IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

One week late, but better later than never.

Picked up these things at my friend's pawn shop:

-2 Sega Master System Control Sticks

-Metal Gear Solid for the PlayStation

-A game I was ready to buy off eBay: Salamander for the Famicom(beats the crap out of what we got in North America as Life Force, plus it comes in a SUPER COOL translucent aqua casing. Have a look: http://www.wolfgames.com/fcsalamander.JPG)

Total: $15 Canadian

Edited by Ace_1

And I needed to feed my LaserActive, so I purchased The Client and The Shawshank Redemption on laser disc for $4 each. The Client is starting to get snowy, though. Time to use that S-Video mod!

That sounds like a classic case of laser rot. No S-video mod in the world is going to fix that. (It's also possible that it was just a bad pressing... a true case of laser rot gets worse over time, and doesn't stop at a few speckles in the picture.)

Ah, laserdisc, the format that was going to be extremely cheap to press copies of... except that when they said that, they didn't understand that they needed a clean room and humidity control at the factory.

I lucked up on all of this for $10! It all works, too! Common games but for the price I'm not complaining!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2633/4141342764_d137d4cf19_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2535/4141340130_04b085a431_b.jpg

Nice! ^_^

And I needed to feed my LaserActive, so I purchased The Client and The Shawshank Redemption on laser disc for $4 each. The Client is starting to get snowy, though. Time to use that S-Video mod!

That sounds like a classic case of laser rot. No S-video mod in the world is going to fix that. (It's also possible that it was just a bad pressing... a true case of laser rot gets worse over time, and doesn't stop at a few speckles in the picture.)

Ah, laserdisc, the format that was going to be extremely cheap to press copies of... except that when they said that, they didn't understand that they needed a clean room and humidity control at the factory.

It is probably more along the lines of a bad pressing. The discs were made at the DADC plant in Terre Haute, Indiana, which was notorious for faulty laser discs. I've got several that were made at that plant, and they all have a similar picture

The LaserActive's S video mod takes video feed from somewhere on the motherboard. I don't know why for sure, but my picture is a lot cleaner and shows almost zero snow when I'm viewing over S video.

Four bucks ain't bad, though. I see DVD movies all the time for $5 and up. I get a discount and artwork big enough I can see it without my glasses.

I got the following over the weekend:

Carnival, 2600 - $1

Blackjack, 2600 - $1

Demons to Diamonds, 2600 - $1

River Raid,2600 - $1*

Pitfall!!, 2600 - $1*

Riddle of the sphinx, 2600 - $1*

SW:TESB , 2600 - $1*

Zool , GG - $2

Jurrasic park, GG - $1

*=I got these solely for their smexy labels

It is probably more along the lines of a bad pressing. The discs were made at the DADC plant in Terre Haute, Indiana, which was notorious for faulty laser discs. I've got several that were made at that plant, and they all have a similar picture

The LaserActive's S video mod takes video feed from somewhere on the motherboard. I don't know why for sure, but my picture is a lot cleaner and shows almost zero snow when I'm viewing over S video.

Four bucks ain't bad, though. I see DVD movies all the time for $5 and up. I get a discount and artwork big enough I can see it without my glasses.

I'm sitting here in my office right now that faces Sony DADC. I worked there for a year as a temp and some of there job practices are not up to par. I've seen PS1, PS2, DVD, and CD media go out with fingerprints on them (or worse) from machine operators. There supposed to wear gloves but it doesn't always work that way. Not too much has changed since the Laser Disc days.

Edited by Ghost Soldier

From Goodwill (actually, shopgoodwill.com):

1 Sega Dreamcast console, with power cord and RFU adapter - works

1 Sega Dreamcast controller, used - works

1 Sega Dreamcast controller, new in box - works

1 Sega VMU - dead battery, otherwise works (and has saved games)

1 Performance Mega Memory Card, 4 bank - works (and has lots of saved games)

2 High Frequency clear red controllers - 1 works (but the Y button sticks), and the other is a flashy paperweight with a cord sticking out of it

1 InterAct Starfire light gun - works

1 (Sega? or ASCII?) fishing controller - works

1 NBA 2K, disc only - scratched and cracked

1 NCAA College Football 2K2: Road To the Rose Bowl, complete - works

1 NFL 2K1, disc and case - works

1 WWF Attitude, disc and case - works

$22.01 for everything (unfortunately, it was $24.50 for the shipping charge).

2 High Frequency clear red controllers - 1 works (but the Y button sticks), and the other is a flashy paperweight with a cord sticking out of it

Ouch on the shipping cost's.

Ouch on the shipping cost's.

Yeah Goodwill.com has some good stuff at times, got a lot of 20 Intellivision games for a song (all of them in the box one even still sealed in plastic) but got hammered on the shipping. Their shipping and handling costs are really high. They ship everything Priority Mail.

IN their defense however, you will never have to buy shipping supplies again if you buy from them every so often....they use huge boxes and pack the hell out of them!!!!

Problem is, they just threw it all together into a plastic bag (including the NBA 2K disc, which had no case, and arrived broken), then dumped it into a giant box full of Styrofoam peanuts. Still, at least everything except the broken disc works. I've been having a lot of fun with DOA2 , which I got complete from Amazon for $3.75 (plus about that much for shipping). ^_^

OT: I've been taking the DC and DOA2 to work with me to play at lunch. A lot of my girlfriends there enjoy playing fighting games, too. The one guy who's brave enough to play against me generally gets his @$$ kicked at DOA2 about half the time. Several other guys just like watching, though (could be because I usually play as Kasumi, and usually with her sailor fuku costume). ^_^

Went to Goodwill and 2 Play-N-Trades that I have never been to and I got

Goodwill

Sealed RPG Maker - $6

Play-N-Trades

Bomberman TG-16 - $5

Galaga 7800 - free

Sweet deal Stich! :) Is it a good version? Never played it myself.

Actually it's a great version. The Saturn is still the best one IMO but this one is great to have been pulled off on an early 16 bit system.

From Goodwill, for $5.59:

Sony PlayStation (SCPH 9001), with a 4-player multitap (Sony) and four gamepads (2 Performance, one gray and one charcoal; 1 standard Sony PS controller; 1 Sony analog w/vibration). Only bought it for the multitap and the analog controller. Console and analog controller work beautifully. "A" slots (memory card & controller) work perfectly. Still need to test the other three slots and the other controllers, but it's bedtime.

Absolutely, my next door neighbor used to have one when I was younger... I just remember it DRAINING batteries hahaha. They're tough to find out here and I figured with all those boxed games a system would have been there; oh well.

Its hovering around freezing at the moment, we got hit by a pretty good snowstorm yesterday though. It was the usual wet snow/ice we get, the stuff that makes even using a snowblower a pain.