IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

On 6/22/2019 at 10:15 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

20190622_215929.thumb.jpg.0f69d83d6936157dde726ccfb1fc9a60.jpg

Sim Copter is that game with that infamous Easter egg. Story Book Weaver was featured in an LGR video. P.O.W. Doesn't seem to work. I cleaned it with 91% rubbing alcohol. Going to try some brass polish next as the pins seem quite messed up. Pitfall II works (damn that ladder with the frog and the bats lol).

Turns out P.O.W. works! Tried the brass polish (Brasso was all I could find) and now it runs great. Now it might have actually worked before I tried the polish as for some reason the title screen comes after a solid white screen. Kinda weird design choice considering the NES's issues with white screens.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

I found a non-working TRS-80 Model 100 bundle(Laptop, leather case, Fabric carrying case, Tandy Portable Disk Drive(no cable), printer cable(no printer), model 100 manual, Portable Computing with the Model 100 book, adapter, some cables, and a receipt) for $50 at a flea market. I always wanted a TRS-80 and the guy said it worked, so I went ahead and bought it. But when I plugged it in, the screen won't turn on!(The low battery led works, I can hear beeps when I type on the keyboard, but nothing is on the screen) I took it to a repair shop but they couldn't fix it...

P.S. I also found a GIANT NES bundle with about 30+ games with sleeves and the box thing you put the nes in(got no idea what it's called) but the guy that was selling it noticed I was super excited to see it, and told me it was $200! I walked away without saying a thing.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

P.S. I also found a GIANT NES bundle with about 30+ games with sleeves and the box thing you put the nes in(got no idea what it's called) but the guy that was selling it noticed I was super excited to see it, and told me it was $200! I walked away without saying a thing.

Ouch, predatory jerk saw you couldn't keep a poker face and that's a real crime right there.  There were quite a few of those box things, so not sure which it was but some of them were pretty handy to a point.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:40 PM, 0078265317 said:

Hit the jackpot today.  Found a bunch of cool stuff today at goodwill.  Did not buy anything except I got 3 games.  Space invaders gameboy and nba hangtime n64 and monopoly n64.  Also had geko n64 but I skipped it.  

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2019/06/goodwill-hunt-06-27-2019.html?m=1

How are you hitting the jackpot if you don't buy anything but 3 commons? So you just go around taking pictures of stuff in the store and post it online? That is the "jackpot" from your point of view? I would kick you out of the store. Talk about bizarre behavior.

• Like 1

Yay me, 2.99 at my favorite close by goodwill today on an off day I wouldn't have really gone in being summer.  I wanted one of these nearly 30 years ago and it never happened.  It was dusty, plastic was hazed over pretty well, no battery cover, and a couple popped pegs inside there too, and it has one light out in the center lower bumper.

Took about an hour to work on it and made a new cover using double layered cardboard glued together and popped a clean hole into it for run a screw into the thread.  Tore it down almost entirely just left what was anchored in for wiring and cleaned it all inside and out.  Re-attached the 2 popped pegs (one is viewable in left upper-ish black rubber sling pot, the other is center middle under sticker.)  Cleaned up the scoreboard as it was spinning a little off, and it was a hair trigger to cut off on the switch addressed too.  Alcohol cleaned, then buffed novus 2 on the clear plastic inside and out, then cleaned it off, then polished with a spray after that and it's nice very nice.  Just wish I could find the cover and figure out if it's really worthwhile/possible to fix the dead light.  The filament looked ok, but who knows, not worth breaking it.

streetfighter2pinball.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So a nice little chunk of NES bits came to my store last week...

Thrift1.thumb.jpg.db4f94d985283da0f71d25809f73c535.jpg

I kept only a couple of things.  The rest is now for sale, along with a whole lot more for a whole lot more systems!

Thrift2.thumb.jpg.694c9f7c3b78092fc06431f43241537d.jpg

Some other additions to my own collection.

Thrift3.thumb.jpg.459dbc4f9b0100b3956e522988c2745d.jpg

I get the feeling this 360 is a bit worse for wear, but I still had to take a picture for posterity. :)

4 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

So a nice little chunk of NES bits came to my store last week...

Thrift1.thumb.jpg.db4f94d985283da0f71d25809f73c535.jpg

I kept only a couple of things.  The rest is now for sale, along with a whole lot more for a whole lot more systems!

Thrift2.thumb.jpg.694c9f7c3b78092fc06431f43241537d.jpg

Some other additions to my own collection.

Thrift3.thumb.jpg.459dbc4f9b0100b3956e522988c2745d.jpg

I get the feeling this 360 is a bit worse for wear, but I still had to take a picture for posterity. :)

I never seen such a yellowed NES Advantage... wow!

