IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

14 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

The wife and I hit up what's called "Maxwell Street Days", a flea market held in Cedarburg, Wi at the Ozaukee County fairgrounds. It's mainly a "antique" type thing where vendors charge top dollar for collectible items. One dude was selling common 2600 games like ET loose for $15. Another had a beat up loose copy of Super Mario Land for $17.50...same price as his nice loose copy.

Only thing I bought was a gem from my childhood: a Milton Bradley Star Bird space ship. It's a little dinged up with a broken fighter/wing and some missing pieces but the sound effects still work. It has an electronic hover sound that changes pitch if you go up (goes higher) or down (goes lower). Even the front twin cannons flash and make noise.

Seeing how ridiculous the prices are online for these in worse shape, the $10 I paid was well worth it.

20191006_154507.jpg

I loved the Star Bird as a kid!

Bought a couple thousand old Magic cards from a yard sale for $5 this summer that I finally decided to go through.  They had looked to have been picked through as there were VERY few "Gold" rare cards.  However, there were some older cards from before they designated rares with a gold colored icon and I was thrilled to find these two guys among the commons!

IMG_3518.JPG

• Like 2

Ugly stack of games from the last few weeks of thrifting + gamestop 4 for $10 which is basically thrift prices, even better than some thrifts these days. Got some actual atari games in the mix as well as the missing game in the burger king trilogy, and Rabbids Go Home which intrigued me back when it came out.

IMG_20191012_131656.thumb.jpg.49588f2ce155de040731ee2c3367ef2a.jpg

• Like 1

20191012_145632.thumb.jpg.e265b58cc18cc12f4ec55df225219f80.jpg

Found this 386 laptop today but they wanted $50 for it so I passed on it. If it was $10-20 I would have grabbed it. It just had too many problems for me to buy it at $50. The hard drive was busted (could boot from floppy but there was none in the drive).  The CMOS battery was also dead (but that's expected).

On 10/10/2019 at 3:34 PM, Fushek said:

Bought a couple thousand old Magic cards from a yard sale for $5 this summer that I finally decided to go through.  They had looked to have been picked through as there were VERY few "Gold" rare cards.  However, there were some older cards from before they designated rares with a gold colored icon and I was thrilled to find these two guys among the commons!

IMG_3518.JPG

My son is into these, and he verified that you got a real steal with these (I know squat about magic the gathering).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

20191012_145632.thumb.jpg.e265b58cc18cc12f4ec55df225219f80.jpg

Found this 386 laptop today but they wanted $50 for it so I passed on it. If it was $10-20 I would have grabbed it. It just had too many problems for me to buy it at $50. The hard drive was busted (could boot from floppy but there was none in the drive).  The CMOS battery was also dead (but that's expected).

You did not try bargaining?

Sad that 386 will head to the compactor at some point and it could be saved but $50 is an insult given the broken things known and possibly more unknown to it too.  $50 is not right for basically a parts machine.

I think the thrifts/second hand around my area have dried up, not sure what's happening but i've not had anything truly noteworthy since like early summer or earlier which is strange.  I mean I'll find a basic item like a cheap DS or PC game (DOS/Win9x era), or maybe a cheap audio disc but that's about it which is sad.

Just as a crack on the second hand around here yesterday goodwill has a (to me) major pick up for the first time in like 4+ months.  I thought it was another dud game, but bumped into an odd parking lot of fresh carts loaded with stuff in an odd place and under some random crap I found a PS3 Slim 250GB model, all the wires for it including USB, the ds3 controller, and also a sixaxis for just $20.  I figured if it was shot I could return it as it was pretty dusty.

It works, just finished watching ghostbusters on blu ray to test the drive.  I've purged the old data, set my PSN acct on there I used in the PS3/PSP era so I can grab my goodies again too.  I'm thrilled, not really looking at a library again but my old blu-ray player ate it a couple months back and I was using my laptop for movies which sucked.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Just as a crack on the second hand around here yesterday goodwill has a (to me) major pick up for the first time in like 4+ months.  I thought it was another dud game, but bumped into an odd parking lot of fresh carts loaded with stuff in an odd place and under some random crap I found a PS3 Slim 250GB model, all the wires for it including USB, the ds3 controller, and also a sixaxis for just $20.  I figured if it was shot I could return it as it was pretty dusty.

It works, just finished watching ghostbusters on blu ray to test the drive.  I've purged the old data, set my PSN acct on there I used in the PS3/PSP era so I can grab my goodies again too.  I'm thrilled, not really looking at a library again but my old blu-ray player ate it a couple months back and I was using my laptop for movies which sucked.

Nice find.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 7:15 PM, 0078265317 said:

Nice find.

