IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I got a nice score at GW today. I needed an AV cable for audio out on my test station for my PS3 (connected to a monitor). I figured they would have it and they didnt dissapoint! I also found a power cable that will fit the PS3 slim, a Xbox controller dongle, and a nice condition SNES/PC retrobit Megaman controller. I went to the cashier and to my surprise there was a five dollar credit on my account so I paid $2 for everything.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I got a nice score at GW today. I needed an AV cable for audio out on my test station for my PS3 (connected to a monitor). I figured they would have it and they didnt dissapoint! I also found a power cable that will fit the PS3 slim, a Xbox controller dongle, and a nice condition SNES/PC retrobit Megaman controller. I went to the cashier and to my surprise there was a five dollar credit on my account so I paid $2 for everything.

I've been a little curious about that controller (megaman) as I've seen it and the SF2 version of it at second hand around here and it looks nice on the outside but the inside?

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've been a little curious about that controller (megaman) as I've seen it and the SF2 version of it at second hand around here and it looks nice on the outside but the inside?

I havent tried it yet while playing a game but just pushing the buttons in the store it felt decent. Definitely not the same as a Nintendo one. Everything felt stiffer.

Ahh gotcha.  Then again, we're used to decades old broken in controllers.  The SNES CE when it came out felt stiffer too, but it's Nintendo spec, just not well loved.  I'd be more concerned about response than stiffness, unless it's stiff to where the button doesn't slide smoothly to the next strike.

By no means is this everything.  On Saturday I saw this ad posted on the marketplace in town for a large zip bag full of old Transformers, Gobots, etc for $50, and I went for it.

I picked it up and well now I have all four of the Deluxe Insecticons!  I had leader Venom already I picked up a year ago or so at a flea market, now these.  Sadly the green one has 2 broken legs(little) and one starting to crack, but I found a spare lower body on ebay for $10 so it'll get fixed cheap.  The three of them alone are alone just short of double what I put into it, and the red car is a machine robo dx fairlady 280z (super gobot zeemon US) another $15 toy.  Not pictured though, I got this gold nugget rocklord that's intact, overkill the t-rex g1 cassette tape bot, a modern TF firetruck and F-22 Raptor, a broken g1 (all top gone) parts smokescreen, and 2 gobots that are a a10 tank killer jet and an old blue ww2 corsair too.

Needless to say made out like a bandit, and all 3 bugs had their manuals and scan cards cut out too +1 card for Ramjet (which I own.)  Very happy as I've not got any Japanese toys like that in a long time locally.  I'll end up selling the modern stuff, the tape, and the parts car to try an finance some of the missing weapons on the bugs as they add up.  I've been working on them and the red car yesterday as 2 bugs and the car had a lot of sloppy loose joints but they're fixed now. :D

transformersetc.jpg

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2020/02/goodwill-find-02-21-2020.html?m=1

1582343667006831-0.png

Saw this at goodwill today.  Did not work when plugged in so I passed.  Another guy I met there (not employee) said the fuse might be broken or the transistors might be busted.  I know some old radios had transistors.  But did record players?

Edited by 0078265317

16 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2020/02/goodwill-find-02-21-2020.html?m=1

1582343667006831-0.png

Saw this at goodwill today.  Did not work when plugged in so I passed.  Another guy I met there (not employee) said the fuse might be broken or the transistors might be busted.  I know some old radios had transistors.  But did record players?

But it is a radio and an 8-track player! But if you were looking for a turntable there's much better options out there.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

I found one awesomely trashy piece of low tier handheld history right here and just over the river here for just $13 which surprised me as the shop mismarked it, even the owner said as much (or it likely sat that long as it was covered in dust.)  Behold, the Tiger R-Zone XPG in all it's Tigery imitation pleathery like wannabe virtual boy goodness.  It came with the Star Wars Jedi Academy game which is surprisingly not that terrible.  I'd like to get more of those dump little projector drop in carts it has.

That was yesterday.  Today I found for a dollar a replacement Nintendogs Dalmation card (DS) for my kid, she was very happy and I got smooched for it as she was really upset her other went missing so that made it worth it.  Also a 1985 Imperial toys brown stegosaurus for a buck which was awesome too.  And again for her, as a car toy, one of those Flashpad Infinite game/puzzle pads for $2 in purple, her other one got broken on accident.  All around, good stuff for everyone.  She got some fun toys, I got something for gaming masochists. ;)

tigerxpg.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I found one awesomely trashy piece of low tier handheld history right here and just over the river here for just $13 which surprised me as the shop mismarked it, even the owner said as much (or it likely sat that long as it was covered in dust.)  Behold, the Tiger R-Zone XPG in all it's Tigery imitation pleathery like wannabe virtual boy goodness.  It came with the Star Wars Jedi Academy game which is surprisingly not that terrible.  I'd like to get more of those dump little projector drop in carts it has.

That was yesterday.  Today I found for a dollar a replacement Nintendogs Dalmation card (DS) for my kid, she was very happy and I got smooched for it as she was really upset her other went missing so that made it worth it.  Also a 1985 Imperial toys brown stegosaurus for a buck which was awesome too.  And again for her, as a car toy, one of those Flashpad Infinite game/puzzle pads for $2 in purple, her other one got broken on accident.  All around, good stuff for everyone.  She got some fun toys, I got something for gaming masochists. ;)

tigerxpg.jpg

I used to have one of those... it was originally my brother's. It's been lost for like 15 years now... not a big loss in my opinion. And I don't even know why we had one of these when both of us had Game Boy Colors and a decent amount of games (like 30 in 1999, mostly original Game Boy games but still).

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

18 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I used to have one of those... it was originally my brother's. It's been lost for like 15 years now... not a big loss in my opinion. And I don't even know why we had one of these when both of us had Game Boy Colors and a decent amount of games (like 30 in 1999, mostly original Game Boy games but still).

My guess is set in my original post why you like most did with my snarky joke, it was a cheap poor mans virtual boy.  Basically it was like if a virtual boy got inbred with a tiger handheld of the 80s, it's essentially that.  That's why I wanted it, to really experience the awesome dumpster fire that it was supposed to be.

18 hours ago, Tanooki said:

My guess is set in my original post why you like most did with my snarky joke, it was a cheap poor mans virtual boy.  Basically it was like if a virtual boy got inbred with a tiger handheld of the 80s, it's essentially that.  That's why I wanted it, to really experience the awesome dumpster fire that it was supposed to be.

To truly appreciate the dumpster fire, you need to try the game I got with mine, Mortal Kombat! Mine is the handheld like yours, but they also made a version you strap on your head with a corded controller. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chuck D. Head said:

To truly appreciate the dumpster fire, you need to try the game I got with mine, Mortal Kombat! Mine is the handheld like yours, but they also made a version you strap on your head with a corded controller. 

That one of the known games is on the list MKT to be exact.  I know about the original R-Zone then that Super Screen that bombed too pretty fast.  It's interesting, but right now it rests mostly since that one game is fairly thin compared to some others even as far as Tiger stuff goes.

A working Entex select a game system, 4 games, 3 screen overlays (missing the pac man 2 overlay) and it was in the box with styrofoam inserts for $9.99 on sunday. At a Boston thift store like 15-20 minutes away from PAX east. I could feel all my luck draining away as I paid for my second boxed entex console. So it'll be forever now til I find something good in the wild again. 

20200302_234219.jpg

• Like 5