IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

But this is a better solution.  Somebody here made me the bumble adapter shell and Gyromite 5 screw from ebay for 20 bucks had the official 60 to 72 pin converter. It comes in and out super easy.  Then grey piece is a yobo adapter 20 bucks also.  Converts 60 pin back to 72 pin.  Then I load my game genie.  Works great.  Or a normal game. 

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2018/01/bumble-nes-converter.html?m=1

image.png.75170c4acd4baea793f192b00485518d.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I lucked out a little, with this thing I never knew I wanted--the 'Play Limit' token-operated parental aid. It was new in box, and half off ($6.50 total).  I just love coin-operated stuff, and this thing is better designed and built than I expected.

first a box shot

2AaYUsDm.jpg

here are the 15-minute tokens, and it running.

gihkQlNm.jpg OQdPT6im.jpg

Here's inside the coin door.  where you can set if it interferes with RF, composite, or both, and sets freeplay/token-play/off, as well as a lock for the back panel.  Also here's inside the back panel where the video connections happen:

4xlNXp3m.jpg EpMbVyNm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

@Reaperman When my kid gets snotty and won't go to bed or acts up bad in the day while using it, the Switch using the parental controls it has coupled with the required expanded feature of the ios/android app you can nail the kids the same way.  There's an instant block, but then you can lock it down in 15min increments or set a hard shut down/sleep at a specific time (every 15min.)  It's great when their time is up and you hear 'wait!...'  no, no wait, click.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Reaperman said:

2AaYUsDm.jpg

That is such an odd little find. I would've picked it up for that price too. Couldn't find too much online about it...what's the date on the box? Looks older than it is, considering the ps3 controller in the pic (or ps2 with the cord photoshopped out lol). And you know that kid isn't actually happy to be "out of time"...

The token system is neat and over the top at the same time.

53 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

That is such an odd little find. I would've picked it up for that price too. Couldn't find too much online about it...what's the date on the box? Looks older than it is, considering the ps3 controller in the pic (or ps2 with the cord photoshopped out lol). And you know that kid isn't actually happy to be "out of time"...

The token system is neat and over the top at the same time.

date on the box is 2005, which is naturally way to recent to be useful for most people.  And there are a couple on ebay (link).

I think I'm possibly going to use this thing for a while, since it's kind of neat, and pretty well built.  There's no token bin though, and fishing them out is more annoying than need be.  Not that I can't fix that by making one, I suppose.

The wife's too stingy with tokens though.  Cleaning the pipes, painting the fence, and filling the canoe only got me one of these tokens. ;)  And now I'm about all out of handyman euphemisms for things that didn't happen.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 12:27 PM, Reaperman said:

date on the box is 2005, which is naturally way to recent to be useful for most people.  And there are a couple on ebay (link).

I think I'm possibly going to use this thing for a while, since it's kind of neat, and pretty well built.  There's no token bin though, and fishing them out is more annoying than need be.  Not that I can't fix that by making one, I suppose.

The wife's too stingy with tokens though.  Cleaning the pipes, painting the fence, and filling the canoe only got me one of these tokens. ;)  And now I'm about all out of handyman euphemisms for things that didn't happen.

If it wasn't for the black PS2 controller in the background of that box photo, I wouldn't have believed that product was from 2005. The photo and title font somehow gives that box a much more vintage vibe. 

• Like 2

Okay, I promise this thing is all out of my system now.  Turns out it does generate both video and audio to accompany the timer functionality--it really didn't have to do all the things that it does. There's a demo of it in action toward the end.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

So this did not come from a thrift store, nor eBay, nor any kind of local trade or garage sale.  Instead, this was found abandoned in our church parking lot.

2021-04-20.thumb.jpg.bd3d3712fdda676f49dcd63ba961b85e.jpg

It seems God really does provide!

Wow what a find! I feel bad for whoever dropped it, bc I can’t imagine that someone would toss it on purpose. Then again, my buddy gifted me a gen & Sega cd both model 1 that he found out on the curb. This was prob 15 years ago, all with cables and working like new. Some ppl huh. 

Have you tried out the cable?

Wasn't able to thrift much in february or march due to a car accident, thankfully the car is back and repaired now, but here's the little bit I have found. I haven't tested the Tac-3 joystick yet but the tiny bit of info online says it's atari pinout. Wii Fit U was a more practical pickup since Ring Fit is starting to feel repetitive.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExBR0yzWYAEpqnT?format=jpg&name=mediumhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0FXQnzWUAoCw9l?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Holy heck has this thread ever slowed down, or what?

Today I shot a video about a classic double thrift find I had back in ~03-04, mostly to see if anybody had any experience/info about professionally(?) pirated Saturn games.  I seem to have a variety of them.  Also later in the video I show off the $4(!) modified saturn w/ movie card I got from the same shop at around the same time (probably donated together and put out separately).  You'll have to reset your brain to early 2000's pricing for the $4 Saturn to start making sense again. (some of the younger-sters around here may have missed out on the golden age of game thrifting)

I also briefly mention some of the other thrift finds I had back when I was stationed in CA (pachinko, projector, radio control)--those Oxnard thrift shops provided some legendary finds BITD.

Edited by Reaperman

Last week I got a text from my brother with a pic of a 2600/7800 cart lot at a thrift store near his work, asking me which ones I wanted. There were five 7800 carts I particularly needed that he grabbed for me, but these were the big ones. They were all $3 apiece - easily my best video game-related thrift score in awhile!

(The only comparable score in recent months was 2600 Tapper in a $10 lot of nine games in April, but that was from a specific movie/music/games/toys store, not a thrift. Generally these guys price games around what they sell for online, though luckily for me this location evidently doesn't place much importance on Atari, because there were some other good titles in there, though technically only a few I actually needed. Tapper though, man was I happy to add that one to the collection!)