Two goodwills of all things, $21 for all you see.  The DS games are complete and were $1/ea, they had others but not interesting to me or what I'd think my kid would like either.  The TF was $11 in very nice shape.

This was the usual places I look at on the weekend, but I've been a week w/out AC and even now fixed about 12hrs ago it's still ehh in here due to a week of heat and humidity so leaving was a benefit for once. :P

gw-7-17.jpg

Swung by humane thrift while walking around for pokemon go community day (mudkips everywhere!) Picked up these:20190721_204148.thumb.jpg.9c9072d4b39524daaac2c3992eaf9e2c.jpg20190721_204202.thumb.jpg.590dd1b329cc068bb138e7e26a44c044.jpg

Mr. Driller is complete & was $5, which is decent- but the Scrabble folio was the real find. It's complete save for the scoring pencil, and it was only $1.50. I got it for my mom, she loves word games so now she has one she can take on trips.

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 1

Not bad at all and Drill Spirits is a fantastic game (forgot about it.)  I may have to hope I find one of those locally as I'm trying to be firm and more or less avoid ebay for DS games to spread the stuff out (though I'm chomping at the bit for Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk again.)

Got lucky this weekend.  The weekend treated me well. Evil Dead trilogy and left column was today for $22. Saturday before the flea for too hot for $5. The $5 stuff is all the GBA/GBC stuff in the center column and everything on the right one.

No complaints here and if you know your stuff you know why. If anyone is curious keeping the TFs/toys, movies, little else. A rare weekend it worked out well.  The most expensive item was the oddball G1, $10, but considering it's in the TF community seemingly one of the most obscure and forgotten items it's also the most expensive thing on the table there worth at least $100 given the battery cover is missing (and no it's NFS.)  Darn thing is so obscure finding info on it is next to impossible and I'd like to replace the bulb in it. ?

fleathrift-720-21.jpg

I got a famicom with authentic ac adapter, authentic switchbox, and a mahjong(why did that guy only have mahjong? why not zelda or super mario?) at a korean flea market for 18,000 KWW, which is about $15. Can't check whether it works at this moment though(that part is driving me crazy)... It's pretty filthy, but I managed to clean it up a bit with ethanol and cotton swabs(hurray for the guy who invented cotton swabs!!!) The controllers are in pretty bad shape, but hey, $15. 

20190723_181919.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/23/2019 at 4:28 AM, bluejay said:

I got a famicom with authentic ac adapter, authentic switchbox, and a mahjong(why did that guy only have mahjong? why not zelda or super mario?) at a korean flea market for 18,000 KWW, which is about $15. Can't check whether it works at this moment though(that part is driving me crazy)... It's pretty filthy, but I managed to clean it up a bit with ethanol and cotton swabs(hurray for the guy who invented cotton swabs!!!) The controllers are in pretty bad shape, but hey, $15. 

20190723_181919.jpg

Not bad for 15.  Controllers look pretty clean also.

3 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Okay you win... thread over... lol

Planning on scoring a PSX-DVR(the PlayStation in Japan that has a 500GB harddrive to record TV, has a PS3 menu and other things) and a couple hundred Japanese Saturn games. Missed out on a Light Blue Sega GameGear(which sells for $120-130 on Ebay) a normal one, Tails Adventure boxed($100+ on Ebay), Magic Knight Rayearth boxed(which I thought would be worth more but only $10 or so) and a TV Tuner($30 or so on Ebay) all for $75 because I was listening to some classic Hip-Hop ? ? ? ? but I made up for it with winning 1200 loose Super Famicom games I think

Edited by TheObscureGamer
  • Like 1

It seems to be a fairly standard price for cartridge games of any era. It's also a bit ridiculous for Atari games ($3 would really be better.) They might do OK with those, becuase even if they aren't rare, they're not the most common titles either- a local casual collector (if you've got one) would grab those. Except Pac-Man... that ain't going nowhere for that price!

Nothing video gaming related, but a good find nonetheless :

1192033967_retourVG.png.thumb.png.33c79610cc5d42e351d191aa50eca817.png

A nice 1960's photograph pouch (with fitting stickers of the era ? ) a Zenit E 35 mm camera, a light exposure meter (not working, but not in the usual way : it seems that the needles go too far as if the selenium cell was overloaded) a cute Agfacolor pocket camera, a Leitz rewinding motor (for the lazy bums that can't flip that lever...) a long distance lens from Pentacon, and a French made 6*4.5 folding camera (kiinda working, the shutter is lazy)