IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Nice, within the last 10 years I had the last SMS I've owned and I had that, sequel too, both great little games.  Difference is I had them complete, US one of Sonic too as it had the lame upc sticker(it was roached badly but there.)

Over the weekend I had a light bit of luck and Friday before it.  The other day a dollar got wii sports resort case, art, game (no manual) so that's nice.  The earlier grab was the pokemon emerald official guide for $15 which is a steal, also paid $6 for a mixed clear bag half price wasn't too attentive on which is rare as it had the Boo amiibo (worth like $40) and lucas too, a rayquaza pokemon toy and a aku aku funko figure.  Also they had both those best of pokemon red and yellow books for a few bucks too.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 7:36 PM, Silverfleet said:

Q5cbLKtl.jpg

I've wanted this "demake" of Sonic the Hedgehog ever since seeing it in game magazines in the early 90's. It's always been a curiosity to me, and it's a pretty fun game. I don't think I've ever seen it in the wild, so I had to snag it. It was $15, which isn't bad, and the cart is clean. I wish it still had the case, but that's ok. Glad to finally have this one in the collection after all these years. 

holy moly: https://www.pricecharting.com/game/sega-master-system/sonic-the-hedgehog

I don't believe this entirely tho b/c a quick ebay completed listing search shows ntsc loose copies for under $30...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

holy moly: https://www.pricecharting.com/game/sega-master-system/sonic-the-hedgehog

I don't believe this entirely tho b/c a quick ebay completed listing search shows ntsc loose copies for under $30...

Those are most likely the very common PAL versions.

For example I saved a lot of money by buying a PAL copy of Power Strike over the NTSC version despite the rom being exactly the same and no real visible difference on the cart itself.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Is there a way to tell if it's a US version loose without the case? Will it run faster because NTSC? I haven't had the chance to pop it in the ol' SMS yet. I am also skeptical of the Pricecharting value, because there aren't many sold listings and those that have sold were CIB with the UPC sticker vs. actually loose.

FWIW, I'm assuming this was a US/NTSC version judging by the other US titles I found it grouped with (Rescue Mission and Hang On/Safari Hunt). The seller's case was full of common stuff otherwise.

EDIT: I'm playing it now on my Genesis via Power Base Converter. Seems to be running at a normal speed.

Edited by Silverfleet
  • Like 1

The SMS is an oddball the games from PAL and US are like interchangeable.  I had numerous PAL only releases and ran them stock standard on my US SMS both systems I had, never had a sound, speed, etc issue, ever.

The difference between PAL and US dual releases, late ones, is nothing but a UPC sticker on the rear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silverfleet said:

Is there a way to tell if it's a US version loose without the case? Will it run faster because NTSC? I haven't had the chance to pop it in the ol' SMS yet. I am also skeptical of the Pricecharting value, because there aren't many sold listings and those that have sold were CIB with the UPC sticker vs. actually loose.

FWIW, I'm assuming this was a US/NTSC version judging by the other US titles I found it grouped with (Rescue Mission and Hang On/Safari Hunt). The seller's case was full of common stuff otherwise.

EDIT: I'm playing it now on my Genesis via Power Base Converter. Seems to be running at a normal speed.

The thing is that a PAL cart can look exactly like a NTSC one, other than some rarer PAL releases that used a blue label.

4 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

The thing is that a PAL cart can look exactly like a NTSC one, other than some rarer PAL releases that used a blue label.

Whatever it is, I bought it to play it! ?And it plays great. It has a much different feel than the Genesis version. It feels more like a Mario-style platformer in terms of how Sonic controls, but at the same time, it's still a Sonic game. Levels are even slightly different than the much more common Game Gear version. Overall, I'm just happy to have finally found a copy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The SMS is an oddball the games from PAL and US are like interchangeable.  I had numerous PAL only releases and ran them stock standard on my US SMS both systems I had, never had a sound, speed, etc issue, ever.

Interesting. I was always of the mindset that PAL games would run faster on an NTSC tv. Never came across any tho. 

I did recently find Rambo III for SMS at a used record shop w/box but didn’t pick it up. I think it was $15, and now that I have a light phaser that took me my entire life to get lol, I’m starting to think I should go back and see if it’s still there...

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:34 PM, fakecortex said:

Interesting. I was always of the mindset that PAL games would run faster on an NTSC tv. Never came across any tho. 

I did recently find Rambo III for SMS at a used record shop w/box but didn’t pick it up. I think it was $15, and now that I have a light phaser that took me my entire life to get lol, I’m starting to think I should go back and see if it’s still there...

A lot of SMS games not developed within PAL regions were not optimized for PAL and are in fact the exact same ROM as the NTSC version. 

• Thanks 1

I wish I could remember the amount of the PAL games I had, but as he said just above, probably had to do with not being developed there so it was left open ended to work in both spaces.  I had both of the Sonic games, both Streets of Rage, Spiderman, Golden Axe Warrior, that castlevania clone I always forget the name of, and there were others but I'm forgetting stuff now. :)

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:11 PM, Silverfleet said:

IIRC, Sega simply imported the PAL Sonic copies to the US to sell in stores in limited quantities. The carts themselves are identical; the difference lies in the clamshell boxes. The US SMS Sonic 1 clamshells have a US UPC sticker that covers the European UPC. That's the only way to know you have a US copy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently moved so my main source has been replaced by a notably inferior Goodwill- although they did finally get media back in, & I found a copy of Brink amongst the dvds! I didn't buy it, but it gives me hope.

I didn't buy this either, but it made me damn happy to see so I might as well share! (No, Teddy was not around.)20210802_140715.thumb.jpg.beb6c974a7323ba3abe86a5faa120ca1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This place needs a bit of hope for posts.

