IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Awesome Stich. Good to see a nice working CV. Damn hard to find one without at least some kind of issues anymore.

I know what you mean, A year ago, I thought I had a good deal in finding one for $25 on Craigs list (albeit, it is in very good cosmetic condition), and I have probably spent much more than that in parts and sweat time getting the thing to work reliably.

I went to the flea market with my GF today and picked up all this for $30:

Missile Command (Atari 8-bit, CIB)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit, CIB)

Star Raiders (Atari 8-bit, CIB)

Super Breakout (Atari 8-bit, CIB)

And as part of the lot, I also got an extremely rare pilot run 2600 adapter for the 5200. I don't want to use this, so I'm thinking of selling it and then I'll buy a regular 2600 adapter for my collection.

Haven't posted in a while but started the garage sale hunts and found a few things:

Sealed Gears of Wars 2 - $1.00

Fat purple Nintendo DS with Nintendogs: Screen a little scratched and missing stylus but works great - $6.00

Platinum Gamecube with 2 controllers and memory card - $3.00

Gamecube Super Mario Sunshine and Super Smash Bros - $1.00 for both

Wii Zelda Twilight Princess - $7.00

Prima Guide Gamecube Twilight Princess - $0.50

Clear green Nintendo 64, 2 controllers and 5 games - $5

Entex Baseball 3 electronic hand-held - $0.50

Hewlett-Packard HP-41C calculator, complete with case and all manuals - $5: I love this calculator!!

Finally, got a nice

from a fellow youtuber. Non-yellowed to boot, although I fear they'll all eventually end up that way no matter what you do. :(

No if they haven't yet, they never will, besides UV damage. They will get brittle unfortunately. ABS plastic sucks for that.

Never? Have you watched Life After People? Your SNES will implode in 300-500 years. Nothing lasts forever, the closest thing to "never" damaging would be rocks. Billions of years. :)

Finally, got a nice

from a fellow youtuber. Non-yellowed to boot, although I fear they'll all eventually end up that way no matter what you do. :(

No if they haven't yet, they never will, besides UV damage. They will get brittle unfortunately. ABS plastic sucks for that.

Never? Have you watched Life After People? Your SNES will implode in 300-500 years. Nothing lasts forever, the closest thing to "never" damaging would be rocks. Billions of years. :)

Nothing lasts forever? I dont know what the hell you are talking about, in Wall-E the 2600 was still alive and kicking!

Finally, got a nice

Nothing lasts forever? I dont know what the hell you are talking about, in Wall-E the 2600 was still alive and kicking!

Through a quick search, apparently the movie takes place in 2805. That means the 2600 would be 827 years. That seems possible, those 2600's are tough as nails, surely they can outlast a SNES! :D

I'm trying to be more financially circumspect lately, but we had a few nice yard sale finds yesterday that were too good to pass up:

Sears light sixer with owner's manual - $5 (plus the Saturday Night Fever OST on LP for $1)

SNES system with AC adapter + RF unit - FREE

Pink Floyd "Meddle" LP + "Wildman" Steve Brill's book on edible/medicinal plants - $1.75

3 CDs + SimCity 3000 CD-ROM - $1.00

Also, my girlfriend got a SNES + controllers + a bunch of games for $20, including SMW, Zelda, DKC, and Mario Paint (with mouse!). It works quite well, though it came without an AC adapter -- but then we randomly got that free SNES later the same day, so it worked out perfectly. Both systems are badly yellowed, but neither of us cares much about that.

The Sears light sixer, by the way, was especially funny since I specifically asked whether they had any old video game systems lurking around, to which they replied "no". But it was an estate sale, and people often don't know what their relatives had. When we were browsing around in the furnished basement, my girlfriend spotted the owner's manual, and the Tele-Games turned out to be right next to me -- I hadn't even noticed it. It was dusty as heck, but cleaned up nicely, and works perfectly though the cartridge slot is very tight -- my Atari-branded copy of Donkey Kong doesn't fit.

