IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

It's nice to have, but if that's all you got I think you overpaid.  When you add in some original controllers (2 to 4) original power supply, the RF and/or mono av cable and accounting how the plastic on those look like they've browned I hope you just intend to keep those, or if you're a wizard with mods you could custom paint and clear coat them which could help things out.  Hate to be a downer but I guess the silver lining is the games alone are combined worth around what you paid so the browning NES's are free.

I mean, as a whole, he paid less that he would have paid for if he got everything separately, but it's not an excellent deal either.

The games should total to around $60 if he bought them separately(SMB3 and Zelda taking up a big chunk of that) and even bad condition systems are worth more than $10 each.

But as a bundle, perhaps <$50 would be considered a "good deal".

It didn't come with any controllers, but I'm happy that I got an OK deal.
I got one NES to work and the other one might be broken, but I haven't cleaned it yet.
There was another lot in the auction for an Nintendo 64 with 6 official controllers, 5 3rd party controllers and 12 games (11 controllers total)
It sold for a ridiculous price of 250 dollars.

Ridiculous, hard to say, N64 has been cracked out stupid right now.  Your average N64 (stock) is an easy $50, and any regular controller is worth $20-25 if the stick isn't shot, and the less common funtastics tend to add $10 to the price, sometimes more.  Those 6 controllers would have been worth like $120-150 of that bundle, and another $50 for the system and you're at $170-200.  The 3rd party controllers mostly are worthless, select few people will pay for as sometimes they're seen as more comfortable.  And the games, unless they were all childrens titles, terrible movie games, and awful re-run sports stuff with 12 there I think whoever popped for $250 probably got a pretty good deal out of it.

I feel for ya on that though. Personally, I feel like it's an okay deal as long as one works. 

Also, it's getting harder and harder to find "steal of a deal" anywhere anymore. With the rise and popularity of vintage/retro gaming, finding good deals is tough.

Most prices are either heavily inflated or honestly more accurate than we care to admit.

The best case scenarios to get a great deal are:

1. Find someone who just doesn't know/care
  2. The "I want it gone" person (refer to scenario 1)
  3. Diamond in the rough

Honestly, I'm lucky to find anything around here, but Oklahoma seems to mostly be a wasteland... Or I'm encroaching on some other retro person's territory and don't know it. *looks around suspiciously*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I'm kind of glad I've got just about everything I want (and EverDrives to fill in the gaps), older consoles have become much too expensive for me in the past decade or so.

It's the newer consoles that have gone way down in price...picking up WiiU gems that I missed has been somewhat painless.

I'll even grab a 360 game now and then...heck, the other day I ordered my first Xbone game: my GF has one, and I was just reminded the other day that Rare Replay existed.

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ridiculous, hard to say, N64 has been cracked out stupid right now.  Your average N64 (stock) is an easy $50, and any regular controller is worth $20-25 if the stick isn't shot, and the less common funtastics tend to add $10 to the price, sometimes more.  Those 6 controllers would have been worth like $120-150 of that bundle, and another $50 for the system and you're at $170-200.  The 3rd party controllers mostly are worthless, select few people will pay for as sometimes they're seen as more comfortable.  And the games, unless they were all childrens titles, terrible movie games, and awful re-run sports stuff with 12 there I think whoever popped for $250 probably got a pretty good deal out of it.

And keep in mind there are some select few games that would easily add +$30 to the price.

Again, that $250 doesn't seem like a horrible deal but it isn't good either.

It's not my deal, but I wanna post about it anyway!

My brother recently started working for a recycling company that, when (easily) possible, resells the electronics they get in. My mom had mentioned to the two of us she wanted to get my 6 year old niece her own handheld game for Christmas, but her budget was VERY low. Like, can't-afford-a-DS-on-Ebay low. Well, my brother comes in today, holds up a white DS that came into work & got thrown into the junk pile for not powering on, and asks if I want to try & get it running. My findings:

1-All it needed to run was a couple minutes on a charger, then it powered right up.

2- Despite being filthy, it was in great cosmetic shape (save for some paint marks I can't get off readily.)

