IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Definitely my biggest win of the year at the flea market, second (at least personally to me) to the Virtual Boy collection/setup back in late January.  Not much really to add, just happened to walk into a covered stand, seen the person before and never one to have games and the setup really wasn't there for it, except at the end of the table.  What caught my eye initially was the SP itself in a case, and a pile of randomness around, my mind didn't click to seeing the packaging at first.  I wondered how much, said $100, I was like really, they used the four letter word ebay, and I kind of glared and grumbled, and they backed off it to $75 so I took it. :)  In the image, everything to the left of Q-Bert was all that one table find.

The Q-Bert was 4, Sonic Spinball+orange dude, and the 3 beast wars TFs were $15, $2 for the TMNT 3DS game, and ROB there was amazingly both disgusting, and $5.  I had to strip it down entirely and clean it of dust, dirt, spider webs and pieces, yuk.  Glad I kept some b'day money from last March in my wallet.

IMG_2068.jpg

My daughter did nicely too.  Got 2 CIB DS kids games at $2/ea, and also a hello kitty 4 game DS snap case for $5 with 4 games in there, decent stuff like Cookin Mama 2 in there.  I gave her the GBA boxed game too as she loves those real games.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Found a used red ipod nano 2nd gen 4gb at goodwill for 5 bucks.

Holds a charge and came with 803 songs preloaded.  Wheel and everything works great.

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2019/08/goodwill-hunt-08-12-2019.html?m=1

Nice, what kind of songs are on it?

I love snooping on others via the things they leave behind digitally, I bought a Wii for £5 last month and had a fun time going through the saves trying to figure out what kind of person owned it before (a lot of Lego games and Fifa, probably a 8 year old boy)

36 minutes ago, zappi said:

I love snooping on others via the things they leave behind digitally, I bought a Wii for £5 last month and had a fun time going through the saves trying to figure out what kind of person owned it before (a lot of Lego games and Fifa, probably a 8 year old boy)

Too many to list.  But when I plug it into my windows laptop it says AUDREY'S IP.  So at least we knew it belonged to somebody named AUDREY.

19 hours ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

$10 for a PS1 dual analog, Super Wrestlemania, and Batman Forever.

Not bad considering I rarely do any thrifting~

0812192148.thumb.jpg.da3cea23f9dbf2188d4fc68fd92158cb.jpg

Really regret leaving behind a SNES bundle... Pretty good condition, 2 controllers, and hookups for $45. Maybe I should go back...

Some quality vidya gaems there... lol... nice score on the DS1 though.

3 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Some quality vidya gaems there... lol... nice score on the DS1 though.

Yeah I'm mostly acknowledging the games as a partial loss. They both work but aren't great. The DualShock was a pleasant surprise at least and a decent one of those is easily $10 on its own (if not more). Probably would have been better off ignoring the games and grabbing the SNES bundle. :lol:

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

No photos this run- hit up a thrift near work in-between shifts. Passed on a dark grey DS1 controller for $5 (tempted, but I have 2 with the rounded plugs that match my ps1 and I couldn't really justify it) and copies of Metroid & Ninja Gaiden for NES, also $5 each. I was amused in that I saw those in the case & thought "I already have them, but those are quality titles & I doubt they'll be here long". Poked around electronics in the back a bit, went to leave- and there was a guy at the case pulling those out. I was right! 

I did buy a $3 Vectorman cart at my more local thrift. Mega hits version just like my old copy, but I think my old one's a Majesco re-release? In any case, the pins on mine weren't great even though it worked fine, so I was glad to get a nicer copy. (As an aside, I now have a spare Vectorman if anyone's interested!)

On 8/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, Tanooki said:

Definitely my biggest win of the year at the flea market, second (at least personally to me) to the Virtual Boy collection/setup back in late January.  Not much really to add, just happened to walk into a covered stand, seen the person before and never one to have games and the setup really wasn't there for it, except at the end of the table.  What caught my eye initially was the SP itself in a case, and a pile of randomness around, my mind didn't click to seeing the packaging at first.  I wondered how much, said $100, I was like really, they used the four letter word ebay, and I kind of glared and grumbled, and they backed off it to $75 so I took it. :)  In the image, everything to the left of Q-Bert was all that one table find.