Edited by thegoldenband

Went to the local car boot sale yesterday,not much to be had but managed to find nice Time out Toss Up Game and Watch also known as Ball.It was priced up at 25 pounds UK (around 36 US Dollars) but managed to get it for 18 pounds (around about 26 US dollars) which I think is a good price. I have never found a Game and Watch at a boot sale before so I am glad I got up early to go.

post-20116-127410568472_thumb.jpg

This weekend I hit one tag sale and scored pretty big IMO.

Here is what I got:

Atari 2600 System/Wires/controllers & Pair of action paddles

20 Games all include a manuals : Donkey Kong, Demon Attack, Combat, Maze Craze, Bowling, Pitfall, Video Pinball, Yar's Revenge, Missile Command, and more...cant think of all of them (will list them after work).

Bag full of literature including System manuals, original comic, and game catalogues. ALL carts and manuals are very clean and minty. I have never owned Atari games this nice!

SNES System/Wires/Controllers

Dual Turbo Wireless Controllers CIB

2 SNES Advantage Controllers

One Sealed NIB SNES Controller

Zombies Ate My Neighbors CIB

Street Fighter II Turbo CIB

Donkey Kong Country Complete (missing Box)

TMNT 4: Turtles in Time

Super Bomberman Party Pack w/Box & MultiTap

N64 Sealed NIB Army Men 2: Sarge's Hereos 2

Sega Cd/Genesis System/Wires/Contollers

Sega CDX System/Wires/Controllers/Leather Carry Case/Camera

Sega CD Justifier Gun Second Player (pink gun)

Sega Genesis Menecer Gun CIB WITH Terminator 2 game CIB

Two Six Button Controllers CIB

Sega Genesis Games ALL CIB: Primal Rage, Bubsy (with sealed collector cards), PGA Golf Tour II, Summer Challenge

Sega CD Games ALL CIB: Links Golf, Pitfall, Chuck Rock 2, Mickey Mania, Brutal Paws of Furry, NBA JAMS, Wheel of Fortune, Trivial Pursuit, Wonderdog, Sonic CD, Sega Classics 5 in 1, Echo the Dolphin, Jaguar Racing, Lethal Enforcers (with Gun), Lethal Enforcers 2, Snatcher!!! LOOK THIS UP!!!

I have pictures, but I cant post them while at work, so a little later I will.

The total cost of this purchase.................. $40.00

Found a boxed Nintendo 64 that I spent too much money for, given the box has writing on one side and tape all over it. But still, I didn't have a N64 box, so I grabbed it.

At the same store I found a early Genesis 1 ("High Definition Graphics", extension port on the back) for $4, and three boxed NES games for $2.50 each, which helped make up for the $25 I paid for the N64.

The three NES games were RBI Baseball, RBI Baseball 3, and Tecmo Superbowl. Granted, they're sports games, but at least they're among the more collectible sports games.

Found a boxed Nintendo 64 that I spent too much money for, given the box has writing on one side and tape all over it. But still, I didn't have a N64 box, so I grabbed it.

At the same store I found a early Genesis 1 ("High Definition Graphics", extension port on the back) for $4, and three boxed NES games for $2.50 each, which helped make up for the $25 I paid for the N64.

The three NES games were RBI Baseball, RBI Baseball 3, and Tecmo Superbowl. Granted, they're sports games, but at least they're among the more collectible sports games.

Did you get styrofoam in the box for the N64? I need the styrofoam for my box. I found a really nice clean box, but It only had the system and games inside, no foam.

Man, that's a sweet haul, Jumbo. Can't wait to see some pics.

The other day I picked up a few NES games:

American Gladiators $1 - I loved this show when I was a kid. The Genesis game isn't very good, so hopefully this one is better.

Dragon Warrior II $4 - Not in the greatest shape, but can't pass it up for four bucks.

Crystalis $4 - Heard some good things about it. Hopefully it's fun.

M.U.L.E. $4 - This game is held in very high regard among Apple II, Atari 8-bit, and C64 fans. Figured for $4 I should grab the NES version.