20210516_162824.jpg

20210516_162834.jpg

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In a small way I blame myself on this one slowing up too.  Whenever I used to get stuff, it was never big, but still worth at least text if not some simple image and story I'd do it, but I was doing it in a couple boards, and just got tired of doing a re-run and stopped since most of what I get was stuff this site less catered to anyway (Nintendo, arcade stuff.)  This month has been pretty good to me, more of a rarity with some crazy grabs since the start of May, but they've more or less been Nintendo (Gameboy family) related, and a few lucky PC accessory grabs ($10/ea for a pair of 2 trackballs worth $100 I'm keeping and currently using one now.)

• Like 1

I wasn't going to share this as it ended up being not quite as good a deal as I originally thought.... but I figured why not!

pic1.thumb.png.b38fad81db6f4dd886fe3bc5fff53b97.png

The games and keyboard were $5. The Mario soundtrack was like $2.50.

Keyboard works, but it's missing the wireless USB adapter. Luckily, Logitech uses a single type receiver for a majority of their items now so I can order a replacement one. 

The Incredible Hulk works, but it seems spotty... Unsure if 360 just doesn't like it or the enormous number of scratches on disc are the problem.

The Sims Deluxe Edition is lacking more than I thought it was. (I checked inside and thought it had most of it.) It has 2 Sims 2 discs and Disc 2 of the Sims Deluxe... So it's basically useless to me. -_-

LUCKILY! The Super Mario Galaxy Official Soundtrack appears complete, and the disc appears in good condition. I'll have to rip it when I get a moment. That was the one upside during my visit unfortunately. lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

Keyboard works, but it's missing the wireless USB adapter. Luckily, Logitech uses a single type receiver for a majority of their items now so I can order a replacement one. 

That keyboard is a great item to have.  I found one like it at a thrift last year for about the same price.  No usb radio in it either, but I already had a couple of mice with unified type adapter.  Any Logitech hardware with the red star logo on the bottom sticker can be paired with a unified dongle using their provided software.  The one I have here is moved routinely between a MiSTer box and Raspberry Pi.

• 3 weeks later...

Part thrift, part local nerdry shop- but still worth mentioning!

Did a big purge of stuff with the in-laws, grabbed these checking out the store after:16229474319883170421935945295234.thumb.jpg.422c1da358cc45afa998263c204e3fb5.jpg

The Crusi'n cart was 8 bucks- nothing crazy, but now I have a game for the eyetoy I bought for a dollar a few years back.

We separated some of the better 'nerd' items (autographed anime dvds,  figures in-box, etc.) & took them to a stop owned by the son of one of my sister-in-law's coworkers. I thought, maybe 50 bucks? Anime stuff isn't super hot right now. And I did get some games:16229476925874509291228286474208.thumb.jpg.c3a36ab1d90110872496d1f965f3cf87.jpg

Here's the kicker: turns out, one of the figures I had sells for around $100- no idea Rwby still had that kinda pull! Which meant I had enough credit for one more thing... 16229478343512846460468168240341.thumb.jpg.44f3319a5b6fd0cf584f0c8a8ebf6611.jpg

I'M SO EXCITED! I've wanted a Coleco tabletop for years, but couldn't justify the cost for what is essentially a cooler Tiger handheld- I'm stoked to have one for a pile of Goodwill-bound tat!

It's badly in need of new contacts (posted that in another thread), but otherwise it works! I love it!

• Like 4

Score!  Galaxian...that's like the last one of those I want from the company other than maybe Ms PacMan.  I've had Zaxxon and it's awful, and DK Jr wasn't very fun either, recently got maybe 4mo ago a Frogger off FB, found it as it went up and dude only wanted $20+shipping so I did it, had DK and Pac-Man already along with one of those ac adapter power packs.  That Galaxian one though is quite fun, sure it's basically VFD generic movement, but the simplicity of it makes it pretty nice.

I always forget to play in this pond, but this came into my hands yesterday at the flea market which had gone down hill, a couple weeks earlier anything I could find was thin outdoors, overpriced, indoor which never should be the case was better.

I'll put this up front, all this -- $16 from 5 individuals.

$1- Doubledealer+knok transformer

$5 - WWF game

$5 - GoBot 'Bolt'

$3 for The McD's changers, and everything right/below it and top right Leo(who even had one of his swords and I had the other at home +2 other weapons) -- the watch I found is dead, may repurpose it

$2 - PS1 Manual and DISC!!  They were in a junk box tossed, disc has minor scuffs and works 100%, manual is cut and has stamps/sharpie inside as it was a rental.  The disc I restored, it was covered in sharpie all over the top and got it off, and one of those evil VOID stickers from the M down through the (P) logo.

jun5fleafinds.thumb.jpg.3761819f5ca04c3c53a131e98e354815.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fakecortex said:

@Tanooki oh man, I haven’t seen one of those turtle watches since they came out! Nice find! And I loved those McDonald’s food transformers. 

Well if you're interested in some of that stuff, I do have a larger bundle of those changers I was looking to get rid of in my storage closet in the room here, and the watch as I said it's dead, I internally glued the 2 buttons inside the shell so it wouldn't get lost and tossed the watch guts as it was fried.  If you're in the states maybe we can do a little trade or something.

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well if you're interested in some of that stuff, I do have a larger bundle of those changers I was looking to get rid of in my storage closet in the room here, and the watch as I said it's dead, I internally glued the 2 buttons inside the shell so it wouldn't get lost and tossed the watch guts as it was fried.  If you're in the states maybe we can do a little trade or something.

Not atm, but I am in the states and good to know ppl are up for trades here!