IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

1 minute ago, fakecortex said:

Not atm, but I am in the states and good to know ppl are up for trades here!

No problem.  I'm working on ditching a lot of stuff in recent times, and my trade ideas are kind of a mixed bag, but I'm flexible.  I just stopped posting a sales/trade list here as most of what I got is Nintendo based, and no one seemed to bother, so I stopped bothering too.

44 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

No problem.  I'm working on ditching a lot of stuff in recent times, and my trade ideas are kind of a mixed bag, but I'm flexible.  I just stopped posting a sales/trade list here as most of what I got is Nintendo based, and no one seemed to bother, so I stopped bothering too.

My main collection is NES, so good to know for the future :)

Around here the Thrift shops have dried up,...Like literally the only video games they Ever have now are Sports games for PS1/PS2 and XBOX,  and something called Kinect Adventures whatever that is...I think it's for XB 360 so doesn't count anyway haa...

However I was at the pawn shop the other day and came across something a little bit interesting.    Atari FB joysticks.   First, I told him they were for Flashback (and were not the original old ones),  and they were dusty as hell.  Upon checking them out, 2 seemed too loose to even work and I'm not even sure about the third one...I wonder if a BEST Gold kit would fit inside one of these?  I mean I know the cord placement is a little different, but...

Anyway he said he'd take $3 (or was it $2?) for one,  and eventually said he'd take $5, tax included for all 3 so I took'em.  Even if they become parts,  that's a pretty good deal I figure.  I haven't tried them out yet...

20210606_175737.thumb.jpg.bff42d2a3f1f215994df7cc30719149e.jpg

Think I'll throw this in the other thread too....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

Around here the Thrift shops have dried up,...Like literally the only video games they Ever have now are Sports games for PS1/PS2 and XBOX,  and something called Kinect Adventures whatever that is...I think it's for XB 360 so doesn't count anyway haa...

However I was at the pawn shop the other day and came across something a little bit interesting.    Atari FB joysticks.   First, I told him they were for Flashback (and were not the original old ones),  and they were dusty as hell.  Upon checking them out, 2 seemed to loose to even work and I'm not even sure about the third one...I wonder if a BEST Gold kit would fit inside one of these?  I mean I know the cord placement is a little different, but...

Anyway he said he'd take $3 (or was it $2?) for one,  and eventually said he'd take $5, tax included for all 3 so I took'em.  Even if they become parts,  that's a pretty good deal I figure.  I haven't tried them out yet...

20210606_175737.thumb.jpg.bff42d2a3f1f215994df7cc30719149e.jpg

Think I'll throw this in the other thread too....

Im actually surprised someone with a flashback played it enough to wear out the joysticks.  First time I’ve heard of that.  I actually liked my original FB2 joysticks (which looks like those). I used them on my really Atari for a while since they were my best performing sticks till I rebuilt some of mine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mitkraft said:

Im actually surprised someone with a flashback played it enough to wear out the joysticks.  First time I’ve heard of that.  I actually liked my original FB2 joysticks (which looks like those). I used them on my really Atari for a while since they were my best performing sticks till I rebuilt some of mine.

Yeah if they were regular, solid FB joysticks,  I like them quite a bit too!...Not as much as Slik Stiks, or 7800 Europads, Genesis pads, converted NES pads or real arcade sticks (obviously) but...Despite this list of exceptions,  I've always enjoyed FB sticks.  I've usually liked them better than the real thing, but that is maybe because any real ones I have left are completely wore out haha...Been meaning to rebuild some sometime...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

For a bit of an 'I'm probably the only one into these' post, I found myself a second Oreck XL air purifier for $25 at the thrift shop. A few years ago I restored/modded an older woodgrain unit--this one's a newer 'Vader' unit, if you will. Oreck's a bit of a local company, and when I found out, I started playing with these--not the vacuums, though. Just not a big 'cleaning' fan.

I had bought this Vader for spare parts, but until something breaks on the woody unit, I'll run it from the top of my wardrobe in the bedroom. The 'Truman Cells' inside these are rather expensive if they go out due to misuse/abuse/etc, so having a spare isn't bad. Also this one's so clean that I don't feel obligated to tear it completely down and scrub it. It's actually fine as-is.

UnhAgsmm.jpg

My old one lives on top of my Neo Geo.  One could argue that if I just ran that crt more, *it* would pull the dust out of the air and I wouldn't even need the purifier.  But...woodgrain is just so nice...  Also I once had my house's main heating coil consume itself, nearly instantly filling my entire living space with smoke but a little (much less capable) electrostatic cleaner pulled that out of the air in just a few hours...once I remembered I had a fan with that 'ion' setting a couple days after the incident.

tpH0IAem.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Decent lil' haul from the thrift store today! Got a laugh out of it... the games locked in the case were licensed fare like Zhu-Zhu pets, & some Wii shovelware. But out on the shelf proper? These! 20210626_130325.thumb.jpg.220c8f4437cd332c19e0963470222fc6.jpg

There were some other decent titles too, but The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) & Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3) don't really appeal to me. Thought about grabbing Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) for trade-in at Gamestop, but opted to leave it as a deal for someone else. I'm happy with what I got!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

Decent lil' haul from the thrift store today! Got a laugh out of it... the games locked in the case were licensed fare like Zhu-Zhu pets, & some Wii shovelware. But out on the shelf proper? These! 20210626_130325.thumb.jpg.220c8f4437cd332c19e0963470222fc6.jpg

There were some other decent titles too, but The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) & Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3) don't really appeal to me. Thought about grabbing Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) for trade-in at Gamestop, but opted to leave it as a deal for someone else. I'm happy with what I got!

Goodwill? That sounds about right. I've seen sports games and shovelware behind the counter or in the case while actual games were just on the shelf.