No doubt blew my mind when I realized it was entirely in great shape too.  So the day after I hit a double score so I'm probably screwed on finds for a bit perhaps.  I went out to get a few things to play with it and when I did I also nabbed CIB North & South NES for just $25, and grabbed for that PS3 the God of War Saga set, Uncharted 1-3, and also Dragon's Crown too.  I gave up on PS3 a bit before the PS4 came out buying new at least, so tehre are things I missed like that Odin Sphere remaster.

northsouthnescomplete.jpg

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I've had a pickup of any kind on here. The wife was off doing her own thing today, so I went to my favorite booth the local flea market and snagged some 2600 titles I didn't have:

aMo316Xl.jpg

I have been looking for Mega Force for a while, but they also had these uncommon games that I didn't have. The guy at the booth knows I like the old stuff, so he scooped out the Kid's Controller to go with Alpha Beam. Figured my little nephew might have fun with that one the next time he comes to visit! Paid $20 for all of it.

• Like 3

Went to Savers on lunch today to buy a Halloween costume wig, and strolled by the media section to find these:
NQMJDxNl.jpg

$5.99 is a lot to pay for Halo 2, but it's CIB with all the inserts and I don't have any OG Xbox games with the Microsoft Company Store sticker slapped on there yet, so that's kinda cool! Picross DS is sort of scarce, and I haven't seen a complete copy in years, so I snagged that too.

• Like 1

Oh, hey!

This is page 666!

This isn't exactly a "thrift find", but one of my friends wanted to sell a Sears Tele-Games 4 switch that he found in his attic. The silver faceplate was yellowed(goldened?), but still. It came with 12 games, including some that I didn't have, most of them with manuals and the Frogger cart came with the box. Oh, and the 2600 came with its manual too. It came with 2 joysticks and a star raiders video touch pad with the overlay. All this for $45(I couldn't convince him to sell it for $35)

LOL, yeah I noticed the 666 page number.  I have a Sears 2600 too...the wood grain on telegames versions is a different type of fake wood than on the Atari version.  I sort of like the silver trim.  The golden tarnished plate on yours can be marketed as a "feature".  Perhaps it was gold plated by father time.

Hopefully another post will move us past this devil page!  :evil:

SO CLOSE...

Went to Goodwill the other day and saw two WICO sticks. One of the employees took them out for my inspection and they looked GREAT. Unfortunately, there was no price on either, so I could not purchase them. The employee told me she would get them priced and returned to the case by the next morning. So I showed up when the store opened the next day, and no WICO's...

I did manage to find a nice TV for my PiZero, that also has composite so I can use it with my Ti-99/4A. Added bonus, it has an integral DVD player for my Godzilla/Gamera/Ultraman viewing pleasure.

Edited by ironnerd
  • Like 1

This happened a while ago, but I just now got around to taking pictures.  The lady who sold me the collection of Commodore, Intellivision and other bits called me back again.  She had found her husband's C-64, and a few other bits that hadn't made it into the original batch.  So now I have...

2019-09-07-01.thumb.jpg.1f7326929fb20c4c458204a05da5b17d.jpg

...the computer to complete the collection!  I haven't tested it yet, but hopefully I have another sturdy Commodore to take to shows and such.

And then there were these bits that meshed nicely with what she had already sold me.

2019-09-07-02.thumb.jpg.e4a87b0eafde2420679fb6815b3b1780.jpg

Now I can boast complete-in-box copies of all four games!

And then there was this little title...

2019-09-07-03.thumb.jpg.87fe8c8b5dc38e67e267202089020b60.jpg

That's right!  All you need is a Commodore 64 to become the next Bond villain!  Oh, and a cat, of course.

• Like 2

That's definitely not terrible for $5.  It plays ok, not awesome, but if you're not like memorizing the boards/ghosts on there it'll be fun enough, and even if not, $5 for a wicked Christmas tree ornament either way.  I still have my 3in1(marked as 2 in 1) Ms Pac/Galaga (Digdug hidden) on my desk here.  It looks 50/50 like those anniversary arcade cabinets from a decade+ ago.

A few days back I had some minor luck I got Astro Boy GBA for $5, paid the same for Killer Instinct and Earthwork Jim on GBC and both with the manuals so it was a big savings I like. :D

That was at HBP and yesterday they also had a sale going for movies just at that location for 50% off movies, so I got that new Godzilla movie for $6 and I can't wait to get the 2 hours to watch it.  Also yesterday got Mech Warrior 4 and one addon for $4 for PC and early week found this light blue dsi and charger for $5.  It has a big scratch on the touch panel, so it needs a new lens/reshell, never done that so I have to look into it.