IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I feel no reason to take a pic as it's fairly basic, but cool though, yet I did find some fun stuff at the half price the other night and a $2 game find at a goodwill too. The game, Diablo expansion Hellfire which I've always hoped I'd bump into.  But the book finds pleased me more, probably most here don't follow it much but decades ago TSR when D&D was really picking up started this book series called Endless Quest and they ran over 30 of them before it stopped (the first time.)  I was able to come across 4 more books to add to maybe a dozen I had already.  I got 5 (Under Dragon's Wing) and 6 (Dragons Ransom) for $5 ea, but then I avoided these two others at 15, but they have a sale this weekend taking off some so I went back and grabbed  18(King's Quest) and 30 (The Fireseed) and they really are great books.  They're basically books for older teens/adults D&D style (for most) and they're done in a choose your own adventure style but a bit more detailed, just not enough to need a character card or some dice.  A couple of them have been made free to get and have been typed up and stuffed online.

• Like 1

I found me a pretty darn nice SNES lot today! System with AC & RF, and 2 controllers. It's all pretty grungy and the power port needs to be replaced- I haven't had a chance to clean or test any of it.

IMG_0005.thumb.JPG.3521be65b708d9125144099bec4b7601.JPG

The real find was the included games:

IMG_0007.thumb.JPG.f03a29763ba6b8aa673b31c424687693.JPG

Haven't tested these yet either, but it's a darn good selection for a thrift store lot. The cost for everything? $30. That copy of New Horizons (if it works) covers the lot by itself! A nice birthday surprise for me!

(If anyone might be wondering, I only intend to keep New Horizons and Joe & Mac. The rest will be up for sale once I clean it up & test it.)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

I found me a pretty darn nice SNES lot today! System with AC & RF, and 2 controllers. It's all pretty grungy and the power port needs to be replaced- I haven't had a chance to clean or test any of it.

The real find was the included games:

Haven't tested these yet either, but it's a darn good selection for a thrift store lot. The cost for everything? $30. That copy of New Horizons (if it works) covers the lot by itself! A nice birthday surprise for me!

(If anyone might be wondering, I only intend to keep New Horizons and Joe & Mac. The rest will be up for sale once I clean it up & test it.)

If you end up selling the SNES, let me know if the serial # starts with UN3********* or preferably, UN31********.

I've been looking for a one chip SNES for my RGB stuff and would interested in buying it.

Thanks

Did my first bit of thrifting this year looking for kitchen things and found these games instead. Surprised to find a good GC game, I remember wanting to check out Killer7 back when I was littler but it was out of my ESRB rating range then. The udraw only has the tablet but I already have the game so its ok.

ENd4QHYWsAA25GN.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, FireStar said:

Did my first bit of thrifting this year looking for kitchen things and found these games instead. Surprised to find a good GC game, I remember wanting to check out Killer7 back when I was littler but it was out of my ESRB rating range then. The udraw only has the tablet but I already have the game so its ok.

ENd4QHYWsAA25GN.jpg

What's that USB cable? It looks like a game port to USB adapter but IDK.

Today what's usually a tree stump of a goodwill I commonly hit when my kid is in school I happened by and luck happened and it has been many months.  Just under $12 out the door and some was needing testing/cleaning at home to confirm working in good order too.  First was a deceptive Lego Avengers 3DS case, but it has Pokemon Ultra Moon in there for $2.  Then in a shopping cart of many I saw a Bose Wave Music System (CD version of wave radio v1) for $6 and at least it lit up, and then I found this stylophone repop from the original maker of their first device for $2 and it was grubby.

Ultimately all worked, the Bose I thought I got my CD stuck in as I have a remote for another (also goodwill found) that lacks that, but it all was good (and unplug/replug popped the disc-whew!) so I'll need to order a remote ($15~) for it but it's like a $80-100 cd-radio.  And then the instrument after a good bit of cleaning looks like nearly new and works fantastic, amazing little synthesizer.

22 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

What's that USB cable? It looks like a game port to USB adapter but IDK.

The adapter is a Displayport to DVI one, I might use it for my slim dell optiplex since it only has displayport and vga outputs.

