IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

9 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

You actually have the systems to go in those boxes.  Otherwise whats the point of empty boxes.

I've picked up, on occasion and when free/cheap, boxes for systems I didn't yet own.  Having the boxes gave me incentive to find the matching systems.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

You actually have the systems to go in those boxes.  Otherwise whats the point of empty boxes.

Because they're also fun to collect?

Actually, except maybe the two PS3 consoles, I don't have any of these consoles, and I don't have the games that were originally included in these PS3 boxes.  But the boxes are good to have in case I do get a bare console to pair with them, and even better if I get a console I can then box up and sell for the thrift store for greater value.

• Like 1

These boxes might not look like anything special right now, but give it some time and they'll be nostalgic hahaha. Even looking back at my Playstation 1 & 2 boxes, manuals, inserts, ads, etc is a mini blast from the past. They don't seem like too long ago, but with time all those "throw aways" are pretty cool. In this humble hoarder's mind of course. Also...

37 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

...and even better if I get a console I can then box up and sell for the thrift store for greater value.

Aren't thrift stores where you go for a cheap find? And donate? Where are you going to cut such a deal? ?

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

These boxes might not look like anything special right now, but give it some time and they'll be nostalgic hahaha. Even looking back at my Playstation 1 & 2 boxes, manuals, inserts, ads, etc is a mini blast from the past. They don't seem like too long ago, but with time all those "throw aways" are pretty cool. In this humble hoarder's mind of course. Also...

Aren't thrift stores where you go for a cheap find? And donate? Where are you going to cut such a deal? ?

If you have the space to save all those boxes maybe.  Not everyone does.

• Like 1

A couple years ago I picked up at the last day in the basement of an estate sale as all was 50% off a NES Action Set box.  Excellent interior foam, all the bags and papers down to the warranty sheet even the smb+dh manual too, unopened mono a/v cable and UHF adapter too and paid $12 for it.  I didn't have the system at all.  I took the the next month and in that time found yet another, nearly destroyed but had an amazing NES in there and the ac adapter for $10.  After that, I just needed the game, zapper, 2 controllers.  Did a little digging, ultimately, put together a cherry action set for $50 which even at that time would have cost me 2 to 2.5x that on ebay.  If someone is giving away a box, and you have even the faintest inkling you'll want it, or can use it to trade for someone else's needs as they could have what you want in trade... DO IT.

Attached the image of it, see for yourself.  It all started with the stuff I said that was just the box and the few items inside it to begin with.

NES_Action_Set.JPG

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

A couple years ago I picked up at the last day in the basement of an estate sale as all was 50% off a NES Action Set box.  Excellent interior foam, all the bags and papers down to the warranty sheet even the smb+dh manual too, unopened mono a/v cable and UHF adapter too and paid $12 for it.  I didn't have the system at all.  I took the the next month and in that time found yet another, nearly destroyed but had an amazing NES in there and the ac adapter for $10.  After that, I just needed the game, zapper, 2 controllers.  Did a little digging, ultimately, put together a cherry action set for $50 which even at that time would have cost me 2 to 2.5x that on ebay.  If someone is giving away a box, and you have even the faintest inkling you'll want it, or can use it to trade for someone else's needs as they could have what you want in trade... DO IT.

Attached the image of it, see for yourself.  It all started with the stuff I said that was just the box and the few items inside it to begin with.

NES_Action_Set.JPG

That's nice.  But that antiquated.  An xbox 360 box or ps2/ps3 box might not be worth much.  Plus it has to be mint.  Lots of 2600 and sears boxes on eBay don't really fetch much.  Has to be mint like your Nintendo.

You do know you're just making excuses right?  Some people prefer having stuff complete, and it doesn't matter if it doesn't fetch much, they were free.  Keep in mind as reviled as the WiiU is, there's those boxes and given how wonderfully rotten that system sold, someone is going to want those even if the rest go ignored entirely.  Some Nintendo fanboy will pay up for that cardboard just because Nintendo if they have a loose system to complete it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Gosh, that makes me wanna dig ours out of the attic. The SNES box should be up there too (Super Mario All-Stars edition).

...not sure about N64 and up...

• Like 1

Not game related but I picked up a Comcast modem at GW today. I've been thinking for a while about getting off their rental scam and this was worth the risk for $8 out the door. Its $14 a month for a rental! Luckily it worked and even had a bonus of way way better signal strength. 

On the downside though their Blurays were $5. You can buy new ones for that much so no thanks.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Not game related but I picked up a Comcast modem at GW today. I've been thinking for a while about getting off their rental scam and this was worth the risk for $8 out the door. Its $14 a month for a rental! Luckily it worked and even had a bonus of way way better signal strength. 

On the downside though their Blurays were $5. You can buy new ones for that much so no thanks.

It depends on the movie... $5 can be a big deal for certain titles..

On 6/8/2020 at 11:26 PM, cybercylon said:

Or you can have a Good Will store with no movies or games for several years.

Or you can have a Goodwill like mine which hordes all of the games and good movies they get in and sell them online instead of at the store...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sho said:

Or you can have a Goodwill like mine which hordes all of the games and good movies they get in and sell them online instead of at the store...

Or you can have no Goodwill at all and only have 2 thrift stores that specialize in clothes...

• Sad 2

That post looks like a complaint I saw on facebook in some corner earlier ago, that kind of connects the dots. :P

I do agree they suck, and it got worse since this overblown political drag out of the pandemic going on.  Less people are dropping off their crap at thrifts and second hand stores, some are even still being overly paranoid and not taking in things or from appointment only which means far less since it's a bother.  Now is not a good time for goodwills badwill, or the rest unfortunately.  I still swing by, but it's slim.  The only thing I could say I was happy to find was early in the week a big zip bag of old happymeal toys which had most of the mcdonalds changeables (transformers knockoffs) inside that look like food but turn into bots or dinos and I ended up with 15 or so of the things.

Interestingly, this somewhat contradicts what I'm hearing.  All Goodwills, and other thrift stores, are still closed in my area but some donation sites are open.  A story in the newspaper said that those donation stations were being overwhelmed as many people have been using the lockdown time to clean out closets and garages. Goodwill sells most of its games online, but other thrifts don't so I'm hoping for a surge of stuff to eventually make it onto the shelves once the stores reopen. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized I haven't set foot in a Goodwill in... a year, maybe?  Once in a while I would still hit the one up at work, not really expecting to find anything but thinking maybe I might at least score a CD I don't yet own, or even better a somewhat reasonably priced Guitar Hero controller.  Last couple of times I didn't even get that lucky.  So I haven't missed it.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:14 PM, 0078265317 said:

Came today.  All the 2600 games work geat.  And I already have defender 5200 so no big deal.  But 13 dollars and 50 cents for 6 games bot bad.

• Like 2