IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Don't know if this counts but I was out Saturday and got a PS2 hard drive at my local Gamestop with the network adapter for $14.99. The hard drive was

$100 before I know. Don't know about the network adaptor but it all works. Also picked up a couple Xbox memory cards for $2 a piece. Isn't Sony still doing PS2 games? Can't really save to the hard drive during the game but you can copy files from the memory cards to the hard drive. Not a bad deal. More to come...

Rich

I got out again sunday and scored a Generator Volume @ for the Dreamcast and the Web Browser 2.0.

Is that supposed to be "Generator Volume 2"? Because I'm amazed how many of those I've seen. Sure, it's only been like 4 or so, but that's when those discs aren't all that easy to find in the wild to begin with.

Don't know if this counts but I was out Saturday and got a PS2 hard drive at my local Gamestop with the network adapter for $14.99. The hard drive was $100 before I know. Don't know about the network adaptor but it all works. Also picked up a couple Xbox memory cards for $2 a piece. Isn't Sony still doing PS2 games? Can't really save to the hard drive during the game but you can copy files from the memory cards to the hard drive. Not a bad deal.

There really weren't many things which used the hard drive. Unless you want to figure out how to mod your PS2 to load games from the HD, about the only thing is FFXI. At least there's a new release now, so you won't have to spend all day downloading three years of FFXI updates.

Aside from FFXI, really the only thing that Sony's official HD gets you is the drive rails and utility disc. The IDE interface is already built into the official network adapter. As long as you can borrow the HD Utility disc from someone, you should be able to format any random HD less than 130GB.

Last Sunday I wandered over to my local Blockbuster to rent GTA IV. While I was there I remembered that a free one month XBL card was included with the game. So, I asked the "floor walker" if I could have one with my rented game. He said "Sure, take as many as you want. Everything is in the original game box on the wall." He pulled out five cards and gave them to me! So now my silver membership will be gold for five months starting when the kids get out of school (middle of June).

Cool! I picked up one of these at a garage sale this weekend. $1. It's good fun.

Commodore 64 Plug 'n' Play Joystick Unit, $3. Glad I listened to my instincts today, that one thrift's been good to me over the years in terms of consoles.

Goodwill Finds for the 21st of may

M.C. Kids (nintendo) .50

Frog Bog atari 2600 1.25

Donkey Kong Jr Coleco .99

very happy to keep finding good stuff at goodwill Its great but also kinda bad when they stockpile the classic games in the back intill Ive gone through them

Goodwill Finds for the 21st of may

M.C. Kids (nintendo) .50

Frog Bog atari 2600 1.25

Donkey Kong Jr Coleco .99

very happy to keep finding good stuff at goodwill Its great but also kinda bad when they stockpile the classic games in the back intill Ive gone through them

lucky, at least your goodwill has classic games.... I dont think the ones here even know what an atari 2600 is

I got out again sunday and scored a Generator Volume @ for the Dreamcast and the Web Browser 2.0.

Is that supposed to be "Generator Volume 2"? Because I'm amazed how many of those I've seen. Sure, it's only been like 4 or so, but that's when those discs aren't all that easy to find in the wild to begin with.

Yes, it's the Generator Volume 2 disc.

Don't know if this counts but I was out Saturday and got a PS2 hard drive at my local Gamestop with the network adapter for $14.99. The hard drive was $100 before I know. Don't know about the network adaptor but it all works. Also picked up a couple Xbox memory cards for $2 a piece. Isn't Sony still doing PS2 games? Can't really save to the hard drive during the game but you can copy files from the memory cards to the hard drive. Not a bad deal.

The DMS4 modchip allows you to load games from the hard disk. It's a difficult install from what I hear, and some versions require surface mount soldering. Oddly, DMS4 does not allow ripping games to the drive--that must be done by hooking the drive into a computer. Last time I checked, DMS4 was about $70, plus the cost of your drive. I've heard ofup to 300GB being used in the PS2. IMO, that's a small price to pay to cut down your load times.

If you've got an old PC motherboard, you can get a feel of surface mount soldering and determine if you want to try it on your PS2. If you decide that's not the way, I think there are other versions of DMS4 that have clip on leads. I'd go with the solder in type myself.

I went to a few different places today with my wife and the only thing in the picture that wasn't bought today is the Neves DS game which came in the mail from ebay. It's a pretty neat game, we both like it. Yeah, those Sports Night DVD's are worth a pretty penny!

Most to keep, some to sell.

post-4103-1211438657_thumb.jpg

$10 New DS Garfield's Nightmare

$11 Used, Complete DS Sim City

$21 Used, Complete DS Neves (from ebay....yeah, I really wanted it!)

$11 Used, Complete DS Chicken Little

$9 Used, Complete PS2 Theme Park Roller Coaster

$9 Used, Complete Wii M&M's Kart Racing

$8 Used, Complete Petz Dogz 2

$5 Used, Complete GBA Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

$27 Used Sports Night DVD Set (6 discs)

$3 New DVD Joyride

$3 New DVD The Squid and the Whale

$2 New DVD Dan Doh!! The Super Shot! (i have no clue)

$3 New DVD Pajama Party

$3 New DVD Bloodhounds of Broadway

$3 New DVD Winged Migration

$3 New DVD Owning Mahowny (i love Philip Seymour Hoffman)

Today:

Marauder 2600 loose for .99

N64 w/4 games & controllers $5.00

WOW! That's a nice score, congrats. Any noteworthy N64 carts or just sports?