The Q-Bert was 4, Sonic Spinball+orange dude, and the 3 beast wars TFs were $15, $2 for the TMNT 3DS game, and ROB there was amazingly both disgusting, and $5.  I had to strip it down entirely and clean it of dust, dirt, spider webs and pieces, yuk.  Glad I kept some b'day money from last March in my wallet.

IMG_2068.jpg

My daughter did nicely too.  Got 2 CIB DS kids games at $2/ea, and also a hello kitty 4 game DS snap case for $5 with 4 games in there, decent stuff like Cookin Mama 2 in there.  I gave her the GBA boxed game too as she loves those real games.

If I found a rob for $5.00 covered in sh*****Tz. I would get it. Even if It means I had to take my shirt off to pick it up and put it in the trunk of my car.  Great find...

On 8/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, CatPix said:

Nothing video gaming related, but a good find nonetheless :

1192033967_retourVG.png.thumb.png.33c79610cc5d42e351d191aa50eca817.png

A nice 1960's photograph pouch (with fitting stickers of the era ? ) a Zenit E 35 mm camera, a light exposure meter (not working, but not in the usual way : it seems that the needles go too far as if the selenium cell was overloaded) a cute Agfacolor pocket camera, a Leitz rewinding motor (for the lazy bums that can't flip that lever...) a long distance lens from Pentacon, and a French made 6*4.5 folding camera (kiinda working, the shutter is lazy)

Nice camera hall. I had to force myself to pickup a cannon ae-1 collection from a thrift store today. I tell myself stick with Minolta only. Save me from breaking the bank. Though I have a a few other goodies film cameras. One of the most horrible things is a 620 film. Yes I know you can respool 120 and order new 620 film. But it is just easier to use a camera that takes 120 film. I have a ansco box camera to took  120 film. The picture quality was great and I was just playing around with it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ussexplorer said:

If I found a rob for $5.00 covered in sh*****Tz. I would get it. Even if It means I had to take my shirt off to pick it up and put it in the trunk of my car.  Great find...

I didn't know at the time a stripped to the bones one that wasn't presumably discolored was worth $50, but at $5 I wasn't going to complain either.  I just asked for another bag and kept it separated from the rest as it had all that questionable stuff and I didn't know if something would crawl out of it or not.  I ended up working on it in the house but on top of my modern cocktail arcade table so I could squish anything.

I'm tempted to try and partly piece it back together, nothing insane, but a couple hands and a battery door would be nice.  I have no way to functionally ever use the thing so going all in would be a waste with the 2 stands and the gyros.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:50 AM, Tanooki said:

I didn't know at the time a stripped to the bones one that wasn't presumably discolored was worth $50, but at $5 I wasn't going to complain either.  I just asked for another bag and kept it separated from the rest as it had all that questionable stuff and I didn't know if something would crawl out of it or not.  I ended up working on it in the house but on top of my modern cocktail arcade table so I could squish anything.

I'm tempted to try and partly piece it back together, nothing insane, but a couple hands and a battery door would be nice.  I have no way to functionally ever use the thing so going all in would be a waste with the 2 stands and the gyros.

You dont have a copy of gyromite?  Anyhow I have one also but broken too.  One screw is stuck and wont come out.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:54 AM, 0078265317 said:

You dont have a copy of gyromite?  Anyhow I have one also but broken too.  One screw is stuck and wont come out.

Nope when I rid myself of blurry CRT tech outside of what was necessary at later times (SharpNES TV, Neo Geo) it was of no use, and having the fc converter inside it, I sold the thing to someone who could use it one way or the other, same with Hogan's Alley and Duck Hunt too.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:54 AM, ussexplorer said:

Nice camera hall. I had to force myself to pickup a cannon ae-1 collection from a thrift store today. I tell myself stick with Minolta only. Save me from breaking the bank. Though I have a a few other goodies film cameras. One of the most horrible things is a 620 film. Yes I know you can respool 120 and order new 620 film. But it is just easier to use a camera that takes 120 film. I have a ansco box camera to took  120 film. The picture quality was great and I was just playing around with it.