Also, for the 1CHIP snes I found, I determined it was by connecting it and my old snes to my capture card and comparing screenshots of scenes with white text, not quite an applicable test for everyone though.

Edited by FireStar

4 hours ago, FireStar said:

The adapter is a Displayport to DVI one, I might use it for my slim dell optiplex since it only has displayport and vga outputs.

Also, for the 1CHIP snes I found, I determined it was by connecting it and my old snes to my capture card and comparing screenshots of scenes with white text, not quite an applicable test for everyone though.

Oh that's a lot more boring... I just use a display port to DVI adapter for my PC since my GPU only has display port and HDMI outs... If the PC has a dedicated GPU it would not be good to use a USB adapter because I don't think it would be processed by the GPU.

22 hours ago, cybercylon said:

I thought the only way to really tell if your SNES is 1 chip was to open up the console and take the metal shielding off.

You can get about 90% certain. But to be 100%, crack 'er open.

https://www.retrorgb.com/1chipsnes.htm

13 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

I think JRs are also 1 chip.

Yes, they are. I've got one. But I like the clunky north American case with eject.

Most people can tell the difference between s-video and RGB. But most would be hard pressed to see a worth-while difference between the 1 and 2 chip.

I did notice a little less "blur" when I upgraded to my Jr.

I like seeing the non-sales random stories, so here's one. I found this today earlier ago and it was DOA at home. The battery box was fairly rusty in places, no power originally, after the speaker was weak and scratchy/poppy too but the screen was ok. Top sticker gone, sides detached somewhat and front too, and this is an odd variant I've never seen but the bezel inside is a sticker and it's not 100%.

Gutted the thing, spent a lot of time with vinegar, magic eraser, alcohol and papertowels and q-tips. Did the minimum to test and it blinked on but suffering. So I removed removed the battery connectors and cleaned it up and removed the rust. Re-set them in place, then detached the wiring inside and re-soldered them, including a spot to each battery connector post. At this point it came to life and proper with clean and clear audio. I buttoned the thing up, and made an attempt on the stickers, and they didn't behave, so I removed them slowly, flattened them, and re-attached the with new glue and there's the result.

I already owned one, the right one I've had probably a decade, the powered one is using my originals perma power pak. Notice that sticker bezel vs mine which is paint into the plastic? I'd love to fix that, but no one makes that.

Cost? $3 plus under 2hours of my time. Well worth it. Also found an untestable WiiU black main gamepad too for $5, that I'll have to figure out next.  Also found a sealed Green Box of Cards Against Humanity for $5 too, the name sounded familiar so I grabbed it, yet to look it up what it is exactly.

IMG_2949.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Also found a sealed Green Box of Cards Against Humanity for $5 too, the name sounded familiar so I grabbed it, yet to look it up what it is exactly.

It's an expansion to the Cards Against Humanity game. They compiled their old numbered expansions awhile back. 1-3 became red, 4-6 became blue, & green is/was new. It's not a limited set or anything, but MSRP is $20, so you did good!

5 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

It's an expansion to the Cards Against Humanity game. They compiled their old numbered expansions awhile back. 1-3 became red, 4-6 became blue, & green is/was new. It's not a limited set or anything, but MSRP is $20, so you did good!

Thanks.  I got so wrapped up in that clean up project and bringing it back to life with that Pac-Man I lost track of time and never looked.  Also tried to find a way to hack up a power cable for that WiiU controller with no luck, not sure if it's worth my while to find a cheap charger to test it since it's probably a doorstop without the base console.

Yesterday I went to get a Roland System 1 synth at a pawn shop that I had been waiting for the next price drop day on it. It's an analog emulation synth, and I wanted it to play around with. It turned out to have a dead high E key (of 2 octaves), and it took me about 2 hours to clean it properly to work again. Hooray for rubber domes and carbon dots! I have a random little Akai keyboard with a dead low C key, so now I'm going to fix it too.

On the way I discovered a hole-in-the-wall thrift store and found a PS2 Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for five bucks.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:42 PM, FireStar said:

The udraw only has the tablet but I already have the game so its ok.

