IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I might have a loose breakaway floating around here... I seem to remember grabbing one at the local thrift as a 'just in case' kinda thing. I can look for it if you want.

Thanks, but it's okay. I have three fully working XBox controllers and only ever use one anyway. I'll grab one of those to use to test the controller probably.

Also, we were on the way to an early family Christmas get together and saw a sign for a new game shop while on the way there. On the way back, we stopped in. It's a small place but they had a lot of old stuff. Most interesting stuff in the store was a four port 5200, a Nomad, a Neo Geo arcade, and a World of Nintendo display case. I bought two 2600 games (Ms Pac Man and Moon Patrol) for $5. I was telling the guy about my recent PS2 acquisition (see above post) and how I was trying to fix it and he gave me a parts PS2 for free. So... now I have more stuff to play with trying to get working. lol I'll check it out more thoroughly later and may be able to make a working whole out of two parts.

• Like 2

Nothing game related but I did score a Kenwood Spectrum 700 stereo system for $20. It has a cabinet, large speakers and multiple stacking components including the receiver, 5 CD changer, tuner, amplifier, phono and dual cassette deck. It sounds fantastic and is in near mint condition.

• Like 4

I don't remember any model numbers, but I used to have a great Kenwood stereo... had the amp, graphic equalizer, tuner, and cassette deck. I added a Kenwood cartridge style CD changer and some big Cerwin Vega speakers. It was pretty awesome and would easily rattle windows. Then lightning struck my apartment and fried it. Ended up putting the stereo on the sidewalk for anyone to have and sold the speakers to a pawn shop for like $50. :sad:

Well yesterday I didn't mention it but I did happen to actually find games at a goodwill (around here they refuse to use that website) on the way to pick my kid up. $4/ea ended up with 6 N64 carts (5 games, + Gameshark3.0) Mario Party 2, Zelda Ocarina of Time(PCver), Paper Mario, Gex 3, and Pokemon Stadium. They had looked a little shabby but good labels, but a little of light work with my kit and they look very clean inside and out. I haven't had Paper Mario in probably 10 years or so and never had a MP2 cart before (or Gex either.) Not sure what I'll do with them at this rate as they look like they could be fun.

I'm curious if that Gameshark 3.0 is any good though, I mean it works, and you can add codes to some internal storage which is nice, but can it handle late release stuff? Mario Party 1 is on the inside but not the other I have, nor are other later 1999-200X stuff like Res Evil, Ridge Racer, Mega Man, etc.

Certainly not a thrift find, but I just discovered that the Griswold cast iron pan that came with the house is over 100 years old. I was looking forward to cleaning it up and cooking with it tonight, but now I'm having second thoughts...

On one hand, it's not worth that much money, but on the other hand it probably has 100 years of food particles stuck to it...

@_@

Certainly not a thrift find, but I just discovered that the Griswold cast iron pan that came with the house is over 100 years old. I was looking forward to cleaning it up and cooking with it tonight, but now I'm having second thoughts...

On one hand, it's not worth that much money, but on the other hand it probably has 100 years of food particles stuck to it...

@_@

After clearing off the rust lube it with cooking oil. Wash the pan as you would a Wok, leave the oil film to season and prevent rust. I even do this for Teflon coated pans.

I've wanted one of these things for awhile. This year I decided to skip having a sale and go to the sales since I live in the biggest yard sale for hundreds of miles. I went out early and seen this TV on the curb in front of a house having a sale. I walked up and sure enough it was a Trinitron. I asked the guy if it worked and he told me his neighbor put it out there and for free and said it did work, they just upgraded all their TV's. He plugged in it and it turned on so I took it, well had him save it for me.

I have not ran anything on it yet so hopefully it has good sound and all. This thing is a beast! I know people said these weighed a ton but I did not comprehend LOL. The screen diagonal is 27". My back is not the greatest these days, that is why it is on a dolly cart. Still deciding if I want to beast this thing in my basement or leave it in the garage.

Have you tried any light guns on this TV? NES, PS1, Dreamcast, Sega, etc.

Have you tried any light guns on this TV? NES, PS1, Dreamcast, Sega, etc.

