IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I think you overpaid only because the AC adapter is missing. If it included the adapter, I would have said that the price was high for a thrift store, but not overpriced for what it is. The game brain is worth about $20 by itself. The problem is that the AC adapter will be spendy because it is proprietary and because it will be expensive to ship.

Chris

Yeah, I figured as much. Well, frankly, I got the 7800 and the game brain together for 10 dollars as a bundle. It really was the games I overspent on at 2 dollars each. I knew I probably was paying too much, but well, eyes bigger than my wits. :P

I may sell the game brain along with my 2600 vader and some of the games I don't like in a couple months when I have a power cord for the 7800. I took the brain apart and cleaned it up. It looks really nice now and works just fine. But really, I have no use for it.

I did actually ask them to look for a power cable at the Goodwill I bought it at, but they couldn't find it.

did you have either system before? or any of the games? it all depends.. IMHO it was a bit steep, but this is why I never go to goodwill anyways.. if possible I would've haggled down up to 50% off counting the 7800 not having a power cord and there for untested and un known if it actually works.

but once again.. the reason I don't go to good will is because they are notorious for not having any haggling room, and there policy in that regard is to come back in two weeks for a price drop.. if it hasn't sold already

mostly my issues with goodwill are political and petty and need not be discussed here.

Haggle with Goodwill? That sounds like fun :ponder:... Around here the service at Goodwill and Salvation Army has been pretty crappy. It's funny for the service they are doing (check out their websites), you would think all of the employees would be somewhat friendly. I'll give a guy a break one day, but come on, when you go to the same stores over and over, you get to know the people. Not too friendly. The managers make you feel like you're up to no good. Haggling is out of the question.

Most keep video games behind glass just thrown in there near the registers. When you ask for them to take some out to see the titles (in between running the register) you would have thought I told them I shot their grandmother.

Hey, I've worked retail, I've done my time. I was rarely a jerk (OK, maybe Christmas time :twisted: ).

They really piss me off lately. You expect bad service at a flea market because they are relatively self-employed. I'll give credit for some of the workers at thrift stores. One guy is real cool, he knows I look for video games and sometimes he'll give me a discount. Let's just say I hope he's upper management.

Side comment: I was at Goodwill and the lady was letting me see some of the titles barricaded in their mini-Fort Knox. $5 for boxed Genesis titles. I was, "Really???". Another employee said, "Yeah, that's a good deal." I left with nothing. Hate that.

I think you overpaid only because the AC adapter is missing. If it included the adapter, I would have said that the price was high for a thrift store, but not overpriced for what it is. The game brain is worth about $20 by itself. The problem is that the AC adapter will be spendy because it is proprietary and because it will be expensive to ship.

Chris

Yeah, I figured as much. Well, frankly, I got the 7800 and the game brain together for 10 dollars as a bundle. It really was the games I overspent on at 2 dollars each. I knew I probably was paying too much, but well, eyes bigger than my wits. :P

From that point of view, you still did well with the system. If it was a bundle with the game brain it could be argued that you got a bare 7800 console for $5. Not bad. And you did get some good games for $2 each too.

After a lackluster summer, I finally got some good deals yesterday. I went to an estate sale and found that the deceased was a big-time rpg player. The son-in-law who was running the sale had them priced at $5 each. But since this was the last day, he wanted to get rid of them. So he said I could get 10 for $30. I picked up the following:

Silver

Nocturne

Planescape Torment

Diablo II

Mistmare (I never heard of it. It looks like an adventure game though.)

Legend: Hand Of God (not opened)

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Dungeon Siege w/Legends Of Aranna expansion

Dead Reefs (not opened, never heard of this game either)

Beyond Divinity (only game not complete)

I passed up on a lot of older games. But they were all dos games and I hate messing around with dos or dosbox (I'm lazy). :P

The next place I went to had a boxed set of eight Mel Brooks movies for $10 :lust: . So I'm pretty happy I went out. :D

Edited by MCHufnagel

After a lackluster summer, I finally got some good deals yesterday. I went to an estate sale and found that the deceased was a big-time rpg player. The son-in-law who was running the sale had them priced at $5 each. But since this was the last day, he wanted to get rid of them. So he said I could get 10 for $30. I picked up the following:

Silver

Nocturne

Planescape Torment

Diablo II

I passed up on a lot of older games. But they were all dos games and I hate messing around with dos or dosbox (I'm lazy). :P

The next place I went to had a boxed set of eight Mel Brooks movies for $10 :lust: . So I'm pretty happy I went out. :D

Blazing Saddles is hopefully included right?

Yeah, I figured as much. Well, frankly, I got the 7800 and the game brain together for 10 dollars as a bundle. It really was the games I overspent on at 2 dollars each. I knew I probably was paying too much, but well, eyes bigger than my wits. icon_razz.gif

I may sell the game brain along with my 2600 vader and some of the games I don't like in a couple months when I have a power cord for the 7800. I took the brain apart and cleaned it up. It looks really nice now and works just fine. But really, I have no use for it.

I did actually ask them to look for a power cable at the Goodwill I bought it at, but they couldn't find it.

