IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

First, and most importantly, the wife is not even mad.

Apparently a hearing aid repair shop was liquidating. I'm surprised they still repaired those.

• 2x 13" panasonic CRT monitors (professional, but non-RGB) with s-video and a bunch of BNCs for composite in/out. 
  • 17" Dell CRT monitor
  • Mac G4, no HDD (too much company proprietary info), but OSX shrinkwrapped probably solves that(?)
  • Also a spyder calibrator, gyromouse, under-monitor power station (I miss those)

But anyway, now that I've owned a reasonably nice Mac for about 45 minutes, I already think I'm better than you--it happens that fast.  A shame but I barely missed out on a G5--then I'd really be high on my own farts.

iktRtDfm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many of us are steering clear of thrift stores these last few weeks.  Here is a pre-plague find I am just now having a chance to work on:

Playstation 3 fat (CECHL), I think that makes it the 3rd generation.  I bought it completely blind for $4.99usd, with not so much as a power cord available in the thrift to plug in and test.

Got it home to find it would power on, but not read any kind of disk.  Discs would go in and eject fine but otherwise nothing.

I set it up again this weekend and took the blu-ray drive apart, cleaned and reassembled it and now have my first working PS3 system.  Movie, audio and game discs now read fine.

I am pleased with the results considering all that could have been wrong in this scenario.  :)

thrift_ps3_fat.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, RodLightning said:

Many of us are steering clear of thrift stores these last few weeks.  Here is a pre-plague find I am just now having a chance to work on:

Playstation 3 fat (CECHL), I think that makes it the 3rd generation.  I bought it completely blind for $4.99usd, with not so much as a power cord available in the thrift to plug in and test.

Got it home to find it would power on, but not read any kind of disk.  Discs would go in and eject fine but otherwise nothing.

I set it up again this weekend and took the blu-ray drive apart, cleaned and reassembled it and now have my first working PS3 system.  Movie, audio and game discs now read fine.

I am pleased with the results considering all that could have been wrong in this scenario.  :)

thrift_ps3_fat.jpg

Yes CECHL01 is not backwards compatible.  It is third.  Only 80gb models with card reader and 4 usb ports are compatible.  But still not bad for 5 bucks.

https://suppo0rt.playstation.com/s/article/Play-PSone-and-PlayStation-2-Games-on-a-PlayStation-3?language=en_US

That's a damn fine score, kind of reminds me of the ps3 superslim I snapped up later sometime last year for a little more but it was complete and had a second sixaxis thrown in too but totally untested.  That one you have it the one I've actually still had all these years but could not re-claim from the main TV as it got demoted to movie box.  That system has been left on more times than I can remember, never has ever fouled up once.  If that thing was treated fairly decently other than that cleaning you needed it should last.  Now go find something fun like Dragon's Crown, Uncharted trilogy of games, or that Journey 3 pack to play with it.

• Like 2

Finding more ps3 games while under quarantine poses a problem.  I currently have Last of Us, Skyrim, and Guitar Hero III.  Three discs I picked up for cheap over the last couple of weeks.  I will get more when the thrifts and pawns open back up and maybe a guitar controller.  I have ignored those stupid things for years, sitting on shelves for less than three dollars.  I just discovered that the console has old firmware, 4.78 and can be jailbroken.  I should probably investigate that too.  But yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to get it working.  The issue was either one of the internal cables, dirty lens, or both.

Speaking of controllers, Dualshock 3 wireless controllers really go for a premium.  I think they must cost more today than when the system was current!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RodLightning said:

Speaking of controllers, Dualshock 3 wireless controllers really go for a premium.  I think they must cost more today than when the system was current!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324099819545

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174228969870

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202944485715

Edited by 0078265317

I'd have to agree and would have posted what 007 there did too as they really do not.  Idiots will overpay, but the real market value is around what his posts are, and I'll see one pop up like every month or two at a goodwill around here and they're even less.

