IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Xbox for $6. The dvd drive is broken, but I think that I have some spares... Boots up, so I'm suspecting that it'll work fine (though some of the dashboard animations are a bit jerky. I wonder if one can defrag an Xbox drive?). If it works, then I'm going to try softmodding it.

Game Cube with LCD screen, rechargeable battery pack (non functional, but I can solder new batts in), 2x controllers, army men game, smash brothers melee & one more title. All for $15.

Wow quite a deal on the Game Cube gulag! Hey if you do find out if you can defrag your Xbox drive let me know. I think mine needs it.

since interesting 2600 finds are few and far between these days (though i have been seeing a few more vcs carts in the wild recently), i was happy to pick up this little oddity...

post-3233-1210897512_thumb.jpg

too bad video games aren't like stamps when it comes to misprints... ;)

Very groovy, that's an awesome find, I love stuff like that!

Thanks for sharing! :)

hey atarian yea some people i would guess pay that much for bubble bobble 2 and 10-15 for the megamans

i usually check prices on ebay and amazon :)

I have noticed that MegaMan part 2 and 3 seem to usually go for the least out of the 6....at least that's how it used to be. I used to think that number 5 was about the hardest to get.

Bubble Bobble 2 is nearly $100 cart only I believe. I don't really know much anymore, I haven't followed NES prices in a while but do know what to pick up if I see something good at the thrift or swap. ;)

Light sixer with 28 games liberated from the flea market for $15:

One Taiwan Light Sixer

Third party power cord

RadioCrap switchbox

Two CX-40 joysticks

half of a VideoStack game center (the top is missing)

and games...

M-Network:

Bump 'n' Jump

US Games:

Squeeze Box (square case)

Parker:

Frogger (no label)

Imagic:

Cosmic Ark

Dragonfire

Activision: (all standard labels)

Freeway

Keystone Kapers

Laser Blast

Sears text:

Baseball

Target Fun

Atari text:

Bowling

Combat

Night Driver

Outlaw (no end label)

Street Racer (no end label)

Atari picture:

Asteroids

Cookie Monster Munch

Defender

Pac-Man

Atari silver:

Centipede

ET

The whole lot was good looking underneath the thirty years of filth it was covered in. I've cleaned it all up, but the console needs internal work that I'm too lazy to finish tonight, and the CX-40's need rebuilt.

The lot is on hold right now, but if that deal falls through, I'll probably keep the console, part out some of the games, and sell the commons in bulk. I've already got five Atari commons and a number of Atlantis 1 carts I need to get rid of.

I haven't been able to get out for the past few months because my truck has been in the shop with two failed attempts at engine replacement. (This third one seems to be working okay so far, though it still needs a couple of minor things fixed next week. The first two went bad in less than 300 miles, so right now I'm essentially doing a 500 mile test drive, and I need another 150 miles before I start feeling better about it. But at least this has all been under warranty.)

So anyhow, I needed to get out and put some miles on the odometer, so I went out and did some shopping. Thursday at the Goodwill salvage store, I found a 5 1/4" drive cleaning kit. There's only about 1/3 of the fluid left, but it doesn't look like it ever got used, and that's just 20+ years of evaporation. And it has two cleaning discs, with the single-sided cutout still in place.

Friday at the Goodwill salvage store, I found two early-'80s vintage circuit boards. One had 8 each red, green, and yellow LEDs, and the other had eight 7-segment displays and a hexadecimal keypad. Both have DB-25 connectors, and the newest chip on each dates to 1981. The keypad is on a professionally-etched board that says "PTFE TAS/ANZ MICO85" on it. I think I got charged 75 cents for that. Also I got six ethernet cables, one of them 25 foot, $1 each. At the Goodwill computer store, I got a 5-port 10/100 switch with auto-duplex for $5. (They usually don't have many if any small switches/hubs there, but they have a ton of home routers.)

Today I found a first model Sega Genesis, the kind without the lockout chip, for $10. The bonus was the "bag in back" with 2 controllers and a power supply. I've seen back-port models before that had the lockout chip, so Sega clearly added that very early in the history of the Genesis. Then I found a PS2 "Shadowblade Arcade Stick" controller for $4 (this is my second one) and a 5V 3A Toshiba power supply for $2 (it powers a PSP, though it doesn't have a right-angle plug).

I'm real happy about finding that Genesis. I've been wanting one for a while. I wasn't even sure it if it would be that model until I plugged it in just now.

