IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I picked up a Toshiba 14" TV with Composite/Component/Svideo inputs for $20 and a 27" Sony with Svideo/Composite inputs for $35. Both work flawlessly and I can retire some old TVs with just coax inputs. Lots of really nice TVs coming to the Goodwill I frequent in Austin. It is too bad I am no longer living there. I saw a 32" Sony with the same styling at my local Houston Goodwill marked at $150. I left it since it is not much of a deal.

Alright... here's a good one:

From the local flea market:

1 Vader system

2 joysticks

128 games (plenty of dupes, naturally)

And they all came in this awesome Nintendo chest (website and pics aren't mine)

The price???

$15

Hard to beat $.11 cents per game :D :D :D :D

I should have outbid you, damnit! That'll teach me never to go to the flea market with you again...

Just picked up 2 ea made four player adapters for the sega genesis and a sega brand cd bak up cart for the sega genesis to save sega cd game info for only 2 bucks

nice find

they also had a size small nes power glove i could have got for 2 bucks loose but i passed

Got all the following at the flea market today for $35:

Sears Super Video Arcade

Astrosmash (INTV)

Lock 'n Chase (INTV, boxed)

Night Stalker (INTV, boxed with one overlay)

Demon Attack (INTV)

Pitfall (INTV)

Hangman (2600, picture label)

Ghostbusters (2600)

Burgertime (INTV)

Pretty nice find.

Well, I probably spent too much today, but I did hit a couple of decent finds.

Hit about a half dozen yard and church sales and found nothing. Thought I might get lucky with a really nice portable Sony Trinitron TV that had av inputs, but it's dead. At least it was free!

Got home and found a couple of Craigslist postings that looked promising.

First was an Atari Jr with 38 games. Had about 10 games I needed including a very clean copy of Xonix's Spikes Peak/ Artillerary Duel with the manuals as well as Swordquest Fireworld. and a sealed Berzerk. Also had a menagerie of controllers that may or may not work, and a bunch of those interlocking storage cubes. Total for all $50.

Next up was a ad that promised a HUGE box of games and systems. Ended up with:

Sega Genesis Model 2 with 4 controllers no games

Game Gear with 7 games (all new to me)

Gamecube with one controller and 3 games including Smash Brothers which I've been on the lookout for

N64 with expansion pack all hookups no games

Original Gameboy and 11 games (10 new to me)

2 PS1 analog controllers and 2 mem cards

2 NES games TMNT and Rad Racer

Total for all $100, eh I've done better, I've done worse.

Of course everything from both lots is gross and dusty and dirty. :woozy: I'll never get that, I sell stuff too and I always make sure it's as clean as I can get it.

Also today I found a loose Genesis 3 (my first) for $3 and Wave Race 64 for $2.

post-12780-1238879166_thumb.jpg

post-12780-1238879179_thumb.jpg

post-12780-1238879185_thumb.jpg

post-12780-1238879195_thumb.jpg

post-12780-1238879200_thumb.jpg

post-12780-1238879212_thumb.jpg

Is this the biggest thread on AA yet? This is crazy! :P

I know I've got some finds in here somewhere. Like 200+ pages back or something. Damned if I can find them. This thread is so long now that the "print thread" mode and search in browser doesn't even work anymore. :|

I must say, I never understood some forums that have a post count limit on threads, but I do now. ;) Yeah, 200 posts/replies per thread, then it autolocks and you have to start another one. Hmmm, we'de be up to "The Official 'Thrift finds' Thread - Part 33" now. :lolblue:

Most of my NES collection (and the console itself) has come from one particular thrift store about a mile from my home. Went in the other day and found these NES games priced at $4 each:

Athena

Baseball

Bases Loaded II

Bionic Commando

Blaster Master

Golf

Golgo 13

Gotcha

Gumshoe

Gun.Smoke

Hogan's Alley

Kings of the Beach

Milon's Secret Castle

Rush 'n' Attack

They have yellow tags on them (temporarily :evil:). Last week was "yellow", and I asked when the weeks changed. "Monday," I was told. I left. The second week an item is out, it's still full price, then the price begins to auto drop at week 3. These came out on White week, then Yellow was next, followed by Red. Today was Red, and I purchased all these for $1.99 each. I checked ebay for prices and I think I paid about the right amount for them...sans shipping!