$40 investment

5-6hrs of organizing, separating, placing the parts with each to find almost all of them complete, a few missing 1 piece, only a couple loose(the raphs), then finding what names they were/year they released

It's worth over $1300 on the conservative sales side of ebay paid stuff.  Rare to get a hit in this area, unicorn horn at this level.

And yeah I'm keeping some, parting away some others, love the franchise and I rarely ever see the toys ever, let alone in like new shape like this.

Aug5-52-TMNTfind.jpg

• Like 2

^ those cards are sweet and hard to come by. This is one of my favorite toy lines (huge tmnt fan here). A future project of mine is to sit down and organize everything. I have a case full of all the weapons and accessories which I want to match up with my figures. 7 year-old me thought, I'll always remember what goes to who. 30 years later and I'm glad there's the internet to help me out, hahaha. Doesn't look like you need it, but for any shell-heads looking to match parts, http://tmnttoys.com/ is an awesome resource.

Pretty sweet haul, amazing at that price! That last guy in the bottom right might be from the 03 line, if he's tmnt...

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 11:20 PM, fakecortex said:

^ those cards are sweet and hard to come by. This is one of my favorite toy lines (huge tmnt fan here). A future project of mine is to sit down and organize everything. I have a case full of all the weapons and accessories which I want to match up with my figures. 7 year-old me thought, I'll always remember what goes to who. 30 years later and I'm glad there's the internet to help me out, hahaha. Doesn't look like you need it, but for any shell-heads looking to match parts, http://tmnttoys.com/ is an awesome resource.

Pretty sweet haul, amazing at that price! That last guy in the bottom right might be from the 03 line, if he's tmnt...

Sweet, that's the site I found after using another that was lacking.  I've already done my first pre-sorting thing of keep vs sell as I want to keep a decent number.  Some I'm just put off by.  The sports one, have a friend who wants the crockett looking scout, don't like the flip over 3 mutatin turtles either, the tmnt3 movie duo, the caddilacs and dino figure.  Heavily thinking over the camel and giraffe, they're worth a lot, but worth nothing to me other than a goofy thing to stare at as I don't remember them from tv at all.

Went back the next day, found a bunch of first/2nd series 2.5" pvc digimon characters (30~) of them for around $15.  Those are being a bit aggravating to try and figure out names/dates on some of them I think due to variants from the factory and a lack of a useful site I could find listing them with NAME and PICTURE.  Found one genius who did a spreadsheet with text, but if you don't know the character it's utterly useless.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Heavily thinking over the camel and giraffe, they're worth a lot, but worth nothing to me other than a goofy thing to stare at as I don't remember them from tv at all.

Sandstorm and Halfcourt! I love those guys b/c they fall in the fun category of characters that are toy only (not in the cartoon or comics...at least for now, haha). I was always fascinated by these types of characters as a kid b/c I was always waiting for them to show up in an episode, but alas, no. They live in a special tmnt sub-universe in my brain where everyone is a toy and there are new crazy adventures.

But if they mean nothin to ya, I don't blame ya for sellin em. I agree with you on some of those others, especially the 3rd movie and some mutations (although if you find a bebop and rocksteady auto-mutations, those are sweet b/c you can see them as humans). Good luck with those other figs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Sandstorm and Halfcourt! I love those guys b/c they fall in the fun category of characters that are toy only (not in the cartoon or comics...at least for now, haha). I was always fascinated by these types of characters as a kid b/c I was always waiting for them to show up in an episode, but alas, no. They live in a special tmnt sub-universe in my brain where everyone is a toy and there are new crazy adventures.

But if they mean nothin to ya, I don't blame ya for sellin em. I agree with you on some of those others, especially the 3rd movie and some mutations (although if you find a bebop and rocksteady auto-mutations, those are sweet b/c you can see them as humans). Good luck with those other figs.

For now, I'm keeping them, and more than half the figures:

http://tanooki.great-site.net/tmnt.html

That's what I've decided to keep for now at least.  I'm not desperate for money or feel a need to dump them either.  At this point I'd probably eat it on the missing pieces I have more or less for the few that aren't complete, largely Raph since he's nearly bare.  I came into this having Slash complete and Leo recently found missing that hooked blade but all otherwise.  Had Splinter a few years back, sold him never finding stuff and this one now is much nicer and complete not 1/3 complete.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 2:37 PM, Tanooki said:

Well this is dead again isn't it?

I wonder, do we find and not bother, or is it really getting more dry?

I haven't been to a thrift since right at the beginning of the pandemic.

Hard to go when I can't work and I can't walk :)

On 8/6/2021 at 10:25 PM, Tanooki said:

It's worth over $1300 on the conservative sales side of ebay paid stuff.

Well dang, time to sell mine.

We've got a whole ton of those "Mighty Max" style sets, too. Our mom must've found a bunch on clearance, but we had kind of outgrown toys at that point, and barely played with them.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 1:51 AM, Asaki said:

I haven't been to a thrift since right at the beginning of the pandemic.

Hard to go when I can't work and I can't walk :)

Well dang, time to sell mine.

We've got a whole ton of those "Mighty Max" style sets, too. Our mom must've found a bunch on clearance, but we had kind of outgrown toys at that point, and barely played with them.

I’ve got one mighty max micro head set thing still on the card back but that’s trashed.  

tmnt though is just hot not masters of the universe hot or transformers but some of them are just wow. See what you have it couldn’t hurt. Seems to be the off type ones for the universal monsters or stuff made up as a toy only or from a one comic/tv spot character that add up.