IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

What would the color of the Home Run playfield be if a PAL cartridge were plugged into an NTSC console?

If you have a TV with automatic v-hold, you may be playing a PAL cartridge and not even know it.

I don't think there is a PAL version, haven't found a ROM for it on my hard drive at least.

Ahh. The plot thickens.

It may also be a fried cartridge. I once owned a Defender that was a bit wonky. While it would load and seem to look normal at first, it had several issues, including not being able to fire properly.

Went to my favorite thrift at lunch today. Scored the following 2600 titles for .99 each:

Desert Falcon

Gravitar

Gopher

Lost Luggage

Mega Force

Megamania

Squeeze Box

Swordquest: Fireworld

Red label Gravitar I'm guessing?

Yeah, nothing super special but some nice obscure titles.

I passed on a stack of the norms like Centipede, Raiders OTLA, Ms. Pac Man, etc.

Picked up these 3 for 1/2-off ($1.50 each)

post-16281-127674211261_thumb.jpg

Now to get those DAMNED PRICE STICKERS OFF. They're usually not bad; a little heat from a hair dryer makes it easy; a wipe with Coleman fuel and a paper towel (light soak into the sticker) will make it release without heat.

What would the color of the Home Run playfield be if a PAL cartridge were plugged into an NTSC console?

If you have a TV with automatic v-hold, you may be playing a PAL cartridge and not even know it.

I don't think there is a PAL version, haven't found a ROM for it on my hard drive at least.

Ahh. The plot thickens.

It may also be a fried cartridge. I once owned a Defender that was a bit wonky. While it would load and seem to look normal at first, it had several issues, including not being able to fire properly.

I Might Be A Fried Cart. Because At Some Points in the game It Flickers.

How Can I See If my TV Has An Automatic V-Hold? I Don't know Too Many Tech words ;).

Some decent hits last night:

NES Legend of Zelda: $5

Sega Arcade Power Stick II: $5

N64 Controller: $4

Hopefully you got the 6-button stick with the microswitches. I bought one on CL recently but it has the same crappy parts as its 3-button counterpart.

Chris

Winter Games label a bit dirty.

Yeah, like my California Games pic a couple messages above! LOL

Don't figure there's a way to clean that puppy, eh?

Not that I've found, like AtariLeaf said it's just the fate of these carts. But as long as it plays, it's worth it!

I've had a run on the various arcade sticks for different systems this year. So far I've found them for the PS2 back to the Genesis. Funny hoe things seem to run in cycles.

Hopefully you got the 6-button stick with the microswitches. I bought one on CL recently but it has the same crappy parts as its 3-button counterpart.

Chris

No, it's just got the little rubber pads. I had to open it up to give it a thorough cleaning, it appeared to have taken a cola bath.

I've gotten a bunch of stuff in the past few weeks:

NES:

-Baseball

-Baseball Stars

-Kickle Cubicle

-Whomp 'Em

Genesis:

-Dynamite Headdy (with box)

-Star Trek: The Next Generation (with box and instructions)

Atari 5200:

-Jungle Hunt

-Q*Bert (complete with box and instructions, in really nice shape!)

All of the above were about $20, between a local flea market and Play N Trade.

And my fiance stopped at a Salvation Army today, and she asked me if I wanted any Sega Saturn games. Of course I said yes! :P

Sega Saturn:

-Gex

-Bug!

-Bug Too!

-Virtua Fighter Remix (complete in jewel case with instructions)

They were $1 each. :D

The town that I live in only has one thrift store, and it is very hit or miss. This week it hit twice! Sorry the pics are a bit blurry. I'm not very good at holding a camera steadily.

finds_061910A.jpg

Found this stuff today after lunch. The console is in near mint condition. It came bundled with Super Mario 64 and all hookups for $20. I paid $3 each for the other three games (Wipeout 64, Super Smash Bros., and Starfox 64), but I get 20% off of all purchases there with my food co-op (local grocery store for hippies like me) membership card so it was about $25 total with tax. The console has the proper board revision for RGB modding, which I will be doing tonight. I sold my N64 a few years ago and have been on the lookout for another one for quite some time now, but have ben waiting to find an RGB-moddable system. So this is great. If only it had come with Mario Kart 64...

finds_061910B.jpg

Thursday I took the day off because I had pretty painful oral surgery on Wednesday afternoon. I had to go to the hardware store, so I figured I would check the thrift store, which is around the corner. They actually put this stuff out while I was shopping so I of course snagged it. The system and all of the games were in a big plastic tub together. The system is in very nice condition, but came with an RF adapter and only one AC adapter. The cord on the 6-button controller is pretty munged at well. But the system works fine. I just need to buy some new hookups. I am actually going to buy a Genesis 2 SCART RGB cable and an RGB -> Component converter and use this Genny out in my living room with my HDTV. I have a Genny 1 / Sega CD 1 in my room hoked up to the RGB monitor. Looking forward to having Genny + SCD in the living room though.

finds_061910C.jpg

Most of the games are pretty crappy (or dupes for me), but they are all in nice condition at least. I found the book over in the books section. I never knew that Jeff Rovin wrote books for consoles other than the NES.

The best part is the price that I paid for all of the Sega stuff. The entire tub was priced at $10. That's already a freakin steal, but they were running a deal where everything in the store was half off, so I paid $5 for all of the games and the system, plus 12 cents for the book. So maybe $5.50 with tax. That's basically free.

Chris

The town that I live in only has one thrift store, and it is very hit or miss. This week it hit twice! Sorry the pics are a bit blurry. I'm not very good at holding a camera steadily.

Found this stuff today after lunch. The console is in near mint condition. It came bundled with Super Mario 64 and all hookups for $20. I paid $3 each for the other three games (Wipeout 64, Super Smash Bros., and Starfox 64), but I get 20% off of all purchases there with my food co-op (local grocery store for hippies like me) membership card so it was about $25 total with tax. The console has the proper board revision for RGB modding, which I will be doing tonight. I sold my N64 a few years ago and have been on the lookout for another one for quite some time now, but have ben waiting to find an RGB-moddable system. So this is great. If only it had come with Mario Kart 64...

Thursday I took the day off because I had pretty painful oral surgery on Wednesday afternoon. I had to go to the hardware store, so I figured I would check the thrift store, which is around the corner. They actually put this stuff out while I was shopping so I of course snagged it. The system and all of the games were in a big plastic tub together. The system is in very nice condition, but came with an RF adapter and only one AC adapter. The cord on the 6-button controller is pretty munged at well. But the system works fine. I just need to buy some new hookups. I am actually going to buy a Genesis 2 SCART RGB cable and an RGB -> Component converter and use this Genny out in my living room with my HDTV. I have a Genny 1 / Sega CD 1 in my room hoked up to the RGB monitor. Looking forward to having Genny + SCD in the living room though.

Most of the games are pretty crappy (or dupes for me), but they are all in nice condition at least. I found the book over in the books section. I never knew that Jeff Rovin wrote books for consoles other than the NES.

The best part is the price that I paid for all of the Sega stuff. The entire tub was priced at $10. That's already a freakin steal, but they were running a deal where everything in the store was half off, so I paid $5 for all of the games and the system, plus 12 cents for the book. So maybe $5.50 with tax. That's basically free.

Chris

I'm not sure if these are the dupes you already had, but theres quite a few good games there: Eternal Champions, Ceasers Palace, Sonic Spinball, and even Aladdin are all Genesis classics.

Nice score!