Starfox 64

San Fran something

Top Gear Rally

Hey You Pikachu w/vru but no mic

One of the controllers has a bad cable broken & taped back up but it still works. I was happy with the price. :) Saw a bag of Genesis goodies, system/controllers/games at a goodwill for $34.99 and passed. $5 for a system and games & all the hookups though, and I'll take it any day.

Saw buy passed on:

2600 Light sixer no controllers or ps but taped to the bottom half of one of those woodgrain cases - $25.00

Sega Gamegear with nylon case, one game, no ps but did have the rechargeable battery - $15.00

Not exactly a thrift find, but I did get something from a lady on Craigslist

PS2 slim, one controller, Guitar Hero 2 with guitar, and 37 other games, all in great shape for $150.00

Never really played a PS2 before, and I bought it on a whim. Also, I want that new Williams Pinball game that just came out.

:)

Salvation Army find, Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast, .99

Goodwill today, Final Fantasy VII, Greatest Hits edition, missing disc one. $2.99

Rush R30, new and unopened Rush 30th Anniversary DVD set, $7.99

I don't suppose anyone has Disc 1 from FFVII laying around do they?

There was one locally from a non GH set. I don't know if it's still available, or what the price is. the last time I checked, he wanted $10 for it, but the man may have changed his mind by now. I purchased what was left of the set a long time ago to replace my broken disc 3 and box. Disc 2 was missing, I think. It might have been missing disc 1--I just know one of the first two discs was missing and that's why he sold part of the set to me.

Found today:

DC Web Browser 1 with (shockingly) front and back jewel case inserts and the jewel case (of course) $1

PS1 Pooh's Party Game In Search of the Treasure. I never heard of this before, so I grabbed it. $3

and something I've been looking for for THREE YEARS...

2600 Activision Checkers. Paid waaaaay too much for it ($3), but it was worth it to me! the label is a tad faded but has almost NO Actiplaque!

Edited by shadow460

my bad intellivison on frog bog label is hand printed thought it was atari intill I tried to put the cartridge in lol fun game though

craigslist finds on games today

turbografix 16 console 7.00

nes R.O.B. 5.00 missing the good stuff

Goodwill finds today

texas chainsaw massacre atari 2600 3.00 (didnt know they made one based on the movie in the 70's)overpriced not a great deal but cool none the less

Porky's atari 2600 .75

Arkanoid with controller nes 1.99

sales flier for coleco free (was in the box with the atari stuff bad condition)

adventure w/ box atari 2600 1.50

25 controllers various systems whole box 8.00 (havent gone through them all yet)

Went to the local Salvation Army the other day and saw a system I'd never seen before. It was call the "Virtua Station" and it looked like it played Sega Genesis games but the girl who helped me couldn't get the Sega Genesis game they had to fit in it. Looked the right size and shape but she didn't want to force it in and break the system. No noticable markings on it to say what it was compatible with. It was green with black trim and came with a light gun, two controllers (looked like PS1 controllers), the system and all necessary connections. Box was in bad shape but the system looked ok. The box had a Spaceman Spiff kind of character on it the cover with a controller in his hands. It had a 2 page manual which said very little and gave no clue as to who manufactured it or where it was built. It was only $7.99 but I passed because I had no clue as to what games it was supposed to play. Anybody seen or know of a system like this? A Sega Genesis Clone maybe? :?

Rich

Went to the local Salvation Army the other day and saw a system I'd never seen before. It was call the "Virtua Station" and it looked like it played Sega Genesis games but the girl who helped me couldn't get the Sega Genesis game they had to fit in it. Looked the right size and shape but she didn't want to force it in and break the system. No noticable markings on it to say what it was compatible with. It was green with black trim and came with a light gun, two controllers (looked like PS1 controllers), the system and all necessary connections. Box was in bad shape but the system looked ok. The box had a Spaceman Spiff kind of character on it the cover with a controller in his hands. It had a 2 page manual which said very little and gave no clue as to who manufactured it or where it was built. It was only $7.99 but I passed because I had no clue as to what games it was supposed to play. Anybody seen or know of a system like this? A Sega Genesis Clone maybe? :?

Rich

If this is the same as the one I have, (and it sounds like it is,) it is a Famiclone. It will play Famicom games. Mine did not come with the light gun, but did come with a cart of 100, I think, games. I think that I paid $6 or $7 for mine from Goodwill.

JY

At Goodwill today, I found a new sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES for $4. THAT was a surprise to me. The box wasn't even damaged! And next to it was a very good condition loose cart of Final Fantasy 3 for the SNES for $2. So of course I snatched them up!

I was surprised I found these at an actual "thrift store" price, seeing how most thrift stores seem to be getting in on the "ebay" pricing of vintage games these days.

And what's funny is they also had a stack of common NES titles in a glass case for $3 each. :?:

I see someone is selling a sealed copy of SMB3 on ebay. The price is at $66.05 for now. Maybe I'll put mine on ebay soon. :twisted: