IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Each jewel case was a dollar, manuals were mostly $1-2, but one of them was $5... whatever.  If you know your stuff, you can probably see the winner in this image by a landslide.  There was little goodwill at that goodwill that day with those antics, but I got the last laugh. :D

pcfindsept1721.jpg

I must not know my stuff. Is there anything extremely valuable/rare pictures there? Fallout Trilogy ($30 used), Doom Utilities / W!Zone? (I assumed these free-ware discs were ever present)

Those DOOM finds are pretty sweet, if I was to collect anything for PC it would be classics like those.

Also, Last couple months of thrift finds, not anything too crazy, but I did see CRTs for the first time at a thrift store in ages which I have very barely seen in my area. Got a smaller one for smash bros. events. Also went by a garage sale for the first time in a long time earlier and did grab a Wii box, it was only really exciting since I wanted a spare one for Smash Bros. purposes, and I offered slightly too much since I didn't know ebay prices, but it was nice to see gaming items.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_mi2YLWEAMNO5E?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_lx4x6XEAAGwjF?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_CNjw_XMAMFB0W?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8xfYt9XIAIzQ24?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6G9PVyWUAYhvXR?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

I must not know my stuff. Is there anything extremely valuable/rare pictures there? Fallout Trilogy ($30 used), Doom Utilities / W!Zone? (I assumed these free-ware discs were ever present)

Black manual is worth at least $50+  It is from the original retail boxed floppy disk release of the game Doom.  The used box set these days is worth around $400, so you kind of just have to poke around to figure out what the floppies cost, and the box, then the manual factors in there.  There has been one on ebay not selling for about $80 shipped, but going by the averages of the other items I know it is worth at least $50.

I don't buy into it, but the purple doom ghetto disc there is from the UK and supposedly to the right specific person worth quite a bit, to me it seems like another crap $10 doom tools disc, but I found one sale into the crazy zone on that with asking prices 75-85 shipped from europe, and some weenie in the US trying to con people out of $300 for it.  So that's why I said one item, the manual is a known.

Doom II Survival Guide is like $10-20, Doom II manual is wide at $10-25 and I've got all the special inserts for both copies (and with the CD keeping one of them), Fallout is just a $10-15 game, W!Zone I'm keeping but the same, Warcraft also the same too. The outpost games are like $5 titles, I intend to try those out, looks like simcity in space.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

@Tanooki, thanks. I had no idea manuals for PC games got into insane prices. I was aware of some of the NES/SNES manuals and strategy guides go for a pretty penny, but I figured the most sought after and rare PC stuff would be the gold box D&D stuff.

nice find.

PC has been at it probably as long as if not longer than when Nintendo first started getting speculator toxic about a decade ago.  Typically it's the late end of the 80s into the early-mid 90s stuff, in most of the cases a 'big box' as well. They tended to come with large printed manuals, code wheels(etc for copy protection), extra clue books/guides, various maps, printed specs(like the big ship ones for Wing Commander), full on made up book/magazines(again like CLAW MARKS in Wing Commander) posters, trinkets, other odds and ends goodies.  Most the time some/all of that gets lost, usually before the box since it's best to keep your floppies safe.  The more high profile the stuff usually adds up, but also the underdog coveted overlooked solid stuff sometimes is too, it's not really particular about it.  I've got a basic one for instance, the DOS versions of Simpsons Arcade Game which is its green box, an insert to hold stuff in place, a disk or two depending on version, a simple black and white(color cover) manual, and a couple basic inserts for like warranty or whatever...that's it.  It's worth like $150-300 range depending on condition of it all and it's on the minimalist end not having all the fluff, pedigree (konami game based on acade) sells it that high.

On 9/18/2021 at 5:55 PM, FireStar said:

Those DOOM finds are pretty sweet, if I was to collect anything for PC it would be classics like those.

Also, Last couple months of thrift finds, not anything too crazy, but I did see CRTs for the first time at a thrift store in ages which I have very barely seen in my area. Got a smaller one for smash bros. events. Also went by a garage sale for the first time in a long time earlier and did grab a Wii box, it was only really exciting since I wanted a spare one for Smash Bros. purposes, and I offered slightly too much since I didn't know ebay prices, but it was nice to see gaming items.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_mi2YLWEAMNO5E?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_lx4x6XEAAGwjF?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_CNjw_XMAMFB0W?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8xfYt9XIAIzQ24?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6G9PVyWUAYhvXR?format=jpg&name=large

Nice score on a Dreamcast controller... also I have Dare Devil Derby 3D... it's pretty bad. lol

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a thrift store where they were selling games for $3. Picked up a copy of Virtua Fighter 4 for PS2.  They also had a PS2 with 2 controllers and all the cables, but the man at the counter said he wanted $100. I passed. I don't think he had tested it to see if it works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been having TV set luck lately, a couple of weeks ago at a garage sale I got a Dynex DX-L15-10A for $10. It's a 15" 720p (1366 x 768) with S-Video, component, VGA, HDMI, and an ATSC tuner. It's like the ultimate bench TV for fixing video games. And I already had a spare Dynex remote.

