IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

A couple days ago I wrote about picking up two non-working PS2 slim consoles for $7.50. Some of you guys had some good advice on what goes wrong in these things, and I took one apart to start monkeying with it. Then I discovered that the PSU I'd tested it with (and was included in the bundle) was actually for a PSP. No wonder it didn't work!

So I hit Gamesopt hoping to find one used, but no dice. They wanted $20 for a new one. I knew I could probably get one on Ebay for around $10, so I thought maybe that would be the deal. On a whim I zapped over to Best Buy, and they had two 3rd party PSU's marked down to $5 each! When I get 'em home, I found that both my slims work. So for under $20 total I've got 2 working PS2 slims, 2 dual shock 2's, AC adapters, a not-so-useful PSP AC adapter) and a copy of Call of Duty 3 and a DVD of High School Musical that was in each one. Except for the DVD, I think that I made out. ;)

You can use Model 2 Genesis PSUs for future reference.

and he can use the high school musical DVD as a coaster!

in any case.. been a long time since I actually posted in this thread but something interesting happened on free cycle the other day. scored a Comodore 64 with floppy drive and a bunch of software.

being that it's freecycle, the cost of course was .... FREE!

haven't had a chance to dick around with it, or really look through the software, and the previous owner says he powered it all up with out video hook up and gave the drive the load command and it started spinning, so that's a good sign., went back to my storage space and picked up my old thompson composite monitor so we'll see what happens

Saw a Vic-20 in a thrift late last week. I passed on it and I couldn't tell you what the price was.

hmmm.. while I dare say I have a soft spot in my heart for the vic 20, it was my first computer... I can't say I blame ya

My first comp was a Franklin Ace 1200, and I'd have passed on one of those, too. I still can't get over how big that thing was!

• Like 1

A couple days ago I wrote about picking up two non-working PS2 slim consoles for $7.50. Some of you guys had some good advice on what goes wrong in these things, and I took one apart to start monkeying with it. Then I discovered that the PSU I'd tested it with (and was included in the bundle) was actually for a PSP. No wonder it didn't work!

So I hit Gamesopt hoping to find one used, but no dice. They wanted $20 for a new one. I knew I could probably get one on Ebay for around $10, so I thought maybe that would be the deal. On a whim I zapped over to Best Buy, and they had two 3rd party PSU's marked down to $5 each! When I get 'em home, I found that both my slims work. So for under $20 total I've got 2 working PS2 slims, 2 dual shock 2's, AC adapters, a not-so-useful PSP AC adapter) and a copy of Call of Duty 3 and a DVD of High School Musical that was in each one. Except for the DVD, I think that I made out. ;)

You can use Model 2 Genesis PSUs for future reference.

and he can use the high school musical DVD as a coaster!

in any case.. been a long time since I actually posted in this thread but something interesting happened on free cycle the other day. scored a Comodore 64 with floppy drive and a bunch of software.

being that it's freecycle, the cost of course was .... FREE!

haven't had a chance to dick around with it, or really look through the software, and the previous owner says he powered it all up with out video hook up and gave the drive the load command and it started spinning, so that's a good sign., went back to my storage space and picked up my old thompson composite monitor so we'll see what happens

I used to love freecycle, but the moderators for my local group banned me when I called them out on their misdeeds. I caught them asking for stuff before they posted the offers to the board. That's a big no-no. So is calling them on it, apparently.

Last week I grabbed a whole bunch of NES titles from a local ministry thrift store. Included was Mike Tyson's Punch Out!, Legend of Zelda, A nightmare on Elm Street and Mario/Duck Hunt with the Zapper. $1 each. As well as Real Sports Baseball in box for .50 cents.

This was all free yesterday, as a local gaming store went out of business and this was all in a big box marked free....

Xbox 360 Power supply (this thing is huge, makes a colecovision one look svelte)

Xbox 360 video cable (has a hi-def switch on it?)

Nintendo DS charging cable (my dog loves to eat these so this was good)

Nintendo N64/GC video cable

Atari 2600 power supply (always good to have a spare)

couple of blank green xbox game cases.

then later picked up Tomb Raider Anniversary, Sudeki, and Fantavision for a total of $8 at Gamestop and the hollywood video closing sale.

That complete like new,with original monitor,components still in wrap C64 i saw a while back is still at the store,turns out the potential buyer passed on it.They want $150 for it.I might grab it, I'm not sure if $150 is too much or not,not familiar with the C64 stuff. :?

Speaking of Computers I managed to score a CIB TI-99/4a(beige one) for a nice $2, and Sonic CD for $1.

