IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Today while i was in this gaming store,this guy walked in with a boxed C64,all original like new boxes,keyboard in plastic wrap,modem,C64 original monitor.He brought it in to get whatever he can for the stuff,which was iirc $150.I mean this stuff was all unbelievable condition,all worked like new too.My question is,should i or would you go back to get it?And how much over that $150 is reasonable to buy it?What are the games like?Thanx!edit...oh yeah,it had the printer also IIRC,in its original like new box.

Edited by Rik

Today while i was in this gaming store,this guy walked in with a boxed C64,all original like new boxes,keyboard in plastic wrap,modem,C64 original monitor.He brought it in to get whatever he can for the stuff,which was iirc $150.I mean this stuff was all unbelievable condition,all worked like new too.My question is,should i or would you go back to get it?And how much over that $150 is reasonable to buy it?What are the games like?Thanx!edit...oh yeah,it had the printer also IIRC,in its original like new box.

Edit,I meant tape drives instead of printer.Did the c64 have a printer?If it did,'m pretty sure it was there,the guy said it was the complete system.

I bought Final Fantasy X (PS2) for $1.99. THis is going to sound weird, but it is my first time playing a FF game. I sent a bit of time on it today, and I really suck at this kind of game. I think I will probably have to break down and consult a walk-through guide, which is something I barely ever do. Than again, I so rarely play RPG/questy kinds of games... maybe I will get better at it.

I'm loving this Thanksgiving vacation.

I saw a Sega CD Model 2 with a Sega Model 2 down one isle, I wanted to buy it but didn't want to spend too much (I already have 2). I kept looking around and I saw a Sega Model 1 (High-Def), Sega CD Model 1, topped off with a Sega 32X! No cables, but he did pull out two 6-button controllers.

I was thinking my max would be $50. He said $10! That's my steal-o'-the-month! It works, but games sometimes stall and the motor eject hick-ups when opening and closing. I think the lens needs to be cleaned and I little WD-40 on the track.

Sega CD Model 1 I-did-not-know-that's:

1) Never noticed that there are no buttons! No eject? Wow.

2) The lock on the side. I thought it was a laser or mechanical lock, much like a lock on a scanner. So I kept it "locked" when caring it around. Did you know that it is just to "lock down" the stereo mixing cable so it doesn't get in the way of the drive? (I felt stupid there...)

I'm loving this Thanksgiving vacation.

I saw a Sega CD Model 2 with a Sega Model 2 down one isle, I wanted to buy it but didn't want to spend too much (I already have 2). I kept looking around and I saw a Sega Model 1 (High-Def), Sega CD Model 1, topped off with a Sega 32X! No cables, but he did pull out two 6-button controllers.

I was thinking my max would be $50. He said $10! That's my steal-o'-the-month! It works, but games sometimes stall and the motor eject hick-ups when opening and closing. I think the lens needs to be cleaned and I little WD-40 on the track.

Sega CD Model 1 I-did-not-know-that's:

1) Never noticed that there are no buttons! No eject? Wow.

2) The lock on the side. I thought it was a laser or mechanical lock, much like a lock on a scanner. So I kept it "locked" when caring it around. Did you know that it is just to "lock down" the stereo mixing cable so it doesn't get in the way of the drive? (I felt stupid there...)

Nice deal!!! I hit up the thrift shop near me. for $20 I got an N64 Arcade Shark stick, clear blue Dreamcast controller, Ice Hockey for the NES and a nice looking Gravis PC Gamepad.

Edited by STICH666

Nice deal!!! I hit up the thrift shop near me. for $20 I got an N64 Arcade Shark stick, clear blue Dreamcast controller, Ice Hockey for the NES and a nice looking Gravis PC Gamepad.

Yeah, well, I gloated too soon. Everything is fine with the system except...what? I'll give you a minute to think about it. Think, high failure rate. Yeah, the Sega CD Model 1.

The loading and reading is good now. For a 10 minute test loading 5 different games it's at 100%. I'll try a longer test tomorrow. Also, the battery still works! I replaced the motor belt and cleaned the lens. The problem is the audio out on the CD (constant thumping noise). It doesn't work, I'll have to look around for a "how to" to fix it...bummer.

My local thrift has been a gold mine lately:

Just today I picked up for the 2600;

Ice Hockey

Beamrider

Turmoil

Q-Bert

All for $15, probably not the deal of the century, but this town is usually pretty dead for the classic stuff.

