IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

41 minutes ago, 4300 said:

I'd pretty much written off ever finding anything again at goodwill,  since they seem to cherry pick video games for their auction site.  Since finding Gauntlet for the GameCube a few weeks back for 2 bucks,  I figured I should hit them every now and then. Nothing major here,  other than actually finding cartridge games,  which i haven't seen there in years. Prices were 2-3 bucks per game. 20201005_133537.thumb.jpg.0e5ee7c1b1a0aba14ebe6172f3214ebf.jpg

God!  Your Goodwill puts ours to shame!  Decent PS1 games?  And the NES games are NOT Sports games!!!  Ours has never seen a SNES game, nor an NES game...Maybe Madden for Genesis if you're lucky (Bleccch!)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

God!  Your Goodwill puts ours to shame!  Decent PS1 games?  And the NES games are NOT Sports games!!!  Ours has never seen a SNES game, nor an NES game...Maybe Madden for Genesis if you're lucky (Bleccch!)...

9 times out of 10, there's nothing,  or if there is,  it's obscenely priced.  Their auction cherry pickers have been slacking lately. 

• Haha 2

On 6/5/2013 at 7:53 PM, Fushek said:

Found another huge bunch of old C64, 3do, Atari and Vic-20 boxed games at my local Exchange for $1 each! Included a Wico Joystick Expansion port, an Intellivoice, a sealed Sears Utopia for Intellivision, Robots of Dawn - C64, several sealed Vic-20 games and The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes on the 3DO. For a buck each, I couldn't pass them up ... the store may lead to my divorce!

post-31049-0-48553000-1370458159_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-57066500-1370458202_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-94136700-1370458220_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-63072200-1370458241_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-15511400-1370458257_thumb.jpg

Insanely late to this party, but can I ask if you still have the two Firebird Licensees Inc titles I can see among that hoard (MROA Mach 2, and Battle for Midway/Battle for Britain)? I used to work for the company from the UK end, and would love to get high res photos (or even better, scans) of the packaging, media etc. for those two.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 12:02 PM, Rainbirdrich said:

Insanely late to this party, but can I ask if you still have the two Firebird Licensees Inc titles I can see among that hoard (MROA Mach 2, and Battle for Midway/Battle for Britain)? I used to work for the company from the UK end, and would love to get high res photos (or even better, scans) of the packaging, media etc. for those two.

In fact, if anyone has *any* of the North American releases published by Firebird Licensees Inc. (FLI) then I'd be keen to learn which ones, as I am in need of high res scans (ideally) or photographs of the more obscure/rare releases. This doesn't include the blue Rainbird box releases, but anything else from FLI. I might start a new topic thread on this, rather than hijack this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this sweet little gem at a goodwill for $2 on the weekend.  Some affectionately seem to call it the penguinstation, probably since later models used PSX controller molds or something.  This is a famiclone, and not just your usual garbage one with the games built in, this version came with a slot in the rear and its own 111in1 cart too.  This is shockingly well done, right down to the demonic 2 glowing red power LED eyes it has when on.  It handles famicom games like a dream, even the high complexity extended mapper stuff like from Konami and Namco.  It has every thing the box came with originally other than maybe some bags if it did, but the ties are there, the original manual, and the strangely unique game list foldout for the cartridge too which surprised me.  I gave it a test drive the other night and was shocked how nicely it worked, even that strange controller which doesn't miss a beat.  Sadly can't use the wired one, it goes into a port on the wireless pad instead, the port on the bird is for the light gun that'll definitely get ya shot by a cop the way it looks. :D  I was thinking of only keeping the cart out of this, but it's too cool to let go of.

The sticker on the side says subor, heard of that before, but would love to know more.  All I dig up so far is just regurgitated fluff on features and the games it has included, not on the builder, build quality or other useful info if anyone has a clue.

powergames.jpg

• Like 4

There was a bulk item collection going on here a few weeks ago for three weeks. The best stuff I found were quite a few bookcase and storage shelves, a partly smashed crappy music keyboard, and an old 20" CRT TV.

The keyboard had a good key-bed with a full set of 61 diodes. (that one askew key wasn't broken) It's not the "good" kind with two sets of buttons (for MIDI velocity), but it was not only not broken, it had two cables with 0.1" headers that were perfect for hooking up to a microcontroller and doing general silly stuff that I wouldn't do with a "real" keyboard. I've already got it to scan and currently working on getting it to output serial MIDI. The other parts of it are probably too broken to try to fix, the 3-digit LED board had all the display traces lifted off the board. The only other good part seems to be the stereo amplifier board.