3- It's not a DS. It's a New 3DS Super Mario unit!20201214_202037.thumb.jpg.c27f56fa634228bc95a1d9e65a61be12.jpg20201214_202144.thumb.jpg.f8a95a6492365313c799a252b9f4a87c.jpg20201214_202128.thumb.jpg.6195d656520cbc0b6b9a5b6faab43fa0.jpg

I'm honestly just floored that someone just threw this out! It works great! The hinge is solid! No dead pixels! It's even still got the stylus! I almost don't want to let my niece have it- but I've got 2 3DSes as is... plus I'm sure my sister will steal it if she loses interest ? So right now I'm just scrambling to get it ready for her- luckily I had an extra charger already.  Next up: Screen Protectors!

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, cybercylon said:

That is really nice to see that your niece is going to get a nice surprise, especially with the price used new 3DSes are going for these days on the auction sites.

Yup! My mom was pretty stunned when I told her the going rate online ?

We're thinking we may not be able to get a set together before Christmas (since we'd REALLY like to get her New Leaf, but can't find any copies locally)- so it may get pushed back to her birthday instead. We'll see!

• Like 1

Yeah, that was probably the best model of 3DS, and we really got shafted over it here in the States. Waited about a year for it to finally come out here, and then they didn't sell them for very long, so I'm sure the resale prices aren't cheap. IIRC, the black version is even more rare. Mine's the Happy Home Academy bundle.

I lost the tiny stylus from mine, it falls out so easily, that's one area where the XL wins...bought a bulk pack of replacements from eBay. Had to fix the face buttons, too. Peeled the "sticker" off, cleaned it up real good, put it back on...it's been pretty good so far. The R and L buttons sometimes start to go out, but then they start working again, so I haven't replaced those yet.

• Like 1

And once again... MOAR VINYL!  I apologize in advance for the photo spam.

First, the 12"ers...

2020-11-28-5.thumb.jpg.be502ba63af92e02b2349c10b4550a49.jpg

2020-11-28-4.thumb.jpg.f3440da1898b0792d43b9fb71d2bb11b.jpg

2020-11-28-3.thumb.jpg.1400c91688d57237cfd2b03f22d50286.jpg

2020-11-28-2.thumb.jpg.f645034912bfe24c6bedd43da610ff13.jpg

2020-11-28-1.thumb.jpg.9df8ee1b7f1b91e82bbe195d1513d800.jpg

You don't really see big batches of '70s and '80s albums come into thrift stores like you used to anymore, so it was very exciting getting to thumb through a stack and pick out a lot of what I (thought I) didn't already have.  I was surprised to see that many of these weren't already on my shelves, though I did later discover a couple were already in my to-listen stack.  This is why I need to hurry up and listen to all the vinyl I've been accumulating!  Sadly a few of these aren't in great shape, but for the price I can still live with them until better specimens come along.

Now for the 7"ers...

2020-11-21-1.thumb.jpg.ffa4d95f52ba9abb4edaba734cc95072.jpg

2020-11-21-2.thumb.jpg.0489b66a29e81e675a02db5a9f13aff7.jpg

2020-11-21-3.thumb.jpg.a67d6b5a83dfb4ac2ad20f93bbd11489.jpg

These were the highlights of a big stack of 45's that I suspect were two collections mashed together.  You don't normally see '60s and '80 singles in one collection, at least not one as big as this collection was.  Random trivia:  Queen's "I Want to Break Free" is a rare and curious case of the single version actually being longer than the album version!

And finally, at long last I now have a legitimate copy of this song!

2020-11-21-4.thumb.jpg.b34748481c5ddfb09e1102bee5fc8d1e.jpg

• Like 7

Found these earlier in the week for all of $6.  I had no idea what they were other than a quick search showed me they were related to YuGiOh.  It took a bit of digging which strangely went nowhere, and ebay was sketchy on it as it seems people like to mistakenly list them by the wrong year and w/out the maker either, but someone on facebook was a perfect help.  These are a one off set of action figures and pop together deluxe models Mattel did for the franchise in 2003 yet only branded them the copyright from Japan (96) date and the makers name on the bodies of them.

I could go on, but the top row are complete, bottom row are not, and the rightmost is an avatar toy that looks like some panzer dragoon stuff.  The amazing part of it all, the 2 big ones on top between the two are worth like $200 and the smalls are like $15-20 each.  Bottom they'd be worth as much as the large deal on top, but having a couple parts (left), and almost all the parts (red one) gone it's worth considerably less.  But hey... $6 right?  Tempted to try and get the missing 2 pieces of the big gold dragon but the red one I looked into, not a good idea.

yugiohtoys1996.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/17/2020 at 7:22 AM, Mitkraft said:

I agree that is a great haul and brings back a LOT of memories!  I don’t come across Petra very much on vinyl.  I used to listen to them when I was in HS and college.  I Even saw them at Southern Star Ampitheather at Astroworld.  Remember that?

