IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Had a good weekend for finds.

Gameboy Advance SP Lime Colored <~Traded a dupe Wii game, and a 360 game for it.

NES System, RF Switch, 1 Controller, 1 Zapper <~Free from a lady because the pawn wouldn't take it without a AC adapter. I asked her what she wanted for it when she was walking out, and she just gave it to me. Works great

Urban Champion NES 3.00

Cybernoid NES Traded two dupe NES games for it.

Monster Truck Madness NIB Gameboy Advance 12.00

Shinobi II Game Gear 1.99

Halley Wars Game Gear 1.99

Dark Wizard loose Sega CD .99

Tomcat Alley CIB Sega CD .99

A swell day for thrifting - and not just because it's 62 degrees in Chicago in November. ;) I got a couple of deals inside the store's since it's half-price day, but I found some great stuff while driving down the street. There was a lady putting various familiar shaped things by the trash, so I got a ton of great fun freebies!

Thrift:

Zelda board game - $1

N64 - Killer Instinct - $1

NES Little Mermaid - $2

NES Cabal - $2

SNES Primal Rage - $2

SNES Shaq-Fu - $2

SNES Mortal Kombat 3 - $2

SNES Royal Rumble - $1 (what was I thinking?)

There were at least a dozen more sports SNES titles, but I'm not a big fan. Maybe if they were like 90 percent off. ;)

SNES console - $3

ton of old cassingles - .25 ea.

reel to reel home recorded tapes - $1 ea.

Garbagepicked (i.e. FREE!):

Craftsman 12 v cordless drill - hacked to be corded after battery pack died!

JVC VHS-C camera with many access, and a half dozen tapes

JVC S-VHS deck - I still use these professionally, and are still great to have around

A nice looking Sony Playstation Dual Analog controller, the first analog controller Sony ever made. before the dual shock line. SCHP-1110

Turns out I don't have a single game that can "use" this controller according to a few FAQ's I found via Google but I'll give a few Dual Shock compatible games a try. Has analog and digital switch. Supposedly it uses potentiometer rather than rotary encoder or hall effect sensors.

Didn't find any on eBay (current or past) and found little info other than a small list of supported games.

Oh yeah paid only 99 cents :love: :love: :love:

Uzumaki, do you want to keep that stick, or do you want to trade or sell it?

I found an odd little shop in Portland where I picked up some 3DO goodness

Shockwave 2

Need for Speed

Alone in the Dark

all complete, for $9

Also picked up GTA III for the PS2, complete, with manual and what appears to be a poster. It will be the first one of these GTA games I've ever played.

That was $4.50 at Gamestop

A nice looking Sony Playstation Dual Analog controller, the first analog controller Sony ever made. before the dual shock line. SCHP-1110

Turns out I don't have a single game that can "use" this controller according to a few FAQ's I found via Google but I'll give a few Dual Shock compatible games a try. Has analog and digital switch. Supposedly it uses potentiometer rather than rotary encoder or hall effect sensors.

Didn't find any on eBay (current or past) and found little info other than a small list of supported games.

Oh yeah paid only 99 cents :love: :love: :love:

Uzumaki, do you want to keep that stick, or do you want to trade or sell it?

That pad works with anything that'll use the Dual Shock when the LED is red, and it works with Flight Stick games when the LED is green. It does have a rumble circuit built in which supplies power to two solder pads when the game calls for vibration. There is not motor in models SCPH-1180 and SCPH-1180e, however, SCPH-1150 (the Japanese version) has everything it needs. The controller housings will all accept a small rumble motor from the first line of Dual Shock and Dual Shock 2 controllers (revision A).

It has the same function on PS2 games as a Dual Shock 1, but the rumble will not activate. The PS2 system will shake the pad as required on PS1 games, though. You'll notice the sticks click in just like on a Dual Shock 1 or 2, and that has the same function as on those pads.

Colony Wars uses the Flight Stick, and thus works with the Dual Analog. Ditto for Colony Wars: Vengeance, although it says nothing on the package about the DAP or the flight stick.

Here's a rundown of games that need more than digital controls I've used the DAP with:

Gran Turismo 1-3 (it should work well with 4 also using the sticks to steer, accelerate, and brake)

Colony Wars and Colony Wars: Vengeance

Um Jammer Lammy (used it for the rumble)

Parasite Eve

It doesn't work with negCon only games such as wipEout and wipEout XL. I'd also stay away from Final Fantasy 10 with it, as Lulu's overdrive WILL break the right stick.

