IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Hit up a Savers this morning and picked up a couple Wii games I didn't have (both complete and mint) and someones POG Slammer collection. Yup, it's 2019, and I bought POGS.

yWz79G3l.jpg

obpC6Tal.jpg

The POG case is a lot like those old NES rental cases from back in the day. Same size externally, but with a hang tag and some special holder slots inside.

Paid less than $10 for the lot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silverfleet said:

Hit up a Savers this morning and picked up a couple Wii games I didn't have (both complete and mint) and someones POG Slammer collection. Yup, it's 2019, and I bought POGS.

yWz79G3l.jpg

obpC6Tal.jpg

The POG case is a lot like those old NES rental cases from back in the day. Same size externally, but with a hang tag and some special holder slots inside.

Paid less than $10 for the lot.

I haven't seen a Pog since like 1995... lol

11 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I haven't seen a Pog since like 1995... lol

Ha, neither have I! Someone mentioned them recently in a FB group and they were on my mind. And then these showed up, so for $2 I had to snag them. I still have my old ones somewhere in my basement, along with my much-coveted Beavis and Butthead prismatic slammer. ?

On 8/15/2019 at 10:50 PM, ussexplorer said:

If I found a rob for $5.00 covered in sh*****Tz. I would get it. Even if It means I had to take my shirt off to pick it up and put it in the trunk of my car.  Great find...

Funny story... I found my original one.... It was dusty as hell, and when I was about to wipe it down I thought, it looks cool and classic with the dust.

It sits on my shelf full of dust.. 

bkacYnXl.jpg

Local nerd store that I hit up sometimes sells vinyl, comics, and games. Snagged Tutankham and Darius Twin, which were both on my must-have list. Especially pumped to have Darius Twin to go with my copy of Super Nova on the SNES; I love the Darius games! And as a bonus, they had two 80's Metal classics on the $1.99 cassette rack! Really excited to have that copy of Dokken's Back for the Attack, which was the first cassette I ever bought back when I was 5 in 1987!

• Like 3

I just got a Model 2 Genesis(my first Sega console, I used to absolutely HATE Sega for no particular reason) at a Goodwill near the bad side of Los Angeles for $5.

Came with no cables or games, but hey, $5.

My computer is refusing to download the photo, but it was in pretty good shape.

• Like 2

Been awhile but had a little second hand luck finally today.  $24 for Yoshi's Crafted World and it's all there like new, $2 for My Japanese Coach CIB for DS at goodwill too.  Non-game, clearanced at 1.50/ea got all 5 of the manga Angelic Layer, the wiki plot description looked fun kind of in a way like Custom Robo.

I found two PS2 slims, 6 controllers (one wireless), 4 or 5 memory cards and about 80 games for $100 (only about 15 sports games), then I found Final Fantasy X-2 for $1 at another yard sale.

Both PS2 slims work great and the controllers are in good condition and work good as well. Some of the discs are a bit scratched up but they still work.

• Like 1

Found a SNES bundle along with a few other things at a local Salvation Army this weekend, I really only wanted the Controller (the one I have is the later variant), and Mystical Ninja and Mario Kart, but when I took it home I realized this console wasn't yellow. I learned about SNES variants, the original motherboard vs. 1CHIP systems, and that basically the newer, non-yellow SNES's have slightly better picture at the cost of slight video oddities with a handful of older games. Guess I'll be swapping this one out from my old yellow SNES.

EJhRHGIWsAExPVO.jpg

Edited by FireStar
clarify swap
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, FireStar said:

Found a SNES bundle along with a few other things at a local Salvation Army this weekend, I really only wanted the Controller (the one I have is the later variant), and Mystical Ninja and Mario Kart, but when I took it home I realized this console wasn't yellow. I learned about SNES variants, the original motherboard vs. 1CHIP systems, and that basically the newer, non-yellow SNES's have slightly better picture at the cost of slight video oddities with a handful of older games. Guess I'll be swapping this one out from my old yellow SNES.