Also during the garage sale weekend I got another mid-size panel for a dollar. Its power light flashes for a moment and it doesn't turn on. I'm suspecting it needs a power supply cap replacement, and it's probably also 720p. Worst case, I take it apart for fun. And yesterday I found for free a Vizio VP-322, it's 720p but it's a plasma set! I thought it looked a bit thick for LCD.

And I got a few more ink jet printers to take apart when I feel like destructing things.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Tomlin said:

I've been having TV set luck lately, a couple of weeks ago at a garage sale I got a Dynex DX-L15-10A for $10. It's a 15" 720p (1366 x 768) with S-Video, component, VGA, HDMI, and an ATSC tuner. It's like the ultimate bench TV for fixing video games. And I already had a spare Dynex remote.

Also during the garage sale weekend I got another mid-size panel for a dollar. Its power light flashes for a moment and it doesn't turn on. I'm suspecting it needs a power supply cap replacement, and it's probably also 720p. Worst case, I take it apart for fun. And yesterday I found for free a Vizio VP-322, it's 720p but it's a plasma set! I thought it looked a bit thick for LCD.

And I got a few more ink jet printers to take apart when I feel like destructing things.

I do find that plasma TVs look better for classic consoles than LCD. If I only had space for a single TV that would probably be what I would choose. But I have enough space for a CRT as well as an HDTV (mine currently is LCD though).

• Like 1

Sealed PC budget-cardboard-sleeve titles, 8 for $20 shipped

This was on ebay vs thrifts, and was a buy-it-now that had been going for a while,

so I'm probably the only one who doesn't think I overpaid ;)

I got a budget Renegade, to match the big-box one a page back, and who doesn't have fond memories of Megarace's Lance Boyle?

z8iXzoHm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Sealed PC budget-cardboard-sleeve titles, 8 for $20 shipped

This was on ebay vs thrifts, and was a buy-it-now that had been going for a while,

so I'm probably the only one who doesn't think I overpaid ;)

I got a budget Renegade, to match the big-box one a page back, and who doesn't have fond memories of Megarace's Lance Boyle?

z8iXzoHm.jpg

MegaRace is interesting. Not the best game... but it sure is interesting. 

• Haha 1

Found a decent bit of 360 games today, the more expensive ones were the ones missing manuals but I decided to get them anyways...

Also found an LCD etch a sketch animator, apparently the succesor for it was like a game console?! There's always some obscure game console you've never heard of.

Finally, I also found a golden cousin to the TI SR-51-II calculator I've had for a while, I'll have to use a power supply to see if it works still although it looks like someone tampered with it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCaNpg4WUAEIKLi?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBw_NJMX0AAxaSg?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 4

An eBay surprise, Flight Simulator 5.0 sealed in shrinkwrap for (~$10 shipped)

So many fond memories--granted I was quite young, so most of them were of ramming planes into the Sears Tower.

I don't think I'm going to open this one. It's a bit too special for that and I especially love price tags.

eGyXccPm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

Found a couple official PS3 controllers for around $2 each. 

Just gotta clean and test them~

DualShock3 or the super old Sixaxis? Man, those things were so light, since they were essentially hallow lol. I held out on buying a PS3 until the DualShock3 came out, cause I knew it was just a matter of time. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 9:27 PM, fakecortex said:

DualShock3 or the super old Sixaxis? Man, those things were so light, since they were essentially hallow lol. I held out on buying a PS3 until the DualShock3 came out, cause I knew it was just a matter of time. 

Best I can tell they are both the DualShock3. Unfortunately one of them isn't charging, so I'll be giving it away in a freebie thread whenever I get a chance. It works when plugged in, but it doesn't seem to want to charge or hold a charge. Unsure if it's the port or just the battery. I don't really feel like messing with it, so it'll be someone else's gain. LOL

This same day I found these, I also found a really nice Wii bundle for next to nothing! ($15) Didn't come with any Wiimotes, but it had all the cables and was really clean (especially compared to the one I had) and even had all the little doors. No pictures of the Wii at the moment though. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I found some craziness at my usual junk store. 