P1050286..thumb.jpg.8cb610adf92835ade03a4ef45c8f33a0.jpg

The TV was a Zenith SL2067 from 1993. I thought maybe I could do an OSD/Jungle chip RGB mod, so I looked for a schematic. I found a schematic for SL2567 and SL2767, so this was probably based on the same CM-145 chassis. Then I found a forum post where someone had tried probably the exact same model. He mentioned blue being combined with blanking (as it was in the schematic), and that the jungle chip didn't support analog RGB. (Just 8-color TTL I guess) But it's still not a bad TV for console games. Now I need to find out what model is my old '90s Zenith in storage.

I also found five pairs of fluorescent light fixtures, all of which worked. Four of the five ballasts let me fix the ceiling lights in the kitchen that died a few months ago. (I had replaced both fixtures many years ago, and both of their 4-lamp ballasts died about two months apart.) The fifth is one of those garage/shop lights and had a power plug but no switch. When I collect enough other bits (like a hanging chain) I'll set it up in the garage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

1418404305_sonytt.thumb.jpg.d0f0eb2dd7990e559059e72d6eb957d2.jpg

I found this Sony turntable on the side of the road today... how's that for thrifting? Can't beat free!

It has the lid and the hinges but I removed them as I couldn't open it that close to the wall.

Nice! I have a PS-LX2, which I think is similar, and I'm really quite happy with it. I also got mine for free.

The biggest factor to getting a good sound is making sure you have a quality cartridge and a fresh stylus (needle). If you've got those things, the Sony will probably perform quite respectably: not super-audiophile, but plenty good.

I've got a Grado cartridge and am very satisfied with the sound I get -- nice, warm, and full -- which was much better than the cartridge that came with my Sony (an Ortofon, I think?). It improved a great deal more once I replaced the stylus; doing that reduces the surface noise and distortion so much, and improves the tracking too.

Oh, and if you ever have issues with the turntable going in and out of the correct speed, try toggling back and forth between 33 and 45 really rapidly, about 30-40 times. When mine developed speed problems (intermittently running a bit slow), that worked like a charm for me, and kept me from having to take it apart or anything like that.

30 minutes ago, thegoldenband said:

Nice! I have a PS-LX2, which I think is similar, and I'm really quite happy with it. I also got mine for free.

The biggest factor to getting a good sound is making sure you have a quality cartridge and a fresh stylus (needle). If you've got those things, the Sony will probably perform quite respectably: not super-audiophile, but plenty good.

I've got a Grado cartridge and am very satisfied with the sound I get -- nice, warm, and full -- which was much better than the cartridge that came with my Sony (an Ortofon, I think?). It improved a great deal more once I replaced the stylus; doing that reduces the surface noise and distortion so much, and improves the tracking too.

Oh, and if you ever have issues with the turntable going in and out of the correct speed, try toggling back and forth between 33 and 45 really rapidly, about 30-40 times. When mine developed speed problems (intermittently running a bit slow), that worked like a charm for me, and kept me from having to take it apart or anything like that.

The speed is more stable than my Stanton T62 I bought in 2011... and that's a recent turntable (I mostly listen to electronic music so a DJ turntable made sense for me, but I'm not DJing though so the Sony is better for me right now). It's more stable on the Sony and it's almost 40 years old! 

The PS-LX2 has servo lock but the PS-LX4 has quartz lock... so it's different.

Anyway I'm so happy I found this... the highs are much better than the Stanton which had high frequency distortion and sibilance problems. Gonna try one of my records that had it pretty bad and see how much better it is.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

Wow, congrats. Wish my street had turntables laying on it like that!

I think the best free thing I've ever got was a Watermelon N64 and PS1 bundle. I mean it's obviously great that I got them for free but that turntable is pretty amazing!

Edit: By "my street" I'm referring to the street which lies in front of the house in which I live inside.

Edited by bluejay

9 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

The PS-LX2 has servo lock but the PS-LX4 has quartz lock... so it's different.

Yeah, I noticed that. Here's an interesting discussion of the differences (between quartz/servo, not Sony-specific):

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=27762

The LX-4 will probably have more stable speed, with the only downside being the difficulty in repairing it if something goes wrong (allegedly, anyway). That said the speed issues in my turntable were a result of the 33/45 RPM switch getting dirty; I'm not sure if that mechanic differs much between the turntables.

What kind of cartridge do you have on it?