EDIT: also on Thursday, I got a Zip 250 USB for 2 bucks, and it worked. (though I only had one unused Zip 250 disk)

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Yesterday I went out to a local swap-meet and came upon a box that had an unusual joystick in it. I looked into the box and it was a mixed bag of a few consoles, cords and controllers. The lady said the box was only $1. I thought, even though these things look as if they have been caked in dust/dirt for the last decade, there has to be something of value here. I bought it and she said "Good luck trying to get that stuff to work!" sarcastically. I take the box home to examine what I got for a buck. Inside was a model 1 Sega Genesis, SNES, and a NES. There were 3 genesis controllers, one controller I've never seen before in my life, a few cord extensions, a SNES controller, a power adapter for some Atari computer I'd assume (Its gigantic), a bunch of r/f adapters and power adapters for the NES and Sega and a few AV cables. Also included were the NES games Kung Fu and Top Gun.

Well, after a lot of cleaning, I started trying to hook these things up and the Genesis and SNES worked without any problems. The NES powers up and everything, but I keep getting the blasted flashing red light. I figure with a bit more cleaning though, I'll have a working NES out of the deal too.

Not half bad for a dollar.

Well, had to be man of the house yesterday and get caught up on yard work. Relocating a vegatable gard is oh so much fun. I did get to play with my new weed wacker, so that was cool.

Today hit a flea market that is usually a bust, but got a few things.

2600 games

Spectravision Tapeworm: $1

Yars' Revenge (yeah, I didn't have it, can you believe that?) $1

PS1 games

Pro-Pinball $2

S.C.A.R.S. (futuristic driving game) $2

and my biggest suprise

Double Dragon for the Sega Genesis: $2.00! I know it's not super rare, but loose copies go for $25 or more on ebay.

I found an Intellivision II and a Sears Intellivision for $3 each. But the INTV-II controllers have lost the top layer, so I don't know how well they might work. By jamming parts together I also got an Intellivoice, a B-17 Bomber cart, and a Burgertime cart included.

Greatest thrift trick ever is to hook up all the stuff that goes to a system that you can find. Most of the time, the clerks don't notice, or care. If they ask you found it on the shelf that way. and if there are any carts you want, plunk one in the slot. Usually goes un-noticed as well.

Cool deal on the INTV stuff!

Managed to sneak away from the house this weekend. Went to a couple sales and a few thrifts.

Snow Brothers NES 5.00 :D

Bomberman II NES 5.00

Mutant League Football w/box Gen 3.00

Acme All-Stars Insert w/box Gen Free (No Game)

NBA Live 96 SNES .99

Knockout Kings 2000 N64 .99

Christmas Nights Into Dreams Demo Saturn 1.49

Pariah CIB Xbox 8.00

Managed to sneak away from the house this weekend. Went to a couple sales and a few thrifts.

Snow Brothers NES 5.00 :D

Bomberman II NES 5.00

Mutant League Football w/box Gen 3.00

Acme All-Stars Insert w/box Gen Free (No Game)

NBA Live 96 SNES .99

Knockout Kings 2000 N64 .99

Christmas Nights Into Dreams Demo Saturn 1.49

Pariah CIB Xbox 8.00

HOT DAMN!!

snow bros for nes and xmas nights demo,thats awesome bro.

you ever want to sell or trade either of those,please let me know!!

Edited by wccw mark

Put some more miles on the truck today without the engine falling apart (at 310 of 500, only 190 more and I can drive a decent speed again, and yes I sometimes feel like I'm grinding to level up) and I found some more stuff.

The biggest thing was at the Goodwill salvage just now... a Sega Genesis... with a rear port... could it be? I just now plugged it in and yes it is! It's another no-lockout Genesis! And it was only $5.

Of course I also found games too. CIB Outrun, Golden Axe, and Golden Axe II. Also cart/cover for Joe Montanna II Sports Talk Football, cover/instructions for Ms. Pac-Man, and cover for Fantasia, with five cases total. And an unopened "It's Mr. Pants" for GBA (still in the blister-pack long-box including half of an HEB grocery store price sticker) . Also box/instructions for NDS Catz. That makes five games for $1.50 each, and three empty cases. And I found a Powerbook G3 yo-yo power supply. I'll have to test it later to see if it works.

Also, I didn't mention that last time I found a bunch of Game Genie code update books in excellent condition. NES 1#1-1#4, and 2#3, SNES 1#1-1#4 and "Super NES Special 50 more games". And also NES Castlevania III Dracula's Curse instructions, and the hint sheet for the first Zelda game.

I got out again sunday and scored a Generator Volume @ for the Dreamcast and the Web Browser 2.0.

I also grabbed a few outdated computer parts. For $1, I grabbed an ATAPI CD changer that was built in 1998. It's more of a curiosity, and I figured it was worth a buck just to actually see the thing in action.

I also got the light sixer working today. If I had a nickel for every ring crack I found in there, I'd be rich!

Edited by shadow460