IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

On 11/25/2019 at 6:29 PM, 0078265317 said:

Found a pair of these at goodwill for 7 bucks.  But did not realize they are only 10 watts.

s-l400.jpg

10-watt speakers are no slouch for computer speakers.  They won't rattle the house but they'll give you a good performance there on your desktop.  I still use a pair of Yamaha 10-watt speakers from the '90s for my computer speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just added this one to the list of things you can be thankful that national chain stores with their internal listings don't leave room for variants.  This here is Doom for the PS1 in a non-long box, but also not greatest hits.  Currently there's one sold copy in the history on ebay, and no active, it rarely turns up and lists in the top 4 most difficult non-greatest hits black label games on the system along with MK3.  Sale today was 20% off so, that was a $16 pick up for keeps! (My old copy sits under it, won't be keeping that now.)

IMG_2717.JPG

• Like 2

A local facebook marketplace post has various older computer equipment with what looked like a coco 1. I asked how much and he said $20 so i said sure. He posted close up pics and it turned out to be a kind of rare TRS-80 Videotex which was a terminal for accessing CompuServe or the Dow, things like that.

20191211_191524.jpg

20191211_191531.jpg

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

A local facebook marketplace post has various older computer equipment with what looked like a coco 1. I asked how much and he said $20 so i said sure. He posted close up pics and it turned out to be a kind of rare TRS-80 Videotex which was a terminal for accessing CompuServe or the Dow, things like that.

20191211_191524.jpg

20191211_191531.jpg

That's pretty cool.  Rat Shack made a bunch of variants of the CoCo1, but this is one I hadn't seen before.  Does it boot straight to the Videotex screen?  Can you get to the normal BASIC screen?

Edited by krslam

51 minutes ago, krslam said:

That's pretty cool.  Rat Shack made a bunch of variants of the CoCo1, but this is one I hadn't seen before.  Does it boot straight to the Videotex screen?  Can you get to the normal BASIC screen?

Nope right to that screen. It's a nice collector's piece but not functional to a gamer like me

On 12/11/2019 at 7:24 PM, AtariLeaf said:

Yep, the Videotex is kind of rare. I think basically instead of having BASIC in ROM, they put in the contents of the Videotex cartridge. That would mean it's 300 baud only, as there is no UART, so it uses the horizontal interrupt as a 25x clock for 300 baud. The interrupt takes up a good chunk of CPU time; I once rigged up that driver to work with BASIC, old school BBS style, and it really lagged things.

Not exactly a thrift find, but I still got a few items for pretty cheap at my local video game store.

CIB Sega Genesis Mortal Kombat, CIB Virtua Racing, 4 MTG cards(1998 Pacifism, 1998 Rejuvenate, 2003 Guilty Consience, and 2007 Quiet Disrepair) all for $20. Not the worst prices.

Found two ingot style power supplies together at a local thrift.  I never expected to see two of these potentially destructive epoxy blocks together and for two different classic computers!  Adding to the mystery, the Atari ingot sports a "Recoton" label, with otherwise correct pinouts.  Extra pins were missing from the DIN, but a couple of power and ground pins were present.  At $2.99 each, I passed on the Recoton and grabbed the C64 with plans to bypass 5 volts and use the 9vac line.

two_ingots.jpg

2 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Is that 360 kinect or one kinect?

360. I think I need adapter to use with my 360(face plate model).

I think this is the in-between one with single connector for the last models of the 360.

Savers / Unique usually have at least one every other time I've been there lately. And under $10.

I was at one last night that had 4 Kinects sitting in a pile behind the counter.