Yeah you got it.  The 1CHIP has a few games that may, yet not 100% certainly could act a bit strange on a handful of titles.  Super Ghouls n Ghosts also Pocky & Rocky supposedly get some weird graphics warping but my games never showed this and I have one that came from a DK Super Set.  Even the 1CHIP can yellow, just not horribly as much as the others before them from what I've seen.  The cleanness of the graphics compared to other models is no joke and it's obvious, especially as the quality of the TV you jack into goes up.  You should definitely swap it out.  I was going to say $70 was steep for thrift (and kind of really is) but then I saw the list of games there and you did quite nicely.

Also if you're into Sega PC games from that period I might have something you'd be interested in that's new.

Edited by Tanooki

MOAR TAPE!!

2019-11-09-3.thumb.jpg.48adf8560f8cef9927c6dd57e7731c4f.jpg

I'm still focusing my cassette collection on each artist's biggest '80s release, which is why I was surprised to find these eight I didn't already have, out of a bin that had only about twenty tapes altogether.  In fact, I could have added a 9th in MC Hammer's Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em, but that came out in 1990.  This collection's big enough already!

Also...

2019-11-16.thumb.jpg.677fbdb3f17bf118a930c009ed56fc6f.jpg

Okay, put away the torches and pitchforks.  These didn't actually come from a thrift store.  These were some of my spoils from the Houston Arcade Expo swap meet this year, along with a purchase from our own Rowsdower70, the Game Czar.  This starts my TI 99/4A collection, and is the first game added to my Vectrex collection since actually getting a Vectrex, many years ago.

There were other spoils, and they'll be shown once I get around to bloggifying my time at the Expo.

• Like 2

I have 69 68 tapes in the '80s collection.  I have a few more as placeholders until I get the same albums on vinyl or CD.  Sadly I don't have room to really show them off, but I have 50 of them stashed in a nice Napa Valley case, and a while back I took a picture of all but the latest gets nicely arranged.  I've shown it here before, but my search skills are failing, so hopefully the Powers That Be will forgive the repost...

2017-08-05-4.thumb.jpg.28763a163061475e02df1b9c8a877b56.jpg

And now I see I actually did have Huey Lewis's Sports already.  Guess that makes it 68... dude.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 4:24 PM, Tanooki said:

Yeah you got it.  The 1CHIP has a few games that may, yet not 100% certainly could act a bit strange on a handful of titles.  Super Ghouls n Ghosts also Pocky & Rocky supposedly get some weird graphics warping but my games never showed this and I have one that came from a DK Super Set.  Even the 1CHIP can yellow, just not horribly as much as the others before them from what I've seen.  The cleanness of the graphics compared to other models is no joke and it's obvious, especially as the quality of the TV you jack into goes up.  You should definitely swap it out.  I was going to say $70 was steep for thrift (and kind of really is) but then I saw the list of games there and you did quite nicely.

Also if you're into Sega PC games from that period I might have something you'd be interested in that's new.

I got garfield more because of how much fun of him gets made on the internet these days, plus slight nostalgia for the genesis version. Older PC games aren't quite my thing to collect much of, since they aren't just "pop in and play" especially the older you get. Games that have modern source ports like DOOM on the other hand are still nice to have.

• Like 1

Sega Genesis Model 1 High Definition Graphics.  Found this week at a local thrift for $3.99, couldn't pass it up.  It had the mounting plate for Sega CD attached.  Rough condition, but it powered right up to play some Road Rash.  On/off switch is flakey and feels semi-broken.  A little TLC inside and out on this one will be a must.

GenesisM1hdg9x7.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, FireStar said:

I got garfield more because of how much fun of him gets made on the internet these days, plus slight nostalgia for the genesis version. Older PC games aren't quite my thing to collect much of, since they aren't just "pop in and play" especially the older you get. Games that have modern source ports like DOOM on the other hand are still nice to have.