At least though you have Skyrim, that is a huge time sucking adventure so you shouldn't get too bored.  GH3 the only great one, and it actually can be played well using the gamepad as the guitar is not required.  The other game some/enough people enjoy, I found the camera, control/gameplay experience ruining so I got rid of it back in the day when it was fairly new.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly thrift finds, but I do have some stuff that I got/planning on getting when I visit again from relatives' and friends' attics and garages. There's the Playstation(With 1 blue controller) and N64(Watermelon, with 3 controllers and a few games). Another is an Amiga 3000 I found at my dad's friend's garage, sitting there yellowed and collecting dust. Back when I first saw it, I wasn't familiar with Amigas, so I thought it was some random 90s computer. Apparently, the guy worked for Amiga back in the day, so he probably has more stuff. Next time I visit him, I'm definately offering $50 for all the Amiga/Commodore stuff he has:)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 9:02 AM, krslam said:

That's pretty cool.  Rat Shack made a bunch of variants of the CoCo1, but this is one I hadn't seen before.  Does it boot straight to the Videotex screen?  Can you get to the normal BASIC screen?

I know that this was time ago, but the VideoTex stemmed from Project Greenthumb with Radio Shack building the machine according to Motorola's spec.  Then, Radio Shack needing a home color computer converted it into the CoCo.  Check out the book 'CoCo: The Colorful History of Tandy's Underdog Computer' if you want to read more about it.  It was a very good read imo.  Also, there are some great episodes that cover it in the Floppy Days podcast, too.

20 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

The thrift stores all around me are closed, but our church took the opportunity to get rid of some old stuff with an online sale.

Anyone need help with their word processing or PowerPoint presentations?

RetroOffice.thumb.jpg.468cc3c65fedc9567f08a0dc05e9d68b.jpg

The one on the left looks very similar to what we used in high school 92 or 93 I cant remember.  And maybe junior high.

On 4/25/2020 at 4:12 PM, 0078265317 said:

The one on the left looks very similar to what we used in high school 92 or 93 I cant remember.  And maybe junior high.

I saw these projectors in my school until 2009 (when I graduated) but they might still be using them. The digital projectors are still very expensive and beyond the budgets of many schools. Thankfully we did not use typewriters but I do remember typing things on digital word processors in middle school.

Though my school still had Apple IIs in it when I was in elementary school and many PCs still ran Windows 98 when I was in high school when most home PCs were running at least XP or later. I remember using MS Office 2007 and having to save projects to Office 2000 compatibility mode just so I could open them at school. Not only that we still commonly used 3.5" floppies to save them to. Such are the things when you lived in a small town that only had like 500 people. I still hate myself for not grabbing one of the Apple IIs when they were being sold at a school yard sale.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

• 1 month later...

Got a bunch of Xbox games at my local Goodwill today... first time since everything started reopening... I got them for $2 each even though the cashier kept trying to say they were $4... I told them the pricing sign says "Games $2.00" and they even looked at the sigh and I was correct so I got them for that price...

.xbox.thumb.jpg.1e982017f4967b104756ecf6b2f49a65.jpg

• Like 3

My area was good to me a couple days ago too.  I got this sealed up new Lego set for $5 another for $2, also an OEM DSLite power supply for .59 as well and a quality (same price) ANKER car adapter for 2 USB ports.

The Lego Sets were:

Lego Star Wars Anakin's Jedi Starfighter (75214)
LEGO Star Wars Microfighter (75228) Escape Pod vs. Dewback

The starfighter was new in the box and sealed, the other the box was utterly and damn near completely destroyed but the entire contents are untouched/sealed up in their baggies still within ...so New Open Destroyed Box.  The starfighter seems to be worth $30, the other probably $10 since the box is hosed about $20 if it was intact.  Either way, a good day.

But yesterday was slick, went into half price books, came out buying for $8 the Super Mario 64 Original Sound Track on CD, tends to sell disc alone for $20 these days so I'm not complaining.  Already MP3d the thing and stuffed it on my phone. :D

I never posted about it for some reason, but back on the 12th and then 10 days later I had a back to back major score in my book.  First was the dual pair of scuffed up 101 GBA SPs and then those games too (gave the GBA ones to my kid, she had the GB stuff of what she wanted already of it) for $60.  The hobo looking SP there with the european oem adapter is also a 101 too was $50, came with US version of Zelda Link to the Past.

