IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Havent posted here for ages with any brags. But this afternoon i found a 6 switch woody with boxed gorf, carnival, frogger and amidar. All in excellent condition. The sticks have hex's on the tip suggesting there should be a badge in there, never seen this on a pal Atari Wong

I haven't been thrifting at all for a while, but I stopped in a junk shop in west virginia today on a hunch and found the following for $35:

Atari 5200 4 port

power/RF adapter

5 common games

manuals (including the system manual in great shape except for having the original receipt stapled to it)

2 wico joysticks in box

Everything is the best condition that I've ever seen a 5200 in. There are a couple of minor issues like what appears to be glue from the plastic on the metal strip and one of the sticks not centering from one direction (I suspect a spring...will look at it this weekend) but overall it is pretty good stuff. The wicos look almost unused.

Picked these up at a garage sale today. I believe the rarest in the bunch is Diner for Intelly. There is also a top for the storage unit. Got it all for $14.

846479[/snapback]

Now that's a good haul! Diner is one of the best Intellivision games ever made! Congratulations!

I got a few rarer NES and SNES games Friday at the Gamecrazy 3 for $15 sale.

Yesterday I went to a semi-monthly (about every 6 weeks) computer show and got lots of stuff. I spent $20 on one dollar box alone which had PS1 and DC accessories in it. I got a bunch of 2X DC memory cards in assorted colors, some 2X PS1 memory cards in assorted colors, and some GB/GBA/GBC cart cases. Someone also had a bin full of generic 64 meg MMC cards for $10 each, so I bought two of them for my CC2s that needed them. Another dollar box purchase was a mother board with a flash chip on it. Later in the day I found another motherboard with an EPROM on it for a dollar or so.

I also got a Cisco 2503 router at the computer show for $25, and spent all evening after I got home configuring and upgrading it. It had 8M RAM and 8M flash (half the maximum), but I happened to have one of the right kind of SIMM in my box o' sticks and upgraded it to 16M RAM. I also put a newer version of IOS in it, finally settling on an 11.3 version.

The most interesting thrift store find yesterday was a Game Gear with leaky batteries in it for $4. I decided to open it up because I've never seen the inside of a GG before. I didn't expect to find an experiment in capillary chemistry, but the insides of that GG were completely psychedelic...

post-4828-1114969786_thumb.jpg

i had my best thrift find ever yesterday

i saw a bare sega saturn on a shelf for 30 bucks, not a good price

i open it up and see a copy of virtual on, however though the logo of the title looks correct, the rest of the disc bare, this is not an official copy, so i take the disc, and hunt around the rest of the store

in a basket full of stuff not put on shelves yet, i see a box with about 7 SNES sports games, blah, but also among these carts is saturn 5-in-1 cart. i know only hardcore saturn owners would own this thing, and the cart itself is worth 25 bucks new, so i take back over to the saturn and slide it in the slot. i take the whole package back to the basket, and find a transparent saturn import controller. this was way too cool to pass up, and the lack of a price tag on it, just allowed me to buy it with my 30 system. this is now a very good deal for me

so i take it home and test it, the system works fine, and the virtual on game works, but im still puzzled to the origin of this. it wasnt a CDR, but it certainly wasnt official either. so on a hunch i try one of my burned saturn games, low and behold it boots right up. i pull the 5-in-1 out to make sure it still works, and it does.

so i found a modded saturn system, a 5-in-1 cart to play imports, and transparent (skeleton i believe) controller for 30 bucks. probably by best thrift store find ever.

i already have a 5-in-1 and a modded saturn, but this is outstanding trade bait in the future :D

oh, and at another thrift, i find an NES deck with Bill Elliot's nascar for 10 bucks. it was just a good day in general

3 dirty dwarfs for 10 bucks complete.

847508[/snapback]

What has the world come to... Buying 3 growth stunted individuals for 10 bucks... and not even bathed either. sigh...

I picked up Cubivore for 10 bucks though.