Well, look at it this way. I'm up to nearly 300 2600 and 7800 games. A lot of those I got really cheap by purchasing large lots, which means at the moment I have a TON of common dupes that just sit there until I get off my butt and package them together hoping someone else will buy them from me. I'm at the point now where if I can get Atari games that I don't have for only $2-3 in the wild, I don't mind it if it means I don't have to buy ANOTHER Pac-man to get them!

Today's find for me was at a garage sale down the street... didn't know these folks but I think they are new (there has been a ton of renos going on there). Anyway I scored myself a NES without the RF cable in pretty amazing condition for $5 (I'll use the composite jacks on the side anyway). It had 2 controllers and a zapper.

And the even better part was finding a BOXED Intellivision!! I opened the box expecting it to be empty or full of junk but there was the system with the styrofoam inserts and manual etc. It didn't look like it was even used much. It only came with Poker and Blackjack and Skiing so I can understand that it wasn't used much. The best part of the deal... the price... a mere $3!! That is the cheapest videogame system I ever bought! (Other than getting free systems from people).

Now I need to get some games to play on the Intelly!

Today's find for me was at a garage sale down the street... didn't know these folks but I think they are new (there has been a ton of renos going on there). Anyway I scored myself a NES without the RF cable in pretty amazing condition for $5 (I'll use the composite jacks on the side anyway). It had 2 controllers and a zapper.

And the even better part was finding a BOXED Intellivision!! I opened the box expecting it to be empty or full of junk but there was the system with the styrofoam inserts and manual etc. It didn't look like it was even used much. It only came with Poker and Blackjack and Skiing so I can understand that it wasn't used much. The best part of the deal... the price... a mere $3!! That is the cheapest videogame system I ever bought! (Other than getting free systems from people).

Nice deals!!! Can you upload pics of the Intellivision. I have never seen a boxed one.

Nice deals!!! Can you upload pics of the Intellivision. I have never seen a boxed one.

Will do tomorrow... camera isn't here at the moment. I went through the box and found an old GE Service contract for the system as well as the warranty registration card (plus manual)... upon further review though, the poker and blackjack cart was missing... I just played the Skiing cart though and it worked like a charm! This system is in amazing condition! The controllers are responsive and I was Skiing like a champ! lol Time to go and get me some games!!

Will do tomorrow... camera isn't here at the moment. I went through the box and found an old GE Service contract for the system as well as the warranty registration card (plus manual)... upon further review though, the poker and blackjack cart was missing... I just played the Skiing cart though and it worked like a charm! This system is in amazing condition! The controllers are responsive and I was Skiing like a champ! lol Time to go and get me some games!!

How do the controllers feel. I have never used an Intellivision controller before.

Silver

Nocturne

Planescape Torment

Diablo II

Blazing Saddles is hopefully included right?

Yep as well as his other top films (Silent Movie, Young Frankenstein, History Of The World, Robin Hood).

Hey Stich just happened to be reading your post then came across the following. Check it out.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=5150832

Rich

Not much lately, but I did make a couple of nice Craigslist scores. First on Friday I got a nice platinum Gamecube Wavebird wireless controller for $15, then today I got three more grey Wavebirds and two Nintendo brand memory cards from another guy for $35! They are all in near mint condition too. That makes five total Wavebirds for me, so that should be enough. icon_smile.gif What can I say, they are great controllers! Plus, someday when I get a Wii, I can use them on it too.

If only I could get that lucky with some Logitech Xbox controllers.

Hey Stich just happened to be reading your post then came across the following. Check it out.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=5150832

Rich

Thanks!

Today is MY DAY icon_exclaim.gif!

Craigslist deal, $75 3do lot.. he set the price and I DID NOT TRY TO HAGGLE.

This is my best CL score YET. I am soooo happy, I was just getting into 3do collecting.

icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif

AX

Very nice Ax.

I had a semi-nice find today. The same guy I just got the Wavebirds from sold me a 100% complete in (enormous) box Steel Battalion for the Xbox. That's the game that comes with that CRAZY ass twin stick and footpedel controller. It's in like new condition and I got it for $65 which seems like a decent deal.

steel_battalion.jpg

Edited by SRGilbert

Today is MY DAY icon_exclaim.gif!

Craigslist deal, $75 3do lot.. he set the price and I DID NOT TRY TO HAGGLE.

This is my best CL score YET. I am soooo happy, I was just getting into 3do collecting.

icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif

AX

Very nice Ax.

I had a semi-nice find today. The same guy I just got the Wavebirds from sold me a 100% complete in (enormous) box Steel Battalion for the Xbox. That's the game that comes with that CRAZY ass twin stick and footpedel controller. It's in like new condition and I got it for $65 which seems like a decent deal.

steel_battalion.jpg

That thing looks like someone ripped it out of an airplane

:D

For the first time in my life, I found something that I actually voluntarily passed up!!! :lol: I wandered into a Goodwill store a few days ago and found a Phillips CD-I. I have never seen one in the wild before. It was $20, and had no controllers, wires to hook it up, or games. I had to pass because it looked kinda beat and there was no way to test it. It's not like I can go to Gamestop (or anywhere else for that matter) and pick that stuff up! And besides, what "games" are good for that thing anyway?