I never did make it to Astroworld, sorry to say.  I moved to Houston in 1998, and while I did get to see the Astrodome before the Astros moved stadiums, a trip to Astroworld slipped through the cracks.  I made it to Six Flags in Atlanta back in the day, though, so I'm sure it was awesome!

On 12/17/2020 at 9:51 PM, Tanooki said:

Found these earlier in the week for all of $6.  I had no idea what they were other than a quick search showed me they were related to YuGiOh.  It took a bit of digging which strangely went nowhere, and ebay was sketchy on it as it seems people like to mistakenly list them by the wrong year and w/out the maker either, but someone on facebook was a perfect help.  These are a one off set of action figures and pop together deluxe models Mattel did for the franchise in 2003 yet only branded them the copyright from Japan (96) date and the makers name on the bodies of them.

I could go on, but the top row are complete, bottom row are not, and the rightmost is an avatar toy that looks like some panzer dragoon stuff.  The amazing part of it all, the 2 big ones on top between the two are worth like $200 and the smalls are like $15-20 each.  Bottom they'd be worth as much as the large deal on top, but having a couple parts (left), and almost all the parts (red one) gone it's worth considerably less.  But hey... $6 right?  Tempted to try and get the missing 2 pieces of the big gold dragon but the red one I looked into, not a good idea.

yugiohtoys1996.jpg

Don't care for YuGiOh at all but I liked your post cause dragons... lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Don't care for YuGiOh at all but I liked your post cause dragons... lol

You know, being honest with you, 100% the same.  I like my post, because, well, dragons.  I never liked YuGiOh.  I tried to get into the cartoon when it showed up long ago and it just felt cheap and petty, always some bs excuse to win or lose the battle, and it was so repetitive it made pokemon seem fresh. :D  That's why I said I'll end up offloading them, just thinking the damaged big boy there on the bottom I could get decent scratch out of it for parts but I'm going to try and correct that wing, find that tail bit if I can and just display it as the detail is crazy good.  They're all hogging my shelf I usually dedicate to my big box pc games in my work/storage closet and around where my repair/cleaning racks are as they're not small.  They're like 7 to 13" high depending on the model.

I had a bitching bit a luck yesterday evening due to facebook and the better half of it was the dude side mentioning offloading some other stuff and he brought up he had the thing, only wanted $25 to the $35 on the handheld, I couldn't agree fast enough. :D  $60 -- Game & Watch Pinball + reshelled GB Pocket.  The G&W has light scratches on the metal plate on top, inside, bottom are excellent nothing missing.

gw-pinball-gbp.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

You know, being honest with you, 100% the same.  I like my post, because, well, dragons.  I never liked YuGiOh.  I tried to get into the cartoon when it showed up long ago and it just felt cheap and petty, always some bs excuse to win or lose the battle, and it was so repetitive it made pokemon seem fresh. :D  That's why I said I'll end up offloading them, just thinking the damaged big boy there on the bottom I could get decent scratch out of it for parts but I'm going to try and correct that wing, find that tail bit if I can and just display it as the detail is crazy good.  They're all hogging my shelf I usually dedicate to my big box pc games in my work/storage closet and around where my repair/cleaning racks are as they're not small.  They're like 7 to 13" high depending on the model.

I had a bitching bit a luck yesterday evening due to facebook and the better half of it was the dude side mentioning offloading some other stuff and he brought up he had the thing, only wanted $25 to the $35 on the handheld, I couldn't agree fast enough. :D  $60 -- Game & Watch Pinball + reshelled GB Pocket.  The G&W has light scratches on the metal plate on top, inside, bottom are excellent nothing missing.

gw-pinball-gbp.jpg

The card game was cool though... played it a bit... never cared much for the show. I even had three Blue-Eyes-White-Dragon cards... but sadly not the one the fuse into. lol

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

My friend told me I had to buy the YuGiOh starter deck and play with him...$7 was a lot for me, didn't have a job at the time. We played a total of maybe two or three times, and decided it was like MtG, but faster, and not as cool.

I was pretty miffed about that one.

• Like 1