I hate you :P

Anyway, today's score:

CIB Mario Teaches Typing (thought it was more rare.. oh well), VCS Night Driver, GI JOE Cobra Strike, Star Wars Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle, and Turmoil.

On non classic gaming note, I picked up a UMAX PowerLook 2100XL scanner (12x17) for $40. I kind feel like I just won $1460 with that one. Now I can finally scan my artwork and stop having "professional photos" taken of it. Haha, this scanner is bigger than the biggest scanner Kinko's has (11x14)

Oh yeah, I also found a couple boxes of this stuff http://www.gallagher.com/photos/2008/ibm_selectric_II_correcting_tape.jpg

Funny the tapes say "Use prior to 11/20/82" .. they were expired before I was born :D

Edited by jeremysart

That complete like new,with original monitor,components still in wrap C64 i saw a while back is still at the store,turns out the potential buyer passed on it.They want $150 for it.I might grab it, I'm not sure if $150 is too much or not,not familiar with the C64 stuff. :?

It's probably a bit too much, BUT depends on exactly what it is. What monitor? Do you mean it's all really truly AS NEW, all in boxes, everything flawless? Anything else come with it? Anyway, unless there's something really rare in there, $150 may be a little high, but not stupid high or anything. If it's a good monitor, you'll likely pay at least $30 to ship just that alone if you bought it from afar. Plus another $20 at least to ship the main computer, probably $25. Right there you're saving about $55 in shipping. The monitor is probably worth $50, and the C64 if it's like new, maybe $30-40 on a good day. If it has a drive, there's another $10-20 at least (which one?) and that would have cost another $20 to ship (1541's are TANKS!).

So, $150 slightly high probably. Offer $125 that would probably be okay. If you can get it for $100, I'd say that's a good deal if it's something you want and it's all super super nice.

The trade center near me uses a Commodore monitor with their surveillance cameras to watch a select amount of booths. I thought it was cool to see it put to use that way.

Personally, I think they are asking too much. Today I seen a boxed TurboGrafx, box was in mint shape, Styrofoam was mint and still bright white, and the system and all the components were still sealed in plastic. They only wanted $80 for that.

No thrifting this week, but a couple games I purchased online came in the mail. I got Spacemaster X-7 and Laser Gates. I've never played Laser Gates before, so it is a brand new 2600 gaming experience for me. It reminds me of Exocet from Panda, which I quite enjoyed (!!!) back in the day.

As with almost all my finds, this starts off with a small story. I went to the not so local thrift shop and was looking around. I was talking to myself saying "why don't they ever have any Atari stuff when this nice guy heard me and said that just last week he got a 2600 with a couple games for his kids but since they are little graphics whores, they got bored and he just packed it back up. He said he was going to give it to the church but he's rather give it to someone who could use it. I met up with him back at his house and in the lot was a mint Vader 2600, 3 controllers, all original hookups, and 8 boxed games. Ms. Pac-Man, Q-Bert, Tutankhamen, E.T., Grand Prix, Carnival, Space Attack, Phoenix. So I drive off with a complete working Vader and 8 boxed games.....until I blew a right rear tire and happened to hit a curb in the middle of nowhere. Now my axel is bent and my door is smashed in.

Edited by STICH666

a local ministry thrift store.

A nightmare on Elm Street

:rolling:

Do they have any Custer's Revenge 2600 or Debbie Does Dallas VHS tapes?

AX

Ha! Haven't seen that, but I have gotten vinyl copies of Slayer's Haunting the Chapel and Hell Awaits albums there. :lol:

Edited by GregadetH

Today's finds.....

Mickey Mania,T2:The Arcade Game,T2:Judgment Day,Paperboy and Rocket Knight Adventures for the Sega Genesis.

Wonder Boy for the Sega Master System

Sneak N Peek,Threshold,Miner 2049er,Miner 2049er Vol.II,King Kong and Jawbreaker for the Atari 2600.

Cool thing too on those 2600 games is that they were all a $1.00 a game....Making them my best Atari related finds in the "wild" ever. :D

Today's finds.....

Mickey Mania,T2:The Arcade Game,T2:Judgment Day,Paperboy and Rocket Knight Adventures for the Sega Genesis.

Wonder Boy for the Sega Master System

Sneak N Peek,Threshold,Miner 2049er,Miner 2049er Vol.II,King Kong and Jawbreaker for the Atari 2600.

Cool thing too on those 2600 games is that they were all a $1.00 a game....Making them my best Atari related finds in the "wild" ever. icon_mrgreen.gif

Nice deal, where did you come across those?

My only find today was a copy of BattleTanx for the N64. Was $5, but I hadn't found a new n64 game in forever.