I haven't thrifted much in the last two months since I don't have a job, but I needed work clothes the other day so I went. While there, I looked for games, too.

Also, for what it's worth, I grabbed up some plastic Game Gear cart cases from Vintage Stock for 25 cents each. They help keep my games in good shape, I suppose. :|

I don't have a job, but I needed work clothes

Sorry, but I gotta ask about this contradiction in terms. :P

They were for a temp assignment with Sam's Club. I should have said "I don't have a permanent job right now." I noticed it later but said to heck with it.

Then again, I might go pick up work clothes anytime, 'cause I'll need 'em when I get re employed. :)

Back to the subject at hand, all but one of the games worked. Athena didn't work no matter what I tried, cleaning contacts, cleaning the console, reflowing the cartridge board, etc. It just would not go. I'm going to take it to Game X Change and see if they have a reliable NES to test it with. Mine isn't in the best shape anymore.

I'm in Oklahoma. All I need is the big cart connector and I'm cool, and there's other mods I wanna do.

I need to get pics made of this lot--it was pretty big actually.

Meh you don't need a new connector. Just clean the pins vigorously or bend the pins back.

I'm in Oklahoma. All I need is the big cart connector and I'm cool, and there's other mods I wanna do.

I need to get pics made of this lot--it was pretty big actually.

Meh you don't need a new connector. Just clean the pins vigorously or bend the pins back.

I agree. Unless the pins are bent all you need to do is clean them with some really high grit sandpaper and then some alcohol on a folded piece of paper. You don't even have to remove the connector, just lift the top cover off of the unit. Replacement 72 pin connectors are not as good as the originals, and may actually damage your games because the pins are too tight and will start scratching the crap out of the edge connectors of the carts.

Chris

Been a little dry around here lately, but it was nice to swing to my fave skanky thrift and pick up a bunch of 5200 for a quarter a throw:

star raiders

pac-man

super breakout

space invaders

centipede

football

Sadly, I still don't have a 5200. I know that they suck, but it would still kinda cool to play on one. In 20 years of thrifting, I think that I've seen one - it was busted and tagged for $40. Yeesh.

also found a Donkey Kong for the TI in one of those oddball flared cases - what did they only have stickers in the small size, and built the case around it? :) I also got a dreamcase memory card thrown in for nothin'... so nothing to complain about.

Edited by gulag picture radio

Picked up the following at good will.

Sega genesis games

Bonkers Loose cart

Columns loose cart

chuck of rock II son of chuck loose cart

syd of valis with box and manual

bubbles and squeak with box and manual

barney's hide and seek with box and manual

bearenstain bears camping adventure with box and no manual

crystals pony (sega club) with box and manual

Not sure if I posted this the other day. But I picked up a intellivions cart He-Man master of the univers with inserts for 2.00. NO manual. They had some other but by the time I decided to go back and pick them up. they was gone. The good thing is I had most of the games already with manuals.

then I picked up some 5 atari carts loose for a 1.00 a peice and to my surpise. I didn't have any of them.

As for the sega genesis they were priced at 3.99 and 2.99 for loose carts. But goodwill had the 1/2 off sign up and well they mached. so about 15.00 for all of those.

Laters,

Josh

Unexpected freebie from a friend of mine who was cleaning out his parents' house...

Sears 6 switch woody - my first!

Demon Attack

Yars Revenge

Surround

Frogger

Target Fun

Pac-Man

Asteroids

Berzerk

Planet Patrol

Defender

COmmando Raid

C64 computer + floppy drive

Some 8 tracks incl Neil Diamond... I've never listened to an ND album before... might be fitting to be on 8 track. ;)

Been on a "I work too much" hiatus.. ..no fun..

..at all.

Here's what I found a day ago after a dry spell. ...not very impressive at all, but at least two of 'em are pretty good classics I had yet to even add to my collection..

2600:

HAUNTED HOUSE

ADVENTURE (Telegames version)

STARMASTER

RIDDLE OF THE SPHINX

..2 months before that I found:

GAME GEAR - console, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage

GAMEBOY - Super Mario Land 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fall of the foot clan, Mortal Kombat, Bart Vs. The Juggernauts (Simpsons)

N64 - Space Invaders, Turok 2, Cruisin' World

I found some other random games too for the NES and Genesis.. I'd have to double check what they were, like I said, I've been overworking Graveyard shifts.. sadly haven't been on as many runs around town to look as I'd like :*(