Here's my finds over the past six months:

$5 Atari brand heavy sixer direct from Sunnyvale

$2 5200 Zaxxon cart

$5 racing wheel and pedals - Mad Catz brand for PS1/PS2

50¢ Mike Tyson's Punch Out cart for NES

$2 DK Country 3 cart for SNES

$10 5200 4-switcher with two Atari controllers, two Wico joysticks, track ball controller, and five game carts - awesome yard sale find

50¢ Legend of Zelda gold cart for NES

$2 Mario Kart 64 cart

Been picking up a few odds and ends over the last few weeks....

Super Mario Land and Mega Man for the GameBoy

Super Game Boy for the SNES

Ascii SNES Gamepad

A.D.F.,Congo's Caper,Rival Turf and Zombies Ate My Neighbors for the SNES

Marble Madness and BurgerTime for the NES

Street Smart,Bat Man and DJ Boy for the Sega Genesis

Donkey Kong for the Atari 800 XL

Edited by jboypacman

Who has yard sales on Black Friday?

Some old dude with a big box of Atari and Intellivision stuff with a sticker that says "Make Offer". I showed a bit of interest and started to walk away because I didn't want to offer anything...he said how about 5 bucks.

:thumbsup:

I got an Atari system in the box, Atari Remote Controllers in the box, a loose Intellivision system and 48 boxed games. I didn't see anything that exciting at first glance but when I got home and started looking through the box, I found a boxed Turbo for Intellivision! The box isn't in that great of shape but the cart and instructions are great.

This beats any of the retail sales going on (IMO) and while most were at the mall, I came up on the best Atari/Intellivision find that I found in a while. You just don't see many classic video games floating around here in Phoenix.

Turbo....coming to an auction near you! :cool:

post-4103-125934067833_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpendTooMuchOnAtari

Who has yard sales on Black Friday?

Some old dude with a big box of Atari and Intellivision stuff with a sticker that says "Make Offer". I showed a bit of interest and started to walk away because I didn't want to offer anything...he said how about 5 bucks.

:thumbsup:

I got an Atari system in the box, Atari Remote Controllers in the box, a loose Intellivision system and 48 boxed games. I didn't see anything that exciting at first glance but when I got home and started looking through the box, I found a boxed Turbo for Intellivision! The box isn't in that great of shape but the cart and instructions are great.

This beats any of the retail sales going on (IMO) and while most were at the mall, I came up on the best Atari/Intellivision find that I found in a while. You just don't see many classic video games floating around here in Phoenix.

Turbo....coming to an auction near you! :cool:

post-4103-125934067833_thumb.jpg

"How about five bucks?"

How about "Yes!"

What's that on 2600 Imagic title. IA 3400 ... isn't that Fire Fighter? That Beauty and the Beast should bring a few bucks.

Today:

BurgerTime CIB for Intellivision, $4

Dig Dug, Jungle Hunt, and Vanguard all loose for the 5200, $1 each

And I needed to feed my LaserActive, so I purchased The Client and The Shawshank Redemption on laser disc for $4 each. The Client is starting to get snowy, though. Time to use that S-Video mod!

Nice Intellivision and Atari score....

Had a couple of my own yesterday....

found a 2GB Sony brand memory stick pro-duo at a local discounter for $5.49, (they also had a Hyperscan for $2.49, but I passed)

and at Blockbuster, a complete, mint copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. for $14.99. used my birthday money for that, but my boys haven't let me play it yet!!!!!!! :)

I stopped at the Goodwill near where I live, this morning after work and got:

Kingdom Hearts II (PS2, complete) - $5.00

Crash Bandicoot (PS Greatest Hits, complete) - $1.00

Lilo & Stitch (GBA, cart only) - $2.00

They also had a bunch of Super NES and Sega Genesis carts (no manuals or boxes) for around $5 each, and two NES carts (again, no manuals or boxes) for $5 -- one was Golf, and I forget what the other was.

When I left my selections at the counter while I used the restroom, the clerk apparently also slipped in a couple of PC CD's (which he charged me for), with no manuals: "Lilo & Stitch Pinball" and something called "Diva Starz," at $1.00 each. Meh. After that, I stopped off at Half Price books, and saw that they had "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2" for 14.98. I almost bought it, but... No manual.

I figure $2 for the GBA cart was probably not such a great deal, but I only have one GB cart, "Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins," and I thought it might be nice to have something else to play on my GBA.