I just gave away a super-nice 30 inch Sony Wega that was SWEET for CRT gaming. BUT... Light guns did NOT work well on it since it was sort'a the last of the tube TVs and was HD before everything went flat screen. That thing weighed a TON and had every input on it a classic gamer could want other than maybe SCART. It had the remote and everything and an awesome picture but I just couldn't justify the space anymore.

• Like 1

After clearing off the rust lube it with cooking oil. Wash the pan as you would a Wok, leave the oil film to season and prevent rust.

It didn't really seem rusty, it just had what looked like some antique food crusties stuck on. Scrubbed it real good with salt, gave it a quick soaping, and it ended up looking quite a bit safer.

I am aware of seasoning, I gave it about three coats, but I was not aware of how smokey the process is >_< The house still smells like a fish fry.

Steaks came out alright, it will definitely be a learning process for me. Also need to get something a bit more rugged to clean it with, the little plastic scraper I used was less than ideal. Also need to get one of those handle mitt things, because I will probably never learn to not touch the handle bare-handed =)

I've never used a wok before.

Edited by Asaki

I had a Sony WEGA/Trinitron around 10 years ago now before going to LCD and I never had an issue running light guns on it either -- Zapper, Phaser(SMS), or the random guns for Dreamcast either. I didn't think there were Trinitrons that couldn't run a light gun unless they had that branding on a CRT HDTV. That thing was a beast as I had one that weighed probably 100-150lbs whatever it was in a 29 or 32" tv, forget the size. It died on me in the early days of the Wii as I had gone from between composite and component cables noticing the more sharp image quality in Twilight Princess with it.

It didn't really seem rusty, it just had what looked like some antique food crusties stuck on. Scrubbed it real good with salt, gave it a quick soaping, and it ended up looking quite a bit safer.

I am aware of seasoning, I gave it about three coats, but I was not aware of how smokey the process is >_< The house still smells like a fish fry.

Steaks came out alright, it will definitely be a learning process for me. Also need to get something a bit more rugged to clean it with, the little plastic scraper I used was less than ideal. Also need to get one of those handle mitt things, because I will probably never learn to not touch the handle bare-handed =)

I've never used a wok before.

I haven't grilled a steak in years. I have been using a Lodge cast iron skillet instead, and I'm convinced there's no better way to cook a steak. I usually cook on one side until the sides are brown, then flip it and cook for another few minutes. Perfect every time.

I haven't grilled a steak in years. I have been using a Lodge cast iron skillet instead, and I'm convinced there's no better way to cook a steak. I usually cook on one side until the sides are brown, then flip it and cook for another few minutes. Perfect every time.

What is your idea of perfect? Rare, Medium, well? I'm intrigued by the idea of cooking a steak on a cast iron skillet but I prefer my steaks well done.

Ran into Target the other day and they were fire saling some Wii u games for 9.98. I snagged New Super Mario Wii U and Donkey Kong Country. I sense the end is nigh for Wii U retail so good time to keep an eye out for deals.

Thanks for the tip about Target. I stopped at the strip-mall near my workplace and I decided to duck into target quick to take a look. The video game clearance section didn't have any WiiU titles, but mixed in with the dozens of Madden '17s, I snagged these discounted gems:

F2FD5F23-AC92-5DC1-ED13290140EA09BB.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip about Target. I stopped at the strip-mall near my workplace and I decided to duck into target quick to take a look. The video game clearance section didn't have any WiiU titles, but mixed in with the dozens of Madden '17s, I snagged these discounted gems:

F2FD5F23-AC92-5DC1-ED13290140EA09BB.png

I've scored many deals out of the clearance bins at Target over the years. I actually bought that Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 out of there about a month ago!

• Like 2

Medium well here too or well done just not to the point of chewy shoe leather consistency.

Well my dad's steaks when he first got his stainless-steel frying pan tasted, looked like and felt like leather...

99 cents at goodwill. Air Hogs Star Wars Tie Advanced Zero Gravity toy they're only around $20~ these days, but when it came out 3 years ago they went for closer to $100 if I remember right. Wanted one then but too much for a little toy to me. :)

Had old batteries (no leak) in enough to know the gears/fan worked as did the remote. Got it home, found a video from the maker how to use and charge it and amazingly it worked. It's cool running this around on a wall.