It's an awesome pad for those with larger hands. I've loved both of the ones I've had. One is long gone, and I need to find a replacement for it.

Not a thrift find, but I answered an ad on craiglist. Guy called me right back, said he was just getting ready to throw all of this stuff out:

4-switch woody

13 2600 games with one of those interlocking cases (I love these)

APF Pong machine

Atari 1040 ST (no power supply)

Pair of paddles

Gemstick

Wico bat stick

And a C64 cart, Crisis Mountain. Nothing on US eBay, but...

http://cgi.ebay.nl/CRISIS-MOUNTAIN-Spiel-C...4QQcmdZViewItem

30 Euros is like 100 bucks now, right? I don't have a C64 and don't want one, so this cart is available.

The total damage was $12 and the seller had his young daughter act as the saleswoman. She was very professional so I did not even try to talk her down to $10.

The best part was that I couldn't get the car, so I had to bike on over and load up my bike rack. The guy was like "you're really going to get that on your bike?" and I told him not to worry, that I was a pro. I brought along plenty of bungie cords. :)

post-6271-1195007736_thumb.jpg

Edited by phaxda

The best part was that I couldn't get the car, so I had to bike on over and load up my bike rack. The guy was like "you're really going to get that on your bike?" and I told him not to worry, that I was a pro. I brought along plenty of bungie cords. :)

Heh heh. Once upon a time my mother would send me out for a weekend's worth of Chinese food, which I would go fetch on my bike. I didn't even have bungie cords, let alone a shelf to attach them to. I was just really good at balancing the box precariously between my legs as I biked home. Never dropped a single wonton.

Not a thrift find, but I answered an ad on craiglist. Guy called me right back, said he was just getting ready to throw all of this stuff out:

4-switch woody

13 2600 games with one of those interlocking cases (I love these)

APF Pong machine

Atari 1040 ST (no power supply)

Pair of paddles

Gemstick

Wico bat stick

And a C64 cart, Crisis Mountain. Nothing on US eBay, but...

http://cgi.ebay.nl/CRISIS-MOUNTAIN-Spiel-C...4QQcmdZViewItem

30 Euros is like 100 bucks now, right? I don't have a C64 and don't want one.

The total damage was $12 and the seller had his young daughter act as the saleswoman. She was very professional so I did not even try to talk her down to $10.

post-6271-1195007736_thumb.jpg

Wow. Great score!

I didn't snap a picture of my bike with the 1040 on the back, but here's a shot to give you an idea of my technique, 'specially because you like the old-school Schwinns. Sorry that it's a case of cheap wine and not beer, though I've thrown many a case of fine brew on there. I also had a pair of Baby Advent speakers on there last week--not so baby when they are on a bike rack!

It's a 1971 Suburban, originally owned by my dad. Running as a single-speed these days.

post-6271-1195020812_thumb.jpg

hell .. bikes rock.. and my town has a huge bike community.. richmond is very easy to navigate by bike..

I'm the guy in town that's known for slapping wheelchair motors and speed controls to bikes.. also for running down and hording old school schwins..

Edited by phaxda

I didn't snap a picture of my bike with the 1040 on the back, but here's a shot to give you an idea of my technique, 'specially because you like the old-school Schwinns. Sorry that it's a case of cheap wine and not beer, though I've thrown many a case of fine brew on there. I also had a pair of Baby Advent speakers on there last week--not so baby when they are on a bike rack!

It's a 1971 Suburban, originally owned by my dad. Running as a single-speed these days.

hell .. bikes rock.. and my town has a huge bike community.. richmond is very easy to navigate by bike..

I'm the guy in town that's known for slapping wheelchair motors and speed controls to bikes.. also for running down and hording old school schwins..

My friend acquired a Schwinn Suburban like that about 8 years ago in MINT condition. It had an awesome baby blue paint job. It was like it was never rode. I hopped on and started riding, and I was impressed with how smooth the ride was. All of the parts just slid on eatchother.

One day he rode it to someone's house, and that person started riding it. When he finally got it back, it was all rusted and rode like shit. Wouldnt shift right, it was a mess.

Well, I got a bunch of Intellivision carts at the flea market today... dunno what they're worth as I have not found a reliable online guide like the ones at AtariAge or DigitalPress (which is down, blargh.)