Who would donate a modded Saturn to a Thrift Store?

848843[/snapback]

Who would sell me a Neo Geo with 2 arcade sticks and 2 complete boxed games for 20 bucks 5 years ago? The lady at the flea market who had no clue what it was... Eh, it happens. Not often enough in my opinion though, lol.

The stores I usually find stuff in have been dry lately. At other stores I never really find anything in, I found a few things. Nothing great, but at least I didn't go home empty-handed like I have been lately.

A WICO Computer Command joystick, $2.98. It's done in an early eighties color scheme (beige, dark brown, and bright red). Kinda ugly, but it works.

A stack of Atari 400/800 computer cassettes. All 50¢ each.

Writing Programs One and Two

Introduction to Sound

States and Capitals

Introduction to Graphics

Graph It™ Cassette A and B

European Countries & Capitals

Touch Typing

Spanish-About You

An Invitation to Programming

Found a little more stuff today.

A 1st generation Sega Genesis (with the DB-9 port on the back marked EXT), attached to a 1st generation Sega CD player, $8.98. It didn't come with anything else, so I need to scrounge up some power supplies and test the thing, to see if it's working. And to see if there's a disc inside the unit. A lot of the time, there's a game inside these CD based game consoles.

A wireless joystick called The Blaster. I have no idea what console it's for. It looks like a common Atari 2600 type stick, except there's no wire to plug it in, and no RF port for wireless connection. There's a 9v battery port on the bottom, and the two fire buttons on the base are marked "Laser beam" and "Nuclear Bomb". If you guys have any info about this thing, or possibly the transmitter that plugs into the console itself, I'd love to know.

Behind the counter at another thrift was a shoebox of Odyssey2 cartridges. I picked up K.C. Munchkin!, Thunderball!, and Monkeyshines!. There was also a Quest For The Rings, but without the game board and pieces, it's really not worth playing, from everything I've heard. They had several more games, but they were all labeled $4.98 (Holy cow!), so I passed on getting any others. But at least they ended up ringing up 30% off at the register.

I looked over the video tape rack, and picked up something I've never seen before. It was a tape called "Sesame Street Let's Play School". What's so amazing about that, you might ask? Because the top of the tape is labeled "View-Master InteractiveVision Program". This is a video for View-Master's rare little interactive game console that came and went in the late '80s. I'd like to get one of those, just for my collection. So now I have something to do with the thing if I ever find one again (I'd seen one about 6 or 7 years back, but had no idea what it was).

What's so amazing about that, you might ask? Because the top of the tape is labeled "View-Master InteractiveVision Program". This is a video for View-Master's rare little interactive game console that came and went in the late '80s. I'd like to get one of those, just for my collection. So now I have something to do with the thing if I ever find one again (I'd seen one about 6 or 7 years back, but had no idea what it was).

I didn't realize that those were rare. I've had one for a while, but really haven't played with it yet. I think that there's a tape in there so I can mess with it in the future. I also collect Viewmaster reels, and when I saw this device with the Viewmaster name, I couldn't pass it up. Any ideas what these are worth today?

I'd doubt that they're worth a whole lot, since they're such lame game consoles. But the videotapes are probably fairly rare, considering they involve Sesame Street and the Muppets, and there's all sorts of collectors of those kinds of things out there. And from what I've read, after all these years, there's not much of a chance of these things working too well anymore, considering the life expectancy of magnetic media like video tapes.

They're a little more rare than the Action Max, at least. I've seen a few of those in my years, but only one View-Master InteractiveVision. And that was in a box of unidentifiable junk.

I've always liked the look of the console, though. They really did a good design job on it, to make it stand out from the crowd of game consoles on the market. The joystick is pretty unique looking too, but I've read that it's not all that comfortable to use.

Like I said, if I ever come across another one of those machines, I'm going to jump on it. Along with an Action Max. I've got three tapes for that one, but no console to use them with. I still think that they're pretty unique little collector's items, oddball branches in the great videogame console family tree.