I'll be rehabbing all 3 of the handhelds with new shells, going to OEM the blue and pink, going for a nice red on the cobbled mess one.

gbasp101may25.jpg

gbasp101x2may12.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 7:52 PM, FujiSkunk said:

The thrift stores all around me are closed, but our church took the opportunity to get rid of some old stuff with an online sale.

Anyone need help with their word processing or PowerPoint presentations?

RetroOffice.thumb.jpg.468cc3c65fedc9567f08a0dc05e9d68b.jpg

That typewriter looks a lot like the one I had for typing class back in 89.  IBM Selectric.  Except ours were blue.

Things worked out well though later than I would have liked yesterday at the flea market.  I was alone and was able to go and with the state more or less semi-limited open again I decided to go around 11 (usually like to be there 8 or before for deals last year) and hadn't been since last fall.  Outside had variety but nothing I'd want, oddly inside was a weird win so I can't complain and I got off easy too ($5 each item for $15 total -- Chibi Robo was a $20 shipped pick online and near perfect.)

The Gobot was from a vendor I know of, it's Major Mo and clean very tight joints.  The PC game almost passed on it, the big manual was missing, but the dude had a few trek boxes, found it put accidentally in an trek encyclopedia box so I grabbed it and the disc is excellent.  I had TNG back when it was new, been wanting to buy it again but avoided ebay so yay!  And then EBA was at another vendor I've known for a long time and it's excellent too.

Times like this is why I'm glad I quit doing modern other than one system (and my PC here and there) as I prefer going back to stuff now or just finding something new on that format with my limited time as it is.

IMG_3701.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Times like this is why I'm glad I quit doing modern other than one system (and my PC here and there) as I prefer going back to stuff now or just finding something new on that format with my limited time as it is.

Yeah, my backlog is way too big to worry about new games anymore (says the guy who's been playing PSO2 lately).

But I always make an exception for Zelda :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Asaki said:

Yeah, my backlog is way too big to worry about new games anymore (says the guy who's been playing PSO2 lately).

But I always make an exception for Zelda :D

Oh I get it. There’s always that one or two...  I’m on a DS kick. Feel bad ignoring them switch some ad I am dabbling with mario64 and yooka laylee on pc a little too. Working on Castlevania dawn of sorrow and chibi robo with elite beat agents turned up yesterday. Lots of variety.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

...elite beat agents turned up yesterday.

Yeah, EBA is pretty underrated (even if some of the songs are lame), the Oendan games are great too. Just make sure you use a screen protector or have a backup or something :) You will definitely tear that screen up playing those games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asaki said:

Yeah, EBA is pretty underrated (even if some of the songs are lame), the Oendan games are great too. Just make sure you use a screen protector or have a backup or something :) You will definitely tear that screen up playing those games.

Eh I had it back in the day, I guess I'm just OCD about having a clean panel and stylus, never did any damage.  Never did get the sequel, probably should have, maybe I will now (or just the 2020 R4 device.)  I had a few imports a decade ago or so, Jump Superstars, Electroplankton, few others.  I tried not to 'collect' DS games but well I'm pushing 20 so far but it's stuff I want, not just want to sit but to play.

Score.thumb.jpg.523595f41323dffed629f5e7f50b35ff.jpg

AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY ONE RED CENT!!

My roommate's sister decided to get rid of all the boxes they had accumulated buying video games for the kids.  I figured these might come in handy for bundling stuff or for my own collection, so I said I'd take them.

So yeah, the boxes are empty.  You can stop hating me now. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 5/31/2020 at 10:43 PM, FujiSkunk said:

Score.thumb.jpg.523595f41323dffed629f5e7f50b35ff.jpg

AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY ONE RED CENT!!

My roommate's sister decided to get rid of all the boxes they had accumulated buying video games for the kids.  I figured these might come in handy for bundling stuff or for my own collection, so I said I'd take them.

So yeah, the boxes are empty.  You can stop hating me now. :)

You actually have the systems to go in those boxes.  Otherwise whats the point of empty boxes.