$10 got me the following (all cart only):

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Pitfall!

Dig Dug

Commando

Pac-Man

Sewer Sam

Thunder Castle

Word Fun

The Dreadnaught Factor

Baseball

Sea Battle

World Cup Soccer

B-17 Bomber

Star Strike

Auto Racing

NFL Football

Astrosmash

Tron Maze-A-Tron

Math Fun

Bump 'N' Jump

Frog Bog

Boxing

Sharp Shot

NHL Hockey

Golf

Lock 'N Chase

Space Hawk

Bowling

Shark! Shark!

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

Tron Deadly Discs

Mission X

Burger Time

Intellivision Voice Module

And an unknown cart (it has no label).

I scoured eBay for some approximate values, and all I found was some guy selling Dig Dug for $100. o_O

Well, I got a bunch of Intellivision carts at the flea market today... dunno what they're worth as I have not found a reliable online guide like the ones at AtariAge or DigitalPress (which is down, blargh.)

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Pitfall!

Dig Dug

Commando

Pac-Man

Sewer Sam

Thunder Castle

Word Fun

The Dreadnaught Factor

Baseball

Sea Battle

World Cup Soccer

B-17 Bomber

Star Strike

Auto Racing

NFL Football

Astrosmash

Tron Maze-A-Tron

Math Fun

Bump 'N' Jump

Frog Bog

Boxing

Sharp Shot

NHL Hockey

Golf

Lock 'N Chase

Space Hawk

Bowling

Shark! Shark!

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

Tron Deadly Discs

Mission X

Burger Time

Intellivision Voice Module

And an unknown cart (it has no label).

I scoured eBay for some approximate values, and all I found was some guy selling Dig Dug for $100. o_O

Sounds like a good reason to pick up an Intellivision to me.....

That is a SWEET deal!

A couple of those games are worth what you paid for the lot!

That is a SWEET deal!

A couple of those games are worth what you paid for the lot!

... Well, I sorta kinda bought the to resell. :ponder: I have no interest in collecting INTV stuff. Aheh.

Shh! Take the compliment! ;)

Not too shabby on Sunday. I nabbed a Game Gear and about a half dozen games for (almost ashamed to tell this..) $8. :P Also, for some odd reason, this seems to be the "20th Century Fox" town...in the past few weeks I have nabbed:

-Flash Gordon

-Bank Heist

-Fantastic Voyage

...from the SAME flea...hmmmmm... :ponder:

Oh...also on Sunday I got DarkStalkers III and MegaMan X 5 for PSX ....$4 for the pair. :) Always on the lookout for those RARE Colecovision games though...so far only have seen ones like Cabbage patch and LadyBug. (I cant gripe though, hell no, in the little dink town I live in there are about 15 fleas within a ten mile radius, so...)

-Joe

My friend acquired a Schwinn Suburban like that about 8 years ago in MINT condition. It had an awesome baby blue paint job. It was like it was never rode. I hopped on and started riding, and I was impressed with how smooth the ride was. All of the parts just slid on eatchother.

One day he rode it to someone's house, and that person started riding it. When he finally got it back, it was all rusted and rode like shit. Wouldnt shift right, it was a mess.

that's just the way schwinns are man.. great bikes.. wonderfully put together.. especially the older ones..

the personal favorite of my collection is a 1980 chick frame traveler.

I'll drop a pic tomorrow.

but a good tuned in schwinn is a work of friggen art.. treat it right and it will serve you very well.. abuse it.. and it will die a quick and lousy death.

you simply do not ride a horse hard and put it away wet.

that goes for any serious bike really..

You guys ain't seen no bike yet. Perhaps tomorrow or the next day I can get a picture of the nineteen fifty-nine Hercules cruiser that ricky29 rides. It's not here today--she rode it the two miles to her job. That thing has been through a lot. It was originally sold in Israel, and you can tell by the setup that it's not American made.

I thought my 1986 Paramount was the thing to have...especially since only about 1,100 of them were made, but this cruiser is a complete dream to ride.

that wasn't why I posted, though.

I picked up a Pelican light gun for the Dreamcast at the game store today. I left behind a Star Wars: The Arcade Game for the 2600 (it's in a bundle of VCS games priced at $5), and a copy of StarCraft 64 for $20.