Whatever you prefer :) Some people like to stick to a brand. Others wanna explore everything. As for myself, since I have one Minolta (X300) and all other 35mm cameras I have are M42, I'll try to stick to M42 for the time being (other cames have fixed lenses).

For 620 films it is possible to prepare your film by cutting and grinding the spool of the film. Older cameras (like the Lumière box I have) are theorically made for 620 only but the building marging is so wide that 120 film fits inside without modification.

But overall indeed using 120 mm cameras is faster ;)

I don't get out to many yard sales anymore but I took my boys camping this week and stopped at a few on our way home. I didn't find much except these:

The 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books ($1 each) are in amazing condition and are all from the 1982 printing. 

Mario Party 7 ($1) is missing the booklet and the disc is a bit scratched up but I cleaned it and it works perfectly. The kids really enjoyed it.

The black DS Lite ($5) did not have a charger but that is okay as I have many. The screens are in perfect condition, no scratches or blemishes.

It also came with the GBA Pokémon Fire Red and a little something called 'CycloDS Evolution'. I had to look it up. Apparently it allows you to play downloaded .NDS ROMS on the MicroSD card (it has one at 8GB). I have not tried it yet as I am still charging the DS but I will try it soon and let you know if there were any games on it and if it works.

(not pictured) a huge box of 'GeoTrax' with working engines for $10. The kids love GeoTrax.

IMG_0611.JPG

• Like 3

I stopped at the local thrift store to check on the wireless network routers they had a plethora of. I needed something with more bandwidth than the DSL modem provided and I didn't want to drop a ton of cash. When I arrived I spied the following and purchased, save one):

N64 with power and hook ups $20 (which was a "catch and release" for me; I did not buy it but held it for a whike)

2 N64 controllers: red and grey with sticks that need attention: $3.50 each (going to get adapters for emulation)

NES Life Force loose: $2.99

NES Contra loose: $2.99

I got one of the wifi routers they had: a Linksys EA6500 for $35, which works great so far.

The controllers, as I mentioned, will probably get adapters for the Wii for Virtual Console. However, I do find it hard to play Super Mario 64 on the Wii as it doesn't sound right. With flash carts more readily available, I might dip my toes back into those 64 bit waters.

5 hours ago, Grig said:

I don't get out to many yard sales anymore but I took my boys camping this week and stopped at a few on our way home. I didn't find much except these:

The 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books ($1 each) are in amazing condition and are all from the 1982 printing. 

Mario Party 7 ($1) is missing the booklet and the disc is a bit scratched up but I cleaned it and it works perfectly. The kids really enjoyed it.

The black DS Lite ($5) did not have a charger but that is okay as I have many. The screens are in perfect condition, no scratches or blemishes.

It also came with the GBA Pokémon Fire Red and a little something called 'CycloDS Evolution'. I had to look it up. Apparently it allows you to play downloaded .NDS ROMS on the MicroSD card (it has one at 8GB). I have not tried it yet as I am still charging the DS but I will try it soon and let you know if there were any games on it and if it works.

(not pictured) a huge box of 'GeoTrax' with working engines for $10. The kids love GeoTrax.