They had a bunch of box PC games. A few big box but mostly the smaller box. Pretty big variety. 

received_1261887261001163.thumb.jpeg.22837042a5da529a6041b4be48e8ae95.jpeg

received_674750470358080.thumb.jpeg.8928d69971ff1979f1564cb215aa1ca0.jpeg

I ended up buying this Voodoo video card. Label says Voodoo MSMT467 on back. Box was full and complete best I could tell. 

PXL_20211208_192855450.thumb.jpg.6b9851eae7c8532af9ca78c09969aa47.jpg

If anybody who sees the Voodoo card is interested, hit me up. I have no need but figured someone here might wanna buy it? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

So I found some craziness at my usual junk store. 

They had a bunch of box PC games. A few big box but mostly the smaller box. Pretty big variety. 

received_1261887261001163.thumb.jpeg.22837042a5da529a6041b4be48e8ae95.jpeg

received_674750470358080.thumb.jpeg.8928d69971ff1979f1564cb215aa1ca0.jpeg

I ended up buying this Voodoo video card. Label says Voodoo MSMT467 on back. Box was full and complete best I could tell. 

PXL_20211208_192855450.thumb.jpg.6b9851eae7c8532af9ca78c09969aa47.jpg

If anybody who sees the Voodoo card is interested, hit me up. I have no need but figured someone here might wanna buy it? 

It may be interested in the voodoo. Do have a better pic / more info?

I'm looking for one of the later models.

Thanks!

On 12/8/2021 at 7:28 PM, Tanooki said:

@KeeperofLindblum Did you take a peek at any of those PC box contents?  I'd have picked up that WC Prophecy if it was all there.  Same goes with that Warcraft Battle Chest.  Do you remember what prices they had?

@Tanooki I wish I did, but I honestly don't remember any exact prices. 

I think all the PC titles ranged anywhere from like $10 to $30. They were all over on pricing (and too much for most of them IMO). 

I really should go back as I spotted a few oddities that might be worth something. I won't say what the titles are, but trust me anybody who goes should grab them if it's all still there. 

On 12/8/2021 at 3:21 PM, H454 said:

It may be interested in the voodoo. Do have a better pic / more info?

I'm looking for one of the later models.

Thanks!

I have more pictures on the thread where I've posted to sell it. 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/323920-interest-check-voodoo-msmt467/

I found a couple sites with info. This had the best details I could find.
https://www.buffalocomputerparts.com/products/intergraph-msmt467-intense-3d-voodoo-rush-6mb-pci-graphics-card?variant=12984390418485

To quote a response someone put on the interest thread...

The voodoo rush isn't the most desirable card compared to voodoo 2 thru 5 but still sought after and somewhat valuable.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 1

Ahh still at that range Prophecy could be still worth it even on the high end.

You know I keep not posting in here, and I've had this nuts run of the last 2 weeks because it has been raining NES carts.  I doubt anyone probably remembers how long it has been not since I posted local finds, but well NES games because I've outright avoided buying them for years because of the exploitation going on.  Oddly it seems they've kind of cooled which is weird, but hey I'm not complaining. :)

Between late November and now I had 4 different hits of luck, and honestly I could have snapped up more but stopped myself.  Most the games here ranged in the $5-10 range except for 3 ended up in the $15-20 range.  Between a few visits to a half price books, a walking distance consignment/pawn ($10 ea there), and a store I don't get to anymore across town (more expensive) I ended up with 13 NES games.

Code Name Viper, Milon, Gyruss, and Legendary Wings came out of the $10 place.  The distant one I got Ninja Gaiden w/manual and sleeve for $20 and Rad Racer with manual and 3d glasses with sleeve for $15 (the manual on one, glasses on other go for that alone.)  Then there's the likes of Tiny Toons, SUper Offroad, Goonies II, Double Dragon II.  Last night was the latest three with Pro Wrestling and Top Gun 2 with the person big one which was $20 though Kings Quest 5.  So much nice variety, and a mix of some new stuff and returns to possession.

nes-dec3-4.thumb.jpg.aab13bc8f07306f3376f709ffa015524.jpgnes-dec9.thumb.jpg.49079bfef259e325b272fc7d13eca4e1.jpgnov2021NESfinds.thumb.jpg.67fe768070dca4a65e827a0b837116a7.jpg

• Like 2