I guess I can understand that to a pint, but depending on the period, you're kind of off the mark on older they get for ease of play.  16bit Windows games/installers are the only problem really as modern OS's will spit them out, but if a game is 32bit or newer unless it has some real problems just work, so I do collect them, usually the workable 32bit and the DOS stuff since I can get them working in under a minute using DOSbox with an frontend app.  I only brought the game thing up because I have a Sega PC sealed game of Last Bronx lying around.

40 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I guess I can understand that to a pint, but depending on the period, you're kind of off the mark on older they get for ease of play.  16bit Windows games/installers are the only problem really as modern OS's will spit them out, but if a game is 32bit or newer unless it has some real problems just work, so I do collect them, usually the workable 32bit and the DOS stuff since I can get them working in under a minute using DOSbox with an frontend app.  I only brought the game thing up because I have a Sega PC sealed game of Last Bronx lying around.

There's a lot I think I understand after a pint or three

They-come-in-pints.jpg.712b38976d9818e05682ff0a24f10fa0.jpg

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2019 at 7:59 PM, RodLightning said:

Sega Genesis Model 1 High Definition Graphics.  Found this week at a local thrift for $3.99, couldn't pass it up.  It had the mounting plate for Sega CD attached.  Rough condition, but it powered right up to play some Road Rash.  On/off switch is flakey and feels semi-broken.  A little TLC inside and out on this one will be a must.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68

GenesisM1hdg9x7.jpg

Nice

P1050205-XLR-tester.thumb.jpg.0253aaedaef04f9c2dd0ba9d7442ef3d.jpg

A few weeks ago I found this. It's a network cable tester. This particular model is no longer sold, but was probably worth about $120-$200 when new a few years ago. With a short piece of shielded Ethernet cable, and a couple of salvaged XLR connectors, today I made the XLR testing adapters you can see attached to it.

61Nb5sitpnL._SX466_.jpg

And yesterday I found a "Goldtouch" keypad (from a company in the Austin area, even) I could tell it was no cheapie ten-buck keypad because it had a hub built in. When I got home, I found out that it was made with Cherry Brown key switches! Looks like they go for ~$63 new. I'm gonna use it with my Logitech G610 (which also has Cherry Browns) as a left-hand keypad.

• Like 1

Spent around $18 today, got a copy in excellent shape (loose on both items) of Zelda Minish Cap and the licensed Nintendo made Gameboy Pocket AC adapter (MGB-005).  I've come across Zelda a few times before but I don't recall ever seeing that power plug before other than at retail so long ago.  Even when I decided I wanted ac adapters for my various GB systems, I had to import from Japan to get the Pocket one that came also with the rechargeable battery pack with it (MGB-003).

I've got a site that documents every piece of US/JP region hardware/accessories model numbers and so on with Nintendo product out of Japan, kind of curious if that plug would be friendly to the GB Light and Color.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:33 PM, Tanooki said:

Spent around $18 today, got a copy in excellent shape (loose on both items) of Zelda Minish Cap and the licensed Nintendo made Gameboy Pocket AC adapter (MGB-005).  I've come across Zelda a few times before but I don't recall ever seeing that power plug before other than at retail so long ago.  

I would love to get a legit loose Minish Cap for that. I technically own it, but my copy is sealed & at this point I feel weird opening it. I'd love to get a copy I can play (and maybe sell mine for a profit ;p)

2 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

I would love to get a legit loose Minish Cap for that. I technically own it, but my copy is sealed & at this point I feel weird opening it. I'd love to get a copy I can play (and maybe sell mine for a profit ;p)

I can understand that.  I feel weird having the 2 sealed games I do, but I do have secondary copies so it's less bad.  It's just that while one is worth far less than the other (yellow metroid), a sealed good shape pokemon red is no joke.  I keep them as art pieces in shadowboxes.

• Like 1