BTW I bought a vintage 1980s turntable a while back that sounded interesting but turned out to be a total piece of trash, so they're not all good. :) But you got a nice one with the Sony; that series is well-known for offering a good-sounding, workhorse model of turntable.

21 hours ago, BDW said:

Tonight's find: Atari Anti Aircraft $200

Please excuse the state of my garage. Its been turned into a workshop for derelict arcade games20201102_210941.thumb.jpg.14d64a30b3c99599bf9f953a7c717052.jpg

What? Where? How?

I've seen a lot of good stuff on this thread but I think this is one of the two times I went "Holy shit!" ?

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, bluejay said:

What? Where? How?

I've seen a lot of good stuff on this thread but I think this is one of the two times I went "Holy shit!" ?

I was at a guys house to buy something unrelated and I asked if he had any arcade stuff he didnt want. Sometimes asking and having extra cash on hand pays off.

The Stargate to the left of the Anti-Aircraft I got the week prior for $250. One new fly back transformer and it's up and running. I've had some good luck lately.

• Like 3

Wow now that's luck.  I've hit it twice before with great prices on lucky finds for arcade too a few years back, one from the era, another a modern cocktail but still -- damn good fun.

And on that...  I got this today in an open box/overstock store in town here for $35.  Given it still sells new at retail for $99 and came out a year ago for $20 more than that I'm psyched.  I've wanted it since then just didn't like the sticker price. ;)  Patience wins the day.

Namco MuseumMyArcade.jpg

• Like 5

This has been a wild ride of happy finds this week, and seeing as this thread has been silent since Tuesday here's what I got Thursday, then Friday.

I found the first image stuff on Thursday, drove over to the next county after talking with this older couple on messenger and then they flake and I sit for a 1/2 hour.  As I"m most of the way home, they figure it out and get super apologetic and already start up the freeway to make it right.  I had gone down there to save $20 as it was off the price, but got it reduced further to $45.  Now if this isn't nice enough, and I didn't put it on photo intentionally, it gets a little twisted.  While I could clean it off the inside of the GB battery door entirely, the reverse of 4/5 carts has a name and a social security number! on the back.  WTF?!  I've never seen that in 25 years of buying second hand games, not once, as it's just scary stupid given the wrong person gets it (guessing it was likely their kids now a grown adult if still alive) someone could use it to do anything from identity theft to helping smuggle people or whatever or be the ID for an illegal.  Earlier ago I popped the lens off, put a glass one on there, it looks marvelous.  LCD got a little scuffy damage due to bad glue on the original lens, so I'm probably going to buy a kit and do another IPS upgrade as they're fun.

So then today, this went like clockwork, but again, worked out better than expected.  Listing was $120, talked nicely a bit on messenger tried to get it split as I just wanted the non-DS stuff.  We agreed on $85.  They show up a moment before I did, and instead well, they brought it all anyway, didn't want more, and got all that still.  There was a messed up set of intec cheap plastic accessories that were rough so I pitched em, but the rest is as it is.  DSLite is like brand new, clean inside, barely a scuff outside, box was CIB entirely, but I own a matching one which lacked the bags, non-manual paper, and the tray so I took em. ?  SP has no charger but works, it's a survivor, probably going to re-shell it and get an oem adapter for it too.

So yeah within 48 hours all that, I'm up to finding 5 GBA SP 101s this year between early summer to now, that's never happened

gb-find11-5.JPG

gb-find11-6.JPG

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

the reverse of 4/5 carts has a name and a social security number! on the back.  WTF?!  

That's crazy! I've seen carts with phone numbers on them, but ssn?! If someone finds a lost game, how would they even return it? Go to the police and have them tracked down by social security number? Wow. So stupid, haha.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fakecortex said:

That's crazy! I've seen carts with phone numbers on them, but ssn?! If someone finds a lost game, how would they even return it? Go to the police and have them tracked down by social security number? Wow. So stupid, haha.

I've never seen it on video games, but I've seen it plenty of times on antique firearms and other items. Back in the day before social security fraud/identity theft was common people would write their ssn on items that could easily be stolen. Stupid? At the time, no. If the police recovered your items your ssn would prove beyond reasonable doubt it belonged to you. Especially back when things like firearms didnt have serial numbers. Naive? Probably, but hindsight is 20/20.

Edited by BDW
  • Like 1

Back in the early/mid 90s my college used SSN as our student ID which it was also printed on.  I tried to tell them at the time this was a bad plan.  At the time my girlfriend was from Mississippi and their driver’s license number was their SSN and had it printed in their also.

• Sad 1