2 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Goodwill? That sounds about right. I've seen sports games and shovelware behind the counter or in the case while actual games were just on the shelf.

Deseret Industries, actually- the Goodwill I have easiest access to bizarrely has no media outside of books. No CDs, no DVDs, nothing. It's WEIRD.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

Deseret Industries, actually- the Goodwill I have easiest access to bizarrely has no media outside of books. No CDs, no DVDs, nothing. It's WEIRD.

That is the way our Goodwill stores in the area have been the last several years. There isn't a single DVD. At one point, both of the stores close to me had a sign up directing you to the auction site for anything computer or game related.

This seems to be a regional thing. People seem to be able to find things in other parts of the country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/27/2021 at 7:00 AM, cybercylon said:

This seems to be a regional thing. People seem to be able to find things in other parts of the country.

I think other stores around have media still, but it has been a bit since I was in a different Goodwill. It's REALLY disappointing, it's right next to the bus stop & everything!

• Sad 1

On sunday I dropped $30 at a flea market as I had a few hours.  I kind of was surprised, $10 of that got me a pair of (needed external clean up) 100% blemish free working SNES Classic Edition(wii jack) controllers (value $25/ea) I'm keeping as backups, also DK jungle beat cib and a loose ridge racer 64 too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

I think other stores around have media still, but it has been a bit since I was in a different Goodwill. It's REALLY disappointing, it's right next to the bus stop & everything!

Our Goodwill is Pathetic!  I mean they may have DVDs and even records, but the only video games they have are the same ones they always have:  Lots of copies of Madden and MLB on PS2, maybe a Wii Fit, and Kinect Adventures on whatever that is...They even pretty much told me (any good) games are now all on their auction site.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

I find most of my good finds literally on the streets of brooklyn.   Thrift stores are difficult, especially with all the moronic youtube attention bores.

I popped around some second hand shops in Brooklyn and only found ridiculously overpriced clothing and trinkets (no games). Like a single wax pack of tmnt topps cards for $25 (when you can get an entire box of em for that much on eBay). Highlight of my trip right there ? haha

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mitkraft said:

@bluejay I have one of those.  I keep meaning to put an intel board in it and turn it into a hakintosh.

Neat! I found an $8 Samsung SyncMaster 927mb monitor and put together a temporary setup, using some old usb keyboards and mice laying around.

598C6F4A-9709-4F68-8905-0486ECC74E8E.thumb.jpeg.69c0f4fe0595d0570aa980078c84c833.jpeg

I want to set up an Ethernet connection so I can browse the internet, but turns out that wasn’t as simple as plugging in a cable. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, bluejay said:

Sort of a thrift find; it was an online ad posted by an “antique shop” which was more like a shed full of old electronics. 

BD650F1A-FF74-4ABA-9C8C-E3456291EAE8.jpeg

Those G4s are a great option for Mac OS Classic gaming as long as you've got one that can boot OS 9.1. I've got one myself!

• Like 5

Disregarding a few pick ups from dedicated used video game stores, these are my two best game-related thrift finds from recent weeks:

- The jumping Mario is from the 1989 Applause line of Nintendo figurines. Similar to the one SMB3 Happy Meal toy, except without the racoon ears/tail. It was in a small $5 bag of toys, and MAN, I knew immediately it was coming home with me. I come across Mario/Nintendo stuff all the time, but vintage items (specifically 1980s to early-90s), not nearly as often as I'd prefer. Side note: the Batman (Michael Keaton dress-up version!) figure and Burger King Superman cup holder fig seen in the background were from a different $5 toy bag found at the same time/place as Mario. The Batman, I still have my childhood one buried away somewhere (this one immediately became a nice display piece), but the Supes cup holder, THAT'S something I've really been wanting for years. I had one when I was a kid, but it disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Mario was the big find here, but the Superman wasn't exactly a chump acquisition either.

- A carded Coleco Pac-Man figurine! Blinky, obviously. Despite the card being a little rough/worn/etc. (particularly the bottom-left corner, as you can see), I was perfectly okay with the $12 price tag. (I was able to get that green sticker off easily and without damage, BTW. The Revco one, however, stays - mainly because I absolutely want it to.) Like Mario, I was supremely stoked to find this; and actually, despite being at another location, this was at the same chain as Mario - considering they were only found two days apart, I wouldn't be surprised if they both came from the same person originally, and they were just separated at wherever this stuff is divvied up before being sent to the retail locations.

marioapplausefig1989.png

pacfig1982.png

• Like 5

Well I don't have any pictures, but I found some pretty good bargains at a Vintage Stock a few days ago!

$1 PS3 games 

Diablo 3
Dead Island GOTY

Assassin's Creed 3

Infamous

Also a copy of a Quantum Break book (based on the game) for $1.

They had some sorta deal for buying multiple used items, so I ended up getting it all for under $5~

• Like 2

I haven't posted in here for a while, mainly because I haven't been collecting much. Hell, I haven't really been playing much either! Been busy with other hobbies and a new puppy for most of 2021. Speaking of other hobbies, I found myself out vinyl hunting over the weekend, and at a local antique mall, I spotted a case of reasonably priced video games. Looking over the case, I saw a few SMS titles, so I asked the guy at the counter if he could open it up. He did, and one game caught my eye:

Q5cbLKtl.jpg

I've wanted this "demake" of Sonic the Hedgehog ever since seeing it in game magazines in the early 90's. It's always been a curiosity to me, and it's a pretty fun game. I don't think I've ever seen it in the wild, so I had to snag it. It was $15, which isn't bad, and the cart is clean. I wish it still had the case, but that's ok. Glad to finally have this one in the collection after all these years. 

• Like 2