it's not bad for what it is.

It's not gaming, and I don't care, as I've wanted this since 1985 and never got it (ended up with the car one) and all these years never seen one for sale except online other than when I pulled a beat up yellow lion from a box a couple years back.

This kicked my paypal a bit, I'll be up front, it was $80, but if you price it online it goes for at least 50% more than that and perhaps higher given the condition and the version it is. This is the Made in Japan Y&K Golion from 1981, not the later run Taiwanese ones or the 1985 matchbox Voltron for US TV either. It's mostly diecast metal, no obvious scrapes or scuffs, nothing broken or loose on it, and both the lion heads on the arms have really solid springs to shoot out as intended. This was like a toy unicorn for me as some would call it, and I just happened to find it at The Great Escape in town a few hours ago and it had not even been on the shelf yet 24 hours. :D

post-48371-0-94144700-1560394631_thumb.jpg

• Like 2