The Wii uDraw also can be used with a microcontroller project, like any of the other plug-in controllers. I just buy cheap extension cables from China and cut off the other end. It's so nice that Nintendo used I2C for those. I'm not sure what kind of project I'd do with a pen pad control, but it's good to know in case I come up with an idea.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, Tanooki said:

so I'll need to order a remote ($15~) for it

Try one of those universal remotes if you have one lying around. I use one to control a Bose Wave in the next room over (with appropriate line of sight).

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 9:38 PM, Silverfleet said:

bkacYnXl.jpg

Local nerd store that I hit up sometimes sells vinyl, comics, and games. Snagged Tutankham and Darius Twin, which were both on my must-have list. Especially pumped to have Darius Twin to go with my copy of Super Nova on the SNES; I love the Darius games! And as a bonus, they had two 80's Metal classics on the $1.99 cassette rack! Really excited to have that copy of Dokken's Back for the Attack, which was the first cassette I ever bought back when I was 5 in 1987!

Just add beer!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, Bruce Tomlin said:

Try one of those universal remotes if you have one lying around. I use one to control a Bose Wave in the next room over (with appropriate line of sight).

I did.  It wouldn't work just as I suspected more than to prove it could SEE a remote.  It's my second bose fairly well like this, I have the next model up that didn't have the CD drive I also found at a goodwill like 2 years ago which I enjoy (wave radio II model.)  I didn't have one either and I have this generic Sony remote that works for all sorts of stuff, and while it doesn't have a listing for Bose for radio, it did for CD, dvd stuff, and it's just close enough to light up the green dot for signal.  I ended up buying a second hand very nice remote with a new battery for around $15 shipped which arrived yesterday and it was in fact a perfect match.  I have to decide now to either keep this or the one I already like and sell the other, don't need both. :)

On 1/3/2020 at 3:27 PM, HoshiChiri said:

Just a lil' update, as I've had some time to go over everything in a little more detail. Firstly- the AC adapter is dead. Pretty sure that's probably how it got donated to begin with. The system itself is actually pretty solid, despite the poor condition- boots up first time, every time, no issues. It is not a 1-chip, I opened it up & checked the board markings. The controllers & RF unit are in rough shape- they all work, but the RF cable's rubber cover is cut/rough in a LOT of spots. The controllers work, but one's got 2 of its screw pegs broken off & some cracks in the shell, the other has a damaged d-pad membrane that doesn't always register right presses- and all the membranes just looks very worn.

All the games work & save, except maybe Donkey Kong Country. It's kind of weird- it loads up fine, but after a couple minutes of play the controller quits responding. At all. The game doesn't freeze, it just quits doing anything. It seems to happen faster if you take a hit, so I wonder if there's some connection that needs to be re-flowed or something. It's not an issue I've run into before.

• Like 1

Hey at least it mostly works.  AC Adapter is like $10 and RF is about the same though you're far better off with a $5-10 multi-av cable anyway.  You can cobble the 2 pads into one useful as everything including the cable is detachable if I remember right.  The DKC issue probably is some internal damage, just seems very odd but maybe a reflow would do it if something is just dodgy with a wobbly connection though taking an in game hit seems strange to accelerate it.  All in all good job.

19 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hey at least it mostly works.  AC Adapter is like $10 and RF is about the same though you're far better off with a $5-10 multi-av cable anyway.  You can cobble the 2 pads into one useful as everything including the cable is detachable if I remember right.  The DKC issue probably is some internal damage, just seems very odd but maybe a reflow would do it if something is just dodgy with a wobbly connection though taking an in game hit seems strange to accelerate it.  All in all good job.

Once I gather some packing materials (apparently everything got tossed like a week ago ><) I'm likely just gonna put it for sale as-is. Almost everything is a super easy fix, except the power port. If that didn't require some minor solder work, I could do everything myself.

Gonna be a great fixer-upper for someone tho!

"What's the most valuable collection you've handled at the thrift store?" you may ask.  Was it some Nintendo or Sega games still factory-sealed?  Was it a stack of first-pressing Beatles or Rolling Stones albums?  I'll tell you now, it was more valuable than any of those.  Behold, the biggest motherlovin' jackpot of them all!

2020-01-11.thumb.jpg.7d1df51b610e099201d22f04487b88be.jpg

And they fit my printer!

• Like 6