Last week I got a Sega 6-button arcade stick off of Craigslist for $10 while out of town on business. Figured that since I was in a new city, I should scope out the CL market. Sadly, that's all I turned up but I had been looking for one of those for a while.

Also while I was on the trip, I found a pile of Saturn games. Mostly sports games and nothing that great, but most of the cases were in good shape, and even though I paid too much for them, I couldn't just leave them there. I think I got 6 games total. 1 football game, 1 golf game, Andretti Racing, Bug Too, Maximum Somethingorother, and I don't remember what else. I don't want to say what I paid because it was too much, but those games needed to be rescued.

Chris

Did you get styrofoam in the box for the N64? I need the styrofoam for my box. I found a really nice clean box, but It only had the system and games inside, no foam.

Yep, had the foam. Looks like I got everything that was promised, except for one of the two controllers (the box boasts having two controllers, but only one was in the box).

Anyone have any advice on how to get packing tape off a box without ruining the box in the process?

I tried something recently. I sent the tiki thingy to my friend who lives in South Jersey. and told him to print it out and bring it to his next flea market he went to.

well it definitely worked!!

He wound up spending around $140 for a good 50+ 2600 carts (some MIB) ($0.50-1 ea!), a bunch of Atari 800 carts ($1 ea), a few SNES MIB $2 or so ea, some PS2 ($1-2 ea!) and a 7800 console ($5!). There was more but I forgot :(

He rambled the stuff off, and I remember one was 2600 Math Grand Prix from Sears, and at least a few R5/6s too!

Usually hes LUCKY to find a few carts for $1-2 ea, and NEVER finds SNES carts.

That tiki is SICK! Too bad there hasen't been any flea markets or Garage sales lately here :(

Edited by Shantai

I tried something recently. I sent the tiki thingy to my friend who lives in South Jersey. and told him to print it out and bring it to his next flea market he went to.

well it definitely worked!!

He wound up spending around $140 for a good 50+ 2600 carts (some MIB) ($0.50-1 ea!), a bunch of Atari 800 carts ($1 ea), a few SNES MIB $2 or so ea, some PS2 ($1-2 ea!) and a 7800 console ($5!). There was more but I forgot :(

He rambled the stuff off, and I remember one was 2600 Math Grand Prix from Sears, and at least a few R5/6s too!

Usually hes LUCKY to find a few carts for $1-2 ea, and NEVER finds SNES carts.

That tiki is SICK! Too bad there hasen't been any flea markets or Garage sales lately here :(

Um, what tiki? I'm willing to try anything. I mean, it can't hurt right?

Edited by brojamfootball

Seemed like a score to me.

2 Dreamcast ascii pads, one black and yellow, one blue and white. Both look and work great.

$5 each

There were 2 more, one white and grey with some crayon on it. Another blue and white with a really loose D-Pad.

I passed them up, should I have?

n64 w/ expansion pak & lid, no ac or controllers, for $8

i also saw an SNES, no ac, for 10 and atari woodgrain 4switcher w/ 35 games, 2 controllers, a set of paddles, case & manuals for $30, but that was more than i had! I'll check back in a week when I have the $$$, but I know it won't be there. :(

I wasn't very impressed with yard sales this morning but did alright on the Wii game because I traded in a bunch of stuff that I got cheap at yard sales which wasn't ebay worthy. The Wii game was the only thing bought at a used music/game store, all others were bought at yard sales.

The Sopranos DVD sets are factory sealed, XBOX Playboy is complete and PSP Initial D Street Stage (Import) is complete as well. The John Lennon book is Really Neat, haven't seen anything like it before. It seems to do fairly well on ebay...after my wife reads it of course. ;)

Everything pictured for $50 which is kind of high IMO but I've been on the lookout for Darkside Chronicles for awhile and glad I finally picked it up used.

post-4103-127459647984_thumb.jpg post-4103-127459681241_thumb.jpg post-4103-127459681744_thumb.jpg