Wow original run CYOA games, amazing.  I've got a couple of them and they're a nice relaxing flashback and I'm betting those kids of yours should enjoy them.  Killer deal on the DS.  That Cyclo you have yeah it runs basically every single DS game whatever region you throw at it on that card.  Just dump whatever DS games you want on there and pick them from your menu and play.  My only concern I'd have is that you should read up, some of them (mostly R4s) were made with a timebomb to stop working after a time to sell new ones which was a scumbag tactic.  If it has it though, no worries, there are workarounds and I know GBATEMP.COM forums have that written up in some how to postings.  Either way that's the same DSL I got like 6mo back for about the same price too and they're fun to have around.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Wow original run CYOA games, amazing.  I've got a couple of them and they're a nice relaxing flashback and I'm betting those kids of yours should enjoy them.  Killer deal on the DS.  That Cyclo you have yeah it runs basically every single DS game whatever region you throw at it on that card.  Just dump whatever DS games you want on there and pick them from your menu and play.  My only concern I'd have is that you should read up, some of them (mostly R4s) were made with a timebomb to stop working after a time to sell new ones which was a scumbag tactic.  If it has it though, no worries, there are workarounds and I know GBATEMP.COM forums have that written up in some how to postings.  Either way that's the same DSL I got like 6mo back for about the same price too and they're fun to have around.

Yeah my boys really enjoy the CYOA books. We have some CYOA D&D and sci-fi books they enjoyed as well. The DS Lite works perfectly, took the charge and played everything we threw at it. The Cyclo is updated to version 1.15 and we haven't seen a time bomb yet. It seems to work great. It has probably about 50 to 60 DS games on the 8GB SD mini card and they are mostly RPG games like FF and Dragon Quest but there are some good games for the younger kiddos as well like Nintendogs (all versions LOL), and it even has Mario Kart DS. My wife and 15 YO daughter are happy about the RPG games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grig said:

Yeah my boys really enjoy the CYOA books. We have some CYOA D&D and sci-fi books they enjoyed as well. The DS Lite works perfectly, took the charge and played everything we threw at it. The Cyclo is updated to version 1.15 and we haven't seen a time bomb yet. It seems to work great. It has probably about 50 to 60 DS games on the 8GB SD mini card and they are mostly RPG games like FF and Dragon Quest but there are some good games for the younger kiddos as well like Nintendogs (all versions LOL), and it even has Mario Kart DS. My wife and 15 YO daughter are happy about the RPG games.

I like the sound of that.  I'm trying to get my daughter to care.  I've got a couple of the original run books I found and then a pair of hardcover recent reprints I handed to her but she is being stubborn about reading.  Funny you mentioned D&D, a year ago or two I came into possession of a lot of those TSR D&D style Adventure books, basically COYA for adults with a lite D&D rule set but without the need for pencils and dice.

You did well then definitely with that Cyclo as you'd know if it had the problem because they just refuse to work unless you reset your system clock year before I believe 2018 (or 2016) was the cutoff and mainly it was R4s that did it. I only know this, because like you I found that black DSLite months ago.  My money just came with 2 common games and the power supply for it, but it was worth it.  Ever since, a select few exceptions aside, I've been just only picking games up locally as they appear and have a nice little selection of gems so far because of it which is fun.  DS is a strange one, it's a weird valley between being a N64 on the go or a really well powered 2D handheld beast, a GBA on steroids basically.  Since you have the kit, it might be worth looking into emulators as many that ran great on GBA are even better on DS and in some cases the stuff that wouldn't like 16bit consoles do on there.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:36 AM, zappi said:

Not a thrift find but an ebay purchase, I got a psp awhile back, the model with component out with a bundle of games and the add on camera. Searching through the files I found what was obviously the previous owner testing out the camera for the first time and going round the house with it. Pretty sure it's a Christmas present too because there was a tree and tired worn out parents who couldn't care less! 

Feeling pretty nice about this one.  I was away part of the weekend and burned out after so no time to really poke about.  Half Price was having a 20% off sale, also had $20 and change in credit.  Out the door all here was like $24.  GBP I already had one, but my suspicions as nearly perfect as mine was this one actually was somehow an upgrade mostly between all the pieces so I'm happy.  And I had no idea about classic Gamera on blu ray, wow, and there's a 2nd volume I'll have to track down too.  The PC game, sealed, kind of surprised me on that one.

sept2finds.JPG

Nice little score today at a local thrift store. They had a Wii with a few games for $30 but I don't need that. They had a few Wii games I did not have (all complete and no scratches) so I picked up these five for $1 each and some great old comic books (actual books of comics) for .50 each:

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

• Like 2